Rolly

How to use OMXPlayer's 'next audio stream' playback option?

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I'd like to specify a set of audio streams. Is there a file a need to create somewhere? What format should the entries take?
Thanks for your help.

johndavies

Re: How to use OMXPlayer's 'next audio stream' playback option?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:07 am

Since you have had no replies, I shall make a suggestion which may be useless. When I am preparing a list of radio stations to be played using omxplayer I use the following procedures:
Open up a textfile
Enter the radio URLs in pairs as follows:
File=URL of radio station
Title=Any meaningful title e.g. Bllack Country Radio

When you have finished the list save the textfile as a .pls one e.g. localradio.pls. If this does not work, please be more specific as to the type of audio streams that you want to play.

Rolly

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:24 pm

That's exactly what I was after, thanks.
I created a file named audioStreams.pls, I placed it in the folder /home/pi (where omxplayer creates its logs), I placed entries in the file, the likes of:
File=http://uk3.internet-radio.com:8405/live
Title=Majestic Jukebox
File=http://us4.internet-radio.com:8197/;stream
Title=EZ Hits South Florida
and launched the program from a terminal window with
omxplayer -n 1 -o local
Unfortunately, the program exits immediately with the help screen output.

gkreidl

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:15 pm

John forgot that he used omxplayerGUI instead of omxplayer directly.

omxplayer's "next audio stream" is for switching to other audio tracks inside a movie. It does not support playlists.
omxplayerGUI supports playlists (m3u and pls).
Last edited by gkreidl on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

RPi_Mike

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm

gkreidl wrote:
omxplayer's "next audio stream" if for switching to other audio tracks inside a movie.

Günter should have said "is", not if. If that had been a line of computer code, it would have generated a program-killing syntax error.

He has a history of scrutinizing my every word with the sole intent of finding any "error" he possibly can — so I thought I would briefly demonstrate that I can play the gotcha game too!

LOL

johndavies

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 pm

John did indeed forget that he had used omxplayergui to play stored llsts of radio stations. Either enter "Minimal Kiosk Browser" into a search engine or scroll down the contents of the Raspbian section until you find details of it. I would now advise any beginner to use the latest version of omxplayergui for playing media. This is part of the Minimal Kiosk Browser but works independently of it. In other words you have to save Minimal Kiosk Browser onto your pi but you do not have to load it up. The Minimal Kiosk Browser (a.k.a. kweb) is a very useful, highly adaptable and well-documented browser. I use my copy to store web sites where I can find radio URLs and to play vintage radio stations

To load in and choose from a playbox of stations you simply right mouse click on the .pls file, scroll down the list of choices to omxplayergui, left mouse click to display the stations available, left click on the box to make it active and then scroll down to the station you want to hear and left click on it.

Omxplaygergui can also play music (including a very useful random play feature which does not need a database to be updated), create and play music playlists, play saved TV and radio programmes (most easily done from bbc iplayer using get_iplayer) and play video files. If you do download the Minimal Kiosk Browser you will find omxplayergui in the Sound and Video part of the Menu or by typing omxplayergui into the LXTerminal and pressing ENTER. You can configure it to suit your saved files via the SETTINGS option and use the WEB button to access the media menu you have created using the SETTINGS option. You may need to install evince (sudo apt install evince) to call up the omxplayergui guide.

gkreidl

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 pm

RPi_Mike wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm
gkreidl wrote:
omxplayer's "next audio stream" if for switching to other audio tracks inside a movie.

Günter should have said "is", not if. If that had been a line of computer code, it would have generated a program-killing syntax error.

He has a history of scrutinizing my every word with the sole intent of finding any "error" he possibly can — so I thought I would briefly demonstrate that I can play the gotcha game too!

LOL
I'm visually impaired and sometimes I simply can't see typing or spelling error.
Usually I thank people who correct such mistakes (or proofread my manuals), but in your case I won't. I think everybody (except you) will understand it.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

RPi_Mike

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 am

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 pm
I'm visually impaired and sometimes I simply can't see typing or spelling error.

As your online buddy DougieLawson once told me, you can press the [CTRL] and [+] keys to address your visual impairment.

With each tap of the keys, the text will get bigger and easier to read. It's a nice feature, so you should definitely check it out!

Anti-gotcha clause: These instructions are intended for the Raspberry's Chromium web browser. The behavior of other browsers may vary.

johndavies

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 am

If the learning curve for omxplayergui seems too steep, you could use VLC. An enhanced and accelerated version of this is now available to Raspberry Pi users by entering "sudo apt install vlc" into a Terminal after first updating and upgrading by typing "sudo apt update" and then "sudo apt dist-upgrade". Radio Titles and Stations are entered into a Textfile in a slightly different way:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Old School HipHop/RnB
http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8068/
#EXTINF:-1,Smooth AC
http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8094/
#EXTINF:-1,UK top 40
http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8070/
#EXTINF:-1,The Rock! (Hard Rock)
http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8064/

The file is saved with .m3u at the end e.g. Radiostations.m3u. To play the radio stations you left click on the file wherever you have stored it , scroll down to "Open With", right click on "VLC Media Player", mover up and down your playlist and then select with right mouse click.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”