RPi_Mike

Re: STICKY: TUTORIAL: Build the #1 Image Viewer – Automatically in 3 Minutes!

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 pm

GeofP wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:15 pm
I have sucessfully installed feh using your tutorial..... Thank you for providing an excellent set of instructions together with background information.

It works fine displaying images, previous and next and a slideshow with images stored on the Pi SD card or a drive mounted on the USB interface.

Awesome!

GeofP wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:15 pm
However it will not display an image mounted on a remote drive..... The 500G HDD is accessed by other Pi by mounting it with the following entry in that Pi's /etc/fstab..... Do you have any idea what the problem may be?

This is definitely some kind of networking issue — or an issue with the external device's configuration. It's certainly not a graphics issue. My image-viewing solution is merely an "innocent bystander" to whatever is going on.

GPicView is a totally separate program from my solution, yet on your system it can't even move through standard image files on your remote device. Although this doesn't tell me the exact cause, it tells me all I need to know at the 30,000-foot level: For whatever reason, your remotely-accessed storage device is not behaving as a completely normal, locally-accessed Ext4 device.

And that's a problem — because no matter how a storage device is actually connected behind the scenes, it should still "look" and behave like any other storage device in order for mainstream applications to use it.

So my best suggestion is to Google around and check out some of the other forums on this site that deal specifically with remotely-accessed storage devices.

GeofP

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for your interest. I will have a go at sorting the problem.

HEMAN14

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 am

My photos are on MAC MINI any idea how to move to pi

KaPe

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:14 pm

@RPi_Mike: Thanks for the great post, which helped a lot!

Would be great if you could help me with one open question I have.
My setting is: RPi 3B+ / 7" DSI display / HDMI monitor

With the following topic I am able to run x Desktop on both screens: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=246384

I'd like to run a slideshow on the HDMI monitor but whenever I start fehshow it only shows the images on the 7" display. Is there a way to force feh to show the images on HDMI?

Thanks in advance.

Kay

Pikkuiikka

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:18 pm

Wonderful scripts! Mii thänks juu!

Slide show / folder is super, but not enough.

Still, I have one problem. I can see and navigate my NAS drive or my external HD devices just fine, but browsing a folder in File Manager has something wrong. If I open a folder with tens or even hundreds of pictures, only a few of them can be seen as a thumbnails. Very annoying and time consuming to open every file individially.

Image browser software for the Pi??

-iikka

chrisbati

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Great Script !! Thank you for the work !

I'm having an issue with the association of the fehview/fehshow commands.
I have to do it each time I want to open a file (jpg) or a folder.
I don't have any fehshow option with right click.
The "Set selected application as default action for this file type" box is checked.

Each time I do the association, the slideshow starts, then, when I leave the slideshow and I go back to the Desktop, there's no association and I have to start again with the association.

Any advice ?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Chrisbati (Rpi3B+; Raspbian latest as today)

WijnandL

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:24 pm

Beautiful script, it installed Feh faster than in 3 minutes :-).

I installed it on a RPi4 Buster desktop. I have pictures shared on a NAS and on a Windows 10 pc. The shares are in the fstab, so mounted at boot time.

When I tried to show pictures from a Windows share, feh told me to recompile with the "stat64=1" option. Ok, I did, the warning disappeared but no joy of showing pictures on that share. Only one-by-one, no show, no "next/previous picture".

In a terminal I get "File does not exist" messages, but all files do exist.
pi@pipc:~/wlpics $ fehshow Biezenstraat156
feh WARNING: ./219_grotere.jpg - File does not exist
feh WARNING: ./220_grotere.jpg - File does not exist
feh WARNING: ./221_grotere.jpg - File does not exist
feh WARNING: ./222_grotere.jpg - File does not exist
feh WARNING: ./223_grotere.jpg - File does not exist
feh WARNING: ./224_grotere.jpg - File does not exist

Showing the pictures on the NAS is no problem at all.

I tried a temporary mount via pcmanfm's network connect option: working like a charm.

So there is a difference in the path feh sees, which depends on the smb host and on the type of mount.

I hope you have a suggestion...

Regards, Wijnand

Crussader87

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am

Bro, thanks so much for this script but its not what I was looking for.
Do you mind to tell me how to undo everything?
Sorry I'm a noob

paqman

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Crussader87 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am
Bro, thanks so much for this script but its not what I was looking for.
Do you mind to tell me how to undo everything?
Sorry I'm a noob
Ha I can't help you undo everything, maybe he can, but my advice would either be just to disable it by removing the autostart from your your .config directory and just leave it as is, or just reinstall raspbian from scratch.

paqman

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Hey this is a great little script you've put together, it's going to work great for my purposes. I'm re-purposing a project I built a couple years ago and just turning into a digital picture frame for the moment. It's working fantastic, but I'd like to play around with the key mappings and other stuff a little, and for the life of me can't find the configs!

When I echo $XDG_CONFIG_HOME it show it is /home/pi/.config. However there is no feh directory under there. Looked in /root as well. No /etc/feh either. Where the heck is this feh directory where I can edit some of these settings?

Thanks again, it's a great script.

bmark3

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Everything works fine but when my pictures in portrait mode come up they are displayed sideways. Is there a way to fix this?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”