jbeale

better 180-degree view camera?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 am

Sorry this isn't specifically RPi-related but maybe someone knows. I have a 3rd-party camera board on a Pi which is (I presume) a OV5647 sensor with a fisheye lens. It sees around 170 degrees from edge to edge, and actually more than 180 degrees into the corners. Here is a picture of the module (sitting on a piece of wood, on top of my roof) and picture from it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xn9GJUpAkHGGPWDz6 The lens does have adjustable focus, but the image you see there is the best I could get from it. I'd like to find something better (less fuzzy, and better low-light performance would be good too). I know you can buy something like "STARLIGHT XPRESS OCULUS ALL-SKY CAMERA" for $1k but I'm looking for cheaper than that.

Lately I've seen what may be somewhat better quality cameras being sold as 180-360 degree view action cams, either self-contained (recording to internal SD card) or as mobile phone accessories. Are such devices available as a USB camera, so I could grab stills from it from a connected Pi?

jbeale

Re: better 180-degree view camera?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 am

For anyone else curious- I've come to the conclusion that the Dahua IPC-EW4431-ASW (which is a 4MP standalone IP camera) is a worthwhile upgrade, in the ballpark of $120. It is not really a full-circle 180 fisheye, as the rectangular sensor crops off the image circle at top and bottom (Y), but it does capture 180 degrees across the width (X). There aren't many image examples online, but it appears the daytime image clarity is a step up from what I've got now. I believe it is intended to look down or outwards; it will need some additional housing to make it weatherproof when exposed facing straight up. There are a few less-expensive USB cameras with possibly similar fields of view, but I am not so confident they would be better than my current setup.

jzief

Re: better 180-degree view camera?

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Did you find a camera for this project? Were you hoping to have an all-sky camera for night-time viewing? There's a good guide for that on instructables for a wireless Pi one using a ZWO camera which looks good for night time shots and is around $150 I think.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”