geekinchief

Best Mounting / Project Box for Pi Zero 'Window to Scotland'

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm

So I'm working on a multimedia project for a friend at work. He loves watching webcams of Scotland and so I designed a simple Pi Zero W setup where a python script loads a series of live streams of Scottish points of interest and one can use a potentiometer to "change the channel" to different cams. The goal is to hook this up to an old monitor we have and hang it on the wall so he can always look at it.

So I've got the old monitor and the Pi and the potentiometer and I've got a python script that uses OMXplayer to make it work, although I'm not sure I want to stick with a potentiometer because it's hard to tell how far you've advanced and there's like 10 second pause where the screen goes black when changing cam feeds (if anyone knows how to fix that, please let me know). But my main issue is how I physically mout the pi and all the associated pieces (the MCP3008 ADC chip, the potentiometer, the Pi Zero W) to the screen or at least to a neat box that I can hang just below the screen.

Is there a good project box that has holes for the Pi Zero? Should I use a protoboard to attach the dial and the ADC chip? Any advice appreciated.

Andyroo

Re: Best Mounting / Project Box for Pi Zero 'Window to Scotland'

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:16 pm

I would forgo the pot and use a push button or two as they have better tactile feedback.

As for a case, I’ve been very happy with https://shop.sb-components.co.uk/collec ... white-case though mine is in clear plastic.

The advantage is the case has a slot on the back for screw mounting - mine is screwed to the side of a bookcase out of the way :D
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”