apetrov1x5

trying to install zoneminder

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am

hi, this is my first RPi (and my first message on any RPi dedicated fora) so I hope this is the right section for my question.

I would like to have 4 IP cameras connected to my Pi and an external HDD for writing events captured by the cameras. I decided that ZoneMinder is the way to go. But all tutorials assume that one is an experienced RPi user, which I am not. At all.

Before I start listing the errors I get during failed installations, I would like to make sure that I am starting from the right OS.
What is the OS that suits my needs best please? I have installed NOOBS but not sure I did everything correct there, so I would like to troubleshoot that too if possible.

P.S. Ideally I see my board running a NAS, VPN server and email server along with zoneminder, but maybe I want too much from it???

B.Goode

Re: trying to install zoneminder

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Since this is a 'first steps' question it demands a 'first steps' answer.
Before I start listing the errors I get during failed installations, I would like to make sure that I am starting from the right OS.
What is the OS that suits my needs best please? I have installed NOOBS but not sure I did everything correct there
NOOBS is an Installer that supports a new user through the process of installing an Operating System. If you see the NOOBS Recovery Console when you boot your RPi then you have done it correctly.

If you have already gone further and used the NOOBS Installer to install an Operating System such as Raspbian then your RPi will boot directly into that Operating System.

If you are not sure of your needs the Raspberry Pi Foundation recommended and supported Raspbian Operating System is probably the correct first choice. But this decision might be influenced by any alternative recommendation from the documentation for the specific application you are aiming to install.

Edit: to add that Zoneminder has its own support forum and perhaps you will be more likely to get knowledgeable replies about that specific package there? For example: https://forums.zoneminder.com/viewtopic.php?t=25810

apetrov1x5

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 am
Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Since this is a 'first steps' question it demands a 'first steps' answer.
What is the OS that suits my needs best please? I have installed NOOBS but not sure I did everything correct there
NOOBS is an Installer that supports a new user through the process of installing an Operating System. If you see the NOOBS Recovery Console when you boot your RPi then you have done it correctly.

If you have already gone further and used the NOOBS Installer to install an Operating System such as Raspbian then your RPi will boot directly into that Operating System.

If you are not sure of your needs the Raspberry Pi Foundation recommended and supported Raspbian Operating System is probably the correct first choice. But this decision might be influenced by any alternative recommendation from the documentation for the specific application you are aiming to install.

Edit: to add that Zoneminder has its own support forum and perhaps you will be more likely to get knowledgeable replies about that specific package there? For example: https://forums.zoneminder.com/viewtopic.php?t=25810
many thanks for your answer.

I will check tonight what version I have installed.

I was following the wiki https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Raspbian and some of the requirements are not clear to me:

SD card created with raspbian Jessie 64bit - will check that tonight again
filesystem is extended. - I googled for extended filesystem, but the answers were related to expanding the filesystem so I assume it is the same thing?
the systems boots in console mode with autologin disabled (X is disabled)
- no idea on this step, what should one do here?

I was thinking of moving to zoneminder forum after I sort out the general questions above, which are preconditions to installing ZM

Many thanks!

B.Goode

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm

I don't have any alternative advice to give, but just to point out that the write-up you have cited is quite outdated.

The last release of Raspbian to be based on Jessie was in July 2017, being superseded by Raspbian Stretch almost exactly 12 months ago. There have been 5 subsequent update releases of Raspbian Stretch since then.

There is only one stream of official releases of the Raspbian Operating System from the Raspberry Pi Foundation so mandating a 64 bit version is probably not helpful.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”