TLoATDaE

Help installing and compiling VLC for my RPi3 under Raspbian

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am

I realize there are other threads covering this specific request/problem, and want to apologize for making this new thread as my frustration in trying (unsuccessfully) to wade into the thread archives for useful information, only to get lost and even more frustrated...

What I am looking for is as follows:

A Step-By-Step process for installing, downloading, compiling and testing VLC with Hardware Acceleration on a Raspberry Pi 3B running Raspbian Desktop as installed from the latest version of NOOBs (2.8.2).

So far, I get lost in the sea of dependencies, the downloading of tar.xz files, attempts to create a make file, and the errors in missing dependencies that need to be there to allow the make to happen (I'm looking at YOU, "gettxt"!!!)

Ehem...

At any rate, I have the versions involved as listed here:
NOOBs 2.8.2 (from the local Download Page)
VLC 3.0.3 from Here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/
gettxt-0.19.8.1 from Here: https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/
I have both Codec Licenses installed and checked, so that's not an issue.

All in all, the other threads seem to be out of date by nearly two years, and refer to versions that are less than current.

As an aside, I also have OSMC installed (through NOOBs in dual boot), and it runs things very well, so that's not an issue.

So far, I follow the following instructions:

1) Format the MicroSD Card and verify the file structure (32GB in FAT32) I use SDFormatter (Freeware)
2) Copy all of the files for NOOBs 2.8.2 onto the card
3) Verify that I have my USB keyboard and mouse connected, and my monitor and analog sound plugged in and powered up
3b) Insert the card into my Raspberry Pi 3B and plug in the Pi to boot it up
4 ) Upon boot-up, I set up my WiFi access to get all the options on the boot list
5) I choose US English and US Keyboard layout
6) I choose Raspbian, Data Partition and OSMC, and click on Install, then Yes, to verify the over-write and continue
If you don't want to know about my OSMC Configuration, Skip to Step 12
7) Upon boot-up, I first choose OSMC:
7a) I choose OSMC from the list, followed by "No Thanks" on the newsletter prompt
7b) I set my Language to English, and Yes to verify
7c) Region to America, with Toronto as my Timezone
7d Accept osmc as current device name
7e) Verify that SSH is enabled, and click accept again
8) manually set up my Wifi
8a) Enable the WiFi adapter
8b) Choose my Router from the list, and enter my Key code, then click Done and Exit
9) Click Yes to "Check for updates now"
9a) Click OK to accept that "there are no updates available"
10) Click My OSMC from the side menu
10a) On the Pi Config choice, I enter the Codec Licenses, then return to the main menu
11) I choose Settings, then System and Audio
11a) under the Audio output device, I choose PI: HDMI and Analogue then return to the main menu
Raspbian Setup starts here:
12) Reboot the system and choose Raspbian
13) I Click Next to step through the setup:
13a) I choose Canada "Canadian English" and Toronto, then Next
13b) Password Change for the "pi" user
13c) I then choose my Router again, and enter the Key Code (again)
13d) Next and Next again (to check for updates)
13e) I then go change my Keyboard to US English from Canadian French (why does it go to french by default?)
14) I open my Terminal Window and enter the following:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
14a) I add my Codec License info to the file
decode_MPG2=0x0000000
decode_WVC1=0x0000000
14b) ctrl+x, y, then Enter to save and close the file
15) Exit the terminal and Reboot (from the Desktop Menu)

And there we have it so far: My step by step process for installing my Raspberry Pi System so far.

For reference, I usually install I2C for my RealTime Clock, Firefox ESM for a Browser and the XScreensaver Modules, but these are extras, and shouldn't be too influential on getting VLC downloaded, compiled and running properly...

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this rather frustrating issue! I really want this system to be fully functional under both chosen OSs!

gkreidl

Re: Help installing and compiling VLC for my RPi3 under Raspbian

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 am

Nobody has successfully compiled VLC 3.x with OpenMax or MMAL support so far. It is simply broken.

If you follow my tutorial step by step, you can compile version 2.2.8 with HW acceleration on Raspbian. I have not tested it on OSMC.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=195221
You don't have to "wade into thread archives". It's all in the first post of the thread, which I'm updating regularly.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

TLoATDaE

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for getting back to me on this! It is appreciated greatly!

That thread looks familiar, but I'll try the use of those commands in a copy and paste method, and see how well it works for me this time and let you know.

Ultimately, the good news is: I don't need it for the OSMC part of things, as that seems to be running without incident.

Again, Thanks!

TLoATDaE

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 am

OK, I have followed the commands in the tutorial page as linked above.

Oddly, my first microSD card always got errors when I tried to update and upgrade the Raspbian...

Different card, and now, no errors, so Hooray Me!

The make seems to have gone well.

I had to scroll down to find the internal settings for VLC to get it to actually play the video part in sync with the audio (OpenMAX IL video output) and I was off to the races!

Thanks for the fairly easy to follow directions! They are a lifesaver!

Just one little question:
In the post, you have a section of code that seems to be just a list, and not actually code that needs to be done anything with.
My question is this: Do I need to actually DO something with that code, or am I correct in assuming it's only a list?
My result are functional, so I am guessing it's not critical, but I did want to ask in the event that I missed something important that will eventually bite me later.

Thanks again!

gkreidl

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:36 am

The list contains the names of the VLC packages which you have to remove, if you had VLC previously installed from the repository.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”