ultrarunner2018

Driver for Behringer UMC202HD ?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:57 am

Hi;
I just ordered a Pi 3 b+. I will need to connect my Behringer UMC202HD audio interface to the Pi, as I have read that the audio output on the Pi isn't so great, and I will also need audio input, which the Pi doesn't have.

Would it be safe to assume that since I can use the UMC202HD on Ubuntu 18, that I will also be able to use it with the Pi?
I understand that Raspbian is a Debian variety, but I would hope that if there is a driver for Ubuntu, that there might also be one for Debian Linux.

Thanks

Ultrarunner

fruitoftheloom

Re: Driver for Behringer UMC202HD ?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 am

ultrarunner2018 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:57 am
Hi;
I just ordered a Pi 3 b+. I will need to connect my Behringer UMC202HD audio interface to the Pi, as I have read that the audio output on the Pi isn't so great, and I will also need audio input, which the Pi doesn't have.

Would it be safe to assume that since I can use the UMC202HD on Ubuntu 18, that I will also be able to use it with the Pi?
I understand that Raspbian is a Debian variety, but I would hope that if there is a driver for Ubuntu, that there might also be one for Debian Linux.

Thanks

Ultrarunner

Yes most USB2 Sound Cards are supported by Linux, no special drivers are usually required.....
Adieu

ultrarunner2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks. I seem to recall that when I installed Ubuntu 18.0 I did not need to do anything to get the UMC to work. Ubuntu 14.0 was not so great in that respect, but that was about five years ago now, and Linux has come a long way since then.

It is unfortunate that the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a decent sound system onboard. With so many single-chip solutions, you would think they would build something with HD sound. From what I read, the Pi 3 b+ uses PWM to produce sound. That, IMO, is not going to produce anything close to HD sound.
But since I already have the Behringer UMC202HD, I will have what I need. I will only need to build/buy some sort of switch so that I can switch the AI from my Windows PC to the Pi without having to disconnect from one USB and plug into another. I'll be looking for such a switch at Amazon or elsewhere, but I could build one myself, albeit at a higher cost.

rpdom

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:03 pm

ultrarunner2018 wrote:
It is unfortunate that the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a decent sound system onboard. With so many single-chip solutions, you would think they would build something with HD sound.
It does. The HDMI output.

ultrarunner2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:03 pm
ultrarunner2018 wrote:
It is unfortunate that the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a decent sound system onboard. With so many single-chip solutions, you would think they would build something with HD sound.
It does. The HDMI output.
Hey; Thanks. I had completely forgotten about the HDMI.
So, I guess if I plug a 3.5mm plug into the "audio out" jack on my Samsung monitor, the audio will play through whatever is connected to that plug rather than the built-in speakers. It's been a long while since I've used headphones or any other audio device connected to the monitor.

And I would assume that HDMI will also record audio, as there is an "audio in" jack on the monitor as well.

I guess I'll have to wait until I receive my Pi and set it up to see what else I might need/want to connect to it.

rpdom

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm

ultrarunner2018 wrote:
And I would assume that HDMI will also record audio, as there is an "audio in" jack on the monitor as well.
No, the Pi has no built-in audio input capability.

ultrarunner2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:04 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm
ultrarunner2018 wrote:
No, the Pi has no built-in audio input capability.
So if I want to input audio I will need the Behringer AI.

ultrarunner2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Just thought of something that might be a show stopper:
If I use HDMI for audio output from the Pi, I will need to keep the HDMI monitor powered on while only playing audio. That isn't very good, as I am listening to the music at night, while I sleep. I really don't like to keep any monitors powered on while they're not in use.
I'm not sure what will happen if I tell Raspbian to put the monitor to sleep; will that also cut off the audio? I would bet that it does.
Same thing will happen if I turn off the monitor - no sound.
so it is looking like I have to make a choice here:

1. Get an HDMI to RCA adapter to play the audio
2. Use the analog output built-into the Pi (that may be poor quality).
3. Plug my Behringer UMC202HD into the USB port on the Pi, and hope the music will play without glitches
4. Buy an add-on sound card for the Pi. I've been reading about one named HiFiBerry.

Once my Pi arrives, and I have it set up, I will just play around with it and see what it can and cannot do. That's most of the reason I bought the Pi anyway... I can still use my old smartphone as my audio player if I can't get the Pi to do what I want it to without expensive add-ons.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:23 am

Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

ultrarunner2018

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Well, I received my pi 3 b+ yesterday. I set it up with my HDMI monitor, so the audio was defaulted to play through it's speakers.
That didn't sound very good; although it was tolerable. I plugged my Koss SportaPro headphones into the monitor's output jack. Again, the sound was OK, but not great. Certainly not the quality I am used to listening to from the Behringer UMC202HD on my Windows or Ubuntu PC.

Next, I plugged the UMC202HD into one of the USB ports on the pi. It was recognized right off, so I set it to the default, but I did have to reboot in order for sound to begin playing through it. Once I did that, I was rewarded with the clean, loud sound that I am used to. Using only the simple player "LXMusic simple music player", the audio was clean and loud - just as it is from my PC. I didn't have any issues with playing any of the .ogg files I loaded.

So I have made my decision: I need a dedicated sound system for the pi.
I am leaning on going with an add-on "hat" vs another USB device (or sharing the Behringer UMC) because it wouldn't use up the last USB port on the pi. I am already using the other 3 for keyboard, mouse, and a 128GB USB flash drive. I may or may not want to keep that flash drive connected, as I did buy the 64GB SD card for the pi, so there is plenty of space for music files and other stuff I do with the pi. That said, I have not yet made a decision on the audio system. I think I want input as well as output, so I will require more than just a simple stereo output.
I have decided that I do not want to share the Behringer UMC between the PC and the pi.

I am going to do a lot more research on this before making any decision.
If anyone has any recommendations for the add-on stereo in/out board (I have looked at both the HiFi Berry (no input) and the "Audio Injector" stereo sound card (both in and out), I would appreciate your input.

Thanks
Ultrarunner

gennargiu

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:41 am

hi , you must setting your behringher audio card on qjack and alsa driver. It work perfect on rpi3. I used behringer uca 200 on raspbian stretch and ubuntu mate 16.04 lts arm version and full work recognized on rpi3

gennaro
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”