eludlow

Info display screen

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi there - I have a wall mounted TV in a corridor I use to display welcome information etc. The TV has no ethernet port, just HDMI in. I used to drive this via a PC the other side of the wall but I now want to use a spare Raspberry Pi I have kicking about. There's an ethernet port on the wall behind the TV I can connect the Pi to and then just sit it behind...

Any suggestions on how to use the Pi for this? Simplest would be display a Powerpoint, or series of images etc. Longer term, would think about running a local install of Xibo or similar?

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks.

dividuum

Re: Info display screen

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:19 pm

eludlow wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:07 pm
Hi there - I have a wall mounted TV in a corridor I use to display welcome information etc. The TV has no ethernet port, just HDMI in. I used to drive this via a PC the other side of the wall but I now want to use a spare Raspberry Pi I have kicking about. There's an ethernet port on the wall behind the TV I can connect the Pi to and then just sit it behind...

Any suggestions on how to use the Pi for this? Simplest would be display a Powerpoint, or series of images etc. Longer term, would think about running a local install of Xibo or similar?

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks.
The keyword you're searching for is "digital signage". I'm running a digital signage service (https://info-beamer.com/hosted) for the RPi and it can be used for exactly that. Running Powerpoint directly is not possible, but recent Powerpoint versions can export a presentation as an MP4 video file which the Pi can then play. If you're interested in trying this out, just use this package , upload your exported MP4 file, assign it to a setup and install it on a Pi. The installation itself is pretty simple. Let me know if you have any questions.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”