50sman

Stream video from action cam over 5.8 Ghz to the RPI

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 am

Hi.
I am very new to RPI.
I wonder if it is possible to stream video from an action cam (like GoPro/Firelfly e.tc) equipped with a Eachine TX transmitter to the RPI equipped with the USB ROTG02 reciever?

Today I am using a GoPro where I have added a transmitter using 5.8 Ghz. As a reciever I have either a Samsung S6 equipped with the Eachine ROTG02 reciever using the Go FPV app or a PC with same ROTG02 reciever and VLC. In VLC the reciever is detected as a webcam.

Now I have seen that VLC is available for RPI aswell so my question. Do you think it will work to attach the ROYG02 reciever to the RPI and then use the VLC?
Do I need to do some "programming" to make it work or will VLC in RPI detect the reciever as a webcam?

Or is there any other solutions to make the ROTG02 functional in RPI and then some python script to have the image on a screen?

Input is highly appreciated.

topguy

Re: Stream video from action cam over 5.8 Ghz to the RPI

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am

There is a probability that the ROTG02 will be detected as a generic webcam.
( This video shows that the ROTG01 at least was UVC compatible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBePhvjMW0 which normally works well on Linux.)

So there could in theory be many applications what could work with it.

50sman

Re: Stream video from action cam over 5.8 Ghz to the RPI

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 am

Any suggestions on applications?

When I type the lsusb command I can see that the reciver is discovered as Arkmicro Technologies Inc with ID 18Qqc:5850
I have also been visiting the Linux UVC driver and tools site (http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#download) but as a newbee I did not understand so much.

When I run VLC on the RPI and open the "catch device stream" and click cpature name I get automatically filled in /dev/video0. When I press enter the vlc changes its size and I can see the text v412///dev/video0 in the bottom of the black screen. It seems like vlc "stream" something but it lack some codec or similar.

Any suggestions? or any other applications to test?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”