kirre

A "simple" instrument

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Hello everyone! I have had an urge for some time to buy a Raspberry Pi and turn it into a simple intuitive synth for me to play around and eventually use on stage with my band! I know exactly what I want but not how to achieve it, though I do believe this will be achievable with a Pi!

So the idea to have a simple analog-style synth with mostly (we'll get to that) set parameters that pretty much plays a standard sine wave. And a simple delay effect. I figured to find some kind of software synth with built in fx would be the easiest way to solve this? I guess I will be using the HifiBerry as a DAC. I will control it with my MIDI-keyboard. Hopefully, this is the easy part.

Next thing is, i want to have five knobs on the box that I'll build that control Attack, Release, Time and Feedback (on the delay), and a volume knob.

I have read about some different software but haven't yet found anything that I know can do the job. Sonic Pi was a promising candidate but i read somewhere that it won't release notes like a regular synth (please do correct me if I'm wrong!).

As some of you probably can tell already, I am a complete beginner, so try and be patient with me! Just pointing me in the right direction would make me very grateful! :D

B.Goode

Re: A "simple" instrument

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 am

Sonic Pi was a promising candidate but i read somewhere that it won't release notes like a regular synth (please do correct me if I'm wrong!).

Why not check for yourself rather that depending on someone else?

Sonic Pi is installed by default in the Raspbian Operating System: the only cost is your time.

It seems to have full code-controlled ASDR - how does that fall short of what a 'regular synth' provides? Documentation at https://sonic-pi.net

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 am

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 am
Sonic Pi was a promising candidate but i read somewhere that it won't release notes like a regular synth (please do correct me if I'm wrong!).

Why not check for yourself rather that depending on someone else?

Sonic Pi is installed by default in the Raspbian Operating System: the only cost is your time.

It seems to have full code-controlled ASDR - how does that fall short of what a 'regular synth' provides? Documentation at https://sonic-pi.net
Oh sorry, my Pi hasn't arrived yet so I didn't actually know that :D. And yes, I know that I should probably experiment and stuff before coming here. What i read is about that the way Sonic Pi works is that it needs to know rhe durarion before the sound is launched. Which may only apply to the samples or maybe it's just outdated facts?

But the reason I'm asking here is simply to know if anyone has any experience or an idea of the best way for me to go about this. I don't doubt people have done similar things before. Let me stress that I am a complete beginner. And don't joke about time, I hold time dearly :D

But thanks for your answer!

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am

*sigh*

I have googled quite alot. But I still can't decide on what way to go about this. If it's so easy for you, how do you think I should do this?

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 am

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/rpi-soft-s ... t-started/

This seems the most promising I've found somfar, although I don't yet have any idea how I can incorporate the delay..

PiGraham

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 am

There seems to be a bit of conflict between "simple" and the level of control you want.
How about

http://zynthian.org/ with Dexed FM synth plugin?

It looks like you can add as much complexity and control as you like.

PiGraham

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

kirre wrote:
Next thing is, i want to have five knobs on the box that I'll build that control Attack, Release, Time and Feedback (on the delay), and a volume knob.

Is that a reverb? You want to control it per note?

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:44 am

PiGraham wrote:
There seems to be a bit of conflict between "simple" and the level of control you want.
How about

Well, I thought it was simple. I basically only want to be able to play a sine wave that i can change the attack and release time on, and an echo. The echo i would believe is the hardest part, so finding a synth with a built in echo/delay would probably be the easiest route. Will definetly check out Dexed, altough it's an FM synth, not "analog", so it might even be overcomplicating things!

PiGraham wrote:
kirre wrote:

No, a delay as in echo. The kind with repeats that you can differentiate with your ears :D

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Pure Data seems like a good alternative! I'm learning it right now.

PiGraham

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 pm

kirre wrote:
PiGraham wrote:
How about

Well, I thought it was simple. I basically only want to be able to play a sine wave that i can change the attack and release time on, and an echo. The echo i would believe is the hardest part, so finding a synth with a built in echo/delay would probably be the easiest route. Will definetly check out Dexed, altough it's an FM synth, not "analog", so it might even be overcomplicating things!

PiGraham wrote:
kirre wrote:

No, a delay as in echo. The kind with repeats that you can differentiate with your ears :D
As far as I'm concerned an FM synth is analog, originally built using analogue electronics and is typically defined by waveform, modulation and ADSR envelope.

Your description of delay and mix could apply to reverb or echo, depending on the delays and how coherent the mix is. So what you want is big delays and coherent echoes.
What you didn't answer is whether you want this per note or as an overall effect. I would guess it will be easier to do as an overall effect than per note.

I expect you can find an echo filter for Zythian. They list reverb and chorus "& much more"

The Wiki lists "Plugins that work with MOD-UI including "Delay" and "Echo"

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynt ... th_Engines

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm

PiGraham wrote:
kirre wrote:
PiGraham wrote:
How about

PiGraham wrote:
As far as I'm concerned an FM synth is analog, originally built using analogue electronics and is typically defined by waveform, modulation and ADSR envelope.

Your description of delay and mix could apply to reverb or echo, depending on the delays and how coherent the mix is. So what you want is big delays and coherent echoes.
What you didn't answer is whether you want this per note or as an overall effect. I would guess it will be easier to do as an overall effect than per note.

I expect you can find an echo filter for Zythian. They list reverb and chorus "& much more"

The Wiki lists "Plugins that work with MOD-UI including "Delay" and "Echo"

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynt ... th_Engines
Oh sorry! Yeah I want it overall, I kind of glossed over your question because I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Yes I know an FM-synth is analog, what I meant is that i'm not as familiar with FM synthesizers as I am with simpler moog-style analog synths.
I've had the impression that FM synths do a whole lot more than i ever need this to do, altough that isn't necessarily a negative. But I will definetly check out Zynthian then too, seems to have everything I need.

Thank you very much for your patience!

kirre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm

I can also see now that there is a TAL analog-style synth compatible with MOD-UI in Zynthian. Seems like I found my match!

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”