ski522

Re: USB soundcard...Finally good (non HDMI) Analog Audio

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Again...do you have the whine if you use headphones...I don't, so it points to the problem being the amp board(s). That's a headphone jack on the board, not a line out jack.

johnmatrix

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 am

Hey guys,

has anybody got DTS and AC3 passthrough working? I got the exact same sound card with my Pi (raspbmc) , I activated multi sink and the formats pcm, dts-iec61937 and ac3-iec61937. I can select the IEC device in the audio engine as passthrough device, activated coaxial output and that my receiver supports DTS and AC3. When I play an MKV with AC3 I don't hear anything, checking on sink inputs, there's nothing. Is there anything I'm overseeing? Thx for any help.

ski522

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

After looking at the block diagram for the TI PCM2704, it should do DTS/AC3 pass-through, but when I tried this on Pi playing a movie with 5.1 AC3 sound using mplayer I can't get it to work. I suspect the issue is with the Pi's USB sound driver and that's it's only recognizing the analog device or the card itself has only been wired to support analog only. When I get home later I'll try experimenting with my Linux based HTPC and see if the card will pass AC3 using my HTPC.

doveman

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

I thought I read it only accepts 2.0 input, though I could be wrong.

ski522

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:57 pm

doveman wrote:I thought I read it only accepts 2.0 input, though I could be wrong.
I tested this card on my Linux HTPC and was able to do 5.1 DTS & AC3 pass-through, so their is a problem with the Pi's USB sound driver if I had to guess. The command I used on both was

Code: Select all

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=2.0 -vo null -ac hwdts,hwac3 movie.mkv #htpc
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 -vo null -ac hwdts,hwac3 movie.mkv #pi 
So maybe some one can do more experimenting. I only use the card for music .

johnmatrix

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Ok, that's a good thing, that it should be possible. Is there anything I could do to fix the problem with the driver?

ski522

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Don't really know the answer to that question. It's possible it's just a configuration in some file or something got missed when the kernel was compiled for the Pi. Maybe someone in this forum thread could provide a better direction: http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1052

massayoshi

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 pm

massayoshi wrote:Just confirming that my issue was due to the USB bug. Took the usb wifi adapter out and it worked like a charm.
Don't know if it has to do with the fact that MP33 patched somethings and I rpi-update'd or because I upgraded the 2-year-old firmware of my router or maybe both, but I can safely say that I don't need the ethernet cable to stream music to my RPi anymore. Everything's running wirelessly now. Thank you all for helping.

zaxxon007

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I use PCM2704 connected to receiver and have no ground issues and no popping sound.

flosspike

Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 am

I think I'm going through a thick phase. I wonder ski522, could you give me some assistance. I have a Rpi, running XBMC Frodo / openELEC. All seems great except the audio. Found myself reading your posts. Actually I stumbled across an hdmi-hdmi+audio prior, which works great on the TV inside the house but the main reason for the Rpi is to fit it in the minibus where I use a Samsung monitor, if I do I loose the picture or rarely it's mostly green. Remove the HDMI-HDMI+Audio device and the picture is perfect. I have a rather large amplifier in the minibus and the popping sounds make me change lane..! So, I bought the little PCM2704 off ebay but I haven't found a way to make it work. I've missed something but my understanding is, its not a plug n play device when it comes to xbmc. I plugged the PCM2704 into the laptop and it works fine. So, the HDMI audio extractor is fine for inside the house but useless on the Samsung monitor in the bus.

I have also tried increasing the drive down the HDMI lead and even bought 0.5m patch leads, still the same. So PCM2704 is my choice for the bus.

ski522

Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't use XBMC on the PI. The problem (at least from what I last remember) is that XBMC has it's own audio system built in and doesn't use ALSA which is Linux's most used sound interface system, kind of dumb on XBMC behalf to at least not keep ALSA as an option. XBMC used to support ALSA and if that was still the case you'd have no problem using the PCM2704 with XBMC.

There was a forum in which someone had gotten XBMC to use the PI and can be found here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1052...or at least it was at one time, I'm currently getting a "Error 503 Service Unavailable" when trying to go to that web site.

For music the PCM2704 works great, but if you want to use it for video playback, not so much.

flosspike

Thu May 09, 2013 5:35 pm

thank you ski522. Website had a hard drive failure but it's up and running now. Since my Samsung monitor has dual inputs (VGA & HDMI), I've ordered one of these units http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009CRN810/r ... _M3T1_dp_1 I'm hoping it'll solve my problem.

I'm testing raspBMC and the link you supplied may work to a degree. raspBMC seems to perform similar to openELEC version however I'm seeing some sync issues that I didn't see in openELEC. If this £12 HDMI to VGA + Audio unit works then I'll settle for openELEC rather than try and tweak the raspBMC version.

I'll post again with the results, just in case anyone else in the same boat.

pukulsesuatu

Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 pm

avid_mirco_usb.jpg
maudio micro
avid_mirco_usb.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 9269 times
Hi All ,I am have a USB audio Midiman Maudio micro and trying to use it but i cant see my sound card usb not detect on aplay -l and don't hear any sounds from my USB soundcard. This my LXterminal output
lsusb

Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0763:201a Midiman M-Audio Micro
dmsg

3.779260] usb 1-1.3: Product: M-Audio Micro
[    3.788262] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: M-Audio
[    3.872654] usb 1-1.2.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
[    3.993843] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=14ac
[    4.006763] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumb
aplay

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
Thanks you i hope somebody give a information about how to configure maudio micro.

flosspike

Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 am

As per previous post, this £10'ish Amazon HDMI to VGA + audio output works perfectly unlike the hdmi to hdmi + audio by HDview that's fine with the TV but not the samsung monitor. I can keep the slightly faster openELEC xbmc setup.

I know for some there's the challenge in getting the audio output nice but for me throwing £10 at the problem is far easier and less complicated. One word of warning, just check the power supply. When I first plugged it in I must have max'd out the little usb adaptor i was using as the picture & sound kept coming / going. plugged the Pi into my iPhone charger and it worked just fine.

Does beg the question, should I now test the other "all digital" adaptor or just install it all in the van and screw it back together. I don't want to know tbh, If it did work, then that's £10 down the drain.

hope I've helped someone in a similar situation.

doveman

Sat May 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Can this adapter be used just to get the audio out of the HDMI, whilst still using the Pi's composite video out?

If so, it might be an option for me to get better quality audio. It may be possible to use the VGA to a CRT TV's SCART input with an appropriately wired cable, as I've done with PC's in the past but it probably won't allow me to setup the precise sync/resolution settings to do that (I used Powerstrip on the PC to achieve this).

doveman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Why do HDMI->Analog converters cost at least £25 when optical->Analog converters can be had for £10 or less? Surely they're both just converting digital audio to analog.

I don't think I want to risk that Amazon HDMI->VGA+Analog adapter considering some of the reports about it damaging the RPi. Trying to get a USB soundcard working just seems like another load of hassle and I don't really want to wait for something that will plug onto the GPIO header as I'm already using that to power the RPi, so unless it passes the pins through to the other side I won't be able to use that anyway, not to mention having to rebuild my case to accomodate it.

seanp25

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:19 pm

I've just this card today and it's playing audio great from the analog audio output on it, using

aplay -Dhw1,0  audio.wav
I don't get any output from the optical TOSLink, does this have to be selected separately?

doveman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Just wondering if this PCM2704 USB soundcard can be used with XBMC yet or if there's still problems doing so?

ski522

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:02 am

seanp25 wrote:I've just this card today and it's playing audio great from the analog audio output on it, using

aplay -Dhw1,0  audio.wav
I don't get any output from the optical TOSLink, does this have to be selected separately?
I don't believe so, my card plays out of both the TOS and analog port at the same time. Do you see a red light in the TOS port? You might have a bad optical cable.

eron

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Thank You! Your post solved my all problems with external audio card (creative audigy nx 2). :geek:

GGOTNOMONEY

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:21 am

I was also looking to do some type of music project with my pi and decided to do the whole usb card thing. I know nothing about audio but decided to try the behringer uca202 after reading positive reviews about it. I must say I can definitely hear a difference between using the onboard audio of the pi and this little usb wonder. I went with picoreplayer as I found it easiest to set up and amazing sound quality, also plug and play with the uca202. I highly recommend this set up for anyone that's looking for a great sounding minimal pi set up.

doveman

Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:48 am

I need to upgrade my brother's RPi as he's noticing the poor quality of the audio output.

I was thinking of getting him the HiFiBerry DAC for his Model B (non-plus) http://www.hifiberry.com/dac and they even have a pre-configured image of OpenElec 4.1.6. He will have to continue using Gotham for a while, even if the DAC was compatible with Helix, as the skin he uses, XTV-SAF, won't be made Helix compatible by it's author until it's stable, or at least out of beta.

However, I then read something about needing to disable/blacklist LIRC to get the DAC to work and I think the remote he uses (same as mine) depends on LIRC to work, so I'm not sure it's an option anymore.

Does anyone know about this and if it's true, can you recommend a USB soundcard that works reliably with OpenElec Gotham as an alternative?

inckka

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:35 am

I'm researching on buy a PC2704 based USB to SPDIF converter (soun card).
My only requirement is to connect the Pi > USB_to_SPDIF_soundcard > home theater 5.1
In short words: when I watch 5.1 capable movies with VLC player, the sound could come through my 5.1 home theater.

Would this be the device which I should buy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141796691236?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”