brotha_penguin

A Project Idea that needs some guidance

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 am

Hi everybody :lol:

Ok, so recently my 5.1 sound system has been playing up (partly playing 5.1 sound/not at all) and i have been looking at replacing it with something like the Yamaha RX-V679BL https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V679BL ... 00VIRG3GO , I then realized that i have a spear raspberry pi 3 just laying around doing nothing and wondered if can turn this into an audio receiver like the Yamaha.

The ideal outcome of the project would be:
  • to receive the audio via an optical cable or HDMI possible from my Samsung smart tv
  • at least 5 speakers and a sub
  • to be able to handle Dolby Digital, DTS etc
  • come close the features of the yamaha rx-v679BL minus to video features of course
What are your thoughts on this project idea? is it possible? can you provide some guidance to point me in the right direction?

:D

wh7qq

Re: A Project Idea that needs some guidance

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm

It is hard to imagine extracting all the features of the Yamaha into the RPi.

epoch1970

Re: A Project Idea that needs some guidance

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm

On Pi the HDMI is out only, not in.
There are DACs with SPDIF in, but not 5.1 out AFAIK.
Most amplifier HATs are stereo only and have no input except the Pi itself.
The closest I can think of is the new Hifiberry/B&O Beocreate audio card. 4 channels amplifier with DSP, SPDIF in and out. All of which come at some cost.

(And all with faux Airplay, aka Shairplay. Which might not be so important esp. when Apple now pushes Airplay2)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”