OuchitHertz

my attempts to run TINKERCAD in Firefox using WebGL.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:27 am

I was not able to use TINKERCAD on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2. because of issues with WebGL.
When I tried to load a 3D model, I received a message page:
You need WebGL to run Tinkercad!
Get WebGL supported browser to design with Tinkercad

My only installed (default) browser was GNOME Web version 3.8.2 (originally called Epiphany from 2003-2012).
This browser does not support WebGL.
My Operating System (OS) was Raspbian (not sure what version)

I knew that Firefox worked on my PC so I decided to try that. (I discovered that there is a special version for Raspbian):
See https://elinux.org/RPi_IceWeasel for installation instructions.
I installed IceWeasle (which is really FireFox ESR 52.5.2 (32-bit)) using these commands in a terminal window:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(I performed a reboot at this point)
sudo apt-get install iceweasel

Note, this process changed my OS version.
My Operating system is now Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie).
Check your version by opening a terminal window and enter the command: cat /etc/os-release

I also needed to install a graphics driver.
In a terminal window enter the command:
sudo apt-get install xcompmgr libgl1-mesa-dri

(Note: I read that I should enable experimental GL in config: sudo raspi-config in terminal (Advanced settings). This did not work for me. It did not find a driver. I didn't need to do this anyway...)

Firefox requires additional configuration. Hardware acceleration must be disabled, and WebGL settings need to be modified.
Go to the mozzilla troubleshooting page. Use this link: http://mzl.la/1xKsEca
Find the section titled "I still have problems with my graphics card in Firefox" and follow the instructions to turn off hardware acceleration.

Firefox WebGL and layers settings need to be modified as well.
(refer to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/B ... s_features)

In the Firefox URL bar, type about:config. In the warning window, click on "I accept the risk".
In the search bar enter "WebGL"
Set the following parameters:
webgl.disabled is set to false
webgl.force-enabled set to true
webgl.msaa-force set to true
In the search bar enter "layers"
layers.acceleration.force-enabled set to true

Quit Firefox
Set the GPU memory to 128 (from preferences menu). (I saw a note saying this can might work up to 256)
Reboot
Start Firefox and link to https://get.webgl.org/ to test your browser. You should see a spinning cube.

At this pont I was now able to use TINKERCAD.
However, I found that it is considerably slower than using my PC.
If anyone has a suggestion to improve performance, please let me know.

Many thanks to all of the forum contributors that provided all of the clues and links, especially dmalpica who provided the final piece of the puzzle in the forum "Broken GL Driver on Pixel?"

Timboteach

Re: my attempts to run TINKERCAD in Firefox using WebGL.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Ouchithertz,

I got an email on subject "Broken GL Driver on Pixel?" that I am watching stating there was a reply by you but when I viewed the subject there was no new postings. So I had to search members to get to your 1 post on your subject so I copied your post to my Subject. Thanks for your contribution. I am hoping it will help me and others.

OuchitHertz

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Timboteach wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm
Ouchithertz,

I got an email on subject "Broken GL Driver on Pixel?" that I am watching stating there was a reply by you but when I viewed the subject there was no new postings. So I had to search members to get to your 1 post on your subject so I copied your post to my Subject. Thanks for your contribution. I am hoping it will help me and others.
Timboteach,
Thanks for replying to my post and copying it back into your post. I had originally intended to reply to your post, but the system admins placed my reply in its own discussion...much to my chagrin. It was your original query/post and thread that ultimately led me to a solution.

mattmiller

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

JFI - I use TinkerCAD a lot on my PC so I tried just running the standard Chromium browser on my Pi3 (which is still on Jessie) and it loaded up without error but very slow

I run my Pi headless and the grid editing area was black which I'm assuming is due to the fact that it will be some sort of graphical surface that doesn't get read by VNC

Anyway - I dragged a couple of cubes onto it and when I went back to main tinkercad page - I could see that the project had 2 cubes in it

So I imagine it would be fine if I'd had a monitor connected - but is was very slow
Last edited by mattmiller on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timboteach

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 pm

I use TinkerCAD a lot on my PC so I tried just running the standard Chromium browser on my Pi3 (which is still on Jessie)
What version of Chromium are you considering standard ?
I run my Pi headless
What do mean by headless ? How are you viewing without a monitor ?

This sounds like your PI3 runs Tinkercad right out the box, mine does not and I have followed several threads and done many manipulations and updates and it still doesn't work.

mattmiller

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm

This sounds like your PI3 runs Tinkercad right out the box, mine does not and I have followed several threads and done many manipulations and updates and it still doesn't work.
Well its not a virgin install - its my main SD card that I've been using since Jessie came out - I'll try it out on a new plain Stretch and report back
What do mean by headless ? How are you viewing without a monitor ?
I use VNC to remote view the desktop on all my Pi

It works great except when viewing things like a OpenGL window type thingy - things like Minecraft etc and since TinkerCAD is using WebGL - i'm guessing that is the same restriction

mattmiller

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 pm

I don't think its a runner

I tried to enable the experimental VNC option that lets it see graphics surfaces but the editing area was still black so I'm now thinking it won't work on a Pi connected to a monitor

Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”