ZipSnipe

DIY looper/sampler

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello all, A brief explanation on what got me started down this path.

I have been on a mission for the past couple of years, I got my studio set up exactly the way i want it. But I wanted a portable set up(been in the closet too long time to get out) , with small battery powered synths and samplers. I was going to get a sp404(I have two sp808's) but I got an iPad instead, I thought that it would replace the SP's but sadly it did not. While there are many many kool apps , they all seem to fall short in one area or another.

Then I said man I see these modular guys building synths, someone has had have built a sampler. Found loads of diy samplers.

Then wala !!! The Rasberry Pi, I discounted this little micro computer years ago when it first came out, really didn't know what all the hoopla was about. Then I came across SunVox http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/ , this a great software that you can test out for free on your windows or mac and best of all it runs on Rasberry Pi . And so begins my path to the diy looper/sampler/synth all based on the Sun Vox engine which will be totally upgradeable running on the RasberryPi3 platform.With 7 inch capacitive touchscreen and 4x4 button matrix. I have ordered all the necessary parts and they should all be in by mid next week.

Best of all I will document the entire process , oh by the way total cost $130

So stay tuned and heres a lil mock up I did in Paint
SamplerPart2.jpg
SamplerPart2.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
And most of the parts came in, just waiting on micro sd card

And here is the case that I will add wood sides to
Attachments
case.jpg
case.jpg (211.09 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
sampler stuff.jpeg
sampler stuff.jpeg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

jcyr

Re: DIY looper/sampler

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Would have been ubercool in a clear plastic case!
If you want your child to get the best education possible, it is actually more important to get him assigned to a great teacher than to a great school. -- Bill Gates

ZipSnipe

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 am

jcyr wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm
Would have been ubercool in a clear plastic case!
Problem with plastic is that it gets scratched up easily, but yeah sometimes clear plastic is kool.

Also got the Raspberry pi up and running, was not easy. First problem was I was trying to start it up with the touch screen and it wouldn't boot up. Switched to my son's pc monitor and wala , we have life. Loaded all the driver stuff(this is done by typing commands in a prompt so no easy graphical interface like we have in windows or mac)

Anyway got the touchscreen working however it is noooo iPad. In fact its about useless. So now I need to rethink the touchscreen idea, I will continue to research and see if there is code out there to give it more iPad responsiveness but if I can't find the code, I might just switch to a smaller non touch screen lcd just to have display.

Oh and then not to mention the hour and half I just wasted trying to get a pop up keyboard(like most tablets have) and you still have to use the command prompt to activate it, which means you need a mouse and keyboard to type in the command....wtf? Maybe I did something wrong I don't know or maybe I just assumed that it would pop up like most tablet soft keyboards do. ummm maybe I need to leave it up in the back ground, I don't know.....more to come

ZipSnipe

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Well currently stuck at this point
"Note: For any python script you create to use Trellis, copy the Adafruit_I2C.py file from the Adafruit Raspberry Pi Python code download into the same folder as your python script. Don't skip this step--Adafruit_I2C.py needs to be in the same directory as your script or else the Trellis python library will fail to load!"

So the Adafruit_I2C.py is deprecated whatever that means I assume it no longer works and then the Adafruit site mod sent me this link https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_GPIO I run the code but I still can't find the file that needs to be put in the same folder as my script which is the example script that came with the Trellis stuff I downloaded..I have no clue what I am doing,any suggestions?

ZipSnipe

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:40 am

We have lights !!!!!, now we must get SunVox to communicate with the Trellis(4x4 pad), now comes the hard part but fun
lights.JPG
lights.JPG (27.63 KiB) Viewed 934 times

YCN-

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Hey,

where did you end up ? Did you made it ? OH and why did you made it so big ahah?

Regards,

YCN-

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”