rAsEr85

Is There Screenshot software for Raspbian [NOT SCROT]

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 am

I have scrot installed and yes, it works fine, but it doesn't suit my needs fully, I dont want a shot of my whole screen.

I need to be able to take a screenshot manually, and be able to click and adjust a window/box around the desired area (to only show specific things like the snippet tool on Windows)

for example I am writing a brief tutorial on Python's IDLE for my class, I just want to take 2 screenshots. One of JUST the Shell window and one of JUST the editor window, to show the difference in appearance. For simplicity I tried to do it on my partners laptop using Windows/Snippet, and use a USB memory stick to transfer onto my Pi (where I am writing the document using LibreOffice) but my Pi wont let me access the USB - saying read only even after changing permissions. So I am now looking to take the screenshots on the Pi.

I want to know if there is any other Linux or Raspbian screenshot software that people have used on Raspbian, and not so much directed towards command terminal usage. I need to be able to click and drag a box around the area I want to capture.

Let me know

klricks

Re: Is There Screenshot software for Raspbian [NOT SCROT]

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 pm

I find it easier to access the RPi remotely with RealVNC especially if annotations are needed.

- Use [Print Screen] (whole screen) or [Alt]+[Print Screen] (contents of an open window)
- C&P the capture into photo editing software of your choice.
- Annotate and then save as JPG or whatever.

RealVNC has an easy to use file transfer tool built in which can transfer files either direction.
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

n67

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm

In the category of "Teaching a man to fish" - which in this case is short for "I'm too lazy to do the actual fishing myself" - I did:

$ apt-cache search screenshot|grep screenshot
gkrellshoot - Plugin for gkrellm to lock the screen and make screenshots
gnome-screenshot - screenshot application for GNOME
gpe-screenshot - screenshot application for GPE
gtk-vector-screenshot - takes screenshots of applications as PDF or SVG files
kazam - screencast and screenshot application created with design in mind
screenie-qt - fancy screenshot composer
shutter - feature-rich screenshot program
videocut - application for creating compositions of screenshots from videos
xfce4-screenshooter - screenshots utility for Xfce
$

Many of these look interesting. The problem, of course, is that you would have to install each one and test it out before you'd know if it is any good. I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

But I think it would be useful for the community if someone would take a shot (pun intended) at this.

n67

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Or, for that matter, why not just use the "-s" option to scrot?

I was able to make a screenshot of a region of the screen, using "scrot -s", that seemed just as easy/convenient as one is used to on more user-friendly OSes. Worked for me.

Douglas6

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Sounds like a job for a post-processing tool (as klricks said). I can't stand gimp (I was raised on Photoshop), but it is very capable and freely available on the Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”