kyelo

Is Anyone Using RadioTray?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Has anyone been able to successfully install and use RadioTray under Raspbian?

I have seen posts by people saying that they had it working under Squeeze but not Raspbian.

It seems to install and load O.K. for me, it appears under "Sound and Video" in the menus. The icon appears in the system tray, when I click on the icon the list of stations appears; after selecting a station, when the program handshakes with the URL the icon begins to emmanate blue wavelets like it is working, but there is no sound. If one again clicks on the icon "Stop listening" appears as an option, as if it believes it is working.

I see nothing unusual in dmesg, and see no "radiotray log" in /var/log.

I am using a Logitech USB headset, can hear files played with aplay and music played with VLC.

It would be a nice program to have if I can figure out how to use it. Just wondering if I am configuring something wrong, missing a library or whatever.

troombatzia

Re: Is Anyone Using RadioTray?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 am

Hi, just installe d for curiosity. Found that some radios behave like you said: they seems to work but no sound. For example, Pop/Rock --> SKY.fm Top Hits doesn't work. Classical --> Classic FM works perfectly. So, probably, bad links or some codec is missing.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

kyelo

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:20 pm

@ troombatzia, thanks for your looking at radiotray. Did you add any codecs or plugins to get radiotray to work?

I'm not sure what my problem is. Are you using Raspbian, Squeeze, or another distro?

I have tried 7 or 8 "stations" (including Classic FM), plus a local FM station that streams, and could hear none of them.

I checked the web site and have all of the dependencies installed. I hear .wav files with aplay. I hear mp3 files with mpg321.

I have no idea what else needs to be done!

troombatzia

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:04 am

@ kyelo
Hi. I use the latest Raspian. Also, I've installed on my system pulseaudio-module-x11 to play mp3s with mplayer. So, I don't if that's module is you what you need, because it was already installed.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

kyelo

Re: Is Anyone Using RadioTray? (Solved)

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm

The plot thickens! Bizarre.

I switched the output from a USB headset to the 3.5 mm analog jack and Radiotray works!!!

I have no idea why, because the USB headset works in a variety of other situations...Radiotray seems hardwired to the analog output.

Thanks for your help, troombatzia.

ChrisSwan

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 pm

What's the general view on people having luck with RadioTray on Raspbian then? I've just used the latest image (10_28), apt-get installed RadioTray, apt-get update & upgrade and I get the same result as the OP: RadioTray seems to think it's working just fine, but nothing comes out of the audio jack...

Using aplay I can verify that other sounds work through this jack, but not RadioTray. What are others finding? Or is there a suggested fix?

wally

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 am

Hello,

installing radiotray from repos (update/upgrade/install radiotray)
seems to work in some way, but no sound anymore.
Here is a tail of the error output:

Code: Select all

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/AudioPlayerGStreamer.py", line 137, in on_message
    self.eventManager.notify(EventManager.STATION_ERROR, {'error':debug})
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/events/EventManager.py", line 46, in notify
    callback(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/NotificationManager.py", line 60, in on_station_error
    self.eventManagerWrapper.notify(_('Radio Error'), str(data['error']))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/events/EventMngNotificationWrapper.py", line 31, in notify
    self.eventManager.notify(self.eventManager.NOTIFICATION, {'title': title, 'message':message})
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/events/EventManager.py", line 46, in notify
    callback(data)
  File "/usr/share/radiotray/plugins/NotificationPlugin.py", line 54, in on_notification
    self.notify(data['title'], data['message'])
  File "/usr/share/radiotray/plugins/NotificationPlugin.py", line 77, in notify
    self.notif.show()
glib.GError: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files
I checked dependencies, sound works with mplayer and vlc on the headphone jack of raspberrypi.

Any ideas highly welcome
wally

wally

Re: Is Anyone Using RadioTray? (Solved)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 am

kyelo wrote:The plot thickens! Bizarre.

I switched the output from a USB headset to the 3.5 mm analog jack and Radiotray works!!!
troombatzia.
How did you switch output ?
wally

kyelo

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:40 pm

kyelo wrote:
The plot thickens! Bizarre.

How did you switch output ?
wally
The way the R_Pi works by default is to send audio output to the analog jack using the built-in bcm2835 audio driver. You don't have to do anything to "cause" this.

But I wanted to do VOIP, so I needed some means of audio input because the R_Pi lacks this capability ; I chose a Logitech USB headset with a mic and this worked well. When you plug the USB headset in, it appears in "aplay -l" as card 1 (the bcm2835 appears as card 0).

The problem was that the USB headset was working in a variety of other situations, but not for RadioTray. I then unplugged my USB headset, and rebooted, thus causing any audio output to go to the default analog jack, and RadioTray worked (at least several of the stations did).

From that I concluded that RadioTray must in some way be "hardwired" to analog output rather than to an output designated by system files.

bqllpd

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:28 am

Radio tray is missing a plugin. Use

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

and it should work. As for the .m3u and .pls files, some don't work, so use the next stream link on the list until you find one that works.

Micha1982

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Installed it yesterday and it is working fine so far - except the ´informations´ - I can´t see any track-title and so on...anyone an idea what is wrong here?

Btw, to the others: that some radio-stations are ´silent´ is normal - they are dead or changed their adress....simply edit the list in radiotray-options and enter change them/enter some others.
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”