rpt007

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi Karl,

good to hear that you made a big progress.
In my installation the music is located on an USB stick, automatically being mounted during startup.
Will see that I find a little time in the next days to give you some information on how to get access to an external USB device and how to tell fruitbox to use that path to your music.

Raimund

nitschko82

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:54 am

Hi everybody.
I´m a noob and i try to install fruit box on my raspberry pi 3 b+ with raspbian stretch lite OS. I´m following the instructions located in the readme file. The problem is, when i type <<source ./install.sh>> I always get an syntax error.

-bash: ./install.sh: Line 7: Syntax error un expected token ´newline´
-bash: ./install.sh: line 7 ´<!DOCTYPE html>´

my OS is in German and i translated the error into English.
please help.
sorry for my bad english

rpt007

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 pm

As promised pls find following a step-by-step instruction how to use fruitbox with an auto-mounted USB device.
All "commands" are executed on command line. It is assumed that the USB device is formatted as FAT32. (-> vfat)

1. "sudo mkdir /media/usbdisk"
2. "tail -f /var/log/messages" to show log messages
3. connect USB device with RaspBerry Pi and watch log message
4. you wanna see something with "sda: sda1" or similar near the end of all message lines
5. [CTRL]-[c] to end "tail" command
6. "sudo mount -t vfat -o uid=pi,gid=pi /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk/"
(if necessary replace "sda1" with the "sda number", found in 4.)
7. "cd /media/usbdisk"
"ls -ali"
(to see, if your USB device was mounted and is accessible)
8. "sudo blkid" to identify the unique "UUID" of your USB device
(example: /dev/sda1: LABEL="TREKSTOR" UUID= "009F-305C" TYPE="fvat")
(pls write down the UUID as we will need it in step 10.)
9. "sudo umount /media/usbdisk" (attention: command="umount" and NOT "unmount")
(to unmount the USB device -> very important, do NOT just unplug the device to avoid data loss!)
10. If the USB device had been successfully mounted, make the mount process permanent in the boot process as follows:
10.1 "cd /etc/"
10.2 "sudo nano fstab" -> opens fstab with the nano-Editor
10.3 go to the last entry and add in a new line:
UUID=009F-305C /media/usbdisk vfat defaults,user,ro,noatime 0 0
(pls use YOUR UUID, which you wrote down in step 8.)
10.4 [CTRL]-[o], [CTRL]-[x] to save the change and exit nano

On next reboot your ALREADY CONNECTED USB device should be mounted automatically.
If you don't have the device plugged in, the boot process is delayed or might even hang as the RaspBerry PI tries to mount a device which is not available.
Sometimes, afaik depending on the installed OS version, this automatic mount doesn't work as expected.
Then you wanna try as last entry in fstab: /dev/disk/by-uuid/009F-305C

Now let's assume, that you have your music stored in the directory "my_music" on the USB device.
To have fruitbox use that directory as music source, you have to edit fruitbox.cfg in your chosen skin.
1. cd /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master/skins/your_chosen_skin
2. sudo nano fruitbox.cfg and change the MusicPath entry to "MusicPath = /media/usbdisk/my_music/"
3. save the modified .cfg file and close "nano" (see 10.4 above)

Reboot and wait until fruitbox creates a new database "fruitbox.db" (one time action).
After all this succeeded, fruitbox is prepared to play your music from a connected USB device.

Good luck
Raimund

fruitbox

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:16 pm

nitschko82 wrote:
Hi everybody.
I´m a noob and i try to install fruit box on my raspberry pi 3 b+ with raspbian stretch lite OS. I´m following the instructions located in the readme file. The problem is, when i type <<source ./install.sh>> I always get an syntax error.

please help.
sorry for my bad english
Hi,

Looks like the install.sh file had some non-linux line endings in it. I've updated the install.sh file on GitHub now so please download it again and try running it again.

Cheers,
Mike

nitschko82

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi
I made it work by typing the commands I found in the script. But I appreciate your work and your fast answer. Thank you!
Cheers

kramg

Fruitbox MP3 jukebox - Auto start

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 pm

HI All,

First off, to the author: Awesome program! I haven't had this much fun in a while! Many thanks for the effort you've put in to this.

In perusing the thread I noticed a comment about being locked out when trying to ssh into the machine running fruitbox. I believe the subsequent solution was to create a second user and log in as that user to take control of the box. An alternate approach would be to modify the startup script to test for a running instance of fruitbox before starting a new one. One way, I'm sure there are others, would be to modify the instructions found in section 12 of the user guide.

In lieu of adding the following lines to ~/.bashrc :

Code: Select all

cd <directory where fruitbox is installed>
	sudo ./fruitbox --cfg <your cfg file>

you could encase them in a conditional statement:

# Check to see if fruitbox is running and if not start it 

if ps ax | grep -v grep | grep fruitbox.cfg > /dev/null
then
   echo "fruitbox is running"
else
   ./fruitbox --cfg <your cfg file>
fi
A variation of this approach would be to create a shell script in your home directory then just call the shell script from ~/.bashrc

for example you could create a file startjuke.sh containing the following text:

#!/bin/bash

if ps ax | grep -v grep | grep fruitbox.cfg > /dev/null
then
   echo "fruitbox is running"
else
   ./fruitbox --cfg <your cfg file>
fi
Make it executable:

chmod 777 startjuke.sh
Then add the following to ~/.bashrc:

#run fruitbox on startup
./startjuke.sh
I chose the latter approach so I could change my fruitbox startup parameters without messing with the .bashrc file. Too many lines - too many chances for me to mess things up!

***Note that the test in the above scripts assumes that the config file used is called fruitbox.cfg. If you choose to run fruitbox with a different option such as --choose-cfg skins.txt you will need to change the test accordingly.

Cheers,

- gustav

kramg

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 am

Streaming Jukebox?

Hi again,

Since I don't have the room for a floor or tabletop jukebox, I'm looking at building a wall mounted unit (wallbox?). As I thought about it I remembered the jukebox in my local diner years ago and it seems to me that the units in the booths there were remote heads for the central player and I wondered if that could be recreated using fruitbox.

As it turns out it can. After some digging I came up with the following chain:

fruitbox -> ALSA loopback device -> DarkIce -> IceCast

Unfortunately, while I was able to tune in to the resulting broadcast on another computer, the feed from my Pi 2 stuttered somewhat, especially when it was processing another event such as a coin drop or another song being cued. It may work ok on a Pi 3 or ZeroW, but, on a Pi 2 I don't think it's worth the effort without some serious tweaking. I think the file to audio to file to stream conversion is just too much for the 2. If anyone is interested on trying it on a Pi 3 or ZeroW let me know and I can explain how I strung the pieces together. It's mostly straight forward, but, the ALSA loopback took me a while to sort out.

A better approach, I think, would be to output directly to an http stream. Apparently MPD can do just that: https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/plugins.html#httpd. I realise that this would require some modification to the fruitbox code and not being familiar with C++ I'm not sure how hard it might be. I did do a little snooping and it looks like the code for the MPD httpd plugin is available on GitHub. I'm wondering, with MPD being open source, whether snippets of that code couldn't be reused in fruitbox. Again having no C experience I have no idea how hard piecing the two together might be.

I am happy to pursue this on my own, but, starting from scratch, I rather suspect that it will take quite a while before I am anywhere near proficient enough to produce results. If anyone else is versed in C++ and interested in taking this on I would be happy to help in any way I can. Otherwise, I will report back when I have made progress or given up.

Cheers,

- gustav

P.S. For those not familiar with shoutcast (I wasn't) what I've proposed would allow one jukebox to be listened to from many locations, a whole-home jukebox if you will.
A true 'diner' type set up would be the other way around with many jukebox wall units controlling one actual player. That said I think what I've described could form the basis of such a setup.

Micksdk

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Good day to all of you

1. I've tried to install Fruitbox on my raspberry.
2. I have followed instructions and I have succeeded in mounting a usb memory stick.
3. When I start fruitbox it says it can't see any mp3 files.
4. The files are the name given with mp3tag
5. I have retried six times now. and read almost all pages and tested a lot from here. nothing works.

Hope there is someone who has the courage to help.

Regards
Mick

fruitbox

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:00 am

Micksdk wrote:
Good day to all of you

2. I have followed instructions and I have succeeded in mounting a usb memory stick.
5. I have retried six times now. and read almost all pages and tested a lot from here. nothing works.

Regards
Mick
Hi Mick

What's your MusicPath set to? And what happens if you type cd <the music path value> from a command line in rpi-fruitbox-master?

Mike

Micksdk

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 am

fruitbox wrote:
Micksdk wrote:
Good day to all of you

Regards
Mick
Hi Mick

What's your MusicPath set to? And what happens if you type cd <the music path value> from a command line in rpi-fruitbox-master?

Mike
I have tried in 2 ways with MusicPath.
1. usb plug.
2. sd card where Fruitbox installed
fejlsamlet5.jpg
fejlsamlet5.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 2841 times

fruitbox

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 am

Micksdk wrote:
fruitbox wrote:
Micksdk wrote:
Good day to all of you

Regards
Mick
Hi Mick

Mike
1. usb plug.
fejlsamlet5.jpg
Try setting MusicPath = /home/pi/Music

Currently you have it set to ../home/pi/Music ... the .. at the start means "go up one directory from where I currently am", so this will take you to /home/pi (assuming that is you are running fruitbox from /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master). Then the rest of the music path you have will then instruct fruitbox to look in the home/pi/Music directory from there (i.e. /home/pi/home/pi/Music which doesn't exist, hence causing the error you are seeing. Omitting the ".." from the music path will specify an absolute path in your file system and not a relative path to where you currently are.

Mike

Micksdk

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:17 am

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 am
Micksdk wrote:
fruitbox wrote:

Hi Mick

Mike
1. usb plug.
fejlsamlet5.jpg
Try setting MusicPath = /home/pi/Music

Currently you have it set to ../home/pi/Music ... the .. at the start means "go up one directory from where I currently am", so this will take you to /home/pi (assuming that is you are running fruitbox from /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master). Then the rest of the music path you have will then instruct fruitbox to look in the home/pi/Music directory from there (i.e. /home/pi/home/pi/Music which doesn't exist, hence causing the error you are seeing. Omitting the ".." from the music path will specify an absolute path in your file system and not a relative path to where you currently are.

Mike
Thank you very much.
Think that two " .. " teased me so much.

Have a good day Regards Mick

nitschko82

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi everybody
I want to use Fruit Box as mp3 Player for my little son. So i installed a Touchscreen which works perfect. Now I like to use a joystick and some Buttons. But i cant open fruitbox with the joystick plugged in. When I start the program first and plug in the joystick after everything works fine. Is there a possibility to make it work at start-up?
Thank you for your work.
Cheers, nico

fruitbox

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 pm

nitschko82 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm
Hi everybody
I want to use Fruit Box as mp3 Player for my little son. So i installed a Touchscreen which works perfect. Now I like to use a joystick and some Buttons. But i cant open fruitbox with the joystick plugged in. When I start the program first and plug in the joystick after everything works fine. Is there a possibility to make it work at start-up?
Thank you for your work.
Cheers, nico
Hi nico

When you start with the joystick plugged in, what happens? Does it lock up or print any error message?

Mike

nitschko82

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi
I see the fruitbox logo spinning around, then I get back to the console an get the message: "Segmentation fault" . when that happens i cant give any commands with my keyboard. and I have to reboot. the joystick is this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B078W8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Have a nice evening
Nico

fruitbox

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:49 pm

nitschko82 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 pm
Hi
I see the fruitbox logo spinning around, then I get back to the console an get the message: "Segmentation fault" . when that happens i cant give any commands with my keyboard. and I have to reboot. the joystick is this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B078W8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Have a nice evening
Nico
Hi nico

That's a DragonRise USB controller...several people have reported that this has caused them problems. Luckily, I have been working to try and fix these issues...on GitHub there is a beta release which may perhaps help. You can download it like this...

cd /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master
mv ./fruitbox ./fruitbox-1.12
wget https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/raw/master/fruitbox-1.14beta1
mv ./fruitbox-1.14beta1 ./fruitbox
chmod +x ./fruitbox
(this copies your existing fruitbox exectuable to fruitbox-1.12 before downloading the beta version and naming it fruitbox, so you can run it normally).

Please note that the input button codes have changed in this version so if you are using joysticks or have re-mapped to different keyboard keys then you'll have to create your fruitbox.btn file again by using the --config-buttons command line option.

Please give this a try and let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
Mike

nitschko82

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 am

[/quote]
Hi nico

That's a DragonRise USB controller...several people have reported that this has caused them problems. Luckily, I have been working to try and fix these issues...on GitHub there is a beta release which may perhaps help. You can download it like this...

chmod +x ./fruitbox
(this copies your existing fruitbox exectuable to fruitbox-1.12 before downloading the beta version and naming it fruitbox, so you can run it normally).

Please note that the input button codes have changed in this version so if you are using joysticks or have re-mapped to different keyboard keys then you'll have to create your fruitbox.btn file again by using the --config-buttons command line option.

Please give this a try and let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
Mike
[/quote]

Hi Mike
That helped! everything works perfect. Now I only have to build a nice case! My son will love this thing.
Thank you veryx much for your work

Cheers Nico

Mayki

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:41 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:49 pm

chmod +x ./fruitbox
Cheers,
Mike
That sounds like good news ... ;)

fruitbox

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi

fruitbox v1.14 is now released!

No new features in this release, but the input (button) handling has been completely re-written.

• Key codes registered now match linux input subsystem codes.
  • Added support for multimedia (multiple event) keyboards. Now all keys are recognised.
  • Fixed Dragonrise USB controller delay issues. Hopefully the lag issue is now fixed (feedback appreciated please!)
  • Better, more robust support for analogue joysticks.
  • Support for DPAD joystick buttons.
  • Automatic detection and support for all input devices.You no longer have to specify an input device or touch device; fruitbox will now register all input devices it finds. As such, the command line options --input-device and --touch-device have now been removed as they are no longer required.
As the input keyboard and joystick codes have changed in this release, please re-generate your fruitbox.btn button mapping file again using the --config-buttons command line option. (not necessary if just using GPIO and/or Touch inputs, or the default keyboard keys).

As usual, GitHub has been updated. Also on Github is an install.sh script which should make installation more straightforward.

If you are upgrading from a previous version, you can just grab fruitbox directly by typing the following commands from the rpi-fruitbox-master directory...

sudo rm ./fruitbox
wget https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/raw/master/fruitbox
chmod +x ./fruitbox
Any issues with this release - please let me know!

Cheers,
Mike

Scally

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 am

That's brilliant! I'll try it this weekend to see how it goes with my Dragonrise USB controller. But can I check, did you also update the Jessie version? Not sure from the Github listings.

fruitbox

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Scally wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 am
That's brilliant! I'll try it this weekend to see how it goes with my Dragonrise USB controller. But can I check, did you also update the Jessie version? Not sure from the Github listings.
Hi Scally

I only updated the Stretch version. If you are still using Jessie let me know and I can make a version for that release, hopefully this weekend...

Cheers
Mike

Scally

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Yes please, my arcade is all done, and is running on Jessie. Too late for me to change that now, so I would be really grateful if you could also release the Jessie update, then, when the kids get bored of games, they can listen to my music :twisted:

Thank you!

KGP2005

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:53 pm

I have same problem, stil have it after downloading

Do i have to change source to something else?
fruitbox wrote:
nitschko82 wrote:
Hi everybody.

please help.
sorry for my bad english
Hi,

Looks like the install.sh file had some non-linux line endings in it. I've updated the install.sh file on GitHub now so please download it again and try running it again.

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:56 pm

KGP2005 wrote:

fruitbox wrote:
nitschko82 wrote:
Hi everybody.

please help.
sorry for my bad english
Hi,

Cheers,
Mike
Wierd...after I corrected the install file I downloaded it to try it and it worked ok, but obviously there is still a problem with it. I'll take another look...

KGP2005

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Mike

I know you help alot, and i also just hope to can fix this error. I have been looking forward for some time to start "my" project jukebox after i find your videos on youtube.

It was a dobble tread, but i still get the error after i wrote, and you fixed it.

Kim
fruitbox wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:56 pm
KGP2005 wrote:

fruitbox wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
Mike
Wierd...after I corrected the install file I downloaded it to try it and it worked ok, but obviously there is still a problem with it. I'll take another look...

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”