Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sun May 20, 2018 4:10 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 pm
Papakriminalis wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am
Hello everyone
I have two doubts with this great software:
1.-Is there any way to put it in a batch file? I searched the forum but I can not find it. I'm sure it's easy, but my Linux level is too low.
2.-Could it be compatible to hear music through the USB input?

Thanks
Hello to you.

The answer to question 1 is yes. If you look back a few posts you'll see a discussion I had with another person about much the same thing. In fact I posted a copy of the script (batch file) I use to run my copy of Fruitbox.

The answer to question 2 is, it depends. If you're planning on playing music stored on a USB device, the yes. If you are using a USB hard drive you'll need to have a way to power that drive. The Raspberry PI power supply may not be able to do that for you. Flash drives work just fine. That's what I use. If you want to stream the music over USB, then no.

The same discussion I had about the script also has a discussion of how to use a USB device as a source of music files.

If there's anything else, just ask.

Cheers,
Steve
Thank's for you answer.
The first it's ok. I find how to do it and it works. Thank you.
The second question is different. I pretend to make a jukebox like the old ones, and although I can not find the mechanisms to change the disks, it will have a turntable. That one which I have seen gives the output of sound by USB. And that's the utility I want: using a button that pauses the Jukebox-software and leaves the disk for the audio system.

greyfeld

Mon May 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Didi,

Check out this posting I made on how to set up the sound so it doesn't blast at max when you start Fruitbox.

search.php?keywords=alsamixer&t=188723&sf=msgonly

Cheers,

Greyfeld

RainbowJuke

Wed May 23, 2018 9:05 am

RainbowJuke my latest conversion from DW Jukebox Gretro skin to Fruitbox Rainbow skin. Changing from pc motherboard with Windows XP to Pi Zero with Fruitbox Rainbow. Now need to modify skin from alphabet to numerics. Would have been 7 alphabet keys and 2 numerics but needed to use old key setup. Plenty of choices with this great software.
Attachments
Rainbow1.jpg
Rainbow1.jpg (198.99 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Rainbow2.jpg
Rainbow2.jpg (205.98 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Rainbow3.jpg
Rainbow3.jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

CB-Globetrotter

Wed May 23, 2018 9:33 am

greyfeld wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:35 pm
Didi,

Check out this posting I made on how to set up the sound so it doesn't blast at max when you start Fruitbox.

search.php?keywords=alsamixer&t=188723&sf=msgonly

Cheers,

Greyfeld
Thx, Greyfeld
The problem was not Fruitbox, the problem was the sound setting in the raspberry. I switched to the USB Soundcard now, I had lying around here.
Greeting Didi

floppycocoa

Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am

HI mike i was wondering if i could get in contact with you in any way possible were a group of students trying to rebuild a old jukebox and we need some help were trying to program buttons but we need some help do you know if theirs anyway to add more gpio buttons to a pie your help would be aprecitaed

shhammer5634

Wed May 23, 2018 1:05 pm

floppycocoa wrote:
HI mike i was wondering if i could get in contact with you in any way possible were a group of students trying to rebuild a old jukebox and we need some help were trying to program buttons but we need some help do you know if theirs anyway to add more gpio buttons to a pie your help would be aprecitaed
Hi there,

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm working on something similar using a Seeburg wallbox. Is the goal of your project to use the PI to play the music using the jukebox buttons to make the selection, or to use the PI to actually control the jukebox mechanism? I ran into a similar issue with my project which is using the wallbox to tell Fruitbox running on the PI what selection to play. My solution was to use an Arduino clone that could emulate keyboard input to the PI. The clone had lots of gpio for the various buttons and switches and simply sends the button presses to Fruitbox and the PI as keystrokes.

Mike or others on the forum may have additional suggestions. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. If you're interested in an expanded discussion of my approach, feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
Steve

mabscottsville

Wed May 23, 2018 5:02 pm

floppycocoa wrote:
you could always use a usb keyboard encoder. i'm not sure of all that are compatible with the raspberry pi, but a very well know one for mame arcade cabinets is an i-pac. or if you are good at soldiering you could make you own cheaper by taking apart a usb keyboard and using the control board for it to add buttons that way

RainbowJuke

Wed May 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi Floppycocoa you can get an extra 17 buttons from a USB wired numeric keypad. Take out the pcb board and connect 9 wires to the solder pads. This is 4 columns and 5 rows to connect to your switch matrix. If you need more then strip an old keyboard and do the same with the 16 columns and 8 rows for your switch matrix. No programming to do it works every time and in theory should give you 128 switches. Pictures of some I prepared earlier. Whats the jukebox and keys layout. Where are you located.
Attachments
Keyboard-PCB.jpg
Keyboard-PCB.jpg (177.83 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

mamer999

Sun May 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Nice Home for this great Software:
Attachments
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG (55.8 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

Papakriminalis

Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 am

mamer999 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:18 pm
Nice Home for this great Software:
Really nice! Congrats

Scally

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Scally wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm
bernyone wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:51 am

Hi,

I haven't managed to recreate the button lag at all, so haven't been able to fix it.

I'm wandering how many people have this problem...

I will try again and recreate the issue - if I can't I may send you a special fruitbox version with debug for you to try and send me the debug output if that's ok?

Cheers,
Mike
That's fine with me Mike 👍
I'm back from holiday - but, yes, I still have this problem and would love to try and find the cause of the problem. It still puzzles me why, with the test-button option, I can press buttons all day long and not have any delay, but run fruitbox normally and within a handful of presses / joystick movements I start to see really long delays (many seconds). It does respond eventually, so the event is not lost, just somehow queued etc. I can't tell if the pi's CPU is somehow busy with something else, but if it is already playing a song this just carries on normally.

I'd be happy to run some debug versions, but I would need the Jessie builds.

Likewise, it's the only thing stopping me from going live on my arcade machine with fruitbox!

Scally
Hi Mike - I'm hoping that you might still have some time to look at this delay problem? Just let me know if there's a debug version I should run (on Jessie).

Thanks!
Scally

bernyone

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 am

Scally wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm
Scally wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm
bernyone wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm

That's fine with me Mike 👍
I'm back from holiday - but, yes, I still have this problem and would love to try and find the cause of the problem. It still puzzles me why, with the test-button option, I can press buttons all day long and not have any delay, but run fruitbox normally and within a handful of presses / joystick movements I start to see really long delays (many seconds). It does respond eventually, so the event is not lost, just somehow queued etc. I can't tell if the pi's CPU is somehow busy with something else, but if it is already playing a song this just carries on normally.

I'd be happy to run some debug versions, but I would need the Jessie builds.

Likewise, it's the only thing stopping me from going live on my arcade machine with fruitbox!

Scally
Hi Mike - I'm hoping that you might still have some time to look at this delay problem? Just let me know if there's a debug version I should run (on Jessie).

Thanks!
Scally
Snap!
Been using the jukebox regulatory and until yesterday it's been fine and all of a sudden the lag reappears from nowhere....

Really need to get it sorted before the 16th as me and the wife are renewing our wedding vows and the jukebox will be providing the music for the after party....

Cheers
Jon

fruitbox

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Jon / Scally,

I will try and add some debug to see if we can track the problem down; I'll let you know when the debug version is available...

Cheers,
Mike

KSquared_au

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 am

Morning All,
Had a read through the pages , and this looks like an awesome project.
A couple of questions.......

Can you play playslists (for whole albums).

Can some one provide a shopping list to get a basic iteration of this project off the ground.

Great work! And many thanks.

bernyone

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am

fruitbox wrote:
Hi Jon / Scally,

I will try and add some debug to see if we can track the problem down; I'll let you know when the debug version is available...

Cheers,
Mike
Great stuff Mike
Im actually off work all next week so could be a golden opportunity to get to the bottom of it

fruitbox

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm

bernyone wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am
fruitbox wrote:
Hi Jon / Scally,

Cheers,
Mike
Great stuff Mike
Im actually off work all next week so could be a golden opportunity to get to the bottom of it
Hi,

I've put a couple of new fruitbox executables (fruitbox-1.11-debug-buttons-1) on Github (one for Stretch, one for Jessie). Run it as normal and please send me the fruitbox.dbg file it will produce - I'll take a look and see if I can work out what's causing the delay.

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 pm

KSquared_au wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 am
Morning All,
Had a read through the pages , and this looks like an awesome project.
A couple of questions.......

Can you play playslists (for whole albums).

Can some one provide a shopping list to get a basic iteration of this project off the ground.

Great work! And many thanks.
Hello,

There is an album mode for the skins, although I haven't tried it yet. I will be very soon though. Mike, the software author, can fill you in, or alternatively you can download the package from github. The user manual is included and does a good job of covering setup and operation.

As to your basic shopping list, it depends on what you want to do. Mike used a Raspberry PI with a sound card hat that has a built in amplifier. Both of the projects I have under construction are being connected to external amps. One uses a sound card with line out from HiFiBerry, and the other uses an HDMI to VGA converter that has an audio output. I'm using the Pi 3 b+ for both my projects. If you're just interested in experimenting, the Pi, a monitor, keyboard, and mouse are all you really need. That and some music on a USB flash drive... :D Beyond that, the sky's the limit. Touch screen, push buttons, retro, modern...

Cheers,
Steve

shhammer5634

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 pm

And in the who knew department...

I picked up a refurbished IBM 4820-2GB touch screen POS monitor (a freebie). Hooked it up to the Raspberry PI, and the Pi recognizes the touch input! Not high resolution, but who cares. Next stop touch screen Fruitbox!

feivel2211

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Hello Mike!
I would like to thank you for sharing that fantastic piece of software with us!
I built my jukebox with a coin acceptor and i´m sure that my party guests will love that thing.

The Input for the numbers comes from a matrix keypad .
That Input aswell as the input from the coin acceptor go to an arduino that emulates a keyboard stroke to the raspberry.

The coin acceptor is just for giving a complete jukebox feeling to the guests, not for earning money.
Therefore i´m having thoughts about extending the box with a little thermal printer for printing a lottery ticket or simething else if a coin is inserted.
The winner should get the "jackpot" :)

Now im trying to figure out how to execute a script if a coin_button is being pressed.
But i cant find an elegant way not at least a working way for me at the moment.

Does anyone have a hint to point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Olli

fruitbox

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:48 pm

feivel2211 wrote:
Hello Mike!
I built my jukebox with a coin acceptor and i´m sure that my party guests will love that thing.

That Input aswell as the input from the coin acceptor go to an arduino that emulates a keyboard stroke to the raspberry.

The coin acceptor is just for giving a complete jukebox feeling to the guests, not for earning money.
Therefore i´m having thoughts about extending the box with a little thermal printer for printing a lottery ticket or simething else if a coin is inserted.

Now im trying to figure out how to execute a script if a coin_button is being pressed.

Thank you,

Olli
Hi Olli

One way is to use the [status] Output parameter to create a file with certain contents, which can be read by an external script. For example, in your skin config file you could have the entry

Code: Select all

[status]
Contents = status_input.txt
Output = status_output.txt
Then create a file called status_input.txt, and put the following text in it...

$IF_BUTTON_COIN1_PRESSED**BUTTON_PRESSED**$END_IF$IF_NOT_BUTTON_COIN1_PRESSED**BUTTON_NOT_PRESSED**
When the coin1 button is pressed, the status_output.txt file will contain the text **BUTTON_PRESSED**, otherwise it will contain **BUTTON_NOT_PRESSED**. This should work (although I haven't tested this example)

Hopefully you should be able to write a script which can read the contents of the status_output.txt file and take action accordingly...

Cheers,
Mike

feivel2211

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm

fruitbox wrote:
feivel2211 wrote:
Hello Mike!

Thank you,

Olli
Hi Olli

One way is to use the [status] Output parameter to create a file with certain contents, which can be read by an external script. For example, in your skin config file you could have the entry

[status]

$IF_BUTTON_COIN1_PRESSED**BUTTON_PRESSED**$END_IF$IF_NOT_BUTTON_COIN1_PRESSED**BUTTON_NOT_PRESSED**
When the coin1 button is pressed, the status_output.txt file will contain the text **BUTTON_PRESSED**, otherwise it will contain **BUTTON_NOT_PRESSED**. This should work (although I haven't tested this example)

Hopefully you should be able to write a script which can read the contents of the status_output.txt file and take action accordingly...

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike, thank you for the fast reply.

that sounds like a good option to me, i will try that.

Thank you

Olli

feivel2211

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 pm

feivel2211 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm
fruitbox wrote:
feivel2211 wrote:
Hello Mike!

Thank you,

Olli
Hi Olli

[status]

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike, thank you for the fast reply.

that sounds like a good option to me, i will try that.

Thank you

Olli

Hey Mike, i just want to tell you my results: It works as you told! A PHP Script is reding the output.txt and outputs to the thermal printer. Thank you again for your help!

Olli

shhammer5634

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm enjoying working with your software. My initial project with the Seeburg 3W1 is on hold due to a lack of power tools and workspace. So I've switched to a touchscreen version.

I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust spacing between paired songs. I tried to attach an image to show you what I'm talking about, but wasn't successful. What I'm seeing is on a title strip that is 216 x 72 pixels when I adjust the top title so it's not running over the top of strip, the bottom title hangs over the bottom of the strip if any of the characters in the title have descenders (g, p, y, etc.). If there was a way to adjust the distance between the paired song titles it would be possible to center them in their respective areas of the title strip.

Anxiously waiting for your next release.

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 am

shhammer5634 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Hi Mike,

I'm enjoying working with your software. My initial project with the Seeburg 3W1 is on hold due to a lack of power tools and workspace. So I've switched to a touchscreen version.

I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust spacing between paired songs. I tried to attach an image to show you what I'm talking about, but wasn't successful. What I'm seeing is on a title strip that is 216 x 72 pixels when I adjust the top title so it's not running over the top of strip, the bottom title hangs over the bottom of the strip if any of the characters in the title have descenders (g, p, y, etc.). If there was a way to adjust the distance between the paired song titles it would be possible to center them in their respective areas of the title strip.

Anxiously waiting for your next release.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,

This is a feature I have added in the next version (v1.12), which is due to be released some time this week.

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi

fruitbox v1.12 is now released!

Highlights:

-> *new* Support for playing (ogv) music videos
-> *new* Support for playing video clips in status objects
-> *new* button and status controlled flags
-> Added more support for non-official touchscreens
-> Much more flexible select code operation
-> Added new page transition effect (Dissolve)
-> Added status $variables for "last played" song information
-> Added more flexible song title display with independent text parameters for paired songs
-> Added new command line option to over-ride default button mapping filename

Select Code Operation

fruitbox now allows more flexible select code handling, which allows:
-> Any number of select code digits (rather than just two digits as before)
-> Exclusion of keys in a sequence (some jukeboxes have the letter 'I' missing for example)
-> Any order of keys in a sequence (for example numbers starting with zero or finishing with zero)
-> Letter case insensitive
-> Alternate row/column ordering (i.e. A1, A2, B1, B2 or A1, B1, A2, B2)

Unfortunately, these enhancements are not backwards compatible with the existing skins, so if you have designed you own skin then they will need to be tweaked. If you are using standard skins from GitHub, then these have now been updated.

Modification of existing skins is straightforward:

'SelectKeys' has been replaced by multiple 'SelectButtons' entries,

i.e.

SelectKeys = AE14
becomes

SelectButtons = ABCDE
SelectButtons = 1234
As usual, consult the user-guide for full explanation.

Touch Screen Calibration

The new command line option --calibrate-touch is used in conjunction with --config-buttons to interactively specify the touch-min and touch-max values. The touch-min and touch-max values will be calculated from on screen touch presses, and the values written to the button mapping file for future use. This option can be used ratyher than specifying the --touch-min and touch-max manually.

Video Support

fruitbox now supports video for both status boxes and music videos! It does however come with several limitations...

-> Only Vorbis audio / Theora video formats are supported (ogv file format).
-> Some element of manual tag data extraction is required for music videos.
-> A powerful Pi (Model 3) is required, and PSU with 2 Amp output is recommended.
-> Display resolution should be kept low (below 1024x768).

You can convert your existing videos into ogv format using ffmpeg (out of the scope of this discussion thread). There's plenty of information on ffmpeg on the web, but as a quick tip you can create the correct format using a simple command like...

ffmpeg -i yourvideo.ext -b:v 2000000 -vf scale=640:360 yourvideo.ogv
When fruitbox is generating the database for MP3 files, it has all the information it needs (such as artist and song title, etc.) embedded in the MP3 file itself. For ogv files this is not the case, so you will have to manually edit your database to add the details for each of your music videos. fruitbox will populate the filename and song title (based on filename) fields, but all the other fields will need to be added manually.

For status boxes, videos can be used instead of bitmap lists to allow animations such as song loading / unloading for example.

Enhanced Touch Screen Support

A huge thanks to Jurgen (mamer999) for helping debug this; fruitbox now can support non-official touch screens with co-ordinate systems which don't match the screen resolution, and also with reversed touch co-ordinate sysytems.

A new command line option --calibrate-touch is provided for use in conjunction with --configure-buttons to train fruitbox to use these touch screens.

Status Random image file and directory support

Bitmap image files in status boxes can now be defined by the directory they are stored in rather than as individual files. This is useful for slide-show type status displays, especially combined with the new $DRAW_RANDOM_BITMAP variable.

Status Flags

Four status flags have been added which can be toggled using new buttons, or set high and low using status $variables. Their values can be read in [status] objects, which now allows more flexibility in skin design (for example, [status] objects can now communicate with each other using these flags, or status output can be turned on/off by the user through button presses).

As usual, you can download fruitbox from GitHub here...

https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox

(see README.md for installation instructions)

Also, I've posted a couple of new (sorry poor quality) videos online to show skins demonstrating some of these new features (and the skins are available on GitHub).

Wurly

https://youtu.be/oJm73uAJH_w

MikeTV

https://youtu.be/VHVCNkbnhSs

Cheers,
Mike
Wurly.jpg
Wurly.jpg (227.15 KiB) Viewed 465 times

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”