mamer999
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 am

Hi Mike,

may I ask you if there are any new insights on the subject of touchscreen?

I bought the box that bernyone presented in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=188723&sid=1df1e95 ... 0#p1255992

Since this box is not easy to open I hung it on the wall and would like to attach a touch screen below the box.
The only screen that fits is the last we had a few problems with (eGalax, 1024x768).

It works a lot, only --touch-min and --touch-max are still reversed and the second value of --touch-max
I have to set to 0:

"--touch-min 1495 1473 --touch-max 489 0"

With these parameters, the buttons work perfectly, but the title selection is not yet correct. A title two or three
lines below is chosen.


I do not want to jostle but it would be nice if you could give me a short feedback.

Greetings from sunny Germany

Jürgen

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 am


Hi Mike,

I give up for now. I have installed raspbian stretch lite. However, the current release, "Raspbian Stretch Lite 2017-09-07 release" is no longer available. Proceed as described on "https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox". Start fruitbox - Error: "error while loading shared libraries: libXmp.so.4: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory".
I will now continue with the internal sound chip, until I find a solution for "Raspian Full Version" with usb sound card.

Cheers

Jürgen
Hi Jürgen,

For the latest version of Stretch (Lite) 2018-03-13, you also need to install the xpm library as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libxpm-dev
I have now updated the README.md on GitHub.
mamer999 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 am
Hi Mike,

may I ask you if there are any new insights on the subject of touchscreen?

I bought the box that bernyone presented in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=188723&sid=1df1e95 ... 0#p1255992

Since this box is not easy to open I hung it on the wall and would like to attach a touch screen below the box.
The only screen that fits is the last we had a few problems with (eGalax, 1024x768).

It works a lot, only --touch-min and --touch-max are still reversed and the second value of --touch-max
I have to set to 0:

"--touch-min 1495 1473 --touch-max 489 0"

With these parameters, the buttons work perfectly, but the title selection is not yet correct. A title two or three
lines below is chosen.


I do not want to jostle but it would be nice if you could give me a short feedback.

Greetings from sunny Germany

Jürgen
Regarding the touchscreen, sorry I've not been able to start debugging again, but don't worry I haven't forgotten!

I plan to take another look at it this week...I may have to send you some more debug versions of fruitbox to try, though.

Cheers,
Mike

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 am

Regarding the touchscreen, sorry I've not been able to start debugging again, but don't worry I haven't forgotten!

I plan to take another look at it this week...I may have to send you some more debug versions of fruitbox to try, though.

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Jürgen,

I've put a new fruitbox executable on GitHub for you to try (fruitbox-1.11-jurgen5). In this version you don't need any command line arguments (--touch-min or --touch-max) as it will auto-detect the touchscreen settings. This may give us some useful debug, so if it still doesn't work properly, please can you run it with the TouchOne skin on your 1024x768 touchscreen, and email me the touch.log file, as well as the four lines it will print on the console (touch_min=, etc) then I can try and analyse what is happening. For your test, can you please touch top left of screen, bottom right of screen, and first song. Also can you try the --no-scale option too please?

Thanks,
Mike

JasonLong
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 am
Location: Costa Rica

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 am

Hi Mike,

Awsome work on fruitbox. Saw it and decided to go big with it. Bought a 1962 Wurlitzer 2610 that had been left outside in the rain for many years. Wouldnt even consider it a parts machine. But all the chrome and trim was in ok shape. So I rebuilt the wood cabinet better than the original and cleaned up the chrome and aluminum and transferred it over to the new cabinet. In place of the song title holders I put in a 23" screen, new speakers, a commercial amp and a raspberry pi running fruitbox. Created a skin that looks like the 2610 originally did with 100 songs on a page. Got the original buttons working with fruitbox no problem.

My question is (and sorry if its been asked before) is there any way to exclude a button from the song database build? i.e. the 2610 has no I key its A through H and J and K. Guess they did that so no one confused the I with a 1. The issue I am having is I had to set up button j as i and k as j so that the song selection would work correctly. Now in the selection part of the skin pressing j displays i. Is this just a matter of using $IF_BUTTON_I_PRESSED in the selection part of the skin to bandaid it or is there another solution? Not entirely sure how the displays work yet. I have been focused on everything else. If you want a copy of my skin or a screenshot let me know. Id be more than happy to share pictures of the build if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Jason

RainbowJuke
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am
Location: West Yorkshire UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Mike photos of my minimalistic jukebox. To give inspiration to others for a small jukebox that the missis will be ok with, or the man shed. A Pi Zero with a Phat Dac in a backpack and keyboard money belt. A wireless remote covers mute, pause, clear queue, random, exit and volume. It connects to an existing speaker system.

Also tried a USB sound card I had a Behringer UCA202 spare, works a treat no problems.
Attachments
MinimalisticJuke3.jpg
MinimalisticJuke3.jpg (148.82 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
MinimalisticJuke2.jpg
MinimalisticJuke2.jpg (149.83 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
MinimalisticJuke.jpg
MinimalisticJuke.jpg (174.27 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 am

JasonLong wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 am
Hi Mike,

Awsome work on fruitbox. Saw it and decided to go big with it. Bought a 1962 Wurlitzer 2610 that had been left outside in the rain for many years. Wouldnt even consider it a parts machine. But all the chrome and trim was in ok shape. So I rebuilt the wood cabinet better than the original and cleaned up the chrome and aluminum and transferred it over to the new cabinet. In place of the song title holders I put in a 23" screen, new speakers, a commercial amp and a raspberry pi running fruitbox. Created a skin that looks like the 2610 originally did with 100 songs on a page. Got the original buttons working with fruitbox no problem.

My question is (and sorry if its been asked before) is there any way to exclude a button from the song database build? i.e. the 2610 has no I key its A through H and J and K. Guess they did that so no one confused the I with a 1. The issue I am having is I had to set up button j as i and k as j so that the song selection would work correctly. Now in the selection part of the skin pressing j displays i. Is this just a matter of using $IF_BUTTON_I_PRESSED in the selection part of the skin to bandaid it or is there another solution? Not entirely sure how the displays work yet. I have been focused on everything else. If you want a copy of my skin or a screenshot let me know. Id be more than happy to share pictures of the build if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Jason
Hi Jason,

Sounds like an interesting build! For the missing letter issue, I don't think there's a nice satisfactory way of bodging around the problem; the best solution would be for me to add the ability to exclude keys in the selection, so I'll look into adding that into the next release (since it's a feature of a real jukebox).

I would love to see your skin btw. A screenshot would be great, or if you'd like to send me the skin files just PM me!

Cheers,
Mike

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:01 am

RainbowJuke wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 am
Hi Mike photos of my minimalistic jukebox. To give inspiration to others for a small jukebox that the missis will be ok with, or the man shed. A Pi Zero with a Phat Dac in a backpack and keyboard money belt. A wireless remote covers mute, pause, clear queue, random, exit and volume. It connects to an existing speaker system.

Also tried a USB sound card I had a Behringer UCA202 spare, works a treat no problems.
Nice :)

Dnuckols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi, I am attempting to make a fruitbox mp3 jukebox like the one on your video. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to connect the dc 12v spdt led momentary switches to the gpio breadboard (I am a novice to say the least). Would you mind providing a drawing or diagram on where to connect all the pins on the breadboard..a single switch has 5 pins - positive,negative,common,nc and no.
Thank you for creating such a wonderful program! Fruitbox is great and your code comments and timely support is outstanding!

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Dnuckols wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Hi, I am attempting to make a fruitbox mp3 jukebox like the one on your video. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to connect the dc 12v spdt led momentary switches to the gpio breadboard (I am a novice to say the least). Would you mind providing a drawing or diagram on where to connect all the pins on the breadboard..a single switch has 5 pins - positive,negative,common,nc and no.
Thank you for creating such a wonderful program! Fruitbox is great and your code comments and timely support is outstanding!
Hi

Thanks for your kind words! For the switches, I didn't connect up the lamps; so I only needed to wire up two pins per button. The drawing below shows which pins to connect, looking at the rear of the button. All your buttons will have one common 'GND' connection (0V), and one individual GPIO connection. If you are using a HAT board (for example an audio DAC/Amp) then some GPIOs may already be used - consult any instructions which came with the HAT to find out which; obviously you won't be able to use these for your buttons.

When you have wired up all your buttons, just run fruitbox as follows...

Code: Select all

sudo ./fruitbox --config-buttons
...and follow the instructions. This will create a button mapping file 'fruitbox.btn' which will subsequently be used whenever you run fruitbox normally, to tell fruitbox to use the GPIO pins for the buttons you have chosen rather than the keyboard.

Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
button.jpg
button.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Dnuckols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 am

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the diagram and the other information! Is it going to be a problem hooking up a 12v switch when the pi only has 3.3v and 5v rails? And I looked into buying a hifi amp2 but thought I might be able to use the pi's Bluetooth capability to hook up wirelessly to speakers instead (assuming that will work) 🙄

Dnuckols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 am

Wrong smiley face. Sorry!

Markal
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:04 am

To switch 12v you need to use a relay.


Image

(From https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... 8201#28201)


You could also use a transister if the current is low enough or a mosfet, but I found relays to be the simplest.

Or easier still - use a Piface which sorts it all out for you.

Hope that helps.

Dnuckols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Thank you!!

greyfeld
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 am

Songs cutting out with page turn

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Setup - Fruitbox 1.11 on Rasbian Stretch. Hifiberry Amp2 attached to RPI3B.

After the Pi/Amp2 combination has been powered on for a while (a couple of hours), each song that plays starts to cut out briefly each time the song page flips to the next page. I currently have the sound associated with the page flip set to 0 volume. Should I just take it out of the fruitbox.cfg file completely?

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I listened to it for about an hour this morning and didn't notice it once. But after I came back and used it a couple hours later, it started cutting out. I've noticed this on and off now since I upgrade Fruitbox to 1.11. I've tried updating everything, but no luck. Did not seem to have this problem with earlier Fruitbox versions so wondering if anyone else is hearing this on 1.11.

Might try moving to next version, but updating it is a bit of a pain and I'm happy with the way 1.11 works otherwise.

Thanks Mike, great work on this software!

Greyfeld

mamer999
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi All, Hi Mike,

Today I want to report on my successful fruitbox project.
About two months ago, I discovered this software and was immediately enthused!

I was born in the years when jukeboxes were everywhere. And I was fascinated
from these machines. Whenever my parents and relatives had some money for me,
I threw that in there and had a lot of fun! Then many years passed and the boxes
were slowly forgotten.

Much later, when I learned to handle and program computers, I remembered
I suddenly. I developed the ambition to somehow revive the old technology.
I developed a program that allowed my party guests to enjoy music as they used to
enjoy. That was fine, but somehow my program was not really authentic
and too technical.

Then I discovered the Raspberry Pi and some time later I found one by chance via "Goo ..."
Link to this forum and this post. And was immediately excited. That's what it must look like.

I want to be brief now, not to bore anyone. I have downloaded fruitbox and
tried in many variants. With buttons, a special board (Elgato Streamdeck) and several
Touch screens. Especially for the last variant, I annoyed Mike pretty much, I think. We
they are still experimenting to get this working. Sorry, Mike!

But this weekend I have (almost) completed a variant that is even accepted by my wife!
Thanks "bernyone" I have found a box that is (in my view) ideal for this great software.
Combined with a Raspberry Pi and a touch display, fruitbox now runs there and seems to be made for it:

Image
Attachments
fruitbox01.jpg
fruitbox01.jpg (112.73 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

PittStone
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 am

Hello, i will make a GPIO Button for "Reset" Fruitbox!
Fruitbox should close and restart again. This is for choose my Genre's with more "fruitbox.db" Playlists. I thing if i make a Button for Restart Raspberry pi complete, it takes longer to start Fruitbox than close and start Fruitbox itself.
Greedings.

greyfeld
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 am

Modifying TouchOne foreground

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm

I've been attempting to add some buttons to the sides of the default TouchOne foreground that comes with Fruitbox 1.11. I took the .png file from the TouchOne folder and added some graphics for the buttons on the sides. I was able to modify fruitbox.btn, fruitbox.cfg and get the buttons to work. My problem is that the song title pages no longer render. Song titles, now playing and coming up information also does not display. I can touch the empty song titles area and a song will start playing, but otherwise those areas of the display are blank.

Any suggestions on how to fix that?

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: Modifying TouchOne foreground

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:55 am

greyfeld wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm
I've been attempting to add some buttons to the sides of the default TouchOne foreground that comes with Fruitbox 1.11. I took the .png file from the TouchOne folder and added some graphics for the buttons on the sides. I was able to modify fruitbox.btn, fruitbox.cfg and get the buttons to work. My problem is that the song title pages no longer render. Song titles, now playing and coming up information also does not display. I can touch the empty song titles area and a song will start playing, but otherwise those areas of the display are blank.

Any suggestions on how to fix that?
Hi,

In the TouchOne skin, the page regions and status regions for now playing, coming up and message display are defined earlier in the config file than the foreground bitmap region, so therefore are rendered to the display before the foreground. They are visible because the foreground image has transparent holes in it which allow these regions to show through. Perhaps when you edited the foreground png file your graphic editor has replaced the transparency (alpha layer) with "normal" (non transparent) pixels, thus blocking out the regions underneath?

You have two options - restore the pixels to transparent values in the foreground png file, or move the forground [bitmap] in the skin configuration file to before the status and page regions. The latter option is not ideal, since the "holes" in the foreground image have shadow effects which will be lost when the other regions are drawn over them.

FYI, I use "GIMP" to edit my image files; it handles alpha layers (transparent pixels) well (but remember to "export" to png when saving!).

Hopefully that is what your problem is!

Cheers,
Mike

mamer999
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to inform you briefly. I ran another touch screen with fruitbox.
It's a cheap No Name Display. Also with eGalax driver, but with variable resolutions. Is working
with the debug version (fruitbox-1.11-jurgen10) flawless.

It came to my mind, however, whether it would not make sense to integrate a (simple) calibration in fruitbox.
In particular, determining the offsets may be difficult for some over evtest.

Cheers,
Jürgen

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 am

mamer999 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am
Hi Mike,

I just wanted to inform you briefly. I ran another touch screen with fruitbox.
It's a cheap No Name Display. Also with eGalax driver, but with variable resolutions. Is working
with the debug version (fruitbox-1.11-jurgen10) flawless.

It came to my mind, however, whether it would not make sense to integrate a (simple) calibration in fruitbox.
In particular, determining the offsets may be difficult for some over evtest.

Cheers,
Jürgen
Thanks Jürgen,

Actually, in your debug version (and hence forthcoming v1.12) I now display the touch co-ordinates in --test-buttons mode, so when you touch the screen it not only says "Touch", but includes the x and y position too. Hopefully this may help?

Cheers,
Mike

mamer999
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am

fruitbox wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 am
mamer999 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am
Hi Mike,

I just wanted to inform you briefly. I ran another touch screen with fruitbox.
It's a cheap No Name Display. Also with eGalax driver, but with variable resolutions. Is working
with the debug version (fruitbox-1.11-jurgen10) flawless.

It came to my mind, however, whether it would not make sense to integrate a (simple) calibration in fruitbox.
In particular, determining the offsets may be difficult for some over evtest.

Cheers,
Jürgen
Thanks Jürgen,

Actually, in your debug version (and hence forthcoming v1.12) I now display the touch co-ordinates in --test-buttons mode, so when you touch the screen it not only says "Touch", but includes the x and y position too. Hopefully this may help?

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

yes, in principle. But I thought that you could use a calibration to determine the values ​​for --touch-min and --touch-max.
So touch two given points (top left, bottom right). Find out min and max and store them in fruitbox.btn.

Then you do not have to specify the parameters at startup.

ps: did the beer taste good? :)

greetings
Jürgen

greyfeld
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 am

Re: TouchOne foreground

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Mike,

You are correct. I edited with MS Paint and now that you mention the transparency issue, I recall Paint giving me a message that said the transparency layer would not be saved when I saved the updates. Back to the drawing board. Will give Gimp a try.

Thanks,

Greyfeld

User avatar
rholstrom
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: NNJ USA

Re: TouchOne foreground

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:00 pm

greyfeld wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm
Mike,

You are correct. I edited with MS Paint and now that you mention the transparency issue, I recall Paint giving me a message that said the transparency layer would not be saved when I saved the updates. Back to the drawing board. Will give Gimp a try.

Thanks,

Greyfeld
I made custom skins using "paint.net" in windows and it can do transparency.

Paint.net can be found for free at: https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

REH

RainbowJuke
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am
Location: West Yorkshire UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi here is my current project “SofaLofa” an addon to your tv’s vesa mount. It is controlled by a wireless remote for those who like to cuddle up on the sofa together. You can play family photos, selfies or your favourite idols in frames one and four. The second and third frame show the song now playing and the mp3 tag image. Power down is by a switch on one of the GPIO pins, not enough buttons on the remote.
Attachments
FruitboxPicSofa.jpg
FruitboxPicSofa.jpg (127.07 KiB) Viewed 856 times

RainbowJuke
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am
Location: West Yorkshire UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi here is my touchscreen project for an Acer 19” monitor. Anything is possible with this great software.
Attachments
Touch412a.jpg
Touch412a.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Touch412.jpg
Touch412.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 804 times

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”