fruitbox

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:17 pm

Cuda360 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:07 pm
Hey Mike, everything is working well but can't see all of the songs that I have .. I made sure they were tagged all the same way.. What is the best way to tag songs so fruitbox can see them all ..

Thanks Cuda360
Hi Cuda360

I use mp3tag for windows. Make sure that the comment mp3 field is empty otherwise the mp3 extraction may not work properly.

Cheers
Mike

fruitbox

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 pm

wyovino wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:59 pm
Hi Mike,

PageMode = Albums
SortSongsBy Album
SortSongsBy TrackNumber

This is not working for me. If I comment out the TrackNumber line it works fine but organizes the songs according to title or some other field, not the order on the album. With the TrackNumber line, it displays only one song for each album. I went through all of the songs and made sure they all have a proper track number. Is my syntax incorrect or is this a bug?

Bill
Hi Bill

When you specify multiple SortSongsBy parameters, fruitbox will do multiple sorts, starting with the first. So in your case it will sort all the songs in the database by their Album name, and then perform a second sort on that, by track number. The second sort will effectively group all the track number ones together, then track number twos together, etc. As you are in Albums mode, fruitbox will work through this sorted list and assumes an album of songs is a group whose track number starts at one, and ends on the song immediately prior to the next song whose track number is also one. So, as your last sort criteria was track number, it won't work as expected.

You should only need one SortSongsBy (set to Album) to get the correct operation in Album mode, as I've already mentioned fruitbox uses track number in Albums mode. As you don't get this behaviour, maybe it's a bug.. I'll try and replicate the issue. In the meantime, if you could double check your mp3 track numbers that'll be helpful... check if they are 1,2 3 etc, and not 01,02,03, etc.

Cheers
Mike

Legtod2

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Just a progress update, I now have fruitbox working with internet streams.

Using m3u files with pointers to radio streaming stations or 80/90 music stations.

I will see if I can post a little youtube of it.

fruitbox

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 pm

Legtod2 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 pm
Just a progress update, I now have fruitbox working with internet streams.

Using m3u files with pointers to radio streaming stations or 80/90 music stations.

I will see if I can post a little youtube of it.
Hey that's great :)
Can you submit a GitHub merge request for any code changes you did?

Cheers
Mike

Legtod2

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:21 pm

Mike,

I am just working out some kinks, like when the radio stream is playing the next song, I want it to change the now playing Artist Name and song.

So far so good.

Legtod2

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Here is my 1937 Marconi Tube radio that I added an aux port to pi and used Mopidy with...

Youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ZwQ_Z3U4A

wyovino

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:18 am

fruitbox wrote:

Hi Bill

When you specify multiple SortSongsBy parameters, fruitbox will do multiple sorts, starting with the first. So in your case it will sort all the songs in the database by their Album name, and then perform a second sort on that, by track number. The second sort will effectively group all the track number ones together, then track number twos together, etc. As you are in Albums mode, fruitbox will work through this sorted list and assumes an album of songs is a group whose track number starts at one, and ends on the song immediately prior to the next song whose track number is also one. So, as your last sort criteria was track number, it won't work as expected.

You should only need one SortSongsBy (set to Album) to get the correct operation in Album mode, as I've already mentioned fruitbox uses track number in Albums mode. As you don't get this behaviour, maybe it's a bug.. I'll try and replicate the issue. In the meantime, if you could double check your mp3 track numbers that'll be helpful... check if they are 1,2 3 etc, and not 01,02,03, etc.

Cheers
Mike

My mistake, sorry. It's working without the second sort parameter. I"m not sure why it seemed to not work before, but I just confirmed it.

Legtod2

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Ok another progress update on streaming radio.

Parsing the existing music stream did not give me the present song playing. You need to request metadata from the streaming service.
For example with Shoutcast see below...

The sample hardcoded shoutcast radio example show calling the server to query what song is playing ( currentsong?sid=1)
Next using wget download the text file containing the song name

Now lets do a little text to speech to announce what song is about to play on the jukebox using google
Finally lets play the mp3 file "Now playing song " + The name of the song

To try it out save the lines below into file speech.sh
chmod +x speech.sh
./speech.sh

#!/bin/bash
rm -f songname.txt
wget http://198.58.98.83:8258/currentsong?sid=1 -O songname.txt
echo "Current song :"`cat songname.txt`
line="Now playing song "`cat songname.txt`
wget -q -U Mozilla "http://translate.google.com/translate_t ... ine}&tl=en" -O hello.mp3
mplayer -ao alsa hello.mp3

Legtod2

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 am

Typo's on my post

#!/bin/bash
rm -f songname.txt
rm -f hello.mp3
wget http://198.58.98.83:8258/currentsong?sid=1 -O songname.txt
echo "Current song :"`cat songname.txt`
l="Now playing song "`cat songname.txt`
wget -q -U Mozilla "http://translate.google.com/translate_t ... q=$l&tl=en" -O hello.mp3
mplayer -ao alsa hello.mp3

Legtod2

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 am

This line keeps getting translated when I post

wget -q -U Mozilla "http://translate.google.com/translate_t ... q=$l&tl=en" -O hello.mp3

wwjd1924

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm

EDIT:
After many wasted hours of searching for a solution: I decided to use the fonts from fruitbox that do work like typewriter.ttf
ditched the dot matrix font...
-----------------------------

I spent much time in this wonderful topic and trying to make it work for me.
Mike, many thanks for your amazing Job making this software and your continuing support all this time!

My question is: I have many songs with characters with accent (diacritics)
With the font provided with the Modern skin, they are not displayed.

So I tried to download a font with accent characters (https://www.dafont.com/traveling-typewriter.font
But this did not solve the problem

BUT another font (https://www.dafont.com/abduction-2002.font) DID work partially (except the ' character)

I tried to set the Rpi locale to many different languages but to no avail)

What am I missing, what to look for?
Thanks for any help!
Last edited by wwjd1924 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legtod2

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:34 am

Here is the youtube video of Fruitbox working with Text to speech announcing songs before they play and radio internet streaming.
Sorry about quality of video, I was holding my phone in hand while filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1oHlUs0z8

wwjd1924

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Another question:

How to exit a skin and go to the skin chooser?? Also could not find it here...

Thanks... :)

PittStone

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Legtod2 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:34 am
Here is the youtube video of Fruitbox working with Text to speech announcing songs before they play and radio internet streaming.
Sorry about quality of video, I was holding my phone in hand while filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1oHlUs0z8
Very Good Work. Im happy to see Internet Radio is working. Waiting long time for this. :D Text to Speech is interesting. In my Opinion its good for Radio Stations, but if i hear loud music and it speaks every time after a song it can be annoying.

BEIT

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi there,
I love the software and been enjoying the JukeBox that I made. Using mini-keyboard from usb, but waiting for buttons and then going to wire them in to my Raspberry PI 2.

I've got everything running now on a Kingston 16GB micro SD card and it runs great for several days and maybe up to a week. But then it crashes and the attached image shows how the Linux hangs when booting. I can reimage the card.. put my configurations back, put my music back.. reset my Wifi USB and then I'm good to go.

The last time I noticed the software hung.. then later I came back and it was at the login prompt.. when I tried to sudo reboot it now is just hung so appears that the SD is corrupt and again I have to image. It no longer takes me long, but wondering if anyone can help me understand why it's not stable and seems to keep corrupting.
Attachments
OS_Crash.JPG
OS_Crash.JPG (158.83 KiB) Viewed 617 times

wyovino

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Update: Solved!!!!

Using the Windows MP3tag app, I right-clicked and selected "remove tag". Once I did that, the invisible tags became visible, showing "The Doors" for the Artist and Album. I made the changes and saved them. Now the song is where it belongs. The issue was with multiple versions of tags. I'll leave my original question here in case it helps someone else.

Here is a helpful link about tags. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it.

https://community.mp3tag.de/t/show-real ... nres/18681

(Original question)

I have a strange issue with tagging that has confounded me for days. I have an album with seven songs by "The Doors". I called the album "Doors" and the Contributing artist "Doors" because I didn't want it sorted under "T" for "The Doors". I have confirmed dozens of times that the tagging for all seven songs is the same using Windows Media Player, VLC under Windows and Linux, iTunes in Windows and Mac, and MP3Tag. No matter what I do nor how many times I rebuild the database, one song shows up in it's own album called "The Doors" with artist listed as "The Doors". Using every tool I can think of I'm unable to find any reference to "The Doors" associated with that file. My son and I have been pulling our hair out for three days trying to fix this. I've changed "The Beatles" to "Beatles" , "The Supremes" to "Supremes" etc and haven't had any problems. Just this one song (track number 7). I figured I'd just buy that song again in iTunes but of course you have to buy the whole album for that one song.
Any suggestions?
DoorsTags.png
DoorsTags.png (16.99 KiB) Viewed 655 times
This is so bizarre. I just started a clean build with only those 7 songs and it still is putting the last one in a separate album and adding "The" to the artist and album. The MP3 tags clearly say only "Doors" and not "The Doors". I'm at a loss to figure out where it's coming from.

wyovino

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:43 am

wyovino wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:18 am
fruitbox wrote:

Hi Bill

Cheers
Mike

My mistake, sorry. It's working without the second sort parameter. I"m not sure why it seemed to not work before, but I just confirmed it.
Hi Mike,

( Edit: I finally gave up trying to get it to work and wrote a program to sort the database by Album and Track #. It works)

The issue is back again. I reorganized my music by putting each album in its own directory under the "Music" folder. I did this so I could have the album artwork displayed, which is working. Again, the albums seem to be sorted in an odd order. In this case it's starting at #7 and then going in order -7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 1 2 3 (4 5 6 show on the next page). I've tried adjusting the SongsPerPage and rebuilding the database a few times.

I removed the APE and Version 1 tags, leaving only V2, which look good. Interestingly, When I start MP3Tag it shows the songs in the same order as Fruitbox unless I click on a column heading. I've also tried deleting all tags and reentering them manually. If I remove the Track numbers, the order remains the same, so it appears that Fruitbox is not seeing the track numbers. Interestingly it's not sorting by Title or Filename either.

I removed all other songs in order to try to isolate the issue. Here's what the db looks like,

# fruitbox v1.16b database file
# song entry format is Filename|SongTitle|Artist|AlbumTitle|AlbumArtist|Year|TrackNumber|LengthInSeconds|Publisher|ISRC|CustomTag[]|Genre

/mnt/usb/Music/

07 I Could Have Danced All Night.mp3|I Could Have Danced All Night|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||7|208||||Unknown
08 Ascot Gavotte.mp3|Ascot Gavotte|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||8|193||||Unknown
09 On the Street Where You Live.mp3|On the Street Where You Live|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||9|175||||Unknown
10 You Did It.mp3|You Did It|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||10|260||||Unknown
11 Show Me.mp3|Show Me|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||11|130||||Unknown
12 Get Me to the Church On Time.mp3|Get Me to the Church On Time|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||12|161||||Unknown
13 A Hymn to Him.mp3|A Hymn to Him|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||13|207||||Unknown
14 Without You.mp3|Without You|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||14|121||||Unknown
15 I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face.mp3|I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||15|315||||Unknown
01 Overture My Fair Lady.mp3|Overture|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||1|337||||Unknown
02 Wouldn't It Be Loverly.mp3|Wouldn't It Be Loverly|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||2|234||||Unknown
03 With a Little Bit of Luck.mp3|With a Little Bit Of Luck|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||3|245||||Unknown
04 I'm an Ordinary Man.mp3|I'm an Ordinary Man|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||4|277||||Unknown
05 Just You Wait.mp3|Just You Wait|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||5|160||||Unknown
06 The Rain In Spain.mp3|The Rain In Spain|My Fair Lady|My Fair Lady|Unknown Album Artist||6|158||||Unknown

I don't believe this is a Fruitbox issue. I just wrote a c# program to read the files and they're coming up in the same order.. It's making me crazy.

Here are the relevant config settings:

Database = /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db
MusicPath = /mnt/usb/Music/
PageMode = Albums
SortSongsBy Album
SongsPerPage = 12
PairSongs = no

Here is the album as seen in Windows File Manager:
MyFairLadyTracks.png
MyFairLadyTracks.png (27.32 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Here is what it looks like in Fruitbox:

IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG (89.01 KiB) Viewed 540 times

thezigman

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Any update to having a working version for Pi4?

Freko

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi Mike, I finally have songs detected in fruitbox but it does not list the artist, what do I need to keep when tagging each album.
Also, How many buttons do I need to operate the Jukebox I am going to make a button panel in the meantime, as I have not figured out how to use the touchscreen, or does it depend on how many songs are in the database. Do you think you will ever add access for searching music videos on Youtube. I am getting there I know it is slow, but I found once I hit 50 my brain does not access information like it once did, I hope to get the Jukebox finished before I get to the stage were I forget what I was doing each day..

fruitbox

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 pm

thezigman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:45 pm
Any update to having a working version for Pi4?
Sorry, no... I'm still waiting for the Allegro guys to fix their library. I may be able to release a Raspian desktop version before then perhaps. I'll try in the next few weeks.

Cheers
Mike

fruitbox

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Freko wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:13 pm
Hi Mike, I finally have songs detected in fruitbox but it does not list the artist, what do I need to keep when tagging each album.
Also, How many buttons do I need to operate the Jukebox I am going to make a button panel in the meantime, as I have not figured out how to use the touchscreen, or does it depend on how many songs are in the database. Do you think you will ever add access for searching music videos on Youtube. I am getting there I know it is slow, but I found once I hit 50 my brain does not access information like it once did, I hope to get the Jukebox finished before I get to the stage were I forget what I was doing each day..
Hi Paul

You need to make sure your mp3 files have correct tag data embedded in them for artist names. I use mp3tag for Windows to do that.

The number of buttons you need for fruitbox depends on the skin you use. It doesn't depend on the database. I'd pick a skin you like and work out what you need. Usually it's just the number of visible songs on ths screen which dictate how many select buttons are needed, but there are lots of other 'invisible' controls you may or may not wish to be made available to the user, such as mute, pause, playqueue clear, etc. See the userguide for a complete list.

No plans for YouTube searches I'm afraid.

Memory loss... tell me about it! (before I forget, that is...)

Cheers
Mike

BigBoy911

Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 am

jukebox.jpg
jukebox.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Just thought I would share a picture of my next project. I still have lots to figure out. I'm trying to use the 19 in ELO touchscreen that came in the TouchTunes jukebox and will be adding buttons to the front for controls as well. The cardboard with 1 button is just a template. Also trying to use the existing speakers that were in the TouchTunes jukebox so I have a lot to figure out. If anyone has converted a Touchtunes in the past I would love to hear there experiences.

BigBoy911

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi Mike, I now have my jukebox up and running and was able to use the original speakers and sub in the touchtunes jukebox the only items I have not to figure out are the screen resolution and size and buttons. I think I have an handle on the buttons but the screen is more of an issue. The screen in the jukebox is a 19 Elo ET1935L that is a 4:3 format. Currently the display has a black bar across the top, one side and the bottom. The screen looks shifted to the right. I believe it is a SXGA monitor and I am using an HDMI to VGA adaptor. Any suggestions as the text on the screen is difficult to read as well.

fruitbox

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:50 pm

BigBoy911 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Hi Mike, I now have my jukebox up and running and was able to use the original speakers and sub in the touchtunes jukebox the only items I have not to figure out are the screen resolution and size and buttons. I think I have an handle on the buttons but the screen is more of an issue. The screen in the jukebox is a 19 Elo ET1935L that is a 4:3 format. Currently the display has a black bar across the top, one side and the bottom. The screen looks shifted to the right. I believe it is a SXGA monitor and I am using an HDMI to VGA adaptor. Any suggestions as the text on the screen is difficult to read as well.
Hi

fruitbox will use the display size as configured by the operating system, and then scale the skin (whose size is set in the skin cfg file) to fit the display size exactly. If you have black bars and/or an offset then that's an operating system issue, not fruitbox. You can force a particular screen mode/resolution, tweak offsets, and adjust black bars by editing the /boot/config.txt file... there's plenty of information on the web about this, but the link below is the official raspberry pi documentation...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

Regarding the text, if you mean on the fruitbox skin, you can change fonts, their colour and size by editing the skin cfg file... please read the user guide.

Cheers
Mike

wyovino

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:34 am

I have just about everything sorted out but I'm interested to hear what people are using for sound equipment. Right now I'm using the 3.5mm jack into a pair of powered speakers (Bose). I'd like some better (bigger sound). Would a DAC hat make a big difference or should I add and amp and other speakers?

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”