casimir8740

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:24 pm

Thank you

Sorry but I'm a beginner so I don't understand how to do this: I think that to try, you will have to help me and explain step by step how to do it.

I still tried the sleep function in the rc.local but it delays the connection of the bluetooth also.

In fact, from what I understand, rc.local launches everything before the desktop.

So I don't think I should use rc.local.
For the rest, I would need your help to try

Jamieblatant

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:18 pm

i cant belive it

a read of the instruction

a gleen over this forum

a quick question on the group and it set up and working on a keyboard

thats it all done , thanks mike for the graft donation made

now stage 2 make a jukebox and use buttons to make it all work

few questions

as a newbie i assume as i have downloaded the image to my SD card that basically if i want to use my pi for something else (retropie) and to keep it simple, i just get a new memory card and put retropi on that , when i want to return to a jukebox i just put my fruitbox sd back in untill i get a dedicated pi for my juke box ?

and 2, if i allocated a usb button via a arcade interface as a button i assume i lose the ability to us that button on the keyboard , ie it s single button not multiple possible inputs

thanks again

jamie

fruitbox

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 pm

thats it all done , thanks mike for the graft donation made
Awesome! And thanks, much appreciated.
few questions

as a newbie i assume as i have downloaded the image to my SD card that basically if i want to use my pi for something else (retropie) and to keep it simple, i just get a new memory card and put retropi on that , when i want to return to a jukebox i just put my fruitbox sd back in untill i get a dedicated pi for my juke box ?
...yes
and 2, if i allocated a usb button via a arcade interface as a button i assume i lose the ability to us that button on the keyboard , ie it s single button not multiple possible inputs
...yes

Cheers
Mike

Danalexwilson

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 am

Hi all

I'm well on my way with my project now - thanks for your help so far!
I've set the raspberry up with fruitbox, got my push buttons working and configured, installed a power switch and got the auto start up, showdown sorted.

I had some issues getting my usb to mount at startup - but through this forum got it working!

Now I can ssh into my pi and tweak things, but what i can't do is transfer new music over the the usb stick. Using Filezilla I get 'transfer not started'. I'm assuming that the USB drive is somehow read only when plugged into the PI? (now that I've set it to mount automatically at startup)?

Just hoping I'm doing something stupid and there is an easy fix. I can Filezilla into the PI and delete / add / amend other files - just not onto the USB.

If I can't get it to work, I'm contemplating buying a larger SD card and starting again from scratch (albeit with my new config files etc) and just store the music on the card - that way I can transfer new music without touching the jukebox.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

fruitbox

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:14 am

Danalexwilson wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 am
Hi all

I'm well on my way with my project now - thanks for your help so far!
I've set the raspberry up with fruitbox, got my push buttons working and configured, installed a power switch and got the auto start up, showdown sorted.

I had some issues getting my usb to mount at startup - but through this forum got it working!

Now I can ssh into my pi and tweak things, but what i can't do is transfer new music over the the usb stick. Using Filezilla I get 'transfer not started'. I'm assuming that the USB drive is somehow read only when plugged into the PI? (now that I've set it to mount automatically at startup)?

Just hoping I'm doing something stupid and there is an easy fix. I can Filezilla into the PI and delete / add / amend other files - just not onto the USB.

If I can't get it to work, I'm contemplating buying a larger SD card and starting again from scratch (albeit with my new config files etc) and just store the music on the card - that way I can transfer new music without touching the jukebox.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Perhaps the USB drive has root (sudo) permissions only, or as you said is read only. Try googling to work out how to change it, or maybe something simple like

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /mnt/usb
may do the trick?

Mike

BigBoy911

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 am

Has anyone used a squid button to both power on and off the pi running fruitbox. I've built a second fruitbox this weekend using the official PI 7 inch touch screen and the smart pi 2 case. I have added the squid button physically and a fan. I have everything running great except getting the damn thing to power on and off. I have attempted a couple of different ways that I have found in different forums but have had no luck. The last time caused an error and I had to whip the SD card and start over. Unfortunately I hadn't made a backup image. So I have everything working now except the squid button to power on and off (now I've made a backup image). Was getting really frustrated, so any help is appreciated.

BigBoy911

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:54 pm

BigBoy911 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 am
Has anyone used a squid button to both power on and off the pi running fruitbox. I've built a second fruitbox this weekend using the official PI 7 inch touch screen and the smart pi 2 case. I have added the squid button physically and a fan. I have everything running great except getting the damn thing to power on and off. I have attempted a couple of different ways that I have found in different forums but have had no luck. The last time caused an error and I had to whip the SD card and start over. Unfortunately I hadn't made a backup image. So I have everything working now except the squid button to power on and off (now I've made a backup image). Was getting really frustrated, so any help is appreciated.
I was able to get the power button to work using this tutorial:
https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-t ... spberry-pi

bfred

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:23 am

Getting ready to have it run on my RPi 4.

I was wondering what you would recommend for good sound on he Pi? I'm planning to get an amplifier and probably 2 speakers and a sub-woofer, all in the same box though.
The room is about 40m² or 430 square feet (rectangular). I read (a lot, too much maybe?) that the sound from the audio jack is average so I was thinking of a HAT but couldn't figure out which one I needed.
Some hints would be welcome.

Thank you.

karrika

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:06 pm

I believe the easiest is to get a BT speaker set. Then the humm from the Pi power supply will not get to the BT speakers. I am quite happy with the sound of a small portable Sony speaker set.

The way I am currently taking is through kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... ac-and-adc

But this is for a theater setup. So it may be a bit too hard core.

In the past I have used other flatmax audio injector HATs but sometimes you get some mains humm in the sound so I am a bit scared of connecting anything directly to a Pi.

casimir8740

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:16 pm

I use Fruitbox (Wurly Theme) which connects at startup on my jukebox in bluetooth.

The whole thing works very well by launching the command:

./fruitbox --cfg skins / Wurly / fruitbox.cfg

I would like to use the GPIO to use Fruitbox: so I do:

sudo ./fruitbox --config-buttons

And I configure my buttons with GPIO inputs.

Then if I run the command:

./fruitbox --cfg skins / Wurly / fruitbox.cfg

it doesn't work I have to put a sudo in front:

sudo ./fruitbox --cfg skins / Wurly / fruitbox.cfg

Fruitbox binds but I can only get the sound on HDMI, no longer on bluetooth: is it sudo that does this and if so how can I get around it?

Thank you

PS: if I remove sudo, everything works fine with my bluetooth

fruitbox

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:33 pm

casimir8740 wrote:

Fruitbox binds but I can only get the sound on HDMI, no longer on bluetooth: is it sudo that does this and if so how can I get around it?

Thank you

Hi

Not sure if it's sudo which is causing the problem, but I'll try and release a beta intermediate version (I.e. before the next big release v2.00) which doesn't need it, for you to try.

Which OS version are you using ? (Buster or Stretch)

Cheers
Mike

mancave

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:33 pm
casimir8740 wrote:

Thank you

Hi

Not sure if it's sudo which is causing the problem, but I'll try and release a beta intermediate version (I.e. before the next big release v2.00) which doesn't need it, for you to try.

Which OS version are you using ? (Buster or Stretch)

Cheers
Mike
HI,
Not sure this helps either of you but I posted the same problem a couple of weeks back. Having spent hours on the issue and reading loads of posts (non seemed to match) I decided to give up. The only reason I did this is because in my final build I wont be using bluetooth.... so I could accept the problem.
However, a strange thing happened the other day whilst I was just exploring.
I created a short Python program to run fruitbox. Same result, no bluetooth audio. with sudo.
I also created a desktop short cut which still did the same thing. When I moved the shortcut to the fruitbox-master folder and double click still same result.
However, if I launch Geany and press run.... you've guessed it, I get bluetooth audio using the line Exec=sudo ./fruitbox --choose-cfg skins.txt.
That might make sense to someone (not me).

Cheers, Rob.

casimir8740

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 pm

I think it's sudo that is problematic if I don't put it all works.

I have Raspian Buster release 10

thank you

]HI,

However, if I launch Geany and press run.... you've guessed it, I get bluetooth audio using the line Exec=sudo ./fruitbox --choose-cfg skins.txt.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry, I tried your solution with Geany, it doesn't work for me

fruitbox

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:54 pm

casimir8740 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 pm
I think it's sudo that is problematic if I don't put it all works.

I have Raspian Buster release 10

thank you

]HI,

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry, I tried your solution with Geany, it doesn't work for me
Hi,

I've put a new fruitbox executable (v1.16b) on GitHub , which doesn't need sudo to run. Please let me know how you get on.

To upgrade just the fruitbox executable, just type the following...

cd ~/rpi-fruitbox-master
rm ./fruitbox
wget https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/raw/master/fruitbox
chmod +x ./fruitbox
If you run fruitbox with no command line arguments, you can check the version number has changed to v1.16b

Cheers,
Mike

casimir8740

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi,

I've put a new fruitbox executable (v1.16b) on GitHub , which doesn't need sudo to run. Please let me know how you get on.

cd ~/rpi-fruitbox-master
rm ./fruitbox
wget https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-frui ... r/fruitbox
chmod +x ./fruitbox
If you run fruitbox with no command line arguments, you can check the version number has changed to v1.16b
Hi,

Not working for me:

Without sudo I have : GPIO MMAP ERROR
With sudo : same problem : no bluetooth

Sorry

fruitbox

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:01 pm

casimir8740 wrote:
Hi,

cd ~/rpi-fruitbox-master
rm ./fruitbox
wget https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-frui ... r/fruitbox
chmod +x ./fruitbox
Hi,

Not working for me:

Sorry
Can you post the fruitbox.log file (for the mmap error run) please? Thanks.

casimir8740

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Can you post the fruitbox.log file (for the mmap error run) please? Thanks.

fruitbox v1.16b (Jun 9 2020, 20:32:27) by Mike Kingsley
A customisable MP3 Retro Jukebox for the Raspberry Pi.
Detecting display...1680 x 1050 (60Hz)
NOTE: Opened "Dell Dell USB Keyboard" (/dev/input/event0)
NOTE: Opened " Mini Keyboard" (/dev/input/event1)
NOTE: Opened " Mini Keyboard Mouse" (/dev/input/event2)
NOTE: Opened " Mini Keyboard System Control" (/dev/input/event3)
NOTE: Opened " Mini Keyboard Consumer Control" (/dev/input/event4)
NOTE: Opened "Logitech USB Receiver" (/dev/input/event5)
NOTE: Opened "Logitech USB Receiver Consumer Control" (/dev/input/event6)
NOTE: Opened "40:06:A0:5E:1A:BC" (/dev/input/event7)
NOTE: Paired /dev/input/event1 with /dev/input/event2
NOTE: Paired /dev/input/event3 with /dev/input/event2
NOTE: Paired /dev/input/event4 with /dev/input/event2
NOTE: Paired /dev/input/event6 with /dev/input/event5
Loading button mapping file 'fruitbox.btn'...
NOTE: Setting GPIO 4 as input
ERROR: gpio mmap error

fruitbox

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 am

casimir8740 wrote:

Hi,

Not working for me:

Sorry
Ah, it worked for me...I'll look into it. In the meantime can you post the output of...

ls -al /dev/gpiomem
...and also of...

groups
Thanks
Mike

bfred

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:39 am

karrika wrote:
I believe the easiest is to get a BT speaker set. Then the humm from the Pi power supply will not get to the BT speakers. I am quite happy with the sound of a small portable Sony speaker set.

The way I am currently taking is through kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... ac-and-adc

But this is for a theater setup. So it may be a bit too hard core.

In the past I have used other flatmax audio injector HATs but sometimes you get some mains humm in the sound so I am a bit scared of connecting anything directly to a Pi.
Thank you for the response. I still need (want?) to insert an AMP in between to get a bit more sound. The card you've pointed out on kickstarter looks nice and cheap. I may go for that option then (even if the terms and technical explanations are way above my understanding).

Thanks!
Fred

mancave

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:44 am

fruitbox wrote:
casimir8740 wrote:

Hi,

Not working for me:

Sorry
Ah, it worked for me...I'll look into it. In the meantime can you post the output of...

ls -al /dev/gpiomem
...and also of...

groups
Thanks
Mike
Worked for me! (v1.16b)
First time I've had GPIO and bluetooth audio at the same time (no sudo). No BT audio with sudo.

Cheers, Rob.

fruitbox

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:09 am

bfred wrote:

Thank you for the response. I still need (want?) to insert an AMP in between to get a bit more sound. The card you've pointed out on kickstarter looks nice and cheap. I may go for that option then (even if the terms and technical explanations are way above my understanding).

Thanks!
Fred
I use the HiFiBerry Amp2; not the cheapest option but works well and easy to set up. It has a built in DAC in addition to the Amp and so takes the digital audio from the Pi directly, so the sound quality is good. You'll need a custom power supply but it can be used to power both the HiFiBerry and Pi so you can ditch the Pi USB power supply.

Mike

kramg

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:02 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:09 am
bfred wrote:

Thanks!
Fred
I use the HiFiBerry Amp2; not the cheapest option but works well and easy to set up. It has a built in DAC in addition to the Amp and so takes the digital audio from the Pi directly, so the sound quality is good. You'll need a custom power supply but it can be used to power both the HiFiBerry and Pi so you can ditch the Pi USB power supply.

Mike

I've been really happy with the JustBoom products. The JustBoom Amp HAT produces a fair bit of volume (up to 30W RMS into 8 ohms), I believe the Hifiberry is similar. If you meed more than that to fill your room, you may want to wait until you've sourced your amplifier before you buy a sound card. In order of sound quality:

1. If you repurpose a home theatre amp it will likely have an HDMI input so you won't need any additional cards for the Pi, you can just use the HDMI output. The Pi4 has two so you won't even need a splitter;

2. If you go with a regular stereo amp and it has digital inputs (TOSLINK or S/PDIF) you can use a JustBOOM digi HAT or something similar; or,

3. If your amp just has regular L-R RCA jacks you can use a JustBoom DAC HAT or something similar.

Cheers,

- gustav

bfred

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 pm

karrika wrote:
Sorry I seem a bit slow to analyse the answers (and I did read the new ones). So if the BT sound is better than the jack, then could getting a BT amplifier be a reasonable solution?
(I actually live a bit far away from civilisation and it seems all those sound HAT cards come from the UK mainly - which will be hard in the current time to get, and probably expensive because of shipping).

Thank you.

casimir8740

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:30 pm

fruitbox wrote: ↑

crw-rw---- 1 root www-data 247, 0 juin 9 22:51 /dev/gpiomem
...and also of...

groups
pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev gpio i2c spi

Thank you

fruitbox

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:38 pm

casimir8740 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:30 pm
fruitbox wrote: ↑

crw-rw---- 1 root www-data 247, 0 juin 9 22:51 /dev/gpiomem
...and also of...

groups
pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev gpio i2c spi

Thank you
Hi,

groups looks ok (it contains gpio), but /dev/gpiomem doesn't seem to include gpio group. Maybe try ...

sudo apt-get update
...if that doesn't work, try...

sudo chown gpio /dev/gpiomem
Cheers,
Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”