BigBoy911

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Dan,

I order these buttons from Amazon. Still waiting on delivery:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WNF ... UTF8&psc=1 for the left and right arrows

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WQS ... UTF8&psc=1 these for the rest of the buttons.

I specifically wanted square or rectangular buttons for my jukebox. Any arcade button will do.

You will also need some wires:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H7W ... UTF8&psc=1 I've bought these and plan to cut the males ends off and crimp spade connectors on to connect to the arcade buttons.
For the ground I'm cutting off off the ground daisy chain from an old jamma harness.

Good luck on your project.

Danalexwilson

Sat May 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check them out.

kramg

Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 am

BigBoy911 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 am
Anyone using and HDMI audio extractor? I just purchased this one
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DXY ... UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, when I try and use it with the PI it will not display video unless I connect the pi directly to the monitor first then disconnect it and run it through the extractor. As I plan to build an actual jukebox cabinet this will not work other than while I am in testing and setting this up.

I know others have bought the hifiberry hat but I also plan to use the GPIO pins for buttons and still being a newbie didn't want to play around with soldering onto the hat and voiding the warranty. I could also consider a usb sound adapter but reading through the post on here I did see someone give up on that. So I thought I choose the easiest route to having decent quality sound.

Have you tried forcing HDMI mode? If not you might want to give it a shot. You may be able to do it using raspi-config, otherwise you will have to manually edit /boot/config.txt and reboot Raspbmc. I'm pretty sure the lines you want add are:

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2

Details can be found at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md.

If that doesn't work you could try a different HDMI extractor. I have used a passive one that converts to VGA + Sound and it was detected automatically.

As far as a sound hat goes, does the hifiberry not allow the header pins to pass through? I have used a justboom with a proto-hat stacked on top to give me access to the gpio pins. I assumed you could do the same with a hifiberry. Perhaps someone who uses a hifiberry can chime in?

Cheers,

- gustav

BigBoy911

Tue May 26, 2020 4:41 pm

kramg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 am
BigBoy911 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 am
Anyone using and HDMI audio extractor? I just purchased this one
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DXY ... UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, when I try and use it with the PI it will not display video unless I connect the pi directly to the monitor first then disconnect it and run it through the extractor. As I plan to build an actual jukebox cabinet this will not work other than while I am in testing and setting this up.

I know others have bought the hifiberry hat but I also plan to use the GPIO pins for buttons and still being a newbie didn't want to play around with soldering onto the hat and voiding the warranty. I could also consider a usb sound adapter but reading through the post on here I did see someone give up on that. So I thought I choose the easiest route to having decent quality sound.

Have you tried forcing HDMI mode? If not you might want to give it a shot. You may be able to do it using raspi-config, otherwise you will have to manually edit /boot/config.txt and reboot Raspbmc. I'm pretty sure the lines you want add are:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2

Details can be found at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md.

If that doesn't work you could try a different HDMI extractor. I have used a passive one that converts to VGA + Sound and it was detected automatically.

As far as a sound hat goes, does the hifiberry not allow the header pins to pass through? I have used a justboom with a proto-hat stacked on top to give me access to the gpio pins. I assumed you could do the same with a hifiberry. Perhaps someone who uses a hifiberry can chime in?

Cheers,

- gustav
No dice with the HDMI audio extractor so I bought the usb audio adapter drom Amazon this morning. With a couple changes listed below I have great sound now.

Changes were as follows for anyone else that may need it:

Set USB Audio as Default Audio Device
The USB sound device can be made the default audio device by editing a system file “alsa.conf” :

sudo nano /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
Scroll and find the following two lines:

defaults.ctl.card 0
defaults.pcm.card 0

Just replace the 0's at the end of those two lines with 1's.
Last edited by BigBoy911 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigBoy911

Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 am

I may have spoke to quickly about getting the audio all working with the USB sound adapter. The Music MP3 file play fine. However, I'm not getting any audio sound effects. I'm using the Wurly skin and I hear nothing when loading or unloading. Any suggestions?

fruitbox

Wed May 27, 2020 8:08 am

BigBoy911 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 am
I may have spoke to quickly about getting the audio all working with the USB sound adapter. The Music MP3 file play fine. However, I'm not getting any audio sound effects. I'm using the Wurly skin and I hear nothing when loading or unloading. Any suggestions?
The sound effects are configurable in the skin config file, and most of the skins don't have them (including Wurly). You'll need to edit fruitbox.cfg in the Wurly skin directory and add a [sounds] section. Check out the NumberOne skin which has one sound effect, and then read the user guide for a complete description.

Cheers
Mike

ToxicTrev

fruitbox MP3 jukebox need help !!

Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Hey guys I have been trying to get fruit box set up . I got it working , I have been having some slight issues . So last night I edited the database to get the song titles and artist to show up . Then today I followed a YouTube tutorial on how to get fruitbox to auto launch upon start up . After I did this it reset the database so all artist and titles are “unknown” . I went to try and re edit it and went to try and save and now it says permissions denied . Can anyone help ? Mainly I just need to get the artist and titles to save and show up in fruitbox . Everything else works .

fruitbox

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox need help !!

Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 pm

ToxicTrev wrote:
Hey guys I have been trying to get fruit box set up . I got it working , I have been having some slight issues . So last night I edited the database to get the song titles and artist to show up . Then today I followed a YouTube tutorial on how to get fruitbox to auto launch upon start up . After I did this it reset the database so all artist and titles are “unknown” . I went to try and re edit it and went to try and save and now it says permissions denied . Can anyone help ? Mainly I just need to get the artist and titles to save and show up in fruitbox . Everything else works .
Hi

Editing the database file manually is not ideal because fruitbox could overwrite it and you'll lose your changes. Best option is to edit the mp3 tag data directly in the mp3 files themselves by using appropriate mp3 tag editing software. My favourite is mp3tag for Windows.

If you still wish to edit the database file, you'll need to do it in super user mode since that was the mode fruitbox was operating in when it created it. So...

sudo nano fruitbox.db
will allow you to edit and save it.

Cheers
Mike

BigBoy911

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox need help !!

Wed May 27, 2020 3:20 pm

ToxicTrev wrote:
If the Artist and Song title were showing before, then I would suggest to delete the database file that would be in the same directory as the MP3 files. Then when fruitbox load the next time it will recreate it. May be a simple fix. Otherwise I would suggest looking at the MP3 Tags and making sure they are correct.

ToxicTrev

Wed May 27, 2020 5:15 pm

I had no clue about mp3 tags . I’ll look into it . Thanks

BigBoy911

Wed May 27, 2020 6:46 pm

ToxicTrev wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:15 pm
I had no clue about mp3 tags . I’ll look into it . Thanks
I use a free program just called Mp3Tag - very simple to use.

ToxicTrev

Thu May 28, 2020 1:22 am

another question should I be using the lite version of rasbian or the full version of rasbian for running fruitbox ?

BigBoy911

Thu May 28, 2020 2:21 am

ToxicTrev wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:22 am
another question should I be using the lite version of rasbian or the full version of rasbian for running fruitbox ?
I just used the image file with Fruitbox already on it. It can be found here : https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox

ToxicTrev

Fri May 29, 2020 4:25 am

ok I got it working really well ! thanks ! I have another question. Is there a way to make a custom loading screen / splash screen for the image file with Fruitbox already on it ? how would I go about doing it ?

fruitbox

Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am

ToxicTrev wrote:
ok I got it working really well ! thanks ! I have another question. Is there a way to make a custom loading screen / splash screen for the image file with Fruitbox already on it ? how would I go about doing it ?
Hi

If you're talking about the spinning fruitbox logo, then no, you can't change that (unless you know C++ and are willing to change the source code and rebuild fruitbox).

If you're talking about the Pi boot screen then that may be possible (I don't know), but that's a topic for a different discussion.

Cheers
Mike

BigBoy911

Fri May 29, 2020 1:38 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am
ToxicTrev wrote:
Hi

If you're talking about the spinning fruitbox logo, then no, you can't change that (unless you know C++ and are willing to change the source code and rebuild fruitbox).

If you're talking about the Pi boot screen then that may be possible (I don't know), but that's a topic for a different discussion.

Cheers
Mike
The PI boot screen can be changed and their are a number of tutorials on how to do so if you just google. I personally would advise against it especially for someone new as if their is a problem on loading the information that is displayed is useful to figure out what went wrong.

ToxicTrev

Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 am

Just about finished with my Fruitbox Juke box build. Used a 104- Philco floor radio as the cabinet.

karrika

Sun May 31, 2020 9:17 am

OMG! This is simply an amazing jukebox. Congrats for a very fine finish of the cabinet.

Houndquake

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 am

Is there away to autoboot directly into a certain skin? I downloaded the current image and it boots into the skin chooser and I cant get it to not do that. I just editing bash no luck......

fruitbox

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:24 pm

Houndquake wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 am
Is there away to autoboot directly into a certain skin? I downloaded the current image and it boots into the skin chooser and I cant get it to not do that. I just editing bash no luck......
Yes, run fruitbox with the --cfg command line option and not the --choose-cfg option. See userguide.txt for details.

The fruitbox command is in the /etc/rc.local file, by the way.

Jamieblatant

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi all

Total newbie to pi here infact I got the pi for this very software , I am making my own juke box and this is exactly what I was looking for

I’ve got the pie up and running and I’ve ran fruitbox and got music playing so I got off to a great start but

I’ve now got to re map stuff so I can use an arcade controller with joystick or buttons to do my controll in my test cabinet

How the hell do I get the command line

I have downloaded the image for Sd so I am litrally turning it on and it goes in to fruitbox so I I am totally stuck I’ve scanned over the previous posts with not much luck

Thanks all and thanks mike for some great software I’ll be sure to male a donation soon

Houndquake

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:33 am

Easiest way is to use Putty to connect usernane is pi and password is raspberry. All you need is the IP address it is pulling

fruitbox

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:32 am

Houndquake wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:33 am
Easiest way is to use Putty to connect usernane is pi and password is raspberry. All you need is the IP address it is pulling
Or just press escape to quit fruitbox. That will put you to the login screen, so login as pi, password raspberry. Then type in ...

cd rpi-fruitbox-master
sudo ./fruitbox --config-buttons
Follow the instructions to remap your keys and reboot.

Note that in the next version (v2, yes I know I keep mentioning it but please be patient!), you will be able to configure your buttons from an on screen menu rather than faffing about with command line options.

Cheers
Mike

casimir8740

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:52 pm

First , sorry for my english, i'm french and i use Google traduction:

I have a project to pilot by bluetooth a real jukebox with a raspberry.

To do this I install a BT module in my jukebox which when it is at rest lets the sound of the juke box pass and when connected to a device sends the sound of the device to the speakers of the juke box. It all works.

I installed Raspian on a Raspberry and I put out its BT module output: it works very well

Then I use the Fruitbox program to have a nice interface: I must therefore launch it at startup:
To do this I add in /etc/rc.local the 2 command lines

cd / home / pi / rpi-fruitbox-master /
./fruitbox --cfg skins / Wurly / fruitbox.cfg

This is where my problem begins: the program starts well at startup but too quickly in fact, a few seconds ready.
The program starts before the office has connected to the bluetooth module.

What I would like is to be sure that the bluetooth is connected before launching my program so I think that you should not go through rc.local

I saw that we can modify an autostrart file, but I didn't do the right thing to enter my command lines

Does anyone have a solution?

thank you

fruitbox

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:28 pm

casimir8740 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:52 pm
To do this I add in /etc/rc.local the 2 command lines

cd / home / pi / rpi-fruitbox-master /
./fruitbox --cfg skins / Wurly / fruitbox.cfg

What I would like is to be sure that the bluetooth is connected before launching my program so I think that you should not go through rc.local

Does anyone have a solution?

thank you
Maybe put the two fruitbox lines in a script file along with a sleep command before them, and call that script from /etc/rc.local or ~/.bashrc

Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”