fruitbox

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 pm

MiklExtreme wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:27 pm
Hi there! Interesting project. I have reviewed the functionality, but have not found such functionality as the choice of songs by genre or other category. This makes it difficult to select or search for a particular song. Is there any way to do this?
Hi

Currently there's no such feature but I'm looking into adding a search function which will include search by genre.

Cheers
Mike

MiklExtreme

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:07 am

So! It would be great to have a song search. And at the same time it does not leave hope for the availability of fast filters by genre. Or, tree filters genres -> Artists -> etc.
Thank you for your response and your work! :)

Sully75

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am

Finally got around to finishing the software side of the Touchscreen Jukebox thanks to Mike and a lot of trial and error. Even got a PiFi DAC hat running first go. The sound is so much louder and cleaner. Over time may upgrade to a better DAC but this works fine for now. Over the Xmas break I will get a start on the Cabinet.

I would like to create a hybrid of the Wurly and TouchOne Skin, basically the Wurly with Touchscreen functionality.. So, being relatively Noob to these kind of things I'd like to know where to start basically.

Cheers

Sully.

fruitbox

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Sully75 wrote:
Finally got around to finishing the software side of the Touchscreen Jukebox thanks to Mike and a lot of trial and error. Even got a PiFi DAC hat running first go. The sound is so much louder and cleaner. Over time may upgrade to a better DAC but this works fine for now. Over the Xmas break I will get a start on the Cabinet.

I would like to create a hybrid of the Wurly and TouchOne Skin, basically the Wurly with Touchscreen functionality.. So, being relatively Noob to these kind of things I'd like to know where to start basically.

Cheers

Sully.
Hi Sully,

There's three (or four) things you need to do...

1. Modify your graphics (usually just the foreground bitmap) to add the unpressed buttons.
2. Tell fruitbox which areas of the screen when touched trigger particular button events.
3. Map those buttons to "touch"
4. [optional] Animate the onscreen buttons when pressed.

Step 1. above is all down to you graphic art skills.

Step 2. above is done by editing the skin config file and adding a [touch areas] section, then adding buttons to that section which define the position and size of a rectangle which when pressed generate that particular buttons "pressed" event. The first two numbers correspond to the position of the top left corner of the rectangle, and the next two numbers correspond to the size (width and height) of the rectangle. They are relative to the *skin* size, and not the screen size. See line 130 of fruitbox.cfg for the TouchOne skin. If any button in this section is mapped as touch in the fruitbox.btn file, then it will only trigger that button press if you touch the screen in that rectangle.

Step 3. is done using the --config-buttons option when running fruitbox, and pressing the screen when it asks for a button which you want touch controlled.

Step 4. is not compulsory, but provides a visual effect of the button being pressed. Basically for each touch button you need to create a [status] object in the skins configuration file, which draws a bitmap when the button is pressed. The bitmap can be anything, but for the TouchOne skin I used a copy of the button image on the foreground bitmap, but shifted slightly. See TouchOne skin for the example (for the SKIP button for example, the status is defined on line 106 of fruitbox.cfg and uses the skip_pressed.txt status Contents file).

In addition, if you want to select a song by touching its name rather than using a select code, then you need to define a [touch songs] section in the skins config file. The Bitmap parameter in this section will be the image drawn over the song title when you press it (and the position of the [touch songs] section in the confg file will determine its render order with respect to the other graphics in the skin, so you could have it drawn under the foreground if your song windows are shadowed, semi-transparent or irregularly shaped). fruitbox scales this to size. If you don't have a [touch songs] section then fruitbox will expect a select code to choose a song, but of course you could have the select code buttons (A,B,etc.) mapped as individual touch buttons / areas too!

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Mike

Sully75

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:24 am

fruitbox wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm
Sully75 wrote:

Cheers

Sully.
Hi Sully,

There's three (or four) things you need to do...

1. Modify your graphics (usually just the foreground bitmap) to add the unpressed buttons.
2. Tell fruitbox which areas of the screen when touched trigger particular button events.
3. Map those buttons to "touch"
4. [optional] Animate the onscreen buttons when pressed.

Step 1. above is all down to you graphic art skills.

Step 2. above is done by editing the skin config file and adding a [touch areas] section, then adding buttons to that section which define the position and size of a rectangle which when pressed generate that particular buttons "pressed" event. The first two numbers correspond to the position of the top left corner of the rectangle, and the next two numbers correspond to the size (width and height) of the rectangle. They are relative to the *skin* size, and not the screen size. See line 130 of fruitbox.cfg for the TouchOne skin. If any button in this section is mapped as touch in the fruitbox.btn file, then it will only trigger that button press if you touch the screen in that rectangle.

Step 3. is done using the --config-buttons option when running fruitbox, and pressing the screen when it asks for a button which you want touch controlled.

Step 4. is not compulsory, but provides a visual effect of the button being pressed. Basically for each touch button you need to create a [status] object in the skins configuration file, which draws a bitmap when the button is pressed. The bitmap can be anything, but for the TouchOne skin I used a copy of the button image on the foreground bitmap, but shifted slightly. See TouchOne skin for the example (for the SKIP button for example, the status is defined on line 106 of fruitbox.cfg and uses the skip_pressed.txt status Contents file).

In addition, if you want to select a song by touching its name rather than using a select code, then you need to define a [touch songs] section in the skins config file. The Bitmap parameter in this section will be the image drawn over the song title when you press it (and the position of the [touch songs] section in the confg file will determine its render order with respect to the other graphics in the skin, so you could have it drawn under the foreground if your song windows are shadowed, semi-transparent or irregularly shaped). fruitbox scales this to size. If you don't have a [touch songs] section then fruitbox will expect a select code to choose a song, but of course you could have the select code buttons (A,B,etc.) mapped as individual touch buttons / areas too!

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I started disecting it all last night. I can almost make heads of it.

Another question, has anyone been able to cast to a Chromecast Audio?

Cheers

Jes6906

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Hola ,

Alguien dispone de alguna imagen para raspy pi2 con fruitbox ?

Saludos,

Hi ,

Anyone have any image for raspy pi2 with fruitbox?

Cheers,

virgildu68

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello, I'm Virgil, I'm French ;)

when fruitbox will run on raspberry pi 4.

fruitbox works on 2 screens as below?

Thanks

fruitbox

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:17 pm

virgildu68 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:13 pm
Hello, I'm Virgil, I'm French ;)

when fruitbox will run on raspberry pi 4.

fruitbox works on 2 screens as below?

Thanks
Hi

fruitbox doesn't officially work on the Pi4 yet; changes to the graphics drivers in the hardware and OS means we are playing catch up,..I'm currently waiting for the dev guys responsible for the Allegro library to see if they can help.

Cheers
Mike

virgildu68

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 pm

do you have a deadline? :D :oops:

fruitbox

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:22 am

virgildu68 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 pm
do you have a deadline? :D :oops:
asap....no sorry, I'm dependent on other people (volunteers) so can't put a timeframe on it. As soon as christmas is over I will revisit fruitbox to continue development on it, and see if we can make some progress.

Cheers
Mike

virgildu68

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 pm

OK, thanks

one more question, in the configuration of the buttons the letters stop at K. How to change to have more letters?

Virgil

fruitbox

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:55 pm

virgildu68 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 pm
OK, thanks

one more question, in the configuration of the buttons the letters stop at K. How to change to have more letters?

Virgil
Hi Virgil

You will have to change the source code!

What extra letters do you need? If not urgent I can make the changes for the next release...

Cheers
Mike

virgildu68

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:50 pm

I need to go up to L and 8

But I can do it if you tell me which source code it is

Thanks,
Virgil

And thanks google translation

fruitbox

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm

virgildu68 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:50 pm
I need to go up to L and 8

But I can do it if you tell me which source code it is

Thanks,
Virgil

And thanks google translation
Hi Virgil

The easiest thing to do is search the source code for BUTTON_K and ButtonK (not whole word matches or case sensitive) and add your L button to these code sections.

Button 8 is already supported...

Cheers
Mike

virgildu68

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi,

I modified all the lines that I found by adding BUTTON_L but nothing changes so I will wait for the new version

Virgil

DA313

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:24 pm

Mike,

I've got to tell you this story. My 91 year old grandfather is a walking repository of American country music. He is always asking me if I've heard of a certain performer or another, and he had a vinyl collection that would rival most radio stations.

He fell in love with my version of the jukebox (pics several posts ago, but essentially a 1970ish cabinet phonograph stereo stripped down to the speakers and wired with a RPi3B+, HiFIBerry Amp2, and about 3000 country songs running in the WallSmall skin). He spent some of the holidays with us and liked the jukebox so well that when he got home, he talked it up with some other family members to the point that they are building a jukebox in my style of their very own for him. You, my friend, may have started a revolution in music.

I really can't thank you enough for what you have done for mine and Papa's Christmas memories (it's been the hard year for the family and this was a very bright spot), and I hope to send you a more practical expression of my gratitude soon.

Joe
"From this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety." (Shakespeare, Henry IV)

ptyo

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:47 pm

So I purchased a hiletgo PAM8403 but no instructions came with it. I have email the vendor but not sure if I will ever hear back. Does anybody have any experience with them and hooking up to the Raspberry Pi 3b? I could use some assistance.Here is a picture of the acutal amplifier.
HiLetGO_PAM8403.jpg
HiLetGO_PAM8403.jpg (33.28 KiB) Viewed 719 times
I know the green terminals are the L and R speakers. Not sure what hooks up to the GND, VCC, MUTE, SHON, INL, GND, INR... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ptyo

shhammer5634

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 pm

ptyo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:47 pm
So I purchased a hiletgo PAM8403 but no instructions came with it. I have email the vendor but not sure if I will ever hear back. Does anybody have any experience with them and hooking up to the Raspberry Pi 3b? I could use some assistance.Here is a picture of the acutal amplifier. HiLetGO_PAM8403.jpg
I know the green terminals are the L and R speakers. Not sure what hooks up to the GND, VCC, MUTE, SHON, INL, GND, INR... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ptyo
While I have no experience with this board, gnd would be battery - or negative. Vcc is your input voltage positive. Mute is a way to mute the output without changing volume level. I can't tell you if it's mute when high or mute when low. Inl is input audio left +. Gnd is audio ground or -. Inr is input audio right.

This appears to be an audio amplifier only and not a DAC (digital to analog converter) like most of the pi hats that are being used.

To hook it up to a pi, you would have to wire from the 3.5 mm jack to the inl, gnd, and inr points to get audio from the pi into the amplifier. You would also have to apply some sort of power to vcc and gnd. And also connect a pair of speakers.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 pm

DA313 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:24 pm
Mike,

I've got to tell you this story. My 91 year old grandfather is a walking repository of American country music. He is always asking me if I've heard of a certain performer or another, and he had a vinyl collection that would rival most radio stations.

He fell in love with my version of the jukebox (pics several posts ago, but essentially a 1970ish cabinet phonograph stereo stripped down to the speakers and wired with a RPi3B+, HiFIBerry Amp2, and about 3000 country songs running in the WallSmall skin). He spent some of the holidays with us and liked the jukebox so well that when he got home, he talked it up with some other family members to the point that they are building a jukebox in my style of their very own for him. You, my friend, may have started a revolution in music.

I really can't thank you enough for what you have done for mine and Papa's Christmas memories (it's been the hard year for the family and this was a very bright spot), and I hope to send you a more practical expression of my gratitude soon.

Joe
Well Joe, I'm a bit lost for words...so nice to hear your story. This is what fruitbox should be about, and encourages me to carry on improving it.

All the best
Mike

MrPathetic

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 am

hello all, im just having trouble installing the jukebox on my raspberry pi 3. doing all the codes, get past source ./install.sh and it all installs but then when i go to run it with the skin i choose it does nothing, says there is no directory..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

fruitbox

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:17 pm

MrPathetic wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 am
hello all, im just having trouble installing the jukebox on my raspberry pi 3. doing all the codes, get past source ./install.sh and it all installs but then when i go to run it with the skin i choose it does nothing, says there is no directory..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Can you tell us what the last error message is in fruitbox.log...

ptyo

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:13 pm

While I have no experience with this board, gnd would be battery - or negative. Vcc is your input voltage positive. Mute is a way to mute the output without changing volume level. I can't tell you if it's mute when high or mute when low. Inl is input audio left +. Gnd is audio ground or -. Inr is input audio right.

This appears to be an audio amplifier only and not a DAC (digital to analog converter) like most of the pi hats that are being used.

To hook it up to a pi, you would have to wire from the 3.5 mm jack to the inl, gnd, and inr points to get audio from the pi into the amplifier. You would also have to apply some sort of power to vcc and gnd. And also connect a pair of speakers.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve
Steve thanks for the information. After some more digging I finally came across a pdf that explains the pins. https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/PAM8403.pdf

Mute is Input Control Active Low.
SHDN is Shutdown control input low. ( not real sure why you would use this)

Well guess I'll give it a go. About $9 for 5 of them so as long as I only fry four things will be good. LOL

Thanks,

ptyo

shhammer5634

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:46 pm

ptyo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve
Steve thanks for the information. After some more digging I finally came across a pdf that explains the pins. https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/PAM8403.pdf

Mute is Input Control Active Low.
SHDN is Shutdown control input low. ( not real sure why you would use this)

Well guess I'll give it a go. About $9 for 5 of them so as long as I only fry four things will be good. LOL

Thanks,

ptyo
Here's to hoping you don't release the magic smoke. :lol:

ptyo

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:22 pm

Well hooked up the PAM8403 and didn't smoke anything on my raspberry. So connections must be good.
IMG_1215.jpg
IMG_1215.jpg (30.22 KiB) Viewed 633 times
I do have an unusual sound issue though. Regardless if I use HDMI audio or the 3.5 mm jack. When the Raspberry goes into sleep mode I hear crackling and popping through the speakers. I have already upgrade alsa from 1.1.3 to 1.1.7 but it didn't fix it. Anybody else have that issue and now the fix?

thanks,

ptyo

ptyo

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:46 pm

ptyo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:22 pm
Well hooked up the PAM8403 and didn't smoke anything on my raspberry. So connections must be good.

I do have an unusual sound issue though. Regardless if I use HDMI audio or the 3.5 mm jack. When the Raspberry goes into sleep mode I hear crackling and popping through the speakers. I have already upgrade alsa from 1.1.3 to 1.1.7 but it didn't fix it. Anybody else have that issue and now the fix?

thanks,

ptyo
Hmm.. Well It would appear to be the audio card of the raspberry pi. When i connected my PAM8403 to my laptop the sound is surprisingly good. No crackling or pop-ing noise etc.. So hi see everybody seems to be using the HifiBerry. Does it have a built in sound card? My concern is the small 8ohm 3 watt speakers in this old cabinet. Any particular links to HifiBerry's that people find easy to use?

thanks ,

ptyo

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”