DirkS

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:49 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:17 pm
sasquatch001 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

I was planning to use a pi zero. If I add the justboom amp hat, will I still have access to the GPIO pins to connect buttons?
I expect this is a dumb question, but can somebody confirm with a yes or no? I’m itching to order the amp :) .

Thanks
yes. https://pinout.xyz/pinout/amp_hat
Unused GPIO pins still accessible via unpopulated extension header

fruitbox

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:34 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:17 pm
sasquatch001 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

I was planning to use a pi zero. If I add the justboom amp hat, will I still have access to the GPIO pins to connect buttons?
I expect this is a dumb question, but can somebody confirm with a yes or no? I’m itching to order the amp :) .

Thanks
Hi,

Not sure as I haven't used one, but if you check out the description on the Justboom website it says unused GPIO pins can still be used for your project.

For my jukebox, I used the HifiBerry AMP+. This looks pretty similiar to the Justboom HAT. The HifiBerry AMP only uses the I2S GPIO pins for the audio link and control (same as the Justboom HAT I think) so I had plenty left for my jukebox buttons. The only obvious physical difference I can see from the two is that on the HifiBerry AMP+ the GPIO header it uses extends the pins through its circuit board to give you a proper GPIO header just like the Pi, so you can connect a ribbon cable connector or whatever as normal, as if the HAT wasn't there. For the Justboom HAT it looks like it doesn't do this, so you will probably have to solder your button wires directly to the AMP board where the GPIO connector is...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Mike

sasquatch001

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Thank you both. I have no preference for the justboom, I’ll check out hifiberry to see if they have something suitable for a zero.

fruitbox

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:12 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:41 pm
Thank you both. I have no preference for the justboom, I’ll check out hifiberry to see if they have something suitable for a zero.
The HiFiBerry Amp2 is compatible with the zero (according to their website)..

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-amp2/

Mike

Andrey Threat

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi! Thanks a lot for your fast reaction.
Now I'm getting close having a perfect jukebox in original body ;) Will post a picture when ready.

One more question. Is there any way to trigger one GPIO output pin when it finishes playing a song?
Cabinet has lock buttons, so I would love to keep them that way. And just need to release when it's done playing (I know I wont be able to use queue anymore).

Thanks.

fruitbox

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Andrey Threat wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:50 pm
Hi! Thanks a lot for your fast reaction.
Now I'm getting close having a perfect jukebox in original body ;) Will post a picture when ready.

One more question. Is there any way to trigger one GPIO output pin when it finishes playing a song?
Cabinet has lock buttons, so I would love to keep them that way. And just need to release when it's done playing (I know I wont be able to use queue anymore).

Thanks.
Triggerring GPIO output? Not currently. However, if I get some time over the Christmas holiday I will give it some thought for sure and see what I can do...I don't think it will be a quick code change to do properly but if you want something fast I could hack something together for you...

Mike

Andrey Threat

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

No rush. It will work the way it is for now.
But eventually, I'd love to have it visually as close as possible to original, with locked and lit up buttons :)

I think I will be able to get away with having a trigger on audio output for now. But obviously it's not the most convenient way :D

Thanks for all you efforts!
Andrey.

MichaelH

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:01 am

Hi
hope you can help i had fruitbox running and it was great but after adding more music to the folder and deleting fruitbox.db it now throws a wobbly and comes up with,
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): stoi
Loading database ' ../fruitbox.db' ...Aborted
sorry to bother you with this as it is such a great program
yours hopefully Michael

fruitbox

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm

MichaelH wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:01 am
Hi
hope you can help i had fruitbox running and it was great but after adding more music to the folder and deleting fruitbox.db it now throws a wobbly and comes up with,
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): stoi
Loading database ' ../fruitbox.db' ...Aborted
sorry to bother you with this as it is such a great program
yours hopefully Michael
Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear you've had an issue. First guess is that fruitbox has had a problem reading the either the track number or song length for a song entry from the database file. Would you be able to check the database file and see if any of the songs have suspicious looking song lengths or track numbers? If you can't see anything obvious or would like me to check then would you be able to send me your database file please (if fruitbox created it before the crash, that is), and I will see if I can replicate the problem you are seeing?

Again, sorry for the problem, but thanks for feeding back this issue to me.

Cheers
Mike

MichaelH

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you for the quick reply i will have a look to see the song titles and get back to you. you have made such a great piece of jukebox software

MichaelH

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:24 pm

sorry but the only ones i found made no difference how would i be able to send a copy of the fruitbox.db to you.
Thank you Regards Michael

fruitbox

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:06 pm

MichaelH wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:24 pm
sorry but the only ones i found made no difference how would i be able to send a copy of the fruitbox.db to you.
Thank you Regards Michael
Hi Michael,

Can you check your private message inbox please - I've sent you details on how to get the database file to me.

Thanks,
Mike

MichaelH

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Once again thank you for your time and patients it now works brilliant your program and your self are exceptional
Regards Michael and a Merry Christmas to you and your family

fruitbox

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,

fruitbox version 1.3 is now released.

This fixes an issue MichaelH was seeing; his database file contained a song entry with a massive TrackNumber entry, which caused fruitbox to abort. Now fruitbox can cope with these invalid values (> 2^31 - 1) by issuing a warning, ignoring the song entry and continuing.

Version 1.3 can be fetched from GitHub in the usual place...

https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox

Cheers,
Mike

karrika

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:10 pm

I just spent an hour installing fruitbox on a Pi3 + official 7" screen + AudioInjector. It works like a dream. I love the nostalgic jukebox feeling from the 50's.

Thank you so much for making this.

OklahomaGreyBeard

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:42 am

Holy Nostalgia Batman!! I've been a user of DOSCab since early 2002 with the first release. Since getting into RPi's I've had ideas of a custom jukebox but wanted that old paper tag look/feel. Fruitbox is apparently the answer and it installed and works great.

I have a question on controls. I have two options and the easiest would be to have the selection based on a two digit number. I'll admit I just installed and haven't taken a real look at the skinning yet, but wondered if it would be possible to use a two digit number rather than a letter number combo.

Thanks for this, it's a definite plus to the Pi universe.

fruitbox

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:42 am
Holy Nostalgia Batman!! I've been a user of DOSCab since early 2002 with the first release. Since getting into RPi's I've had ideas of a custom jukebox but wanted that old paper tag look/feel. Fruitbox is apparently the answer and it installed and works great.

I have a question on controls. I have two options and the easiest would be to have the selection based on a two digit number. I'll admit I just installed and haven't taken a real look at the skinning yet, but wondered if it would be possible to use a two digit number rather than a letter number combo.

Thanks for this, it's a definite plus to the Pi universe.
Hi

Either digit of the two digit select code can be a letter or number, so to make the select code a two digit number rather than a letter-number value, just change the SelectKeys value in the config file to something like "0909" (I.e. to give a select code range of 00-99). See the user-guide for more details.

Cheers,
Mike

OklahomaGreyBeard

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm
Hi

Either digit of the two digit select code can be a letter or number, so to make the select code a two digit number rather than a letter-number value, just change the SelectKeys value in the config file to something like "0909" (I.e. to give a select code range of 00-99). See the user-guide for more details.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks. I tried that an got an error, couldn't install keyboard, but deleting the database file and restarting it worked fine.

TimFielder

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Do you have a schematic showing pinouts to the buttons?

fruitbox

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm

TimFielder wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm
Do you have a schematic showing pinouts to the buttons?
Sorry, no I don't have any schematics. For my jukebox, I just connected each button to an unused GPIO pin (one button pin) and GND (the other button pin). I then used the Adafruit "retrogame" utility to map those GPIO pins to generate keyboard codes for the corresponding fruitbox keys.

In my setup for example, I had the left button connected between GPIO 7 and GND, so my retrogame.cfg contains the line (amongst others).

LEFT 7

FYI, in future versions of fruitbox you will be able to assign buttons to GPIO inputs directly in the skin config file without using the retrogame utility.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Mike

bernyone

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi mike

Im having a database issue that im sure is something simple....

So ill try to summarise

Fruitbox working lovely.
New usb stick loaded with 450+ mp3s
Changed music path etc, db created all good so far.....

Up pops fruitbox with only 2 tracks "named"....

The rest are all "unknown track" & "unknown artist".....

Any suggestions?

fruitbox

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:55 am

bernyone wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 pm
Hi mike

Im having a database issue that im sure is something simple....

So ill try to summarise

Fruitbox working lovely.
New usb stick loaded with 450+ mp3s
Changed music path etc, db created all good so far.....

Up pops fruitbox with only 2 tracks "named"....

The rest are all "unknown track" & "unknown artist".....

Any suggestions?
Hi

Looks like your MP3 files have no embedded tag data associated with them. Have you tried importing your songs into an app like mp3tag (windows) or windows media player so that the tag data is updated?

If this doesn't solve your problem then could you send me an mp3 file which is marked as unknown so that I could debug it please? Also could you check your database file too? If the proper song names etc are not there please could you semd me that too?

Cheers
Mike

bernyone

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 am

Hi mike thanks for the reply,
I shall have a go with the tagger when i get home from work today

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this im really looking forward to getting it all set up properly for new years eve

OklahomaGreyBeard

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 am

Any place in particular you want feature requests made? I'd love to be able to have an "attract mode" such as if silent for XX minutes, play a random song that hasn't been played in the last XX songs.

fruitbox

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:25 pm

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 am
Any place in particular you want feature requests made? I'd love to be able to have an "attract mode" such as if silent for XX minutes, play a random song that hasn't been played in the last XX songs.
Hi,

Feature requests can be made here...I'm treating this forum as the discussion point for fruitbox (unless anyone else has a better place?)

For your request for an attract mode, fruitbox already has such a feature ... sort of! In the skin config file there are a couple of parameters called 'AutoPlay' and 'AutoPlayGap' which define the time which fruitbox waits before playing a random song (see the user guide). It doesn't however check that the song has been recently played before though, so maybe I need to add that.

Cheers,
Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”