fastfrank

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 am
There are several ways to use the wallbox buttons.
1. use Raspi‘s GPIOs as input pins
2. use an old USB Keyboard and its built in controller (there are several instructions in youtube)
3. use an Arduino Leonardo or Teensy as button-USB converter

In my Wurlitzer project I use the original keyboard buttons with a Teensy 3.2.
I added some additional buttons which will use the Teensy and GPIO.

First thing you wanna do: get a multimeter and find out how your keyboards work.
So, if you count one wire more than buttons of a keyboard, most likely there is one common wire and this common wire connects with the very button which you press.
Identify that common wire (using the ohm measuring) and mark the other ones which get connected to common when pressing a button with its number.

Modern keyboards are wired in arrays (matrices) to reduce the number of wires.

But first tell us what kind of keyboard you have and then we can assist you with the next steps.
Raimund
Thanks for the quick response
I would like to use the the original buttons that came with the wallbox

7B3D4C16-C4FD-4731-935E-7FAEC4A7097B.jpeg
7B3D4C16-C4FD-4731-935E-7FAEC4A7097B.jpeg (39.11 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
This the model I am working on Rockola TriVue ( tried to add my own images but they are all too large in file size)
The buttons are mechanical (spring loaded) .They are wired to a pcb board with one central ground on a sliding mechanism that slides back and forth when a button is pressed.The button itself slides forward to make contact on the pcb board and close the connection. The wiring harness is very convoluted and hard and to follow but it does end at several old connectors.
This unit I believe was made in the seventies so it is a little dated .
I would like to keep the original retro look of the box as much as possible but I think I might have to look at a modifying a USB keyboard.
I recently saw a video on YouTube ( I believe it was posted by Mike the author of fruitbox) where he showed his setup and the buttons he used. I am sure this would work but I can’t seem to find anymore information about the parts he used and how to set it up.
Again thanks for the quick response much appreciated

rpt007

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi,

I found a bit of information here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59723.0
The author used a PS/2 controller to connect the keyboard to the PC.

A button press starts a series of pulses like an old telephone, but this cannot be understood by fruitbox. Would be better to get direct access to the buttons and wire them one by one to GPIOs and a common wire to ground. Do you (or a friend) have access to an oscilloscope to monitor the pulses when a button is pressed?

Would also be good if you could find some more details about the boxes - a technical manual could help ... If not available a precise picture of the wiring around the buttons would be also helpful.

If you could identify the common wire, this is the beginning. Then press a button and see what wire is connected to common, mark it. Press the next one, identify the wire which is connected to common, mark it etc.

Cheers
Raimund

rpt007

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am

update:

Have a look at http://www.wallbox2mp3.com/soft/wallbox ... la_507.pdf

This is a schematic of the Rock-ola Wallbox 507 and includes the wiring of the pulse generator inside the selection wheel.
I suspect that it might be a bit tricky to read those pulse information precisely into the Raspberry (maybe with the help of another microcontroller or directly).

You wanna also have a look at this:
http://www.wallbox2mp3.com/soft/user_ma ... mp3_en.pdf
This manual refers to a special hard-/software kit which reads those pulses from the pressed key(s) and translates it into an action to play a song (but the whole package is limited to a maximum of 160 songs - no comparison with the almost unlimited potential of fruitbox).

But it shows where to get the signal line and hook up a converter. But as said in my previous post: it would be much easier to have a direct access to each individual button.

If the mechanic and local space allows and - if those buttons just work "mechanically" - you could mount a small pcb with micro switches behind those buttons which then close those switches when you push them. Ok, - I am just guessing while I have no exact clue about the mechanics and electrics in your wallbox. But hope you get an idea what I mean and what you could do.

Cheers
Raimund

kramg

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm
Hi

fruitbox v1.14 is now released!

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

In trying to debug some sound issues I noticed that v1.14 allows keystrokes to "bleed through" to stdout. When I exit using "esc" the keycodes for the selection and page commands I have entered during the session appear on the command line. Not sure if this also happens when using gpio pins as I haven't sourced my buttons yet. I've confirmed that this doesn't happen with v1.12

Cheers,

- gustav

fastfrank

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:38 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am
update:

Have a look at http://www.wallbox2mp3.com/soft/wallbox ... la_507.pdf

This is a schematic of the Rock-ola Wallbox 507 and includes the wiring of the pulse generator inside the selection wheel.
I suspect that it might be a bit tricky to read those pulse information precisely into the Raspberry (maybe with the help of another microcontroller or directly).

You wanna also have a look at this:
http://www.wallbox2mp3.com/soft/user_ma ... mp3_en.pdf
This manual refers to a special hard-/software kit which reads those pulses from the pressed key(s) and translates it into an action to play a song (but the whole package is limited to a maximum of 160 songs - no comparison with the almost unlimited potential of fruitbox).

But it shows where to get the signal line and hook up a converter. But as said in my previous post: it would be much easier to have a direct access to each individual button.

If the mechanic and local space allows and - if those buttons just work "mechanically" - you could mount a small pcb with micro switches behind those buttons which then close those switches when you push them. Ok, - I am just guessing while I have no exact clue about the mechanics and electrics in your wallbox. But hope you get an idea what I mean and what you could do.

Cheers
Raimund
Thanks again for the quick response. I am going to try and use the mechanical portion of the switches / buttons and skip the whole wiring harness. I will figure out a teensy board for the inputs.
Documentation is vague relating to the walboxes themselves and hard to get a hold of.
It’s funny you mention wallbox 2mp3 . I actually bought 2 of these sometime ago I did manage to get them working but was not happy with the audio output so I scrapped them. They are sitting in a box somewhere.
I appreciate all the help.
This is a work in progress so I will keep you posted on the final solution.
Looking forward to building a full size retro looking jukebox and this is my starting point.
Again thank you for the help

dojo1787

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Mike,

Is there any support for multiple unique title strip designs, set on a per-strip basis from a database or genre variable?

The jukeboxes I've seen invariably have a scattered assortment of title strip designs. Sometimes these differences are arbitrary, but other times it's specific to the type of song.. For example, holiday songs will show up on title strips with little Christmas trees on them.

My understanding is that the title strip design was also influenced by the song's genre. See the thread or more information on what I'm referring to:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... rs.260378/

If there's no support currently, is it something you'd consider implementing?

Thanks for this great software.

Dojo

rpt007

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 pm

If you need help with teensy, I can share my experience with it and how I set up my teensy to keep the original keypad of my Wurlitzer jukebox. Just let me know, when you have prepared the micro switch pcb.
Raimund

kramg

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Using [status] Output parameter

I'm looking to make use of the [status] Output parameter. I see that some folks have already done so, I think I saw mention of a scrolling LED display and a thermal printer, there may have been others. Any chance one of you could share the code or relevant snippet of code used to read and act on the resulting text file? I'm particularly interested in using C++, python or bash.

Many thanks,

- gustav

kramg

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi Mike,

I have a feature request. I've been trying to avoid it, but... ;)

Would it be possible to add a parameter to designate the sound device used for the sounds defined in the [sounds] section of fruitbox.cfg?

This would allow users to send the music to one device, say an amplified sound card with good speakers, and mechanical related sound effects like the coin drop or page move to another, say a cheap speaker inside the jukebox cabinet using the pi's built-in audio out. I suspect this could be done using the [status] output feature and an external player, but, I believe this would be a better approach. FWIW, mpg123, which I believe you've used as the player in fruitbox, has that capability using the -a switch.

Cheers,

- gustav

fruitbox

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi gustav

I'll certainly look into it (the sound output), and also I'll try and sort out the stdout bleed -through you reported.

I am using libmpg123, which is a C library, not actually mpg123, but mpg123 also uses the same library so maybe I can find out what it's -a option is actually doing code-wise (although I suspect it's not using anything from the libmpg123 library directly).

Cheers
Mike

kramg

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:40 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking into this. I suspect you're right that it's not using anything from the libmpg123 library directly. Not really knowing what to look for I stumbled around the source files for mpg123 and it seems any refrences to ALSA are in the libout123 modules. Unfortunately I don't know enough about C++ to be of any real help.

Speaking of C++...

Even though I'm barely past the "Hello World" phase in learning C++ I am attempting to build fruitbox using your instructions in build.txt.

When I get to cmake .. -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../cmake/Toolchain-raspberrypi.cmake -DSHARED=off in the install and build allegro section I get a number of warnings:

WARNING: libwebp not found, disabling support
WARNING: libFLAC not found or compile test failed, disabling support.
WARNING: libdumb >= 2.0 or <= 0.9.3 not found or compile test failed, disabling support.
WARNING: libopus not found or compile test failed, disabling support.

Are these expected or should I be tracking them down?

Backing up a bit, I recall that when I installed the allegro dependencies my system gave a number of messages that some packages were being substituted. They went by so fast that I couldn't keep track and since nothing seemed to be left out I didn't worry about it too much. I'll try to go back and document them and, if I can figure it out, send you the updated build.txt through github.

Cheers,

- gustav

fruitbox

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:25 am

kramg wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:40 am

When I get to cmake .. -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../cmake/Toolchain-raspberrypi.cmake -DSHARED=off in the install and build allegro section I get a number of warnings:

WARNING: libwebp not found, disabling support
WARNING: libFLAC not found or compile test failed, disabling support.
WARNING: libdumb >= 2.0 or <= 0.9.3 not found or compile test failed, disabling support.
WARNING: libopus not found or compile test failed, disabling support.

Are these expected or should I be tracking them down?
Hi Gustav

You can ignore those warnings... when you build Allegro it had lots of different capabilities... if you don't have all the dependencies then not all the capabilities are enabled, but this isn't a problem as they are not required by fruitbox.

Cheers
Mike

vasigias

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:36 pm

That is mine jukebox thanks a lot for the program chundermike!ImageImage

rpt007

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi @vasigias,

congratulation, great work!
Did you build the jukebox case yourself or is that an old enclosure which you could use?
And: what size does your LCD screen (touch or non-touch) have?

I am considering to build a new jukebox from scratch for my son, so I am currently collecting some ideas for simple, but good looking enclosures.

Raimund

vasigias

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi rpt007 thanks I glad you likey jukebox
I build the jukebox case from the start l use wood and plexiglass the LCD is 19 inch and is not touch screen the size of jukebox is 40x40x75 I have add rgb led streep with Sound condroler and run the program with raspberry pi 3

ScotM

My Fruitbox

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Just thought I would share what I did with Fruitbox. Picked up the AMI wallbox for $10. I felt a little guilty lol. Retrofitted with a monitor and pi them polished it up. Had to rewire the original buttons from NC contacts to NO contacts. Works like a charm. Lots of little quirks to get it to work along the way. A youtube video from start to finish would be great.
Attachments
AMI Wallbox 2.jpg
AMI Wallbox 2.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

ScotM

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Picked this Bad Boy up for a whopping FREE. Didnt feel guilty about this one. Was sitting out in the rain. The touch screen monitor works but have no idea how to configure it with the Pi. Tried to pile through the post in here but I was lost. I will add in a bank of buttons where the bill acceptor was and will be good to go. I installed a 5volt sound activated color changing led strip inside the perimiter and hacked a computer power supply to power everything in it. I found a tutorial on adding an on off button to the pi and it works great with fruitbox to power down and power up. Image
Attachments
Touchtunes 1.png
Touchtunes 1.png (78.3 KiB) Viewed 2060 times

ScotM

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukeboxI can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:38 pm

fastfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 am
I can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work
I am having issue with USB keyboard
Not working within fruitbox
Key board works fine in GUI
Standard config within fruitbox have not edited button cfg
Start fruitbox via ssh terminal boots up fine GUI loads keyboard does not respond at all.
Saw similar post from earlier this year with same issue can’t seem to find if it was resolved.
Setup is as follows
Pi3 b +
Raspian stretch
Pifi dac using hifiberry dac + plus as default audio

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
*** You need to use the lite version of rasbian for fruitbox to work with a usb keyboard. If you use the full version as soon as you launch fruitbox the usb keyboard will appear to no longer function. Keyboard is actually is still working in the background but you can not see it because fruitbox is ontop. Took me a long time to figure that out. If you use a program like Filezilla to ftp into your Pi from another computer it is much easier to navigate the pi and upload and change configurations as well if you do not have the GUI from the full version. Just my 2 cents.

rpt007

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm

@ScotM

Your fruitbox editions look great - good job!
Just for interest: what screen did you use for the wallbox - seems to be portrait oriented?
Did you have to rotate fruitbox screen output or how did you manage that?

Raimund

angelo269

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm not expert in Raspberry. Is it possible to install fruitbox on Raspberry that automatically starts?
I hope you understand me.
Thanks a lot

kramg

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 am

Hi Angelo and welcome,

Two things need to happen to have fruitbox start up automatically: You need to configure the raspberry pi to sign in the pi user on start up and you need to configure fruitbox to run when the user pi signs in.

The first one is done by running the raspberry pi configuration utility

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
Under the 3rd menu item "Boot Options" there should be the option to start in terminal mode (CLI) and sign in the pi user.

The second is done by creating or editing the .bashrc file as detailed in section 12 of the fruitbox user guide:
12: Hints and Tips

Automatically run fruitbox on power up
--------------------------------------

To run fruitbox automatically on power up, add the following
lines to ~/.bashrc :

cd <directory where fruitbox is installed>
sudo ./fruitbox --cfg <your cfg file>
Hope this helps.

- gustav

ScotM

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm
@ScotM

Your fruitbox editions look great - good job!
Just for interest: what screen did you use for the wallbox - seems to be portrait oriented?
Did you have to rotate fruitbox screen output or how did you manage that?

Raimund
HI Raimund, Thank you. It took a long time to get all the pieces and programming but it works great. Loaded it up with holiday music and it was a big hit. The screen is a 1920x1200 rotated and mounted inside the box. You can change the monitor layout by doing the following in the pi

To change screen size parameter or to rotate the screen type the following
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Then add the following to the bottom of the page to rotate your monitor 90 degrees
display_rotate=1
adding a # in front of it will disable it if you want it to go back to normal or delete the line all together.
#display_rotate=1
It wont take effect until you save your changes and reboot.
To save your changes do the following
Press (Ctrl then O then Enter)
To exit press (Ctrl then X)
You will need to reboot your Pi for the changes to take effect.
Good luck.
Scot

rpt007

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Scot,

thanks for the quick answer.
One more question:
What kind of monitor (type, brand) will fit into that wallbox?

I am close to get one myself and would like to benefit from your experience, if you allow.

Raimund

ScotM

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Wearson 8.9" Inch High Resolution 1920x1200 IPS LCD Display Screen Panel With HDMI & VGA Driver Board Controller Set For Raspberry Pi B+/2B/3B
I bought it on amazon. I probably could have found something a little better suited but got tired of looking at all the specs and picked this one because I could get it to work.
I used some aluminum angle iron fastened it to the top and bottom of the wallbox page turn frame and then used double sided foam tape to adhere the monitor to that.
Attachments
angled bracket mounting.jpg
angled bracket mounting.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 1741 times

ScotM

Fruitbox Random playback of songs?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Hey Mike
So I have been using this long enough to notice that the random access of songs is limited so an area of songs both forward and back from wherever it started. I have a large library but found the randomness of song playback is limited. Example. I have most of the beatles songs and if I have it on random it will play random beatle songs for quite awhile unitl it works it way out of their library onto other random songs. Is there anyway to make it a longer random selection to be more broad of a selection.
Thanks
Scot

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”