rpt007

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am

Hi Mike,

scrolling text including (maybe configurable) status objects would be nice - but not absolutely essential.
Fruitbox is already scraping the sky with all of its features already built-in.

One technical question:
As stated in a previous post I want to use my Wurltzer's 7segment LED display for something useful such as displaying the number of remaining songs in the play queue. To process the conversion from status text to the LED display I want to use the Teensy. The text shall be stored in an array before the conversion routine can take over. Do I need an "end of text character" to check that end of text is reached or does the object "$COMING_UP_NUM_SONGS" come with a fixed length which I could count? Couldn't find any technical details in the userguide about the objects.

BTW: Thanks for the tip with the xcf-file in Wurly. That helped me to alter the skin in the way I wanted it.
I saw that not all skins come with those handy xcf's - maybe another addition for a future relase? - Also a wish for all skin creators who are working an fruitbox skins, to include raw files with the skin objects, at least for foreground and background.

Cheers
Raimund

Mayki

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:38 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pm
@Mike: Thinking of future enhancements -
Is there a way already today to display current playing title together with the artist, scrolling from right to left after x seconds ?
Or: is it a feature which requires a lot of programming for you to get it into a next version - if you plan any?

Raimund
Like this? (Click the image)

rpt007

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:02 pm

@Mayki:

looks very good. But you are using potentially a separate microcontroller for displaying the running information, isn't it?

Good idea, but for my project I wanna stay with the original outfit of my Wurlitzer as close as possible. Whenever the Wurlitzer project is finished (still a lot of mechanical and electrical work to do) I might build another Jukebox, more or less from scratch making use of an idle LCD screen, for my son's party room.

Raimund

Mayki

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 pm

I use one RaspberryPi, HDMI output to the main monitor, the GPIO is connected to the LED Matrix panel that displays the information.

rpt007

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:23 am

Interesting, Mayki,

Could you explain a bit more, how you send the text via GPIO and what kind of led matrix you use?
Cheers
Raimund

Mayki

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:19 pm

I use 3 panels.
My skin fruitbox.cfg contains:

Code: Select all

[status]
Contents = status4.txt
Output = led.txt
status4.txt contains:

Code: Select all

$IF_SONG_PLAYINGPRÁVĚ HRAJE : $NOW_PLAYING_ARTIST - $NOW_PLAYING_TITLE$END_IF$IF_NOT_SONG_PLAYING$IF_NO_CREDITS** VHOĎ MINCE ** A $END_IF$IF_NOT_SONG_PLAYING** VYBER PÍSEŇ **$END_IF
Bash script read every two seconds content led.txt.
Software to control LED panels is here.

Perhaps it is understandable with my poor English. :D

fruitbox

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Mayki wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:38 pm
rpt007 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pm
@Mike: Thinking of future enhancements -
Is there a way already today to display current playing title together with the artist, scrolling from right to left after x seconds ?
Or: is it a feature which requires a lot of programming for you to get it into a next version - if you plan any?

Raimund
Like this? (Click the image)

Hi Mayki,

That's a brilliant design. And the scrolling banner is superb.

One thing I noticed from the video; when the record loads there is a pause in the animation between the loading arm moving into position and the record spinning. This is because the SongLoadTime value in the skin config file is too big, and the video clip ends before the song load time expires (the animation is comprised of two different elements: a video for the loading and a status bitmap list for the record spin). If you reduce the value of SongLoadTime a little then you can remove this pause in the animation. As the value of the SongLoadTime is expressed in video frame ticks, I suspect you have a lower video frame rate than I had when developing the skin (you probably have 50Hz whereas I had 60Hz).

Cheers,
Mike

Mayki

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Thank you for your comment, I'll look at it.

rpt007

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am

Martin. excellent job!

Would you mind to add your design to the skins of fruitbox officially - maybe Mike can add the skin to the existing ones or in a separate folder of GitHub fruitbox section?

Whenever my Wurlitzer is finished I will try to learn a bit more about LED matrices.

BTW: your English is very good and understandable - at least for a non-native speaker like me ;-)

Raimund

MobileMac

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi everyone
I am very new to the raspberry pi and indeed Linux. I have tried to make a juke box using fruit box.
I have got everything working. except I can't work out why the fruitbox.db file is missing some of my songs.
Is there a max number of songs that can be loaded?
My songs are formated the same way e.g ... Madonna - Lucky Star.mp3
Artist, space -, space, Filename.mp3
I have kept my list even for e.g 2 4 6 8 of each Artist so as to get no black spaces on the fruitbox display.
But no matter how many time I create a new Fruitbox.db file it will still only load 286 files.
It is completely random how it dose it.. some times it will load 6 Meatloaf songs.. the next time I create a fruitbox.db file it will only load in 5 Meatloaf songs.
I am using Ubunta and Sublime to edit my files.
Can I just add the missing files to the fruitbox.db file manually. ? if so how? do I have to point the string I type in the fruitbox.db file to a mp3 file? If so How?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.. any help would be great

mallettron

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Just changed out my Raspberry Pi 3 for an 3 A+ in my little jukebox

Apart from having to do the sudo update/upgrade and setting the password option the card just went into the other board

I think the problem I had with it stopping and stuttering has now gone (famous last words) as its been on continuous for 5 hours with no problem

Must have been a heating problem, plenty of space in the official 7" lcd case, the A+ and the adafruit bonnet now

rpt007

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:13 am

@MobileMac:

Did you make sure that your mp3 files are properly tagged?
Do you have another audio player on your PC and does the player recognize all of those suspicious/missing mp3's?

Mayki

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:01 am

@MobileMac:

My fruitbox.db contains 1277 songs. This is certainly not a problem with the number of songs. Make sure all mp3s are in good ID3 tags.

fruitbox

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:32 am

MobileMac wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 pm
Hi everyone
I am very new to the raspberry pi and indeed Linux. I have tried to make a juke box using fruit box.
I have got everything working. except I can't work out why the fruitbox.db file is missing some of my songs.
Is there a max number of songs that can be loaded?
My songs are formated the same way e.g ... Madonna - Lucky Star.mp3
Artist, space -, space, Filename.mp3
I have kept my list even for e.g 2 4 6 8 of each Artist so as to get no black spaces on the fruitbox display.
But no matter how many time I create a new Fruitbox.db file it will still only load 286 files.
It is completely random how it dose it.. some times it will load 6 Meatloaf songs.. the next time I create a fruitbox.db file it will only load in 5 Meatloaf songs.
I am using Ubunta and Sublime to edit my files.
Can I just add the missing files to the fruitbox.db file manually. ? if so how? do I have to point the string I type in the fruitbox.db file to a mp3 file? If so How?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.. any help would be great
Hi,

Not sure why all your songs aren't being picked up reliably. A few things to note which may help...

1. Filename structure is not important. fruitbox doesn't get any information from the file names (except for ogv video files). The artist and song title are found from the embedded ID3 tag data. As mentioned by others, make sure your tag data is good. I use mp3tag (free software for Windows) to check and edit tag data, but there are lots of others available.

2. Have you chcked what is actually contained in your database? You can edit / view it by typing sudo nano fruitbox.db from the command line. Check how many songs are actually there and what the information for each one is. And yes, you can edit any of the song tag values from a normal editor, and also add as many new entries (see existing entries for the format). If all the songs are there with the correct fields and fruitbox displays different songs each time then something very odd is happening - perhaps a hardware / memory card problem?

3. I have taken into account different CRLF combinations when parsing files with fruitbox but it may be worth changing the settings on your editor if you do edit any fruitbox related files. Windows /OSX / Linux all tend to use different combinations of CR and LF in text files :(

4. Are your songs in the same place in your file system? The skin configuration parameter MusicPath specifies the location as you know, but also scans sub-directories upto 16 levels deep. Also you can specify as many MusicPath values in the skin file as you like, if your music is in different places.

5. If you don't want any blank spaces in the song pages on the display, you can always modify the PairSongs parameter in the skin file to Dual. This will force fruitbox to pair songs together even if they are not the same artist. To correctly display both artist names in a song pair, you then need to specify the ArtistDescription parameter multiple times to include both Artist and PairedArtist. See the Wurly skin for an example.

Hope some of that above helps; please let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Mike

rpt007

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Mike,

your answer triggers me for a clarification about the music database.
You mentioned, one can configure multiple paths to music locations within a system.

For newbies (like I was to fruitbox some days ago) you could add an example in the user guide, like:
MusicPath = ../Music/
MusicPath = ../music2/
MusicPath = /media/usb-drive (given that the physical USB Drive was previously assigned to that mount point)

I will check if I could also mount a specific music directory of my NAS. Will report, if that works or fails.

May I suggest a new feature for your next release:

If technically feasible it would be nice if the app could check with each start, if the music database needs an update (e.g. checking the creation date with the latest creation date of the physical location of the music, specified by "MusicPath = ...").

So if the music folder was modified by the user (adding, deleting, modifying songs etc.) the existing music database of fruitbox would be deleted (Asking the user for permission, as for bigger music collections this might be annoying, having altered just one tag, whereas the database must be built from scratch).

My project made some progress. Will post some pictures tomorrow. Still some cabling, testing and technical development left - especially the power on/off thing will need some thinking and testing. It's not just the PI to safely shut down and powered on but also the whole jukebox with its amp and lights.

Cheers
Raimund

MobileMac

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi Mike
Thanks for your input..
I believe I have fixed the display Issue. All my files are now being display.
I edited the fruitbox.db file manually.
I think this is the cause of my next issue.. fruit box Crashes (freezes) randomly.. when I leave it to play random tunes that is to say I give it no input.
It will play for sometimes hours and them freeze and then I reset and it plays again for say 10 mins then reset and play again for hours.
First i thought my be the pi was over heating. But no its cold to the touch. I have good heat sinks on it so doesn't get very warm at all.
Next I checked all my mp3 files to see if they play on my computer and yes they do the also play on my iphone.
So now I am a little confused...
I install fruitbox following the instructions on github.
But reading this forum I see fruitbox v1.5 is out.. my splash screen says v1.2.1 in the bottom corner. https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox
Not sure if this is my issue?
As I said I am very new to both Linux and the raspberry pi. I bought a old i5 dell computer and install Ubuntu on it so I can easily edit and view the file on my raspberry pi.
This is a sample of my fruitbox.db file
The Drifters - Like Sister And Brother.mp3|Like Sister And Brother|The Drifters|Living in the 70s vol 11|The Drifters||16|205|Music Club|||Oldies
Drifters - Under the Boardwalk.mp3|Under The Boardwalk|The Drifters||||0|161||||Unknown
Do all the fields need to be filed in?
The first line is one created by fruitbox
The second line is one I edited myself.
Both lines work fine that is to say they both play to the end of the songs.
So question? Do all fields need to be filled? will it crash if one of the | is missing in the field and it tries to play that line?
One more thing I am using WallJuke skin. But as of yet it as not crashed if I use the Wurly skin.. But i would like to keep using the walljuke skin as I like the sound affects in that skin.

Thanks For your Time
Dave
Btw dose anyone know where I can buy Buttons. With Letter and Number on them?

rpt007

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi all,

here some pictures of my almost refurbished/re-engineered/re-fruitboxed Wurly.
I installed a power distributor to quickly plug in the power supplies (12V for the LCD screen, 5V for Raspi, Teensy and a Wemos mini). Then I installed for long term solution a switching dual-power unit (5V/6A, 12V/2A). Proper cabling takes time, so I am not yet finished with supplying the devices from that unit. When done, the power adapters will quit their job.

Teensy has taken over to handle the numeric keypad and will also convert the button press of the LED lit buttons left and right from the screen. I decided to go with SmallWall as this fits perfectly and is readable from a distance. The original 4digit 7segment display under the screen is replaced by a new TM1637-based display mounted on a 3D-printed bracket (was a bit fiddling ...).

The display is now used as a real time clock and gets its time via NTP wirelessly (WEMOS_ESP8266).
Fruitbox is automatically running when booted up.

Remaining to do's:
- cleaning up cable management
- deciding what functions should be assigned to the lit buttons (one will have be "power on/off")
- find a proper and "house wife safe" solution to power on and off with one button the whole unit (lights are on 230V!, so a relay comes into the game)
- replace the USB thumb drive by pursuading fruit box to get the music from my NAS server

One question to the audience:
I want to use a mini wireless keyboard with touchpad (see one of my pictures some posts up). Unfortunately not all keys/functions are recognized (yet) - problem is to find the right or at least suitable model in the raspi-config menu. Have not yet spent too much time, maybe someone can point me in the right direction how to get that fixed.

Keyboard is labelled: DooToper.

Cheers,
Raimund
Last edited by rpt007 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpt007

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 pm

@MobileMac:

Maybe the Raspi isn't freezing, but overheating running for hours as you said.
Did you check temperature after having running the app for hours?

My Raspi 3B gets pretty hot - I have to care about that as I see the temperature sign coming up on the screen.
Will see, what I can do as the Raspi board is covered by the plug-in HiFiBerry DAC.
Maybe I will mount the AudioCard separately and use a fan for the Raspi. Or: switch to a Raspi 2.

So make sure that the main chips are cooled down enough when running for long times.

Cheers,
Raimund

MobileMac

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 pm

My Raspi 3B gets pretty hot - I have to care about that as I see the temperature sign coming up on the screen.
Will see, what I can do as the Raspi board is covered by the plug-in HiFiBerry DAC.
Maybe I will mount the AudioCard separately and use a fan for the Raspi. Or: switch to a Raspi 2.

So make sure that the main chips are cooled down enough when running for long times.
I am not using a hat.. I us the pi 3.mm audio output jack I have built a tube amp for the audio for the speakers
My pi is not covered... and as good heat sinks on it. It dose not even get warm.. I don't think over heating is the issue
But thanks for your input

MobileMac

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 pm

I am not using a hat.. I us the pi 3.mm audio output jack I have built a tube amp for the audio for the speakers
My pi is not covered... and as good heat sinks on it. It dose not even get warm.. I don't think over heating is the issue
But thanks for your input

rpt007

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm

@MobileMac,

do you start fruitbox from desktop or directly from command line?
Strange enough that one skin seems to work and another crashes over time.

Maybe Mike has an idea how to solve that issue.

@Mike:

I want to use different music databases which contain only specific genres. So XMas-Time I want to include XMas songs, whereas XMas songs shouldn't appear during the rest of the year. to make things easy I want to comment those temporarily unwanted genres out in the fruitbox.cfg lines with the different paths to music sources.

I didn't check it as I am currently busy with cleaning up some remaining issues with my Wurlitzer project, mightbe you could already indicate if (and if=yes, how) it is possible to have commented lines in the .cfg file.

If not possible, then I will delete the unwanted lines and add them later when re-creating the music database for specific events.
It would be nice if fruitbox could always have a look into the current .cfg file and then decide if the database needs an update, going along with checking timestamps of database creation and the latest timestamp of a music location to be included (hope, my explanation is clear enough to be understood?).

Cheers,
Raimund

shift74

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 am

I'm trying to use the joystick to move around in the menu, but it does not do anything, while using the keyboard everything works perfectly. Are there any steps to use the joystick? Thank you

fruitbox

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:05 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm
@MobileMac,

do you start fruitbox from desktop or directly from command line?
Strange enough that one skin seems to work and another crashes over time.

Maybe Mike has an idea how to solve that issue.

@Mike:

I want to use different music databases which contain only specific genres. So XMas-Time I want to include XMas songs, whereas XMas songs shouldn't appear during the rest of the year. to make things easy I want to comment those temporarily unwanted genres out in the fruitbox.cfg lines with the different paths to music sources.

I didn't check it as I am currently busy with cleaning up some remaining issues with my Wurlitzer project, mightbe you could already indicate if (and if=yes, how) it is possible to have commented lines in the .cfg file.

If not possible, then I will delete the unwanted lines and add them later when re-creating the music database for specific events.
It would be nice if fruitbox could always have a look into the current .cfg file and then decide if the database needs an update, going along with checking timestamps of database creation and the latest timestamp of a music location to be included (hope, my explanation is clear enough to be understood?).

Cheers,
Raimund
You can use the hash symbol (#) to comment out lines in the skin cfg file.

But why not have a separate cfg file for Xmas and non-xmas skins? They can be in the same place but with different names (you can name them anything you like). Also have you discovered the skin chooser mode? This allows you to choose from any skin at start-up so you could use it to choose between your Xmas and non Xmas cfg files. Also you can have unique screenshots associated with each or any graphic image. Alternatively you could have two separate databases and either modify a single line of the skin file (Database) or use the --database command line option.
Last edited by fruitbox on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitbox

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 pm

shift74 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 am
I'm trying to use the joystick to move around in the menu, but it does not do anything, while using the keyboard everything works perfectly. Are there any steps to use the joystick? Thank you
All controls default to the keyboard. To setup the joystick, run fruitbox with the --config-buttons command line option and move the joystick when prompted for the direction buttons. Press ESCAPE for any key you wish to leave as the default keyboard mapping.

rpt007

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am

You can use the hash symbol (#) to comment out lines in the skin cfg file.

But why not have a separate cfg file for Xmas and non-xmas skins? They can be in the same place but with different names (you can name them anything you like).
Hi Mike,

thanks for your advice. That worked well. Only "issue" - I have to modify the start up procedure manually. Will have a deeper look at the skin-selection option later on.

One big issue for me is currently to have fruitbox supporting my wireless multimedia keyboard. I identified the keycodes via evtest, but fruitbox doesn't recognize keycodes with 3-digits. I am using a Rii x8 https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Key ... B07D2BG6R5 which works fine operating with "normal" keys. But I wanted to use the special keys like mute, vol+, vol- buttons.
I modified the .btn file with the keycodes as identified by evtest, but - no way - fruitbox just ignores these buttons as if they didn't exist.

Maybe someone else has found out, how to mount such a multimedia keyboard - the keyboard model isn't listed in the raspbian configuration of keyboards, so I just selected a standard 102 key board.

Next steps in my project:
- autostart of fruitbox (but in a way that I still have access to the raspi via SSH)
- safe shut down / start up
- automatically access / mount music from my NAS server (command line tests were successful)

Cheers,
Raimund

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”