Mayki

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you for your help. And if I only need to delete the content of the led.txt file? Not the whole file.

shhammer5634

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Mayki wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 pm
Thank you for your help. And if I only need to delete the content of the led.txt file? Not the whole file.
Instead of the rm -f you can try

Code: Select all

>led.txt
That should erase the contents.

Alternatively, you can remove and recreate the file

Code: Select all

rm -f [path to led.txt]/led.txt
touch [path to led.txt]/led.txt
Steve

Mayki

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks... :D :D :D
It works perfectly ...

shhammer5634

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:35 am

Mayki wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 am
Thanks... :D :D :D
It works perfectly ...
Excellent. Glad to be of service. Enjoy your fruitbox!

Steve

LayneWS

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello Mike great videos! I have a few questions if you do not mind?

I have really struggled to find a good quality mp3 jukebox software interface for RP3B, I'm hoping to make a touchscreen with a thumb drive full of music plugged in that will connect via blue tooth to my sound system.

What I would really like is something like you would find in the pub!

Does your software support playlists?
Touchscreen?
Is your software available to D/L?

Thanks for your time and efforts on this project!

fruitbox

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:55 am

LayneWS wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 pm
Hello Mike great videos! I have a few questions if you do not mind?

I have really struggled to find a good quality mp3 jukebox software interface for RP3B, I'm hoping to make a touchscreen with a thumb drive full of music plugged in that will connect via blue tooth to my sound system.

What I would really like is something like you would find in the pub!

Does your software support playlists?
Touchscreen?
Is your software available to D/L?

Thanks for your time and efforts on this project!
Hi

Yes to all :)

Just check out the user guide in GitHub or from fruitbox directly and browse this forum topic for lots of help and hints.

The first post in this topic contains the link to GitHub.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers
Mike

ScotM

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 pm

So I am new to the Pie and programming but have learned enough to get Fruitbox up and running using my keyboard. I have been able to move audio files around and add code. I edited an great audio clip sound of the Wurly mechanics to go along with the video. If I can figure out how to use this site I will share it.
My issue. I am using Rasbian stretch with desktop. I did not have a hardwired internet connection for the lite version which kind of puts the breaks on an install.
I am trying to get this to auto load at bootup. I found directionns in this post but I lost all USB keyboard function and had to reload everything because I could not get in via wifi.
I am using the Wurly skin
Can someone please help? It needs to load USP before the program starts I assume yes?
Awesome stuff. I also have an AMI w-120 wall selector that I am going to try to retrofit eventually. I see someone else on here does too. I have questions about that too but will start with the bootup for now.
Thanks,
Scot

milesways

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Absolutely great program! I'm impressed! I've been looking this kind of solution to make a jukebox and now you've done a great job with it!
Thanks!

I'm a n00b what comes to a linux and a rpi. I managed to put my music on a certain directory and fruitbox is able to build a database.
Now I am looking how to put those mp3's on usb drive and I do not know what I am supposed to write on fruitbox.cfg file.

PittStone

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 pm

milesways wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Absolutely great program! I'm impressed! I've been looking this kind of solution to make a jukebox and now you've done a great job with it!
Thanks!

I'm a n00b what comes to a linux and a rpi. I managed to put my music on a certain directory and fruitbox is able to build a database.
Now I am looking how to put those mp3's on usb drive and I do not know what I am supposed to write on fruitbox.cfg file.
I have made a USB.cfg with:

Database = /media/usb0/fruitbox.db
MusicPath = /media/usb0/mp3/

If you put new Music on your USB Stick, you can delete the fruitbox.db on your USB Stick and Fruitbox make a new fruitbox.db on your USB Stick.

But you need this steps for Strech:

USB Mounting:
1. Install the package:
sudo apt-get install usbmount

2. Make sure it works in Stretch by changing "MountFlags=slave" to "MountFlags=shared here":
sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/systemd-udevd.service

3. Reboot and it works!
sudo shutdown -r now

Mayki

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Can someone give me a Fruitbox intro (loading) video? I can not get it ...
Thanks... ;)

ScotM

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:34 pm

rholstrom wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:34 pm
rholstrom wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm
To All,

I just saw this post and have been working on making a 1953 AMI W-120 Wallbox run via Fruitbox. It has single selector keys per song and will be using a Arduino Due as a keyboard simulator. I have over 45 GPIOs used on the Due. The Due will also take care of proper power up and down sequences. If no key is pressed within 1 hour the display will go off and will wait for any button to be pressed to turn the display back on. After 6 hours of non use it will send a power down to the Raspberry Pie. The white back light for the coin will start to blink red telling shut down is happening and once the Raspberry Pi is shut down the Du will turn off power to display and Pi. The red light stop blinking and green light will be seen telling that it is safe to unplug the unit. The Due will also sit there while green waiting for any button press and if pressed will power and boot the Pi while red light tell of a power up and then start Fruitbox. When initially plugged it the Due will run it's routine also to start the Fruitbox software. Once booted the red light will turn off and white leds will light the back lighted coin slot. The audio board used is a HiFiBerry BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier used as a bi-amp. Separate speakers for bass and treble with digital crossover done by BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier. I found very limited GPIO availability with using the BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier so I needed to figure out another solution which is the Arduino Due as Keyboard simulator, power up / down sequencer, with Coin backlight indication.

I also have built in center paddle to access the page left & right similar to the way the AMI Wallbox was originally used and also have left & right sort paddle on the side to get around faster. The button levers and selector buttons behind the scenes is done with 3d printed plastic parts. The old mechanical selector mechanism will be resold as parts if one wants to restore a unit to original condition.

The 11" display in the AMI Wallbox is sideways with custom graphics from a photo of actual parts from a Wallbox. I hope to be done with the unit by Early May 2018 and will then post all the work required to convert a AMI W-120 Wallbox with Fruitbox.

So far the project is coming out well with the great work that was done by Chundermike as a basis for the project!

Below is the actual unit I started out with before I cleaned it up.

- REH
Here is my AMI W-120 with screen mounted and skin I designed. Still need to work on the 3d printed mount for the side buttons and some interfacing. Once completed I will post the files.
I have the same exact AMI model that I am looking to retrofit. You mention 11" display but the size seems wrong for the case. Do you mind sharing what monitor you used. It would make my search a lot easier. Also I figured out how to use fruitbox kind of.... Now onto designing my own skin. Any chance of sharing yours lol??? I came up with an idea for changing the oringinal switches to N/O instead of N/C without damaging or altering the original mechanics. Can you DM people on this site? I see people mention it but dont see a means? Thanks Scot

mallettron

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Many thanks for this project, really cool

My setup is
Official 7" touch screen and case
Raspberry Pi3 with 32gb card and Raspbian
Adafruit speaker bonnet and speakers
TouchOne skin

Small 2.4g keyboard/trackpad for other buttons

I have since ordered 15.6" laptop display, LCD controller card to make a bigger one

Thinking about buttons for the control, obviously 20 (0-9, A-K) for selection and others for further control. Seems the only way is to take a USB keyboard apart, map the keys and build something up. Has anyone done this before, Ive read all 29 pages so far and my brain hurts!!!!

Thanks again

mallettron

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Been working ok, but for some reason now it hangs and stutters. 3/4 times now

Thought it might have been my playlist as there are some, unknown artists/tracks (they play ok on winamp), but skipped them and put known tracks in, it has done the same thing

Tried to impress my nephew with it, not good when it hangs and stutters

Any ideas out there?

Many thanks

https://youtu.be/lnLJs5QUEew

mallettron

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

sat by it listening intently, started up, press auto play, done about 20 songs and stopped, no stuttering
checked temp, doesnt feel too hot, just warm

fruitbox

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 pm

fruitbox source code released

Hi,

Now that things have gone a little quiet on this forum, I have decided to release the C++ source code for fruitbox. This will allow other users to contribute by adding extra features and fixing issues anyone has, hopefully providing better support for everyone.

The source code files are now available on GitHub, in the build subdirectory. Please read build.txt for details on how to compile the code and produce a fruitbox exectuable. Hopefully it should just work, but if anyone has any issues, please let me know as I may have missed something! The source code is not particularly well documented, but I am happy to provide help if anyone has any detailed questions about the source.

Have fun! And for those that plan to contribute to the project ... thanks in advance.

https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-frui ... ster/build

Cheers,
Mike

mallettron

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:30 am

Right, started again, early 2018 version of Raspian, also cut down the number of mp3's (although there were some with unknowns in them)
Worked perfectly all night on auto

Conclusion, no idea, maybe latest version Rasbian, upset it, maybe too many mp3's, maybe, maybe

Its working so I am going to leave it alone

Now to build keypad for it for the extra keys needed

fruitbox

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:13 pm

mallettron wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:30 am
Right, started again, early 2018 version of Raspian, also cut down the number of mp3's (although there were some with unknowns in them)
Worked perfectly all night on auto

Conclusion, no idea, maybe latest version Rasbian, upset it, maybe too many mp3's, maybe, maybe

Its working so I am going to leave it alone

Now to build keypad for it for the extra keys needed
Hi,

Sorry to hear you had problems; not sure what your issues were, but if it's any help I don't suspect it's to do with the number of mp3's you have...I have done simulations with in excess of 300,000 mp3 files in the database and fruitbox coped fine. You mentioned "there were some with unknowns in them" so if you have time perhaps if you could provide some more information I could try and look into any possible issues in that area?

Cheers,
Mike

mallettron

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply

Its strange as all the MP3 I use work fine in Winamp (windows), all the info is there in the track name and artist but some just dont appear in FruitBox

Its seems to be working so I dont want to alter anything at the moment

I will keep an eye on it, while I design a newer version

10.1" Waveshare screen (it has resistive touch but I cant get that working), but I want to use physical buttons more a more retro look, I will need an external amp as well as the adafruit bonnet wont fit onto the pi and the lcd screen, then i just need to laser cut an enclosure

Should go well in my man cave with my pi arcade machine

Ronnie

ljs12377

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi I know this subject has been covered a little before but, if somebody can point me in the right direction on how to do this.. what I am planning on doing is using Fruitbox as a standalone jukebox capable of giving a song choice of 100 selections. What I need to Do is to be able to assign songs for example A1, D5, F9 etc and the songs always remain the same. I have had a look at playing around with the skins and there are gaps between the songs on the fruitbox.db is this going to be possible?

Request 2. How would I be able to get the fruitbox to start up on powering up the raspberry pi? I have tried using .~ bashrc but it's proving a little challenging

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Leigh

ljs12377

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

Hi, disregard my previous post I've managed to do what I needed. Now once fruitbox starts up on booting up the Pi my keyboard won't work and I can't quit the programme to enter the desktop mode. Any ideas?

Thanks

PittStone

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Any News About the Update for Internet Radio?

Andrey Threat

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Mike!
I was finally able to finish my jukebox project. Took me sometime to design a hardware to make original buttons and coin holder work with rpi.
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG (196.99 KiB) Viewed 971 times
But now I'm in dead end, so maybe you have some ideas.
So I've been running it headless obviously. And after a while, it just stops working. I would drop the coin, it will activate buttons, but nothing happens on rpi side.
But I'm still able to ssh, so I know raspbian is up running.

On the other side, when I have hdmi monitor connected, this never happens. I was hoping I will be able to see on the monitor what's going on.
So there is definitely something happening when hdmi signal is on.
What I tried to do, was to set up monitor blank and powerdown to 0. I feel like it helped a little bit, because now when I'm testing during the day it wont stop working. But when I came back to it this morning (it's been running all night) it's not working again.

I'm out of ideas. My only option now is to get a small monitor, and lock it inside the cabinet.

Maybe you or anybody else had similar problem?
Thanks.

shhammer5634

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Andrey Threat wrote:
Hi Mike!
I was finally able to finish my jukebox project. Took me sometime to design a hardware to make original buttons and coin holder work with rpi.

IMG_0442.JPG

So I've been running it headless obviously. And after a while, it just stops working. I would drop the coin, it will activate buttons, but nothing happens on rpi side.

On the other side, when I have hdmi monitor connected, this never happens. I was hoping I will be able to see on the monitor what's going on.
What I tried to do, was to set up monitor blank and powerdown to 0. I feel like it helped a little bit, because now when I'm testing during the day it wont stop working. But when I came back to it this morning (it's been running all night) it's not working again.

I'm out of ideas. My only option now is to get a small monitor, and lock it inside the cabinet.

Thanks.
Hi,

A question. When this happens, has it been after an extended period of inactivity?

Nicely done by the way!

Best Regards,
Steve

mallettron

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Andrey Threat wrote:
Hi Mike!

IMG_0442.JPG

Thanks.

I really would love something like that, but a bit beyond my building skills

mallettron

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:45 pm

mallettron wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:29 pm
Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply

Its strange as all the MP3 I use work fine in Winamp (windows), all the info is there in the track name and artist but some just dont appear in FruitBox

Its seems to be working so I dont want to alter anything at the moment

I will keep an eye on it, while I design a newer version

10.1" Waveshare screen (it has resistive touch but I cant get that working), but I want to use physical buttons more a more retro look, I will need an external amp as well as the adafruit bonnet wont fit onto the pi and the lcd screen, then i just need to laser cut an enclosure

Should go well in my man cave with my pi arcade machine

Ronnie
Out of curiosity Ive tried to make another, using earlier version of Raspian, all works great
Ive tried some of the other skins and come across a littel quirk

Some of the skins audio output sounds very much like 45 rpm records that require cleaning when playing, you get the authentic sound, little hiss, little pop here and there, very retro

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”