Markal

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm

HI MIke, sorry, more questions.

Still on Version 1.6

I have just tried to plug in a new USB flash drive and Fruitbox gets stuck

I have the required "Music" Subdirectory with the MP3's in.

I fire up the Raspberry and get - "You are in Emergency mode" Blah Blah

"Cannot Open Access to Console, the root account is locked.

See syslogin(8) Man page for use details

Press enter to continue."

I keep pressing enter and getting the same error message.

If I put the old USB stick in and press enter it fires up fine

Any ideas? Could it be to do with the mounting of the USB Flash drive?

fruitbox

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 pm

Markal wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm
HI MIke, sorry, more questions.

Still on Version 1.6

I have just tried to plug in a new USB flash drive and Fruitbox gets stuck

I have the required "Music" Subdirectory with the MP3's in.

I fire up the Raspberry and get - "You are in Emergency mode" Blah Blah

"Cannot Open Access to Console, the root account is locked.

See syslogin(8) Man page for use details

Press enter to continue."

I keep pressing enter and getting the same error message.

If I put the old USB stick in and press enter it fires up fine

Any ideas? Could it be to do with the mounting of the USB Flash drive?
Hi Mark,

Not sure about your emergency mode problem - is there some boot file on the flash drive it's trying to run perhaps? A quick google revealed a discussion here...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vie ... ?t=172814

Regarding your point about upgrading, if you just download the zip file from Github then all it'll overwrite is the contents of your existing rpi-fruitbox-master directory, so won't affect any other part of your system. If you've made skin changes or any other changes in the rpi-fruitbox-master directory you may be better off just grabbing the fruitbox executable file on it's own...if you go to GitHub from a web browser, you can just click on the 'fruitbox' file - it then takes you to another (Raw View) screen where you can download it using the Download button on the right (i.e. just the executable file and not everything else). Then you can save it in your rpi-fruitbox-master directory, overwriting your existing version (1.6). If you want to keep your version 1.6, then just rename it *before* downloading the latest version...

Code: Select all

cd rpi-fruitbox-master
sudo mv ./fruitbox ./fruitbox-1.6
you'll then have both versions in the directory and can choose which one to run (./fruitbox or ./fruitbox-1.6).

Off the top of my head, there may be a few skin tweaks between the two versions, so you may have to grab the fruitbox.cfg files from GitHub too, but just try it first - if the skins look ok, you're good to go.

By the way, GitHub contains all versions of fruitbox, so if you lose 1.6 then you can always download it again...just click on the "History" button next to the "Download" button (after clicking on the fruitbox file), then find Version 1.6 in the list. Click on the "<>" button for that entry, and it'll take you to the files for that release, and you can just click on the fruitbox file to download it as before.

Cheers,
Mike

Markal

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 am

Hi Mike

I cannot see any other files other than the Fruitbox cfg file plus the Music subdirectory when I plug the usb drive into my windows computer.

Scally

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Hi - I have been busy building an arcade machine around the raspberry pi 2, and when I saw what you had done to create fruitbox I realised it would be perfect to double up as a jukebox, especially when you added usb joystick controller support. But I have built the arcade around Raspian Jessie, because that is what was used by the attract mode image that I started from. Now I tried to install fruitbox but I get the following error message when I try to run it:

error while loading shared libraries: libpng16.so.16: cannot open shared object file

I'm a complete novice here, but by Googling I found a command that tells me I have version 1.2.50-2+deb8u3 installed. I'm not sure where that came from nor what is currently using that version on my system. I did spend forever trying to add ffmpeg to get HW acceleration, which somehow I eventually got working, so it might have come from that.

I don't really know what to do next. I don't think I can easily change from Jessie, nor if I can change the libpng library version in some way. I've run all the apt-get update/upgrades but nothing changed. I see this libpng question came up once before, but didn't see an answer.

I really hope you can help! Adding fruitbox would increase the household approval no end!

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:35 am

Scally wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 pm
Hi - I have been busy building an arcade machine around the raspberry pi 2, and when I saw what you had done to create fruitbox I realised it would be perfect to double up as a jukebox, especially when you added usb joystick controller support. But I have built the arcade around Raspian Jessie, because that is what was used by the attract mode image that I started from. Now I tried to install fruitbox but I get the following error message when I try to run it:

error while loading shared libraries: libpng16.so.16: cannot open shared object file

I'm a complete novice here, but by Googling I found a command that tells me I have version 1.2.50-2+deb8u3 installed. I'm not sure where that came from nor what is currently using that version on my system. I did spend forever trying to add ffmpeg to get HW acceleration, which somehow I eventually got working, so it might have come from that.

I don't really know what to do next. I don't think I can easily change from Jessie, nor if I can change the libpng library version in some way. I've run all the apt-get update/upgrades but nothing changed. I see this libpng question came up once before, but didn't see an answer.

I really hope you can help! Adding fruitbox would increase the household approval no end!
Hi,

I'm sure Mike is a better source for info on this but you could try installing libpng16-16. That should be the version that is being looked for. I would expect both libraries to remain available, but if it were me I would make an image of my sd card before I made the change. That way if something goes wonky you have a place to fall back to.

In case you need it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libpng16-16
Cheers,
Steve

karrika

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:39 am

Trying to mix applications running on jessie and stretch on the same Pi requires a lot of tinkering. There is a lot of work being done to get RetroPie to run on stretch so I assume that this problem will go away by itself.

The easiest thing right now is to ditch RetroPie and install NOOBS + Recalbox + stretch. Recalbox takes care of arcade emulation and stretch of fruitbox - case solved.

Or wait for some time to see if RetroPie is upgraded to stretch.

Scally

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for the info on libpng. I'll certainly take a backup and try your install suggestion tonight. I've spent a lot of time setting up Attract Mode and I really like it for my arcade machine. I'll take a look at Recalbox, but I might struggle to get back to the same type of setup.

I'll let you know how I get on with the libpng16-16 install. But if Mike has a way of supporting Jessie/libpng12 I'd be very happy!

fruitbox

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am

Scally wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am
Thanks for the info on libpng. I'll certainly take a backup and try your install suggestion tonight. I've spent a lot of time setting up Attract Mode and I really like it for my arcade machine. I'll take a look at Recalbox, but I might struggle to get back to the same type of setup.

I'll let you know how I get on with the libpng16-16 install. But if Mike has a way of supporting Jessie/libpng12 I'd be very happy!
Hi

If I get a chance next week I'll install Jessie and build fruitbox for that; you never know it might just work ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Scally

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am

That would be awesome, I'm looking forward to it! Thank you.

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Good day Mike!

Happy Friday...

A question. Does Fruitbox use Alsa to route audio or does it control the audio hardware directly? I've been trying to implement some basic tone controls with Alsa and not having much success. I'm trying to determine if this is just another one of my oversights or not.

Thanks much!

Cheers,
Steve

Addendum: You can disregard. I just did some more testing and the Alsa volume control works to control the Fruitbox volume. So it means it's just another oversight for me.

Steve

Scally

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 pm

(re: libpng error)

I tried to use your suggested command (sudo apt-get install libpng16-16) but it gives an error, Unable to locate package.

So I'm really hoping that Mike can release a version for Jessie. Thanks in advance!

shhammer5634

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Scally wrote:

I tried to use your suggested command (sudo apt-get install libpng16-16) but it gives an error, Unable to locate package.

So I'm really hoping that Mike can release a version for Jessie. Thanks in advance!
Well, it was just a thought. That package may not be available for Jesse.

Cheers,
Steve

ajMatus

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Mike,

Just a quick note over here, I noticed if left idle after ten minutes to be exact my touchscreen goes black, I assume some sort of sleep mode. I would prefer this to always be on, or if need be I can easily touch anywhere on the screen to wake it back up. Currently I noticed it would only accept input from the keyboard to come back while in this state. Is this possible or already implemented and i missed it?

Additionally, by the way the x and y coordinates for the touchscreen is what we get from the evtest right in case I wanted to modify or add buttons to the touchscreen?

Got this baby working nicely btw, coin acceptor, touch screen, 1TB of songs, just my hifiberry amp is left :)

Cheers

fruitbox

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:26 pm

ajMatus wrote:
Hi Mike,

Just a quick note over here, I noticed if left idle after ten minutes to be exact my touchscreen goes black, I assume some sort of sleep mode. I would prefer this to always be on, or if need be I can easily touch anywhere on the screen to wake it back up. Currently I noticed it would only accept input from the keyboard to come back while in this state. Is this possible or already implemented and i missed it?

Additionally, by the way the x and y coordinates for the touchscreen is what we get from the evtest right in case I wanted to modify or add buttons to the touchscreen?

Got this baby working nicely btw, coin acceptor, touch screen, 1TB of songs, just my hifiberry amp is left :)

Cheers
Hi,

I don't think there's anything I can do about the Touch screen sleep mode - it's a system thing AFAIK; googling "Disable Raspberry Pi touch screen sleep" throws up a few hits worth checking out.

About the touchscreen x and y co-ordinates; you need to be a little careful here, as when you are defining [touch areas] for your buttons in the skin configuration file, the area positions and size values are relative to the SkinSize defined in the same file. This may not be the actual size of the touch screen, so any values returned by evtest will only be useful to you if your skin size is the same as the touch resolution (of course, the best looking skin will have the same skin size as the screen resolution, so the scaling doesn't loose any detail). fruitbox will scale everything correctly for you, so if I was designing a touchscreen skin, I would ignore the actual dimensions of the touch screen itself, and just make sure my button areas are correct for my skin size. I use GIMP usually to create my skin graphics; GIMP always shows you the cursor co-oridinates, so it's pretty easy to work out your [touch area] values just by positioning the cursor when editing your graphics in GIMP.

I'd like to see a picture of your set-up, btw ;)

...and how many songs is fruitbox handling for 1TB !!!???

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Scally wrote:

Hi,

Just tried building fruitbox on jessie...got the mpg123 and allegro libraries built ok, but fruitbox itself requires gcc 6, and jessie only shipped with 4...I could try compiling gcc 6 itself but it takes around 6 hours on a Pi 3, and I've only got a Pi zero!

Anyone out there know if I can just download pre-built gcc 6 (.3.0) raspberry pi jessie binaries from anywhere?

EDIT: Just kicked off a gcc 6 build on my Pi zero. Apparently it takes about 48 hours (if I don't hit any problems). I really need to get myself a Pi 3...

EDIT2: Ran out of memory during gcc build after about 8 hours...serves me right for being cheap and only using an 8G SD card...restarted compile with 32G card so fingers crossed (and still running after 14 hours (which is good I believe!))...

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by fruitbox on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

dlink

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:56 am

ajMatus wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers
Mike I second this but I'm not using a touch screen. Something is wrong between 1.5 and 1.10 as even setting up buttons has a big delay several min.'s but in test mode in 1.10 the button presses respond with 0 delay. I thought something was wrong with my controller but tried it on another PI with 1.5 on it and it worked perfect. Swapped SD cards between the two and the issue followed 1.10. knowing this I reformatted the SD card and did a fresh install of 1.10 and still the same issue. I then purged out the rpi-fruitbox-master folder and dropped a zip copy of 1.5 on the SD card and unzipped 1.5 and it worked without delay. So the issue followed the Version not the hardware. BTW 1.10 works fine with just a keyboard but issue follows the joystick button press and the button config but button test works fine. I'm guessing something to do with touch screen and Joystick as I thought the issue had followed sleep mode as well.

fruitbox

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 am

dlink wrote:

Mike I second this but I'm not using a touch screen. Something is wrong between 1.5 and 1.10 as even setting up buttons has a big delay several min.'s but in test mode in 1.10 the button presses respond with 0 delay. I thought something was wrong with my controller but tried it on another PI with 1.5 on it and it worked perfect. Swapped SD cards between the two and the issue followed 1.10. knowing this I reformatted the SD card and did a fresh install of 1.10 and still the same issue. I then purged out the rpi-fruitbox-master folder and dropped a zip copy of 1.5 on the SD card and unzipped 1.5 and it worked without delay. So the issue followed the Version not the hardware. BTW 1.10 works fine with just a keyboard but issue follows the joystick button press and the button config but button test works fine. I'm guessing something to do with touch screen and Joystick as I thought the issue had followed sleep mode as well.
Hi

That's very strange...I just tested v1.10 with my USB joystick for both --test-buttons and --config-buttons, and both modes work fine with no delay at all. (and running too, with the joystick in control)

Anybody else having issues?

dlink - maybe worth you sending details of your joystick to me (i.e. make, model and evtest output) - that would be useful as I could maybe see anything unusual about it? I know you said it's fine on 1.5, so I may be able to back-track the code changes to see if anything is related...

Cheers,
Mike

dlink

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 am

fruitbox wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 am
dlink wrote:

Hi

That's very strange...I just tested v1.10 with my USB joystick for both --test-buttons and --config-buttons, and both modes work fine with no delay at all. (and running too, with the joystick in control)

Anybody else having issues?

dlink - maybe worth you sending details of your joystick to me (i.e. make, model and evtest output) - that would be useful as I could maybe see anything unusual about it? I know you said it's fine on 1.5, so I may be able to back-track the code changes to see if anything is related...

Cheers,
Mike
Mike
Sorry I don't have evtest or know how to use it. I did do a cat /proc/bus/input/devices and found my devices as follows:

My USB CY-822B led-joystick bought on Amazon
Bus=0003 Vendor=0079 Product=006 Version=0110
Name="DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick"

My Dell Keyboard
Bus=003 Vendor=413c Product=2107 Version=0111
Name="Dell Dell USB Entry Keyboard"

I had removed 1.10 and went back to 1.5 and the system has been working flawlessly. So in order for me to help you test I renamed my rpi-fruitbox-master to rpi-fruitbox-master105 and then downloaded 1.10 again and extracted it out as the rpi-fruitbox-master and setup 1.10 again and still have the same issue in 1.10. The button file actually takes but I have to hit the button 5-10 times before it actually configures the button. If I do the same on 1.05 the buttons work insistently on first press. I did notice even in 1.10 the keyboard presses had issues. All buttons eventually take and the button file in 1.10 looks like this:

# Fruitbox v1.10 button mapping file
# Missing buttons will assume their default values (see user guide)

ButtonQuit = Keyboard 17
Button Vol+ = Keyboard 62
Button Vol- = Keyboard 61
ButtonSkip = JoyButton 0 0
ButtonLeft = JoyButton 10 0
ButtonRight = JoyButton 1 0
ButtonLeftJump = JoyButton 9 0
ButtonRightJump = JoyButton 2 0
ButtonAuto = JoyButton 11 0
Button1 = JoyButton 8 0
Button2 = JoyButton 7 0
Button3= JoyButton 4 0
Button4 = JoyButton 3 0

When I play the jukebox in 1.05 all is OK, button presses are instant. If I boot to 1.10 buttons take 5-10 times and can take 1-5 min. and almost seems like the jukebox is sleeping but I think it is just competing with something running in the background or memory that is delaying the buttons input. On 1.10 it can be hit or miss if the buttons work and almost acts like suspend mode or sleep mode is on and it take awhile to wake to allow key/button inputs. However I don't think this issue of a wake/sleep mode but instead I think it's an input conflict with a process or memory resources as the --test works fine but the --config has issues like when playing the jukebox. Hope this helps, if you need more info or want me to run some commands I'd be happy to do so. Maybe I'm missing something between 1.5 and 1.10 that I'm doing wrong.

karrika

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:13 am

If you are running fruitbox on top of raspbian desktop then the desktop is also catching all events. Could you run raspi-config and choose to boot to command line. When you run fruitbox from the command line do you still have the same delay problem? My guess is that it works perfectly without delays when run from the command line without a desktop.

fruitbox

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am

...and do you get any 0x505 errors (in the console) indicating that the GPU has run out of memory? ... If so you'll need to change the memory split in raspi-config...

dlink

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Not sure if the above comments are directed to me. But I'm not getting any errors nor is this a split memory issue as I have tried this on another PI with a greater split. Could the issue be that I'm using a usb joystick controller instead of going to the PI GPIO's? I can not connect my buttons to the PI's GPIO's as they are 3 prong and include LED's. To the question on running a desk top no, both cards and pi's have no GUI, I'm using Raspbian Light as suggested.

fruitbox

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm

dlink wrote:
Not sure if the above comments are directed to me. But I'm not getting any errors nor is this a split memory issue as I have tried this on another PI with a greater split. Could the issue be that I'm using a usb joystick controller instead of going to the PI GPIO's? I can not connect my buttons to the PI's GPIO's as they are 3 prong and include LED's. To the question on running a desk top no, both cards and pi's have no GUI, I'm using Raspbian Light as suggested.
Hi,

fruitbox should be able to handle the USB joystick controller no problem. As an experiment, could you try disconnecting it, reconfiguring your buttons and see if the problem persists please without the joystick connected?

You should be able to use your 3-pinned buttons I reckon; one pin is GND, the other is the button switch (which you connect to the GPIO) and the third is the LED power (usually, but best double-check yours!). If you put an inline resistor on the LED pin and connected that to a different GPIO you might even be able get fruitbox to light up the buttons using the status $SET_GPIO_XX_LO/HI variables :))

Mike

dlink

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

fruitbox wrote:
dlink wrote:
Hi,

fruitbox should be able to handle the USB joystick controller no problem. As an experiment, could you try disconnecting it, reconfiguring your buttons and see if the problem persists please without the joystick connected?

You should be able to use your 3-pinned buttons I reckon; one pin is GND, the other is the button switch (which you connect to the GPIO) and the third is the LED power (usually, but best double-check yours!). If you put an inline resistor on the LED pin and connected that to a different GPIO you might even be able get fruitbox to light up the buttons using the status $SET_GPIO_XX_LO/HI variables :))

Mike

Mike,
hard wiring is not an option on this build but maybe the next build I can try that. I'm building this for my mom's 75 Birthday in two weeks so the project is almost complete. The Jukebox is in a frame and kinda sealed with a console USB port that I can plug in a keyboard to. Option to plug and unplug the joystick controller at this point would mean a disassemble. I did however try 1.10 I thought with just the keyboard when it was disassembled and if I remember correctly it worked but not 100% sure if I'm remembering correctly. I have some backup images that I will through on another SD card and another PI that I was testing with and see if I get the same results without the joystick if so I know for sure it's not hardware Joystick or PI. If I don't have any issues then it would take some more troubleshooting. I question if anyone else is just running a joystick USB controller with only buttons and fruitbox 1.10. If they are I would love to know if they reconfigured their buttons with no issues. Anyhow I will keep trying to figure it out.

fruitbox

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 pm

dlink wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm
fruitbox wrote:
dlink wrote:
Hi,

Mike

Mike,
hard wiring is not an option on this build but maybe the next build I can try that. I'm building this for my mom's 75 Birthday in two weeks so the project is almost complete. The Jukebox is in a frame and kinda sealed with a console USB port that I can plug in a keyboard to. Option to plug and unplug the joystick controller at this point would mean a disassemble. I did however try 1.10 I thought with just the keyboard when it was disassembled and if I remember correctly it worked but not 100% sure if I'm remembering correctly. I have some backup images that I will through on another SD card and another PI that I was testing with and see if I get the same results without the joystick if so I know for sure it's not hardware Joystick or PI. If I don't have any issues then it would take some more troubleshooting. I question if anyone else is just running a joystick USB controller with only buttons and fruitbox 1.10. If they are I would love to know if they reconfigured their buttons with no issues. Anyhow I will keep trying to figure it out.
Thanks for the update - I'm as keen to get to the bottom of this as you are so I'll spend some time looking at what I changed between 1.5 and 1.10 to see if I can narrow anything down. I've tested it with three different USB joysticks I have and it all works fine, so I'm a bit stumped at the moment!

Cheers,
Mike

Markal

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 am

Hi Mike

Shoo, what a learning curve I have gone through. All I suspect idiosyncrasies of Raspian / Linux (of which I know very little I do admit) rather than a short coming of Fruitbox.

I have eventually managed to load Fruitbox 1.10 onto a new sd card so as to keep V1.6 in case of.... well, who knows if I get this to work or not.

I have also used a new Memory stick/flash drive to preserve my old working unit and loaded my MP3's to that in subdirectory Music, sorry, that should be "music" Case sensitive again, almost caught me again.

Now for all the little points that messed me around as a record to help those who face the same problem. I can understand the frustration of that one chap who posted a short while back who said he is going back to XYZ because he couldn't get Fruitbox to work, so if he is still checking in, he should consider the following points that will trip you up as a clue to his problem.

1 - Changing Flash drive. - Assume nothing!

My first working drive working with Fruitbox 1.6 was mounted as sda as that is how the system identified it.

Now exactly the same Raspberry 3 identifies the new Sony Flashdrive as sda1 even though it is plugged into the same usb port. THIS is what was causing the Pi to boot up in Emergency mode as posted previously and hanging up. I could get past this by swapping to the first USB stick to get it to finish booting up though then returned the new USB and changed the

2 - Case Sensitive - "walljuke" does not = "WallJuke" ; "Music" does not = "music"

After getting past the booting issue, I got caught out with the problem that while Fruitbox was loading, the Fruitbox logo comes up and proudly displays 1.10, it would bomb saying that it was not being able to find the config file. "Unable to find skins/walljuke/fruitbox.cfg". The case sensitive problem again that I got caught out with the first time. I was typing "sudo skins/walljuke/fruitbox.cfg" and not the required "sudo skins/WallJuke/fruitbox.cfg"

I hope this all helps someone else. I am now doing a full back up of the sd card before I set up auto-loading.

Now a new problem that I know you cannot help with. My son is turning 21 in 6 weeks and he is so impressed with this having had it running in bare back fashion in our pub that he now badly wants this Juke Box to be built in the full size wurlitzer style cabinet we have seen online and running for his party. :-).

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”