fruitbox

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:06 pm

cybercloporte wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Hi, i try to navigate in fruitbox whit my xbox360 controller. I copy, in TouchOne Skins folder, touch.png and rename it "glass.png", and i put it in WallJuke skin folder. I plug the controller and i configure it with "./fruitbox --config-buttons" successfully. When i reboot, i have this message : Error couldn't load display object 'skins/WallJuke/ ../glass.png". So, the system stop booting. I tried with another images, that i rename "glass.png, same problem ! I think glass.png must have a particular resolution, what can i do ?

Thanks
Try specifying it as follows...

Code: Select all

Bitmap = glass.png
...(i.e. without the ../) because the file location is relative to the directory that the cfg file is in.

Mike

fruitbox

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Hebert wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 am
Hi everyone! I'm setting up my jukebox. I'm looking forward to incrementing by putting RGB LED strip and it would be cool if they were controlled by this program based on the rhythm of the song. Is it possible to control the GPIO pins as output based on music rhythm?
Hi

No that's not currently possible. The best you can do is set up a status timer to activate GPIO output at different fixed rates.

Mike

bernyone

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 am

Hi Jon

Any chance you could post your 'fruitbox.btn' file? Also could you run 'evtest' (you may have to 'sudo apt-get install evtest' first, and send me it's output (I.e. the list of devices it detects)?

Cheers,
Mike

# fruitbox v1.5 button mapping file
# Missing buttons will assume their default values (see user guide)

ButtonQuit       = JoyAxis 0 0 2
ButtonCoin       = Keyboard 3
ButtonVol+       = JoyButton 7
ButtonVol-       = JoyAxis 0 1 1
ButtonRandom     = JoyButton 4
ButtonSelect     = Keyboard 19
ButtonSkip       = JoyButton 2
ButtonUp         = Keyboard 84
ButtonDown       = Keyboard 85
ButtonLeft       = JoyAxis 2 1 1
ButtonRight      = JoyButton 10
ButtonLeftJump   = Keyboard 83
ButtonRightJump  = Keyboard 82
ButtonAuto       = JoyButton 4
ButtonLoop       = Keyboard 12
ButtonFree       = Keyboard 6
ButtonClear      = Keyboard 24
ButtonMute       = Keyboard 19
Button0          = Keyboard 27
Button1          = JoyAxis 3 0 2
Button2          = JoyButton 3
Button3          = JoyButton 6
Button4          = JoyButton 9
Button5          = Keyboard 32
Button6          = Keyboard 33
Button7          = Keyboard 34
Button8          = Keyboard 35
Button9          = Keyboard 36
ButtonA          = JoyButton 0
ButtonB          = JoyButton 1
ButtonC          = JoyButton 5
ButtonD          = JoyButton 8
ButtonE          = JoyButton 11
ButtonF          = Keyboard 6
ButtonG          = Keyboard 7
ButtonH          = Keyboard 8
ButtonI          = Keyboard 9
ButtonJ          = Keyboard 10
ButtonK          = Keyboard 11
evtest comes back with:
No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Not running as root, no devices may be available.
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0: SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse
/dev/input/event1: USB USB Keyboard
/dev/input/event2: USB USB Keyboard
/dev/input/event3: DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick
/dev/input/event4: retrogame

sorry for the delay in getting back to you my eldest son had surgery this morning and my car decided it didnt like its stater motor any more so been a touch hectic to say the least....

Jon

fruitbox

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:53 pm

bernyone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 am

Jon
Hi Jon,

Looks innocent enough - but I think you shouldn't have retrogame running anymore, so can you remove that from the .bashrc startup file and reboot to see if that makes any difference please?

EDIT: the suspect buttons are mapped to the joystick by the looks of it. Is it an analogue joystick or digital? Would it be possible to run evtest on it and see what codes that produces when you waggle your stick...

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Hope your son is ok...
Last edited by fruitbox on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernyone

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Hebert wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm setting up my jukebox. I'm looking forward to incrementing by putting RGB LED strip and it would be cool if they were controlled by this program based on the rhythm of the song. Is it possible to control the GPIO pins as output based on music rhythm?
i use these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

controlled by 1 of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

only thing i find is it not very sensitive at lower volumes....

bernyone

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Jon,

Looks innocent enough - but I think you shouldn't have retrogame running anymore, so can you remove that from the .bashrc startup file and reboot to see if that makes any difference please?

EDIT: the suspect buttons are mapped to the joystick by the looks of it. Is it an analogue joystick or digital? Would it be possible to run evtest on it and see what codes that produces when you waggle your stick...

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Hope your son is ok...
no joystick connected mike,
only 16 buttons

im using buttons
1-4
a-e
vol + & -
skip
random
left & right
exit

the rest are randomly asigned buttons on the usb keyboard....

i thought i had removed retrogame already...........

boys great thanks for asking :D :D

fruitbox

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:09 pm

bernyone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm

no joystick connected mike,
only 16 buttons

im using buttons
1-4
a-e
vol + & -
skip
random
left & right
exit

the rest are randomly asigned buttons on the usb keyboard....

i thought i had removed retrogame already...........
So in the btn file it's mapped Vol- to a JoyAxis (i.e. a stick not button), so maybe I'm interpreting the codes wrong. If it's definitely a button you press for Vol- and you still get a JoyAxis code, can you run evtest, select the joystick device and press the Vol- button and let me know what it says please? BTW, you can run fruitbox with the '--test-buttons' option to check the Vol- button again...

Cheers,
Mike

Plopper

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanx for the link I'll give it a look.

OklahomaGreyBeard

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 pm

Are you able to have two input sources for a button? i.e. pressing the number 1 on the keypad as well as a button on GPIO1 both register as a 1?

fruitbox

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 pm

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 pm
Are you able to have two input sources for a button? i.e. pressing the number 1 on the keypad as well as a button on GPIO1 both register as a 1?
Afraid not :(

...how important is this to you?

Mike

sasquatch001

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 pm

I finally started with fruitbox tonight.

All installed and music added fine.

bashrc file edited to load fruitbox on boot. Only problem is I am prompted for login details on boot. Once I enter the user and password it does load straight to fruitbox.

How can I skip the login process?

Thanks
David

OklahomaGreyBeard

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 pm

fruitbox wrote:

Mike
Not at all really. My lazy arse was just wanting to skip a song without getting up and I'm trying to envision a way to control it through a web interface as well as the physical controls. I don't know how to remotely send a local key press but I can control the GPIO pins remotely.

If I could even have the pi simulate a local key press from a remote ssh script I could figure it out from there as well. Granted, the easiest is just get up and walk over and press the button...

OklahomaGreyBeard

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 pm
I finally started with fruitbox tonight.

All installed and music added fine.

bashrc file edited to load fruitbox on boot. Only problem is I am prompted for login details on boot. Once I enter the user and password it does load straight to fruitbox.

How can I skip the login process?

Thanks
David

sudo raspi-config
Go into boot options and choose to boot to the console already logged in.

sasquatch001

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Thank you

fruitbox

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 pm

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 pm
fruitbox wrote:

Mike
Not at all really. My lazy arse was just wanting to skip a song without getting up and I'm trying to envision a way to control it through a web interface as well as the physical controls. I don't know how to remotely send a local key press but I can control the GPIO pins remotely.

If I could even have the pi simulate a local key press from a remote ssh script I could figure it out from there as well. Granted, the easiest is just get up and walk over and press the button...
Could you use our old friend - Adafruits' retrogame? You could set up the fruitbox button for keyboard input, but also have retrogame generate the same keyboard code from a GPIO. If the wind's blowing in the right direction, it may just work....

karrika

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:03 am

fruitbox wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm
Hebert wrote:
Hi

No that's not currently possible. The best you can do is set up a status timer to activate GPIO output at different fixed rates.

Mike
@Hebert, Have a look at QLC+. It can control all kind of disco-lighting based on the music. It also has DMX light control using the UART pins and LED strip control using the SPI pins. I am using it in our theater a lot for controlling lights and sounds. This software has a no-gui option so you should be able to run it in parallel with fruitbox. There is all kind of LED snake effects that can be programmed and you can also ask the QLC+ to do frequency analysis of the music to produce frequency-bar effects using LED strips. And QLC+ is also free.

By the way. The new sorting of songs that comes as default in TouchOne skin is really perfect. It groups my records nicely with no empty labels in between. Currently I cannot think about anything to change. It is perfect for my needs! Thanks Mike!

JLanza89

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 am

Hello, after using this fabulous program I can only say that I will expose some things that I personally feel that you need.

search engine: a key to search, among thousands of songs is very useful.
Navigation keys: up, down, left, right, select and back. instead of selecting 2 details and then select.
Disk image: which shows the image of the disc that is playing.

things to highlight:
The name: Fruitbox I loved it
the logo: better could not have
Installation: easy to install
Configuration: although I do not have more than 1 month in this raspberry Pi and I have no knowledge univecitarios, I understood very well.
community: thanks to this active community, this continues to grow. It's amazing and I appreciate it.

I would like to learn more about this and how to edit the skins and other parameters. I hope later realizing them with this great community

fruitbox

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 am

JLanza89 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 am
Hello, after using this fabulous program I can only say that I will expose some things that I personally feel that you need.

search engine: a key to search, among thousands of songs is very useful.
Navigation keys: up, down, left, right, select and back. instead of selecting 2 details and then select.
Disk image: which shows the image of the disc that is playing.

things to highlight:
The name: Fruitbox I loved it
the logo: better could not have
Installation: easy to install
Configuration: although I do not have more than 1 month in this raspberry Pi and I have no knowledge univecitarios, I understood very well.
community: thanks to this active community, this continues to grow. It's amazing and I appreciate it.

I would like to learn more about this and how to edit the skins and other parameters. I hope later realizing them with this great community
Hi

Thank you for your kind comments.

For your three improvements...

Search : several people have asked for this. I will consider adding it in the future, but need to make sure that we don't lose the jukebox feeling of the software. That said, it is a feature that can be made quite discrete or not due to the skinning capabilities.

Navigation using up/down/left/right - fruitbox already has this - it's called joystick mode. (See 'Splat' skin for an example). Note there is also a third selection mode called 'touch song' which is for touch screens only...you can select a song just by touching its name.

Disk image - fruit already has this too - it's called cover art (see 'NumberOne' skin for an example).

Please check out the user guide...this should have everything you need to help you make sure own skin.

Looking forward to seeing your skin creations!

BTW if anyone has any skins they would like to share (Mike yes please to your Steampunk) then please send a pull request to the GitHub repository, or zip it up and email it to me.

Thanks
Mike

OklahomaGreyBeard

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm

How about an option to have a hidden button to toggle pausing playback?

sasquatch001

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Trying tonight to use a usb flash drive. I'm sure this is a basic error but I can not get the drive to mount.

Shouldn't Raspbian automount the drive when it's plugged in? (Fat32).

sasquatch001

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Trying tonight to use a usb flash drive. I'm sure this is a basic error but I can not get the drive to mount.

Shouldn't Raspbian automount the drive when it's plugged in? (Fat32).
Ignore my ramblings, I have managed to mount it manually. I'll be back with a bigger problem later. :D

bernyone

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi Mike
Solved 99% of my issues with a reinstall,
Quick question...
Can i use a gpio button as well as usb?
Im presuming yes but wanted to check before getting fiddly (man hands i.e sausage fingers lol)

Cheers
Jon

ajMatus

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Hey Mike,

Just a thought, is there anyway this could be implemented for future releases? Having an enermous library takes a toll on searching as stated by others, while the skip by 20 pages etc is good. Could there be a button that skips to artists in alphabetical order? For instance if I press the button it would take me to the first instance of the artist whose name begins with the letter "B", another press would take me to artists with letter "C" and so on... Of course this would go in reverse as well, from "B" to "A" ... As such if I wanted an artist such as Green day I could simply press enough times and land on letter G which I could then browse other artists in this alphabet with the skip button.

Cheers!

fruitbox

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 pm

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm
How about an option to have a hidden button to toggle pausing playback?
Yep no problem

fruitbox

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 pm

bernyone wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm
Hi Mike
Solved 99% of my issues with a reinstall,
Quick question...
Can i use a gpio button as well as usb?
Im presuming yes but wanted to check before getting fiddly (man hands i.e sausage fingers lol)

Cheers
Jon
Hi Jon,

Yes you can mix and match input types

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”