dlink

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 am

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:17 pm
Stupidly I was ignoring the number of channels libmpg123 was giving me when parsing the MP3 file, and was subsequently hard-coding the number of channels on the audio output to 2. I hadn't tried testing with mono audio so didn't notice...
That could explain something weird I noticed last night. With the skin I'm working on I'm using the record wave file to simulate it's vinyl playing. I had turned the volume all the way down using the - key yet every time it auto played a song, it played that vinyl sound at full volume but of course not the song. Kinda freaked me out at 3 in the morning. Thought I had mice or something..

You need to start ignoring us or we're going to give you so many enhancements/bugs to fix you're never going to get 1.4 cleared... :lol:

On that note, if you need a second tester I'd be more than willing to give it a shot and give you my input. Out of curiosity, what are you programming this with?

-mike
Great that you found it so fast, thanks for the help and I will wait for the next release. BTW what is the best way to upgrade without overwriting everything?

bernyone

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
bernyone wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm
Please post the solution when you figure it out as i have the same issue
Hi,

Could you send me the contents of your .bashrc file please?

Cheers,
Mike
did you find a solution Mike?

finally had time to flash the sd card and install a safe shutdown button tonight but alas stil have the same issue with no control when i autostart fruitbox....

not sure if its related or not but sometimes when i boot FB from the cmd box i get a "could not install keyboard" error.....
closing that window and opening a fresh cmd box fixes it....

ill send my bashrc via pm on here

cheers
Jon

fruitbox

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 am

finally had time to flash the sd card and install a safe shutdown button tonight but alas stil have the same issue with no control when i autostart fruitbox....

not sure if its related or not but sometimes when i boot FB from the cmd box i get a "could not install keyboard" error.....

cheers
Jon
Hi Jon

Sorry to hear you're having problems. This is something I've not seen before; my original jukebox hardware had autobooting fruitbox and retrogame with no issues. Trouble is my SD image for that project has been wiped during recent development and testing, so haven't got that reference anymore (very unprofessional of me...) But when I get the chance I will try and re-create your problem. May not be for a few days though...

I will check out my PM for your file.

Cheers,
Mike

bernyone

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:11 am

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 am

cheers
Jon
Hi Jon

Sorry to hear you're having problems. This is something I've not seen before; my original jukebox hardware had autobooting fruitbox and retrogame with no issues. Trouble is my SD image for that project has been wiped during recent development and testing, so haven't got that reference anymore (very unprofessional of me...) But when I get the chance I will try and re-create your problem. May not be for a few days though...

I will check out my PM for your file.

Cheers,
Mike
Excellent stuff Mike appreciate it alot!!

FYI this is with both jukeboxes Mike, not just the big beast with retrogame buttons but also the "minijuke" using a plain old usb keyboard and mouse

Jon

fruitbox

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 am

FYI this is with both jukeboxes Mike, not just the big beast with retrogame buttons but also the "minijuke" using a plain old usb keyboard and mouse

Jon
Just thought...it may be worth trying to start up fruitbox from rc.local rather than .bashrc...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... c-local.md

Mike

karrika

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 am

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 am

Jon
Just thought...it may be worth trying to start up fruitbox from rc.local rather than .bashrc...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... c-local.md

Mike
I may misunderstand something here. If you try to autoboot a shell script and want to have focus on it in a Desktop environment then maybe you need you need to autostart a terminal session - not just the fruitbox binary? Here is how I start my bus-timetables application at boot. The terminal window will get the focus of the USB keyboard and mouse at startup.

/home/pi/startKivy.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/pi/RPi-InfoScreen-Kivy
/usr/bin/python main.py
/etc/xdb/autostart/RPI-InfoScreen.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=RPi-infoscreen
Comment=Kivy RPI Infoscreen
NoDisplay=false
Exec=/usr/bin/lxterminal -e /home/pi/startKivy.sh
NotShowIn=GNOME;KDE;XFCE;

pi-naise

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 am

I need your copy of the file ~/bashrc

fruitbox

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:32 am

pi-naise wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 am
I need your copy of the file ~/bashrc
Hi

Really sorry but the .bashrc which did the auto boot was part of my jukebox machine appearing in my videos, but unfortunately I no longer have it as I wiped it during development. It didn't seem important at the time because the changes to it were trivial. I haven't got around the bringing the box back to life since I've been developing the code on a different system (the Pi in my box is a model A with a HifiBerry Amp, so it lacks network and multiple USB, and needs modified audio drivers so it's not as easy to develop on).

As mentioned before the only changes I did to .bashrc was to add three lines at the end...from memory something like...

retrogame &
cd <fruitbox_directory>
./fruitbox --cfg <skin>
Karrika has raised an interesting point in the previous post however...are you running up the GUI? In my jukebox the Pi was booting straight to the command line...

Cheers
Mike

fruitbox

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:36 am

I may misunderstand something here. If you try to autoboot a shell script and want to have focus on it in a Desktop environment then maybe you need you need to autostart a terminal session - not just the fruitbox binary? Here is how I start my bus-timetables application at boot. The terminal window will get the focus of the USB keyboard and mouse at startup.

/home/pi/startKivy.sh:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/pi/RPi-InfoScreen-Kivy
/usr/bin/python main.py
/etc/xdb/autostart/RPI-InfoScreen.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=RPi-infoscreen
Comment=Kivy RPI Infoscreen
NoDisplay=false
Exec=/usr/bin/lxterminal -e /home/pi/startKivy.sh
NotShowIn=GNOME;KDE;XFCE;
Hi,

That sounds interesting...maybe that's causing the problems people are seeing. In my setup I boot straight to the command line...

Mike

bernyone

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am

fruitbox wrote:

Hi,

That sounds interesting...maybe that's causing the problems people are seeing. In my setup I boot straight to the command line...

Mike
Hi Mike

I disabled the gui and am booting to cmd which has sorted the keyboard issue but now the usb im storing my mp3s on is coming up permission denied....

I have mounted it but still cannot get fruitbox permission to access it

Any suggestions?

fruitbox

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 am

bernyone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am
fruitbox wrote:

Hi,

Mike
Hi Mike

I disabled the gui and am booting to cmd which has sorted the keyboard issue but now the usb im storing my mp3s on is coming up permission denied....

I have mounted it but still cannot get fruitbox permission to access it

Any suggestions?
You could try a couple if things...

Try running fruitbox with sudo...

sudo ./fruitbox --cfg <cfg file>
Or perhaps the usb directory mount doesn't have general read permissions...you may be able to change them...

sudo chmod +r /mnt/usb
Cheers,
Mike

bernyone

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 am

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 am

You could try a couple if things...

Try running fruitbox with sudo...

sudo ./fruitbox --cfg <cfg file>
Or perhaps the usb directory mount doesn't have general read permissions...you may be able to change them...

sudo chmod +r /mnt/usb
Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

Im just going to copy the mp3s to the sd card for now which should bypass the issue and when 1.4 is released ill spend more time nailling these little issues out

Cheers
Jon

bernyone

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Real quick question
Is there some way to view all the skins without actually installing them?

As much as i love the walljuke skin the writing is really small on my 7" touchscreen and the wife struggles to read the songs...

pi-naise

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Everything works without GUI, how to automate the connection "PI"?

thank you

fruitbox

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 pm

bernyone wrote:
Real quick question

As much as i love the walljuke skin the writing is really small on my 7" touchscreen and the wife struggles to read the songs...
Not really...when say install them do you just mean "run fruitbox with --cfg pointing at them"? If you installed fruitbox using the zip method described then this includes all the skins so no extra installation is needed.

If the text is too small for you, then you could try the "WallSmall" skin. Or you could modify the WallJuke fruitbox.cfg file to make the font bigger...

Cheers
Mike

bernyone

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:52 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 pm
bernyone wrote:
Real quick question

Not really...when say install them do you just mean "run fruitbox with --cfg pointing at them"? If you installed fruitbox using the zip method described then this includes all the skins so no extra installation is needed.

If the text is too small for you, then you could try the "WallSmall" skin. Or you could modify the WallJuke fruitbox.cfg file to make the font bigger...

Cheers
Mike
Ok mike ill have a play, thanks for all the help

alfarero

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Hello everyone and congratulations for the work
I have Fruitbox working properly and it works well with the keyboard
but I would like to add some buttons and connect them by GPIO or with some usb arcade interface.
someone could tell me how to do it thank you

https://http2.mlstatic.com/cableado-int ... 016-O.webp

https://http2.mlstatic.com/cableado-int ... 016-F.webp

fruitbox

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 pm

alfarero wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 pm
Hello everyone and congratulations for the work
I have Fruitbox working properly and it works well with the keyboard
but I would like to add some buttons and connect them by GPIO or with some usb arcade interface.
someone could tell me how to do it thank you

https://http2.mlstatic.com/cableado-int ... 016-O.webp

https://http2.mlstatic.com/cableado-int ... 016-F.webp
Hi,

If you want to use buttons connected to the GPIO pins then the current way is to use an external program called "Adafruit retrogame". This runs alongside fruitbox and converts GPIO to keyboard key codes, and fools fruitbox into thinking that the input is coming from the keyboard. You then simply have to connect each button between the GPIO pin you want and GND, and then modify the retrogame config file. There's a guide here...

https://learn.adafruit.com/retro-gamin ... retrogame

However, if you can wait a few days for the next release of fruitbox (version 1.4) then you don't need to use retrogame at all, since fruitbox will directly support GPIO input...you'll just have to tell it which buttons are connected to which GPIO inputs and it'll do the rest. Also in this release it should be able to handle input from USB controllers (joysticks) directly too :)

Cheers,
Mike

alfarero

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Great, thank you very much for such a quick response. I will wait anxiously for the new version to connect you buttons by GPIO, thank you very much for everything, wishing it to come out

alfarero

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm

:o As a suggestion it would be nice to add two buttons to increase or decrease the volume

fruitbox

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

alfarero wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm
:o As a suggestion it would be nice to add two buttons to increase or decrease the volume
fruitbox already has ... '-' = Vol down, '=' = Vol up.

for complete help, including keys, type

./fruitbox --user-guide | more
Mike

bernyone

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Fixed all the little bugs on the big jukebox this evening (still need keyboard hooked up for volume as i ran out of gpio pins lol)

Gave her a little spruce up with some new vinyl but the wife don't like the chrome so will change it when i find something suitable......

Quick vid
https://youtu.be/tZ0Qx4RUAZg

Once again i cant thank Mike enough for creating this fantastic bit of software

Jon

fruitbox

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Touch screen teaser for release 1.4 ...
TouchSeven.JPG
TouchSeven.JPG (105.3 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
Mike

OklahomaGreyBeard

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Touch screen teaser for release 1.4

Mike
Looks really good. Of course you know this requires the question, Any update on release time? :D

-mike

fruitbox

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:08 pm

OklahomaGreyBeard wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Touch screen teaser for release 1.4

Mike
Looks really good. Of course you know this requires the question, Any update on release time? :D

-mike
Yeah...should have seen that coming ;)

...I'll stick my neck out and say within the next couple of days...

Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”