drushtx

Capture HDMI output with BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 pm

We had a need to capture the Raspberry Pi boot process from the moment that power was applied until the boot process completed. The only way to do that is to take the HDMI output and capture it to another device. After the Pi is booted, it is a simple matter to screen capture with any of the popular screen recorder programs or to rdp to the Pi and capture it on the client machine.

After some fits and starts, we elected to go with the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle with the USB 3.0 interface. I'm not going to create an entire tutorial here, just the final configurations that we found to work for us. The settings that we used may not be the only ones that work - we have not yet tested every configuration but here's what we found. We used a Raspberry Pi 3 B with Pixel (did this in July 2017 so as this thread ages, the information may become inaccurate).

Download and install the BlackMagic Desktop Video Installer from the BlackMagic site. At the time of this project, the download was version 10.9.3.

Configure the Intensity Shuttle, the BlackMagic Media Express and the Raspberry Pi as follows.

Program: Desktop Video Setup
Video Input HDMI (auto selected if only HDMI input is connected)
Output Format – as desired – best bet 1080i60,
Select - Remove Field Jitter on Pause
Conversions – Input: None, Output: None

Program: Blackmagic Media Express
Edit > Preferences
Project Video Format: 1080i60
Capture File Format AVI 8-bit YUV
Capture from a YUV source (should be selected and grayed out)
Select capture paths
Uncheck:
Stop capture if dropped frames are detected
Stop playback if dropped frames are detected
Use Anamorphic SD 16:9
Continue playback when in the background

Set deck to _5_ second pre-roll for cueing
When capturing us a _0_ frame timecode offset
Wen mastering us a _0_ frame timecode offset

Raspberry Pi
/boot/config.txt

In the overscan area:

Code: Select all

disable_overscan=1
In the hdmi settings area:

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_pixel_encoding=3
hdmi_mode=5
If you're going to record for a long time, screen blanking can be a problem. Install the screen saver, then disable it (I know, weird but that's the way it's currently handled).

Video captures are huge! If you capture enough video for screen blanking to be a problem, you probably require access to one heck of a storage array. Our first test was a one minute, seventeen second capture that took over 9GB. We imported into our editor and rendered it out to be of a more manageable (re storage) size.

I'll be happy to answer questions if I can.

johncoates

Re: Capture HDMI output with BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:01 am

Thanks for posting all this information!

I had nonstop flickering on my Thunderbolt edition Shuttle, so I modified the hdmi_mode and set it to 34 which is 1080p 30Hz, and that fixed it.

drgeoff

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm

drushtx wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 pm
We had a need to capture the Raspberry Pi boot process from the moment that power was applied until the boot process completed. The only way to do that is to take the HDMI output and capture it to another device.
Did you try booting with output directed to the serial port? https://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection

Or using the composite video output connected to a DVD recorder?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

drushtx

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Serial port output wasn't sufficient because we wanted to capture the rainbow splash, the ras pi icon and the "underpower" lighting bolt for a number of the labs we recorded. Composite out doesn't have acceptable resolution for our project.
We are thoroughly satisfied with the hdmi capture using the Intensity Shuttle.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”