Fermars

Remote listen audio

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am

Hi everyone,

I wanted to use Raspberry at home to monitor remote audio from work. I found this:
https://blog.mutsuda.com/raspberry-pi-i ... .iv9cgjoj0

Raspberry has already a microphone and I can hear sounds in my local network with:
arecord -D plughw:1,0 -f dat | aplay -f dat

But the remote PC at work is Windows with Putty and Xming, running on a local network without public Internet IP.
I can open a tunnel + X11 forwarding to navigate securely, opening X11 software in my Windows PC... but I do not know how to redirect the captured audio through the tunnel using arecord/aplay as mentioned to hear it on my Windows PC.

Do you have any idea how to do it?

Thank you.

marcoscarno

Re: Remote listen audio

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:13 am

Ciao,
I just published in the forum a small application that can be used for your purposes. My Raspberry is at home and has a public IP. From my office, without a public IP, I can connect to the Raspberry and listen or, more generally, do a voip call.
Have a look at:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=173441

flatmax

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:43 pm

One way to do it is using the rtp from avconv.
RTP stands for real time protocol and by using avconv you can cast rtp directly over the network. You can use a myriad of rtp compatible players on Microsoft or Linux. The trick would be to translate through the network ... however that can be accomplished with an ssh tunnel.

Three things to research to do this are the following :
1] How to tunnel over ssh (can be done in putty on Microsoft)
2] An example of casting rtp using avconv
3] An example of playing rtp using your favourite player.

Matt
Discuss hearing, acoustics, audio injector products, - https://lists.audioinjector.net/mailman/listinfo/people
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card

Fermars

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:47 am

Thank you for your answers.

I have to reinstall Raspbian on my brand new Raspberry PI and when it will be up and running I will try test your suggestions.
Anyway, I already have a tunnel opened with my Windows system at work with PuTTY, I make use of this feature to browse the web securely configuring my Firefox by go through a Proxy using my home Internet connection. Main question is if I can use this tunnel with PuTTY to redirect sounds from my Raspberry at home to my Windows PC at work.

Regards!

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”