kjciszewski

Cirrus Logic Audio Card

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:58 am

I just noticed that MCM indicates the Cirrus Logic Audio Card (the later version with the 40 pin interface connector) is no longer manufactured. There are a few available at Adafruit and on ebay.

Does anyone know what Cirrus Logic's plans are going forward for an audio card for Raspberry PI?

Synthcube was selling a card using WM8751, but it's not clear that there is a compatible Raspian driver.

Any thoughts?

teratech

Re: Cirrus Logic Audio Card

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:01 am

Recently I got the Pi 3 with Cirrus Logic Audio Card running with Darkice as a live audio streamer. I thought, 'great, time to order a few more cards'. This is when I discovered the card had been discontinued. :(

What brought me to this posting was my search for more cards and the reason why it was discontinued. I have been unable to find any formal information from Cirrus Logic for this decision. My years as a computer product developer allows me a perspective to give an opinion as to what happened.

I feel the card hardware is solid. Cirrus obtained the card design from Wolfson and updated it to work with the Pi 2 and 3 (the 40 pin connector). They also added obscure features like microphone power. As most everyone that worked with this card knows, the problem was the software support.

A lead product support programmer at Cirrus had the responsibility for the software, this card needed, to work with the Raspi. This programmer was paid to ensure that the card would function properly but did not do their job. So rather then fire this incompetent programmer, management decided to kill the project and promote the programmer.

The correct software solution for this card would have been for this programmer to focus on getting the updates required for this card into the main Raspbian development stream so the card would be truly be a Plug N Play product. This approach would have been beneficial for card sales and users.

Another thing that most likely played into the card being killed is the many users who became frustrated with the difficulty to get the card functioning and took to the Internet to vent their frustration. At one point I was so frustrated with getting the card to work that I almost did the same thing.

I am walking away from this experience with the attitude of not to beat up a product just because the software is frustrating. If I can't positively support a Linux hardware adapter because of software/device driver issues, I will not publically attack the product or the manufacture. I will contact the manufacture directly and tell them their product programmer that is being paid to make their product work is not doing their job.

At this point I believe this card is gone and it will be sometime if ever before a comparable product will be available. For now I think the best thing I can do is to add my name to the 'Notify Me' list on Adafruit to be notified if the card were to become available again. Additionally I will send a message to Cirrus Logic just to let them know that if the card were available, I would purchase a couple of them.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=cirrus%20logic&

If I find a place to upload the image I have working with the Pi 3, Cirrus audio card and Darkice, I would make it available to all.

Alimac6

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:44 am

I'm upset this card is no longer available having built an actual product and custom enclosure for it....
I hope it comes back ASAP

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:23 am

It looks like it's finally been discontinued. The hardware was always excellent, their software / drivers support for it was absolutely abysmal.

http://iqaudio.co.uk/ https://www.hifiberry.com/ & https://www.justboom.co/product-categor ... io-boards/ all have a range of replacement audio boards.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

TimG

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Although Cirrus Logic conspicuously failed to support their product, there has been some excellent work done by Matthias Reichl. His updated driver is now included in the official 4.9 kernel, so installation has become incredibly easy -- just an 'rpi-update', a line in config.txt, and a line in /etc/modules.

It's ironic that hardware production has ceased just when software support finally improved.

For anybody that has a Cirrus Logic audio board already, take a look at http://www.horus.com/~hias/cirrus-driver.html

ghans

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:35 am

Wasn't the whole problem that the driver wasn't upstreamed from the beginning ?
I remember that they were promoting downloading their binary "images" to make
that thing work.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am

ghans wrote:Wasn't the whole problem that the driver wasn't upstreamed from the beginning ?
I remember that they were promoting downloading their binary "images" to make
that thing work.
That was the main problem. Then their images never tracked the mainstream kernel, then they stopped doing the software stuff. At the moment my Raspberry 1B with the Wolfson card is stuck on a 4.1.6 kernel.
MQTT Evangelist

ghans

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I guess the driver was in kernelmode ? Did they adhere to the GPL ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 pm

ghans wrote:I guess the driver was in kernelmode ? Did they adhere to the GPL ?
It's a long time ago, but I have built a kernel from source with Wolfson patches in the past. I don't care two hoots about GPL.
MQTT Evangelist

bantammenace2012

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:09 pm

AFAIK this and the Wolfson variant were the only audio cards integrated microphones (they may still be for all I know).
I've bought a few over the years and once I've got them working they have been rock solid. They were the future once.
Now how do I get one working with a PiZeroW to act as a remote listening and viewing station ?

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 am

You're going to have to start with the 4.4.50 kernel (which is required for the PiZW) and integrate the Wolfson/Cirrus code into there yourself. Best of luck with that.
MQTT Evangelist

TimG

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:39 am

I don't have a ZeroW yet, but try the official 4.9 kernel. Just run rpi-update -- no patching or compiling needed. See the link in my message above.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:46 am

If that kernel is more than a month old it won't have the stuff needed to boot in a PiZW.
MQTT Evangelist

TimG

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 am

Currently rpi-update gets you a v4.9.14 kernel from 3 days ago, and I'm running it right now on a B+ with a Cirrus audio card. I'd be quite surprised if it didn't work with the Zero-W, as this is the official testing kernel.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 pm

OK. That's the current testing kernel available with rpi-update.

Just tried that on my old RPi1B with the Wolfson card. The device names change but the RPICirrus driver looks like it's loaded and OK. It's now running 4.9.14+ #977
MQTT Evangelist

caerandir

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Ooooh, I already had lost all hope that my Wolfson card would ever be supported by the official kernel and had written it of as wasted money, vowing to never buy anything again from element14... Just stumbled across this thread! Thanks 1000 times to Matthias "Hias" Reichl for creating the driver! Only did a very quick test yet, but seems to work!

Thanks again!

Cearandir

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Mine has been running for 111 days since 16th March.

pi@ranger ~ $ uname -a
Linux ranger 4.9.14+ #977 Mon Mar 13 18:21:04 GMT 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux
pi@ranger ~ $ uptime
22:47:17 up 111 days, 8:47, 1 user, load average: 0.88, 0.47, 0.20
pi@ranger ~ $ uptime -s
2017-03-16 13:00:16
pi@ranger ~ $

Next scheduled update and reboot is Friday, 16th March 2018.
MQTT Evangelist

caerandir

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Now that my euphoria has subsided a little bit :-), I am starting to think about actually putting the sound card to work. One thing that bothers me is the pin-incompatibility with the 40 pin header - it would be really nice if I could use the Wolfson on my media center, and that really benefits from the four cores of the current Raspberry model. Looking around a bit on the internet, the P5 header pins are available on the 40 pin header. So naïve as I usually am, I'd think I'd just solder a cable that connects all changed pins to the correct locations on the 40 pin header and should be fine. Has anyone done this before? I could not find anything on the 'net...

Any thoughts before I heat up my iron?

[Edit]Was wrong - the P5 pins are not available on the 40 pin header :-( So does not seem as easy as I thought... But since the 40 pin header actually holds all necessary functions, I'll think about if it still may work... Weekend project found :-)[/Edit]

habropoda

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 am

People are using the Wolfson on 40 pin Pi's. Look at the posts before and after this one:
https://www.element14.com/community/mes ... ard#217489

I have not tried it. Get out that iron!

DougieLawson

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:25 am

Some of the pins on the missing P5 header (on 26 pin RPis) got moved to the 40pin header. You're going to need to find a way to connect those to the Wolfson card. Then you'll need to rewrite the device tree blob to use the new GPIO numbers.
MQTT Evangelist

caerandir

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:33 am

Hi habropoda,

thanks for pointing me to that post. Obviously I was not able to Google this myself :-) And the Element14 forum and me never got along too well...

Actually, yesterday I burned the midnight oil and soldered an adapter which does in principle exactly what's described in the post (the "piggyback" board), but for me it did not work. I've written Hias for help, which I now see was not necessary. I guess I've made some mistake and need to debug. Will have a closer look this weekend.

Thanks again!

- Caeandir

[Edit]And indeed, I mixed up two wires. Card works now on 40 pins *yay* - /me is happy :-)[/Edit]
Last edited by caerandir on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pebo

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:53 am

http://iqaudio.co.uk/ https://www.hifiberry.com/ & https://www.justboom.co/product-categor ... io-boards/ all have a range of replacement audio boards.[/quote]

But none with audio in :( . There are lots of I2S DAC boards for the Raspberry available but only very few I2S ADC Boards. I know of just 4 (Cirrus, 2 made by AudioInjector and the coming Blokas pisound). Any other? Preferably with just 2 inputs and 2 outputs, 24 bit, >= 96 kHz sample rate and > 90 dB THD.

caerandir

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am

I was actually hoping that the Voice HAT became mass-available, assuming that it would have an ADC, but from this here: https://www.element14.com/community/com ... i-teardown I now learn that there is no ADC, it's just digital MEMS microphones :-( One more reason to be really happy that the Wolfson is now really howling :-)

yodakohl

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:29 pm

@bantammenace2012

I had the same problem and I'm currently creating a Hat for the Pi Zero with microphones.
You can see a preview at http://www.nyumaya.com

borisd

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:54 am

Hi there,

I can buy your Cirrus Logic audio card (the one that has been discontinued).

Ping me at boris@orelia.fr if you are interested and if you have any

Best

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”