wilk

raspberry mpd and flac

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi,

I'm considering using a raspberry pi as a music player using mpd. The setup would be the following :

* a NAS hosting the music encoded as flac

* the music would be accessed by the mpd client running on a Dreamplug over Ethernet or wifi (I'm not sure the bandwidth in a wifi setup would be enough for serving flac files)

* I wouldn't use the internal sound card but rather a DAC like this one (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx) feeding a hifi amp. By the way, I know that this DAC works with Ubuntu but how could I make sure that it's working with the default Debian OS of the raspberry ?

Would the raspberry pi have enough power to decode the flac files ?

Thanks for your input.

Julien.

lintweaker

Re: raspberry mpd and flac

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm

The raspberry pi does not have any problems decoding FLAC files, even highres ones. You could however experience some crackles when using MPD with a USB audio device. With the latest kernel (#278) this is greatly improved but the pi kernel/firmware needs a bit more work to get all the kinks out.

wilk

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:17 pm

lintweaker wrote:The raspberry pi does not have any problems decoding FLAC files, even highres ones. You could however experience some crackles when using MPD with a USB audio device. With the latest kernel (#278) this is greatly improved but the pi kernel/firmware needs a bit more work to get all the kinks out.
Are there any such problems using the on board audio ? By the way, is mpd included in the default images ?

Also I'm completely new to the raspberry world (though I've been using linux for 10 years or so). What does #278 refer to ? Where can I get a SD image with this kernel on it ?

Thanks for your help.

clog

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 pm

In another thread I posted this:
I have two Dac's, the Terratec Aureon dual USB and the ODAC by Nwavguy. On my Raspi I run Raspbian with the latest updates and the latest firmware. It's running headless. Power is delivered by an Ipad loader. On Raspbian I installed MPD (Music Player Daemon) and ALSA. As Controller I use an IPAD with the MPAD app. At 16 bits 44100 khz and playing mp3 and Flac files sound is fine from both Terratec and ODAC. The ODAC is the better DAC. But nonetheless the Terratec does a good job without disturbing noise or distortion. The ODAC is a 24 bits DAC. When I configure MPD for 24 bits, the output of the ODAC is distorted, not very pleasant to listen to. At this moment the RASPI seems unable to cope with the enhanced data rate of 24 bits output. This is possibly related to the USB problems of the RASPI. As a side Note, on my NAS (a Synology 411 Slim with ARM processor !!) I also run MPD. Even Hires files play without problems.

wilk

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am

clog wrote:I have two Dac's, the Terratec Aureon dual USB and the ODAC by Nwavguy.
That's funny I was also considering buying an ODAC. Do you find it significantly better than the Terratec Aureon ?

When I configure MPD for 24 bits, the output of the ODAC is distorted, not very pleasant to listen to. At this moment the RASPI seems unable to cope with the enhanced data rate of 24 bits output.
My music files are ripped from CD (16bit) , so I guess 24 bit doesn't add to the quality.
As a side Note, on my NAS (a Synology 411 Slim with ARM processor !!) I also run MPD. Even Hires files play without problems.
I've just bought the same NAS for serving the flac files to the raspi. I guess I'll copy a lot from your configuration.

clog

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:20 pm

wilk wrote:
That's funny I was also considering buying an ODAC. Do you find it significantly better than the Terratec Aureon ?
Yes definitely. The ODAC is more detailed, has a sparkling midrange and smooth highs. But costs 5 times as much as the Terratec.
wilk wrote:
My music files are ripped from CD (16bit) , so I guess 24 bit doesn't add to the quality.
Well yes and no. If you wish to control the volume from your pc or phone/tablet you have to take into account that at anything less than maximum volume you get less than 16 bits resolution. With the ODAC you can configure MPD for 24 bits output (your 16 bits signal will be padded with zeros). This way reducing the volume from your player software means no loss in resolution.
wilk wrote:
I've just bought the same NAS for serving the flac files to the raspi. I guess I'll copy a lot from your configuration.
That's ok by me. For now the Raspi can't replace my Syno as music player. As I said 16 bits 44100 khz files sound ok, but 24 bits are distorted. I hope that the Raspi USB problems will be solved soon. For now they are getting dusty.

GG71

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi All,

have somebody successful tested a M2TECH HiFace TWO ( http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online...ifiers.htm ) @RPi?

I'm also looking for a solution for HighRes audio rendering, based on the RPi.
To date I have tested [email protected](wheezy) for playing flac from NAS.
WiFi access is working also fine, but only with additional power supply at the usb-hub.
Playing audio over a MATRIX mini-i ( https://www.google.com/search?q=matrix+mini& ) connected over the same usb-hub, is possible but the resolution over usb is limited by the MATRIX to 44.1kHz/48kHz.
MDP playing flac up to 96/[email protected] without dropout\faliure, beginning at 192/24 no more clear and with dropout.

BTW: raspbmc and openElec make many problems (freezing, lost usb devices, etc.).
Ciao:
GG ;-)

coffde

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:03 pm

In response to the concern about processing flac files over wi-fi.. I have had my setup running for several months and have never encountered any dropouts, pauses etc...... I mount the directory containing my music files via SAMBA. The NAS itself is a Iomega Home Media Center.
In regards to the DAC I have a Firestone Audio Foobar II. This device has never given me any issues. When I first connected it to the Pi it was recognized immediately and has worked w/o issue since.
Nothing fancy, good sound and rock solid. I hate having to play sysadmin on this stuff!

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”