fredfs

Raspberry Pi DAC (Hifiberry, PiFi Dac, and others).

Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:58 am

Hello.
I am looking for some advice on what is a good DAC for the Raspberry Pi.
The cheapest I can find, is the chinese " Pifi DAC" wich is supossed to work with the same drivers the Hifiberry works.
Any one had the oportunity to test it? Are they worth?

Second there are the Hifiberry, wich seems to have a good support form the manufacturer.
Here, my question if about the pro vs light difference.
My goal is to listen to music, and I dont care for chip sound volume control

Other than these 2, what else there is? It seems Wolfenson card is outdated already, I also found a very expensive DAC for the pi, wich XLR outputs, wich is not my use case.

Thakns

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi DAC (Hifiberry, PiFi Dac, and others).

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:20 am

fredfs wrote:Hello.
I am looking for some advice on what is a good DAC for the Raspberry Pi.
The cheapest I can find, is the chinese " Pifi DAC" wich is supossed to work with the same drivers the Hifiberry works.
Any one had the oportunity to test it? Are they worth?

Second there are the Hifiberry, wich seems to have a good support form the manufacturer.
My goal is to listen to music, and I dont care for chip sound volume control

Other than these 2, what else there is? It seems Wolfenson card is outdated already, I also found a very expensive DAC for the pi, wich XLR outputs, wich is not my use case.

Thakns
http://www.iqaudio.co.uk
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

fredfs

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Courious about what are the differences between HifiBerry, PIFI and IQaudIO dac, if any

karrika

Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:49 pm

I actually got this Wolfenson new variant called Cirrus Logic Audio Card. The reason was that it contained built-in microphones on the board. It also had both analog and digital outputs and inputs.

My setup is still half-way so I do not know how well it performs. But the card is cheap when you look at what is in there.

fruit-uk

Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:57 pm

I have an original Wolfson on a Pi B.
It performs very well but there is absolutely no support for it - or its successor, the Cirrus

The B will probably be stuck with its current kernel version for ever more now :(

PMI

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:44 pm

fredfs wrote:... Second there are the Hifiberry, wich seems to have a good support form the manufacturer.
My goal is to listen to music, and I dont care for chip sound volume control...
The HiFBerry DAC+ Pro has an additional feature designed to keep audio distortion due to clock jitter to an absolute minimum. Basically, the circuit board includes its own clock circuit. In general jitter distortion is not an issue in most modern D/A conversion schemes (although I have not seen any actual measurements done with a Pi as a source). An audiophile with a very high-end system, the kind that usually comes with a set of speakers costing over $10K, or custom/DIY speakers, would probably want to keep any potential source of distortion to an absolute minimum, but in typical listening with a conventional amplifier and set of speakers, it is not likely to make a difference.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”