Ktbr

Raspberry pi as FLAC audio player (with screen)

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:30 am

Hi,
I have been doing somme research on the internet to find a way to use a raspberry pi as an audio player, with a USB DAC connected to it and a hard drive to read FLAC files on it. I would like to use the raspberry pi as a silent computer alternative to read these flac files, with a screen, keyboard and mouse connected to it. My problem is that the only Linux distributions made for HiFi audio playing are made to be headless, meaning you have to use an other device (like a tablet or smartphone) to control the files you want the RPI to play. Like I said before, I want to control the files I want to be played directly from the RPI (on the screen connected to it). Is there any solution for that ? I'm currently using Musicbee on a Windows PC do read audio files and I just want to do the same thing with a totally silent device, and maybe a device faster than a PC to start (that's why I thought of the RPI).
Thanks a lot :)

Gswg

Re: Raspberry pi as FLAC audio player (with screen)

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi, one issue has been the many different screen options which could be attached to the Pi. This has fragmented the development community IMHO.

Now we have the official 7" Raspberry Pi display with tough input so now we have the basic standard platform for such developments to start. I would suggest you contact some of the headless solution providers and let them know what you (and others) would be looking for. I'd suggest tim @ moodeaudio.org would be a good starting point.

All our audio cards support and can power the 7" display without additional soldering.

Best regards,

[email protected]

LittleJoe

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:42 am

I would use MPD (well, I'm actually using it in my setup) and install ympd on the side. (A very lightweight webserver/MPD client.) You would then simply point the Pi's browser to localhost in order to queue/play/pause MPD. In fact, a web-based interface has the advantage that you could access it from whatever screen you wanted. Touchscreen/screen-and-keyboard-combo, or remote, it doesn't matter. You could (but don't have to) approach the ympd interface from other computers (including smartphones) on your network.
Installing MPD is described many times online, and shouldn't be too hard. ympd's a bit less well-known but it didn't take me too long to get it up and running either.
But there's no need to develop anything, and it would be just as easy to work with as any media player on a pc.

gychang

Sat May 14, 2016 11:57 pm

I have tried runeaudio, volumio, musicbox, and finally moode audio. I am a rather a novice and had most success with moode audio, seems to work fine, with flac files stored in microSD card in RP2 and usb stick. Just my experience...

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”