6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 am

Tanner1pl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:28 pm
Hello, I have an issue which might be a bug - tested on both Auvidea B101/3b+ and B102/Zero with two blackmagic camers - Pocket 4K and Micro Cinema Camera. I assume hardware works good, as other video sources are captured properly.

My issue - video captured has broken colors - like way too much green and pink.
Colors are fine when I use different camera or any other video source - so B101 and B102 are fine. Also, when I connect these blackmagic cameras to TV - they works good. Also many hdmi cables tested.

Looks more like TC358743 doesn't recognize format/config of video coming from blackmagic - it sends clear 10bit [email protected] 4.2.2 video which can be recorded using external recorder. Looks very similar (if not exactly) like issue with YCrCb vs RGBFull pixel formatting. Has anyone faced this issue and found solution? :)

Code: Select all

raspivid -t 5000 -w 1920 -h 1080 -fps 25 -o test.h264
Zrzut-ekranu-2019-08-18-o-21.12.59.jpg

While image coming out from camera is fine, like here on preview LCD or when I connect monitor/TV to camera.
68800270_360682631267652_8322857960573239296_n.jpg
As per the message that comes up whenever you run raspivid with a B101 connected.
The driver for the TC358743 HDMI to CSI2 chip you are using is NOT supported.
They were written for a demo purposes only, and are in the firmware on an as-is
basis and therefore requests for support or changes will not be acted on.
The Linux kernel drivers for this board are the only supported configuration.

AFAIK 10bit YUV is not supported by the chip on the board, therefore there is unlikely to be a solution. The cameras should read the EDID provided by the board (or user) and select an output format that is supported by the HDMI sink. If it is selecting a 10bit format then either the EDID is wrong, or it's not parsing it correctly.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

6by9

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:19 am

manmathan74 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:56 am
Hi All,
Can someone help? I am trying to get the B101 v4 board to work on Pi 3b+ but am lost with so many point on this forum. Is there a step by step on this board?

Thanks,
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1339178
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Tanner1pl

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:08 am

6by9 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 am
Tanner1pl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:28 pm
Hello, I have an issue which might be a bug - tested on both Auvidea B101/3b+ and B102/Zero with two blackmagic camers - Pocket 4K and Micro Cinema Camera. I assume hardware works good, as other video sources are captured properly.

My issue - video captured has broken colors - like way too much green and pink.
Colors are fine when I use different camera or any other video source - so B101 and B102 are fine. Also, when I connect these blackmagic cameras to TV - they works good. Also many hdmi cables tested.

Looks more like TC358743 doesn't recognize format/config of video coming from blackmagic - it sends clear 10bit [email protected] 4.2.2 video which can be recorded using external recorder. Looks very similar (if not exactly) like issue with YCrCb vs RGBFull pixel formatting. Has anyone faced this issue and found solution? :)

Code: Select all

raspivid -t 5000 -w 1920 -h 1080 -fps 25 -o test.h264
Zrzut-ekranu-2019-08-18-o-21.12.59.jpg

While image coming out from camera is fine, like here on preview LCD or when I connect monitor/TV to camera.
68800270_360682631267652_8322857960573239296_n.jpg
As per the message that comes up whenever you run raspivid with a B101 connected.
The driver for the TC358743 HDMI to CSI2 chip you are using is NOT supported.
They were written for a demo purposes only, and are in the firmware on an as-is
basis and therefore requests for support or changes will not be acted on.
The Linux kernel drivers for this board are the only supported configuration.

AFAIK 10bit YUV is not supported by the chip on the board, therefore there is unlikely to be a solution. The cameras should read the EDID provided by the board (or user) and select an output format that is supported by the HDMI sink. If it is selecting a 10bit format then either the EDID is wrong, or it's not parsing it correctly.

Thank you for your answer. Actually I didn't provide any custom EDID in configuration, so board is sending something default to camera. But here is tricky part, I am pretty sure these blackmagic's hdmi output is fixed, as it can be used for external recorder, they don't provide anything else than 10bit 1080p @ fps same as shooting. And yeah, these cameras don't work with few cheap/old screens, that would make sense.

What I am thinking now, maybe some middle-device would help, like hdmi downscaller or something that could read video from blackmagic and output it in less strict format.

6by9

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 am

Tanner1pl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:08 am
Thank you for your answer. Actually I didn't provide any custom EDID in configuration, so board is sending something default to camera. But here is tricky part, I am pretty sure these blackmagic's hdmi output is fixed, as it can be used for external recorder, they don't provide anything else than 10bit 1080p @ fps same as shooting. And yeah, these cameras don't work with few cheap/old screens, that would make sense.

What I am thinking now, maybe some middle-device would help, like hdmi downscaller or something that could read video from blackmagic and output it in less strict format.
Something will always be providing an EDID. In your case it will be the firmware (using the unsupported driver).
Ignoring the EDID is a tad annoying, but nothing much that can be done about it.

I suspect one of the Kramer switchers will do the appropriate down conversion for you. They don't come cheap though (unless you're buying older ones off Ebay as I have been).
There is an updated version of the TC358743 chip that does support up to 4k30 - the TC358840. I haven't seen any discussion of drivers for it, nor boards that use it, and it potentially has some very odd formatting of the data across two CSI2 interfaces. The product brief doesn't list 10bit support either, so it may not be supported even there.

Tanner1pl

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 am
Something will always be providing an EDID. In your case it will be the firmware (using the unsupported driver).
Ignoring the EDID is a tad annoying, but nothing much that can be done about it.

I suspect one of the Kramer switchers will do the appropriate down conversion for you. They don't come cheap though (unless you're buying older ones off Ebay as I have been).
There is an updated version of the TC358743 chip that does support up to 4k30 - the TC358840. I haven't seen any discussion of drivers for it, nor boards that use it, and it potentially has some very odd formatting of the data across two CSI2 interfaces. The product brief doesn't list 10bit support either, so it may not be supported even there.

Thank you, very appreciated. I've got response from Auvidea, they confirmed as below. So now, last thing that could work (before converter) would be use prepared EEID and only if blackmagic camera could switch to 8bit output, then I would be fine.
we are not exactly sure what the problem could be since we’ve never performed any tests with Blackmagic cameras, but our best guess would be that 10bit color depth is not supported on our chip, so if you could change the output somehow to 8bit, maybe that would fix it then.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”