zog

XServer problem ?

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:52 pm

I have managed to install Repetier-Host for 3D printing on a raspberry pi II model B.
The software crashes when I access it on the pi itself, but if I access it under X11 from a windows machine running XMing it works.
I think the software uses an X11 graphics server to draw the 3D models. The Repetier host software is written with mono. I also managed to install mono 3.12 from sourcecode on my raspberry pi 2.
I am a bit flummoxed as to why the software should run with an XServer on a remote windows machine and it crashes locally on the pi II.
Curiously the software also fails when I use my old net book with windows 7 installed on it.
Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going ?

Thanks Jack

_BenDover_

Re: XServer problem ?

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:50 pm

You are indeed right, and that's really weird. It also works with if you ssh and forward from a Linux machine, not only from Windows.

Thanks for you question, I will look into this, I kinda gave up trying to run Repetier-Host on Raspberry PI, until now. :D

If I find any progress, I will let you know.

zog

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Your post prompted me to have a another stab at getting Repetier Host to run on a pi2.
I am running the Jessie distro of raspbian

I can report preliminary success! :D

I have the new version of Repetier Host ( 1.5.3 )running on my raspi2 as I have only just achieved this I haven't hooked it up to my 3D printer, but the main thing is it doesn't crash straight away.

The nub of the problem for both versions is that Repetier Host requires a video mode with a bit depth of at least 24 or 32 bits per pixel.

To do this you need to add a line to /boot/config.txt under.

#framebuffer_height
framebuffer_depth=32

I think this should allow both version or repetier host to run.

Getting Version 1.5.3 to run was a bit more involved as it involves building the latest version of mono from scratch a long and tedious process.

sudo bash
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Then Install Mono for linux using the instructions found here for a debian system remember to install the gdiplus stuff as well

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gettin ... all/linux/

Once you have mono installed type mono -- version
you should get a mono version of 3 point something this mono version is to low to run Repetier Host version 1.5.3 but is okay for the previous version 1.0.6
If you wish to run Reptier Host version 1.0.6 just download it and follow the install instructions AND STOP HERE

and if your a brave fool continue down this path!

If you want to use the new version you need to get the new version of mono
I followed this, but ran into problems

Ref
https://neildanson.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... ard-float/

apt-get update

You will need git, libtool and libtool-bin, mono-complete and automakeif you don't have them installed type

apt-get install git libtool libtool-bin mono-complete automake

We now need to fetch the mono reposity from the git server warning this is a big down load

cd /home/<your dir>

git clone git://github.com/mono/mono.git

and go away and have a cup of tea

once it has finished doing this in order to get mono to compile we need some to get some sub modules.

cd /home/<your dir>/mono
git submodule init
git submodule update
./autogen.sh –prefix=/usr/local –enable-nls=no
make -j3 ( and now wait for up to 6 hours)
and hopefully there won't be any errors
make install ( and wait about an hour )

then type mono --version

and then you should get the following dump note the version should be 4.3

Mono JIT compiler version 4.3.0 (tarball Sun 19 Jul 18:48:52 BST 2015)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. http://www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: normal
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: armel,vfp+hard
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: sgen

Fetch the new version of repetier host from here
http://www.repetier.com/downloads/#l
and follow the installation instructions

_BenDover_

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Ok, so I managed to get it working on standard Raspbian Wheezy, with some patience and coffee. These are the exact steps I followed:

1. Fresh install of Raspbian Wheezy

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
2. Install mono from default repository (if you don't, you can't install the new version)

$ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
At this point you should have mono 3.2.something. In order to compile and install the latest version,
you will need at least mono 3.8.x. (in particular mono-mcs) already installed on your system.

$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4+rpi1)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       normal
        Architecture:  armel,vfp+hard
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen
3. Add new repository and install the updated version

$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
$ echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
$ echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy-apache24-compat main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
$ echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy-libjpeg62-compat main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install mono-devel
..(this should give you some dependency warnings, just ignore them and let it do its thing)

At this point, you should have mono 4.x.something.

$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.2 (Stable 4.0.2.5/c99aa0c Wed Jun 24 10:33:52 UTC 2015)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       normal
        Architecture:  armel,vfp+hard
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen
4. Install latest mono from git

$ sudo apt-get install git libtool automake
$ git clone git://github.com/mono/mono.git && cd mono (this takes like 10 minutes)
$ git submodule init && git submodule update
$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local --enable-nls=no
This is the moment when you should start praying to work.

$ sudo make -j4 
4 jobs may be a bit harsh and heat the CPU, you could use 3, my CPU is clocked at 1 GHz with a small heatsink on top

$ sudo make install
The above steps took around one hour.

Reboot, download latest version of Repetier-Host from the site and install.

However, it doesn't appear to use the GPU for rendering at all. The moves of 3D objects is pretty sluggish, and also you can see in the app startup log that it's using software rendering.

Maybe we can find a way to make it use the GPU for 3D renders.

I will post here the progress. Have fun.

Beni

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”