shawnanastasio

Youtube HTML5 Working on Debian.

Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Hello,

I am the happy owner of a Raspberry Pi, running the recommended Debian OS. I have been looking for ways to watch Youtube Videos on my RasPi, but none of the browsers for Debian supported HTML5, or so I thought. I Downloaded chromium (sudo apt-get install chromium-browser), Went to http://youtube.com/html5 and turned it on. I was able to play video and sound, but it was unbearably slow. Just posted because I wasn't sure if anyone else tried this before.

--Shawn

Dapa

Re: Youtube HTML5 Working on Debian.

Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

In addition, Raspbmc (http://www.raspbmc.com) should be able to play the majority of YouTube videos (with a plug-in, I think?)

Xero Xenith

Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Dapa wrote:In addition, Raspbmc (http://www.raspbmc.com) should be able to play the majority of YouTube videos (with a plug-in, I think?)
They do play and they play well, but I've found the plugin to be pretty slow. (i.e. it takes ages to search etc, but once it's playing it's fine.)

al67

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

with debian i386 running good with iceweasal browser in conjunction with a last version of java-machine (jre) linked against a /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/etc.. where are situed a .so file chmod a+x [nomefiledownoaded] from java sun.
i have not tryed anymore with rasperry pi but i' almost shure that run as well !!

ghans

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:11 am

??
The HTML5 video issue has nothing to do with Java at all.
AFAIK the problem is that everything is decoded in software , which is slow
as a tortoise on the Pi. The hardware accelerated gstreamer pipeline is pretty bad ('round 4
fps if i remember correctly) and 1) has not been enabled in any browser so far 2) and not been
debugged to provide USABLE performance.
Just to make it clear : the Pi (even the older 256 MB models) is perfectly up to the job,
but the software has not been written.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ghans

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 am

To anyone who wants to watch youtube on Rasbian :
Try raspytube or whitey. Works way better than everything else.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”