cluscombe

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:26 am

From the Userguide:

4.2: --cfg <filename>

This option determines which configuration file (skin) is used.

emspi

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 pm

cluscombe wrote:
From the Userguide:

Thanks. I saw that but don't know how to change it. The sd image file I suspect uses the skin chooser described in section 4.13

4.13: --choose-cfg <filename>

This option allows the user to choose a configuration file (skin) from a menu when fruitbox starts up, rather than specifying it

using the '--cfg' command line option.

Where and how do I modify this, for example with the Modern skin? Some editing of a configuration file? Go easy please. This command line stuff is new to me. Thanks,

rivington

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi, I am using SortSongsBy with a Custom sort using the TSOT ID3 tag. I numbered my tracks in the order I would like them to appear but it is sorting alphanumerically rather than numerically. For example my desired sort order is 1,2,3,10,200,300, etc. Instead the sort behaves like this: 1,10,2,200,3,300. Is there any easy way to force a numeric sort on this column without retagging my files?

Cuda360

Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:41 pm

Hey Guys just wondering how to tag my songs.. Because for some reason fruitbox dose not see all of my songs .. When it builds the fruitbox.db file it dose see them all but when that's done and it boots fully I don't see all of my songs when I scroll through the jukebox..

fruitbox

Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:00 am

rivington wrote:
Hi, I am using SortSongsBy with a Custom sort using the TSOT ID3 tag. I numbered my tracks in the order I would like them to appear but it is sorting alphanumerically rather than numerically. For example my desired sort order is 1,2,3,10,200,300, etc. Instead the sort behaves like this: 1,10,2,200,3,300. Is there any easy way to force a numeric sort on this column without retagging my files?
Hi

In the skin cfg file, try changing the SortSongsBy parameter to Custom, and then set CustomMP3Tag to TSOT

...that may work

Cheers
Mike

emspi

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 am

emspi wrote:
cluscombe wrote:
From the Userguide:

Thanks. I saw that but don't know how to change it. The sd image file I suspect uses the skin chooser described in section 4.13

This option allows the user to choose a configuration file (skin) from a menu when fruitbox starts up, rather than specifying it

Where and how do I modify this, for example with the Modern skin? Some editing of a configuration file? Go easy please. This command line stuff is new to me. Thanks,
Anyone make this adjustment to the image or have a step by step to edit the correct file? Thx

fruitbox

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:42 am

emspi wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 am
emspi wrote:
cluscombe wrote:
From the Userguide:

Anyone make this adjustment to the image or have a step by step to edit the correct file? Thx
I think the fruitbox command is in the .bashrc file, so edit this in sudo mode and you should be able to replace the --choose-cfg argument with--cfg

Cheers
Mike

rivington

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:16 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:00 am
rivington wrote:
Hi

In the skin cfg file, try changing the SortSongsBy parameter to Custom, and then set CustomMP3Tag to TSOT

...that may work

Cheers
Mike
Thanks, that's actually what I was already doing. My workaround was to make all the numbers six digits long (e.g. 100001, 100010, 100200, etc) and this sorts correctly.

wyovino

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm

I've posted photos of my project here before, but I decided to document it and publish it on blog site that I write for. I turned a 1940's console radio into a Fruitbox powered jukebox. It's been about a year since I built it and it still gives me a great amount of joy. Not only does it work and sound great, but it looks really cool too.

https://discover.hubpages.com/technolog ... -Old-Radio

wyovino

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:03 pm

rivington wrote:
I had the same issue with track numbers in albums. In most cases it didn't matter, but if the album was from a Broadway show or an opera, the order was important. The database is just a text file, so you can manipulate the order in any text editor or do what I did - I wrote a program to reorder the songs based on the numerical value of the track number. Having over 2,200 songs, manually changing the track numbers was not an option.

mjvracing

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi Mike,

We are getting closer to having our Jukebox the way we would like it for our wedding. MP3 normalised, buttons all working, audio sorted.

Apologies if I've missed this in the user guide - is there a way or preventing repeat selections of songs over a period of time or for a number of songs selected, or does the database only log the current play queue rather than a history of selected songs since boot?

v1.16b

Cheers

Mike

Cuda360

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Hey Mike just wondering can I download version 1.16 ... Not 1.16a .. as i am installing it in RetroPie and I'm having trouble with 1.16a running in RetroPie.. But 1.16 I had no problem's..
Thanks..

rivington

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 am

wyovino wrote:
rivington wrote:
I had the same issue with track numbers in albums. In most cases it didn't matter, but if the album was from a Broadway show or an opera, the order was important. The database is just a text file, so you can manipulate the order in any text editor or do what I did - I wrote a program to reorder the songs based on the numerical value of the track number. Having over 2,200 songs, manually changing the track numbers was not an option.
Thanks! In my case I wanted the the sort order to be attached to the MP3s themselves so I used the "Title Sort" ID3 field (aka TSOT). I'm using a freeware program called MP3tag to update the values. I considered doing it your way and I found MP3tag to be a little more flexible. I wanted to pair songs by artist but not to sort by artist, so it appears more random. For example if I have six songs by the Clash I have created three pairs that show up on different pages, so all of the songs by the Clash aren't together.

wyovino

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:46 am

rivington wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 am
wyovino wrote:
rivington wrote:
Thanks! In my case I wanted the the sort order to be attached to the MP3s themselves so I used the "Title Sort" ID3 field (aka TSOT). I'm using a freeware program called MP3tag to update the values. I considered doing it your way and I found MP3tag to be a little more flexible. I wanted to pair songs by artist but not to sort by artist, so it appears more random. For example if I have six songs by the Clash I have created three pairs that show up on different pages, so all of the songs by the Clash aren't together.
mp3tag is a great program and I use it, but in my case changing so many tags wasn't feasible.In album mode, I sort my songs by Album, then by track. In song mode it doesn't really matter.

fruitbox

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:21 am

Cuda360 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm
Hey Mike just wondering can I download version 1.16 ... Not 1.16a .. as i am installing it in RetroPie and I'm having trouble with 1.16a running in RetroPie.. But 1.16 I had no problem's..
Thanks..
Yes you can. GitHub keeps all previous versions. You need to click on the fruitbox executable on the github webpage and look for the history tab. Clicking on this will list all the previous versions which you can subsequently download individually.

Cheers
Mike

fruitbox

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:26 am

mjvracing wrote:
Hi Mike,

We are getting closer to having our Jukebox the way we would like it for our wedding. MP3 normalised, buttons all working, audio sorted.

Apologies if I've missed this in the user guide - is there a way or preventing repeat selections of songs over a period of time or for a number of songs selected, or does the database only log the current play queue rather than a history of selected songs since boot?

v1.16b

Cheers

Mike
Yes you can. It's the SongHistoryDepth parameter in the skin file. You may also want to check out the NoDuplicates parameter too.

Cheers
Mike

Cuda360

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Ok Thanks Mike .. I found the file But the install script doesn't work .. With 1.16 as it automatically installs the new master version 1.16a.. As you know I'm a newbie.. Is there a way I can install.

fruitbox

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Cuda360 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:06 pm
Ok Thanks Mike .. I found the file But the install script doesn't work .. With 1.16 as it automatically installs the new master version 1.16a.. As you know I'm a newbie.. Is there a way I can install.
You have to do it manually I'm afraid.
Download the 1.16 version executable from the Github Web page and save it to the /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master directory.

Cheers
Mike

rivington

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:51 pm

I have been running into another issue. I am using two USB encoders (of the same model) to map my buttons. Occasionally after restarting the order of the encoders appears to gets reversed, so pressing a button on the second encoder triggers the corresponding button on the first encoder. So for example
ButtonSkip = JoyButton 1 288
ButtonA = JoyButton 0 288

So in this example, when I am trying to press "Skip", Fruitbox thinks I am pressing "A". It looks like it is swapping device 0 and device 1.

This seems to happen after removing and reinserting the USB memory stick but has also happened other times randomly. I can resolve it by restarting and swapping the USB devices but it doesn't always work and sometimes takes a few tries. I have looked around for ways to "mount" the USB encoders in Pi so they have a static reference but no luck so far.

I did see a similar question asked previously in this thread and it seemed that it would be addressed in a later release but I'm not sure if this has happened, or whether I need to do anything specific to make the encoders "sticky". Thanks!

fruitbox

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm

rivington wrote:
I have been running into another issue. I am using two USB encoders (of the same model) to map my buttons. Occasionally after restarting the order of the encoders appears to gets reversed, so pressing a button on the second encoder triggers the corresponding button on the first encoder. So for example
ButtonSkip = JoyButton 1 288
ButtonA = JoyButton 0 288

So in this example, when I am trying to press "Skip", Fruitbox thinks I am pressing "A". It looks like it is swapping device 0 and device 1.

This seems to happen after removing and reinserting the USB memory stick but has also happened other times randomly. I can resolve it by restarting and swapping the USB devices but it doesn't always work and sometimes takes a few tries. I have looked around for ways to "mount" the USB encoders in Pi so they have a static reference but no luck so far.

I did see a similar question asked previously in this thread and it seemed that it would be addressed in a later release but I'm not sure if this has happened, or whether I need to do anything specific to make the encoders "sticky". Thanks!
Hi

I've rewritten the input driver in v2 so I'm hoping this will no longer happen...when v2 comes out we will see.

Re v2, it's almost done (code changes are complete but I'm debugging and testing atm). Trouble is, I've just moved house so things are a bit upside-down currently and unfortunately fruitbox development has been pushed down the list a little (by my better half, may I add!)...

Mike

rivington

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm
rivington wrote:
I have been running into another issue. I am using two USB encoders (of the same model) to map my buttons. Occasionally after restarting the order of the encoders appears to gets reversed, so pressing a button on the second encoder triggers the corresponding button on the first encoder.
Hi

I've rewritten the input driver in v2 so I'm hoping this will no longer happen...when v2 comes out we will see.

Re v2, it's almost done (code changes are complete but I'm debugging and testing atm). Trouble is, I've just moved house so things are a bit upside-down currently and unfortunately fruitbox development has been pushed down the list a little (by my better half, may I add!)...

Mike
Thanks Mike, looking forward to it!

Cuda360

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Hey Mike, I copied over the files tried to manually run from the prompt .. But get can't load library's libglx..

fruitbox

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:05 am

Cuda360 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 pm
Hey Mike, I copied over the files tried to manually run from the prompt .. But get can't load library's libglx..
You may have picked up the wrong executable? Historically there have been different versions for Jessie, Stretch and Buster...

Quote from a previous post...
GitHub contains all versions of fruitbox, so if you lose 1.6 then you can always download it again...just click on the "History" button next to the "Download" button (after clicking on the fruitbox file), then find Version 1.6 in the list. Click on the "<>" button for that entry, and it'll take you to the files for that release, and you can just click on the fruitbox file to download it

mjvracing

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:26 am
mjvracing wrote:
Hi Mike,

v1.16b

Cheers

Mike
Yes you can. It's the SongHistoryDepth parameter in the skin file. You may also want to check out the NoDuplicates parameter too.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike,

The noduplicates works great for the play queue, but I've set the SongHistoryDepth to 86 (of 90 songs currently on the jukebox) and I can still select a previously played song manually. Does it only work with random and auto play?

Cheers

Mike

fruitbox

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:13 pm

mjvracing wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks Mike,

The noduplicates works great for the play queue, but I've set the SongHistoryDepth to 86 (of 90 songs currently on the jukebox) and I can still select a previously played song manually. Does it only work with random and auto play?

Cheers

Mike
...yep, the SongHistoryDepth does only work for random and auto play. I've not encountered a real jukebox which limits your choice like this. However, if it's really useful for you I could modify the SongHistoryDepth to include songs selected by the user, and release it in v2...it'll probably take the form of a flag "SongHistoryIncludeUserSelections" (yes/no), so that the existing SongHistoryDepth can work with or without user selections.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”