DrkMttr

Connecting to RealVNC on Any Network

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:14 am

Good evening, I have grown accustomed to using RealVNC to use my old tablet as a monitor. This is an option that has added considerable ease to using my Raspi on an everyday basis. I wish to do the same with any network both devices are connected to.

My concerns are that my tablet IP address will change each time my tablet connects to that network, especially if it's a public one. How can I change the settings of RealVNC to accommodate this need?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Connecting to RealVNC on Any Network

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 am

DrkMttr wrote:
Good evening, I have grown accustomed to using RealVNC to use my old tablet as a monitor. This is an option that has added considerable ease to using my Raspi on an everyday basis. I wish to do the same with any network both devices are connected to.

My concerns are that my tablet IP address will change each time my tablet connects to that network, especially if it's a public one. How can I change the settings of RealVNC to accommodate this need?

Use the *Cloud Connect* option ??

https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

DrkMttr

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:03 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 am
DrkMttr wrote:

Use the *Cloud Connect* option ??

https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/
I will be starting my Raspi "headless," so if my IP changes, as there are many devices connecting to the same network, my RealVNC might not be able to connect using the one, single IP address that I designate, as my device IP would change based on each successive connection. Could you be more specific with your answer?

scruss

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:09 pm

There really isn't much more to be specific about. When you add a Raspberry Pi to your team on Cloud Connect, it doesn't matter what IP address it's on. As long as RealVNC Server is running on it (and also registered with Cloud Connect), the remote computer will find it.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”