bedtime

My Raspberry Pi touch-based setup

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 pm

Been working on and using this setup for a while. It uses openbox as the window manager and the Official Raspberry Pi touch screen. I almost never use plugin keyboard with it, even to program, unless I'm locked out. The virtual keyboard works just fine.

The cyan/black theme can be changed to any foreground/background colour automatically via a script which changes a bunch of files and recompiles svkbd (virtual keyboard made by Suckless) and even the icons.

The side bar on the right can be opened and closed via flicking inwards from the right side of the screen. It allows the user to close, de/undecorate apps, maximize, fullscreen, change workspaces...

Fullscreen can be activated via flicking downwards from the top of the screen. Keyboard goes up via flicking upwards from the bottom of the screen. When done in such as way, the current application will shrink, so the keyboard will not overlap it, allowing you to see the full application. The keyboard takes only a megabyte or so and may be used on a pi-zero device too (not tested).

Apps can be floating, maximized (no borders), or fullscreen. I believe this setup is unique in that it allows you to switch between fullscreen apps and non-fullscreen apps without affecting their form (via an inward right flick from the left hand side of the screen). I'm not sure if there is any OS that can do this.

So if you were reading an ebook in an app, fullsceen (any application can be made fullscreen, btw) and then wanted to check your email, you could do a left side flick and go into the next open application, without having to minimize the screen. You can then check your mail, and then you flick again and get back to reading in the fullscreen reading app. It's much faster and more intuitive. Yes, it only takes 2 flicks to exit the fullscreen reading app, read the email, and get back to reading app—flick, read mail, flick, read book. Done.

Fullscreen terminal below:

Anyways, thought I'd share. Thanks for reading.

patopi

Re: My Raspberry Pi touch-based setup

Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 am

Do you have the setup/configuration/instructions somewhere? I'm especially interested in the dock and how it appears when you slide from out of the screen...

bedtime

Mon May 10, 2021 2:45 pm

patopi wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 am
Do you have the setup/configuration/instructions somewhere? I'm especially interested in the dock and how it appears when you slide from out of the screen...
Really sorry, but I didn't see this reply.

The dock in that picture is the 'tint2' dock. It doesn't do any special sliding or effects as its main feature is to be lightweight. As to how you make it appear, you swipe from the right edge of the screen inwards to activate it.

Having said that, I now use wbar, which is an even more lightweight panel. It appears almost instantly, and is great for those using raspberry pi zero. The look is basically the same, but it doesn't have a clock.

So far on my 8G ram system, I'm using under 70mb according to the 'free' command.

patopi

Tue May 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Hey thanks for following up!

Let me perhaps clarify my question, when I asked "how do you make it appear?". I was asking not about the physical gesture, but how that is implemented. Is that a feature of tint2 and/or wbar? Or something you had to configure in OpenBox? Or something else?

original (?) sources link here:

https://gitlab.com/o9000/tint2
https://code.google.com/archive/p/wbar/

bedtime

Wed May 12, 2021 3:11 pm

patopi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:19 pm
Hey thanks for following up!

Let me perhaps clarify my question, when I asked "how do you make it appear?". I was asking not about the physical gesture, but how that is implemented. Is that a feature of tint2 and/or wbar? Or something you had to configure in OpenBox? Or something else?

original (?) sources link here:

https://gitlab.com/o9000/tint2
https://code.google.com/archive/p/wbar/
I used fittstool, which captures gestures:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/fittstool/downloads

I'm going to have to look into making this application a little less error prone though; the application has a tendency to activate when you press on the edge of the screen, so that needs to be fixed, otherwise, it works well. Some other apps can do this too, but many of them won't work in fullscreen mode like fittstool. Also, a nice thing about this app is that it masks input upon swiping, so that when you swipe, it doesn't affect the application that is open, else you have things being moved/selected whenever you swiped.

patopi

Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 pm

bedtime wrote:

I'm going to have to look into making this application a little less error prone though; the application has a tendency to activate when you press on the edge of the screen, so that needs to be fixed, otherwise, it works well. Some other apps can do this too, but many of them won't work in fullscreen mode like fittstool. Also, a nice thing about this app is that it masks input upon swiping, so that when you swipe, it doesn't affect the application that is open, else you have things being moved/selected whenever you swiped.
Thanks for the info! Pretty interesting that it does mask the input when swiping, I've had that issue in a few apps (e.g. Chromium full-screen, trying to swipe and get that 'x' button to leave fullscreen and some input going to the webpage..). I'll look into Fittstool (nice name for it).

Cheers!

bedtime

Tue May 18, 2021 6:15 pm

patopi wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 pm
bedtime wrote:

Thanks for the info! Pretty interesting that it does mask the input when swiping, I've had that issue in a few apps (e.g. Chromium full-screen, trying to swipe and get that 'x' button to leave fullscreen and some input going to the webpage..). I'll look into Fittstool (nice name for it).

Cheers!
There is one thing that I don't like about fittstool. It doesn't actually detect 'swipes' but merely detects when you hit the edges of the screen at any angle, which is not a good thing. I've noticed that I'm accidentally tripping it quite often when pressing buttons/switches near the edge of the screen.

There is also touchegg, but that program only detects gestures such as 2, 3, 4, 5... finger gestures, and the thing that sucks about it is that is doesn't mask the input, so again, we are interrupting the program to do a gesture.

I made a program that detects swipes, will almost never miss a swipe (no matter how fast your swipe), and will never accidentally trip it. The issue is that mine, like toughegg, doesn't mask input, and I can say that you absolutely need to mask the input if you want it to work properly, else you'll be highlighting stuff, pressing buttons, or moving stuff around each time to you swipe. You may not notice in certain programs, but in others, it can be a real headache.

I'm still working on making my program mask the output, and my results have been extremely inconsistent, sadly. Programming with X11 can be difficult, as people generally don't want to lend a hand with such a complex library; it simply takes too much time, and I don't blame them. Doesn't make it any easier though.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”