Tony karl

How to make the multi-touch function screen work with Raspberry Pi 4B

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:16 am

Hi, I am a novice about Raspberry Pi. I want to know how to get the multi-touch screen works with RPi4... I have a 10-point touch screen and work fine with my laptop, but when I connect it with my RPi4, it can only perform single touch, I don't know how to make the screen multi-touch function works, anyone can help me? Thanks!!!

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to make the multi-touch function screen work with Raspberry Pi 4B

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:21 am

Tony karl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:23 am
Somebody here to help me? :idea:

Apart from you have a RPi 4B what other information would you like to divulge ?

Crystal Balls should not be a requirement.
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

DougieLawson

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:45 am

Tony karl wrote:
I have a 10-point touch screen and work fine with my laptop ...
Would you be so kind as to tell us the make, the model and how it connects to your RPi. Because my crystal ball went offline in the Great Crystal Ball Disaster of 1989.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Tony karl

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Tony karl wrote:
Would you be so kind as to tell us the make, the model and how it connects to your RPi. Because my crystal ball went offline in the Great Crystal Ball Disaster of 1989.
Yes, I buy the screen from this link "https://www.waveshare.com/10.1inch-hdmi ... h-case.htm" and connect it through the HDMI. I also connect USB cable for screen and power both of my RPi and screen, but the screen only single touch work not 10 points touch work. It's something wrong I do? PS: The screen 10 points touch function works fine with my laptop....

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:53 am

Tony karl wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Tony karl wrote:
Yes, I buy the screen from this link "https://www.waveshare.com/10.1inch-hdmi ... h-case.htm" and connect it through the HDMI. I also connect USB cable for screen and power both of my RPi and screen, but the screen only single touch work not 10 points touch work. It's something wrong I do? PS: The screen 10 points touch function works fine with my laptop....

Have you contacted WaveShare Support ??
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Tony karl

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tony karl wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:

Yes, they told me that the Raspbian system doesn't support multi-touch. Then, I checked it online and found there is a way to make the system support a multi-touch screen.

bedtime

Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Tony karl wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tony karl wrote:

Yes, they told me that the Raspbian system doesn't support multi-touch. Then, I checked it online and found there is a way to make the system support a multi-touch screen.
I'm sorry to hear that. This is why I would recommend the 7" Official Raspberry Pi touchscreen—it's pretty much going to just work as it should, and if it doesn't, there's lots of support for it on the net and forums.

mwrich4

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:35 pm

Remember, the sales guy will always say it works. You can plow a field with a BMW SUV, but it's not a good fit.

USB 3 support often means that the USB2 pathway will work with USB3. It doesn't mean that it works well.

Press the WaveShare site to provide their test-case build and their target board. Capacitive multitouch is not a trivial load on a processor system, especially if the drivers are poor.

gbafamily

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 am

I used a different monitor with HDMI and USB cap multi-touch with RPiOS buster. Multi touch works fine using a Python3 pygame2 demo app.

My summary is RPiOS buster supports USB multi-touch at the API level, at least on my monitor, but the GUI does not use multi-touch. The GUI uses the touch screen in mouse emulation mode (single touch). You might be able to install a virtual (on-screen) keyboard and turn off the mouse pointer. If you need a tablet UI, look for a different distro.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”