Merdok

The Curiosity that killed the cat!

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 pm

I have for some time been fascinated with those really small mini cd's that are called business card cd's or they used them for information and promos of thins such and the Dremel, so if they were used as business cards and ever so small and lacking in room, and now we have things like the raspberry pi series. So I have to ask a question of a similar nature. So first off I want to ask, if it is posable and how easy would it be to a program on the pi in any programing language a business card media such as would be on a mini business card, also how about a presentation in the same fashion but be a resume media? Lastly I also would love to be able to know if it is posable to create a Journal in a similar manner yet not just restricted to the same but still be like a book/video/presentation kinda thing? Any ideas?

PhatFil

Re: The Curiosity that killed the cat!

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:53 pm

If i understand correctly i suggest you google 'bad-usb' and 'rubberducky-usb' for a 'simple' system incorporating a usb/serial interface an sd card slot and a small microprocessor

they are 'bad' because the device emulates a keyboard so can be used to load malicouse s/w onto a puter while masquerading as a usb storage stick.

But the same tech can be used for your desired purpose sending commands to open a pdf with hyperlinked contact details or even a cgi presentation.

You could even get business card sized pcbs made for the purpose with an integrated usb plug.

For something more sophicticated you could use an esp32 soc with its built in wifi and bluetooth4 and a slim lipo battery you could even provide a wireless e-business card.

Imho a pi would be overkill and be cost prohibitive.

Merdok

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 am

Did not think about the con's in this case, but i still would desire to make a type of digital journal for my little one whom is 3yrs at the moment but it will be created over the span of her years as she grows, this would still be posable correct? And what would be the best way to make the esp32 soc work with text and audio? I have never used one before and dont know what kind of programs can be used with it. i am very much new to this stuff and really want to learn

PhatFil

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Merdok wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 am
Did not think about the con's in this case, but i still would desire to make a type of digital journal for my little one whom is 3yrs at the moment but it will be created over the span of her years as she grows, this would still be posable correct? And what would be the best way to make the esp32 soc work with text and audio? I have never used one before and dont know what kind of programs can be used with it. i am very much new to this stuff and really want to learn

I didnt understand very well did I ;) Im not sure i fully understand now.. a digital journal for a 3 yr old?? an always on recording 24/7 would be both power hungry requiering a daily recharge or exchange of batteries. And would require significant editing time on a daily basis to reduce the footage to something meaningful and relevant. Not forgetting the intrusion into your childs privacy that they may grow to resent, I know I would..

Perhaps i am still not fully understanding your idea but there are lots of surveillance/spy novelty devices to be found on ebay/amazon, though i would urge you to reconsider if your plans are to spy on your child (if that is what it is?) i suspect that it would be perceived as very creepy rather than the 'wonderful life record' your perhaps imagining? what you find 'cute' atm your child may grow to find Uber embarrassing. If you do proceed PLEASE dont post it online or store it on an open cloud platform, your child and society may well mature beyond the current fad of public exposure of private moments.

However youtubes by "Andreas Spiess" on the esp family of socs should give you a headstart on their capacity and use.

Merdok

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Ok no not 24/7, just something I would put to gether of bits of his or her life as they grow, mostly text of special events or relevent things that have happened in ones life with maybe a picture here and there maybe a bit of audio and video, nothing to extencive, or even just keeping it simple and do it simaler to the story book that can be made in python for a child to read text only. Not to have huge amounts of storage requirements of 24 hour video, and only meant that my child is 3 and only wish to build this thought out the life as growing up occurs until the age one could read the book or Journal, if kept to just text could the book story programing be used in such away?

PhatFil

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 pm

OK your not a creep, just a parent wanting to create something meaningful for their kid ;)

While you can have a lot of fun researching the tech to do what you want, most folk carry a phone with high quality sound and video recording capacity. So perhaps you may score many more 'brownie points' with your family by organising and presenting all the media you do collect in a meaningful and thoughtful manner, after all 10 minutes spent selecting just the right soundtrack for a slideshow or video montage will score you way more 'points' than any number of hours weeks, months spent at the codeface interfacing camera h/w ;) -Just remember to also keep backups..

Merdok

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Now that is an Idea, it dont know javk about any of this stuff, well some. I know enoigh for my to have big dreams and ideas that might be imposable to do. For example a budy of mine got his hands on a windows 98 laptop with a 10gig hdd, the thing was so square compared to the screens today, but I kept trying to get him to let me either have it or buy it from him. I dramed of taking the screen out and usong it for somwthing much better then that really old and slow thing, just 8 years ago. Not I have aquired a fairly not as old laptop and do e just that. Took a few years but is now posable. Ok so now that I havr bored you all. Thank you for your help and input on my ideas. Greatly Appreciated.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”