PittStone

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am

Hi, Awesome Update. But where`s the Internet Radio support?

fruitbox

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am

PittStone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am
Hi, Awesome Update. But where`s the Internet Radio support?
Hi,

That was proving problematic (i.e. I got it sort of working but not reliably enough to include, and I didn't want to hold up the v1.12 release any longer...) but don't worry I haven't forgotten about it!

Mike

PittStone

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 pm

I have put a .ogv Video in a new folder and edited the fruitbox.cfg to point to them. If i start with "MikeTV" Skin it says nothing mp3 files found. Its not search for .ogv? The new Skins are Downloaded after Update, but if i start fruitbox, the old version 1.11 is on the loading Screen.

fruitbox

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

PittStone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 pm
I have put a .ogv Video in a new folder and edited the fruitbox.cfg to point to them. If i start with "MikeTV" Skin it says nothing mp3 files found. Its not search for .ogv? The new Skins are Downloaded after Update, but if i start fruitbox, the old version 1.11 is on the loading Screen.
Hi,

Looks like you haven't updated the fruitbox executable itself. To make sure you get it without doing a completely fresh install, type

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/raw/master/fruitbox
chmod +x ./fruitbox
I noticed that the MikeTV skin was missing the touch.png file on GitHub so I have added that now, so make sure you grab that too.

Also worth noting that if you are upgrading from a previous version (and not following the instructions on GitHub), then you will need a couple of extra dependencies...

sudo apt-get install libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev
Also, don't forget to delete your database file otherwise it won't pick up the new music (ogv) file(s) (If you don't want to delete your database file and only have the one ogv to add then it may just be quicker to add it in by hand).

If fruitbox picks nothing up (not even mp3 files) then it's probably because the MusicPath parameter is wrong for you. Note that you can specify as many MusicPath entries as you like in the cfg file, and fruitbox will scan them all to produce a single database, so you may want one MusicPath entry for your videos and one MusicPath entry for your mp3s if they are in completely different places.

If you do generate a new database file, you may want to quit out of fruitbox and manually edit the database to insert the correct artist and song title entries (remember fruitbox can't determine these for ogv files).

Cheers,
Mike

mlill

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Really nice program, enjoy using it. :) However for me autoplay no longer works. Coming from a cold start after a short delay it will pick a tune and play it. From that point no more autoplay.
Switching back to use a previous fruitbox executable all is fine (ie no other changes)
Any hints?

fruitbox

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm

mlill wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:53 pm
Really nice program, enjoy using it. :) However for me autoplay no longer works. Coming from a cold start after a short delay it will pick a tune and play it. From that point no more autoplay.
Switching back to use a previous fruitbox executable all is fine (ie no other changes)
Any hints?
Oops - yes it looks like I broke that in v1.12.

Please find v1.12.1 on GitHub which fixes it.

Thanks for reporting the bug.

Cheers,
Mike

mlill

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Wasn't sure if it was something I didn't do properly. Will pull update and give a go. I use the touchone as was able to enlarge and change text color for better contrast for me, don't see so good any more. :)
As a future feature, would it be an option to have a web page control for the button press?
Thanks!
Mike

shhammer5634

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi Mike,

Got my first touch screen skin designed and working well. Thanks for all your hard work. Some questions though...

Last week I asked if there was a way to specify the spacing between the top and bottom songs on a title strip. Your reply was that it would be in the next release, the one that came out last week. I didn't find any info on this in the documentation. Doesn't mean it's not there, I just didn't see it. Did that bit make it into this release?

When creating an album mode touch screen will touch song have the effect of selecting the whole album?

My aim is to have three different skins depending on the mood I'm in, and whether of not my wife is using it. She's very much of the opinion that if she wants to listen to music she doesn't want to have to browse the selections or plug in flash drives. She just wants turn it on and have it take off playing. I can do that with autoplay I'm sure. I'm trying very hard to just use the touch screen without any additional buttons. So the question is, if I use the skin selector on start up, is there some way to make the selection using the touch screen, or am I relegated to actual buttons for that?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 am

Hi Steve,
shhammer5634 wrote:
Last week I asked if there was a way to specify the spacing between the top and bottom songs on a title strip. Your reply was that it would be in the next release, the one that came out last week. I didn't find any info on this in the documentation. Doesn't mean it's not there, I just didn't see it. Did that bit make it into this release?
Yes ... there's a new config parameter called PairedSongText which allows the two song entries in each song pair to be defined independently (font, colour, alignment, and also position). So specify this in the same way as SongText, but tweak the x and y offsets to move the second song entry around independently of the first.
shhammer5634 wrote:
When creating an album mode touch screen will touch song have the effect of selecting the whole album?
Yes ... but note that in order to group the songs together in albums, set the SortSongsBy config parameter to Album (if you have multiple SortSongsBy entries, make sure the last one is set to Albums). See the Granite skin for an example.

Also note that if you are in credits mode (not freeplay), then not all the songs on the album may be added to the play queue depending upon how many credits you have inserted, because credits still relate to individual songs and not albums, i.e. if you have six credits and there are ten songs on the album, only the first six songs on the album will be queued up when you select the album).
shhammer5634 wrote:
My aim is to have three different skins depending on the mood I'm in, and whether of not my wife is using it. She's very much of the opinion that if she wants to listen to music she doesn't want to have to browse the selections or plug in flash drives. She just wants turn it on and have it take off playing. I can do that with autoplay I'm sure. I'm trying very hard to just use the touch screen without any additional buttons. So the question is, if I use the skin selector on start up, is there some way to make the selection using the touch screen, or am I relegated to actual buttons for that?
Yes ... the skin selection screen works for touch screen...just touch the moving arrows to change skin, and then touch the skin description box to select it.

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:46 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 am
Hi Steve,
shhammer5634 wrote:
Yes ... there's a new config parameter called PairedSongText which allows the two song entries in each song pair to be defined independently (font, colour, alignment, and also position). So specify this in the same way as SongText, but tweak the x and y offsets to move the second song entry around independently of the first.
shhammer5634 wrote:
Yes ... but note that in order to group the songs together in albums, set the SortSongsBy config parameter to Album (if you have multiple SortSongsBy entries, make sure the last one is set to Albums). See the Granite skin for an example.

Also note that if you are in credits mode (not freeplay), then not all the songs on the album may be added to the play queue depending upon how many credits you have inserted, because credits still relate to individual songs and not albums, i.e. if you have six credits and there are ten songs on the album, only the first six songs on the album will be queued up when you select the album).
shhammer5634 wrote:
Yes ... the skin selection screen works for touch screen...just touch the moving arrows to change skin, and then touch the skin description box to select it.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

Outstanding! The PairedSongText works well. I haven't had a chance to try the other two yet. I'm working rather odd hours this week. One more simple question. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought there was a config option to prevent duplicate songs in the queue. Am I crazy?

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Steve

There is nothing to prevent you adding the same song to the queue manually, but you can use the SongHistoryDepth config parameter to try and prevent fruitbox repeating randomly selected songs.

Cheers,
Mike

CoD

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to support rotary encoders with fruitbox ? like this one https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/se ... der-module

I'd like to change the volume or navigate left page /right page with it.

Thanks for your very nice job.

CoD

fruitbox

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 am

CoD wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Hi,

Is it possible to support rotary encoders with fruitbox ? like this one https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/se ... der-module

I'd like to change the volume or navigate left page /right page with it.

Thanks for your very nice job.

CoD
Hi CoD,

Not directly, but in my original jukebox project I wrote a separate program called rotary_alsa_volume which allows you to change the master ALSA mixer volume using two GPIO pins connected to a rotary switch. I've added this to a new GitHub repository, so if you want to give it a try then please do...it may work for you.

Get the executable from GitHub...

wget https://github.com/chundermike/rotary_alsa_volume/raw/master/rotary_alsa_volume
sudo chmod +x ./rotary_alsa_volume
If you run it with no command line arguments it will give you some help. Please note that it uses the wiringPi library so you may have to install this first (I can't remember the exact commands, but if googling doesn't help, then get back to me and I'll try and find out for you...). Also note that the GPIO pin numbers you specify are not the same numbering scheme (Broadcomm) as fruitbox uses, so read the help from rotary_alsa_volume carefully for advice!

I'm not sure if you have fruitbox auto-running from boot (via the .bashrc file), but you'll need to run rotary_alsa_volume from boot before you run fruitbox, and remember to run it in the background (by adding a & to the end of the command) otherwise fruitbox won't subsequently run.

If it doesn't work for you, please let me know.

Maybe one day I will add rotary control support directly into fruitbox...

Cheers,
Mike

CoD

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

fruitbox wrote:

Not directly, but in my original jukebox project I wrote a separate program called rotary_alsa_volume which allows you to change the master ALSA mixer volume using two GPIO pins connected to a rotary switch. I've added this to a new GitHub repository, so if you want to give it a try then please do...it may work for you.

Get the executable from GitHub...

wget https://github.com/chundermike/rotary_alsa_volume/raw/master/rotary_alsa_volume
sudo chmod +x ./rotary_alsa_volume

If you run it with no command line arguments it will give you some help. Please note that it uses the wiringPi library so you may have to install this first (I can't remember the exact commands, but if googling doesn't help, then get back to me and I'll try and find out for you...). Also note that the GPIO pin numbers you specify are not the same numbering scheme (Broadcomm) as fruitbox uses, so read the help from rotary_alsa_volume carefully for advice!

I'm not sure if you have fruitbox auto-running from boot (via the .bashrc file), but you'll need to run rotary_alsa_volume from boot before you run fruitbox, and remember to run it in the background (by adding a & to the end of the command) otherwise fruitbox won't subsequently run.

If it doesn't work for you, please let me know.
Thank you for your fast answer, I'll look at your solution, it was also my first idea before asking you to add this very usefull option to fruitbox.

My jukebox is still under construction but I intend to add 2 rotary encoders, the first for left/right/enter the second for volume up/down/mute.
fruitbox wrote:
Maybe one day I will add rotary control support directly into fruitbox...
That would be great :D

Pictures of my jukebox will follow soon !

Thanks again for your work.

Mayki

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi Mike,
I would like to adjust skin Wurly for a 4: 3 screen(1600x1200) . I can not find where to set bitmap size "page_bkgnd.png". I still see my basic size. Can you please advise me?

Scally

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 pm

bernyone wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 am
Scally wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm
Scally wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm

I'm back from holiday - but, yes, I still have this problem and would love to try and find the cause of the problem. It still puzzles me why, with the test-button option, I can press buttons all day long and not have any delay, but run fruitbox normally and within a handful of presses / joystick movements I start to see really long delays (many seconds). It does respond eventually, so the event is not lost, just somehow queued etc. I can't tell if the pi's CPU is somehow busy with something else, but if it is already playing a song this just carries on normally.

I'd be happy to run some debug versions, but I would need the Jessie builds.

Likewise, it's the only thing stopping me from going live on my arcade machine with fruitbox!

Scally
Hi Mike - I'm hoping that you might still have some time to look at this delay problem? Just let me know if there's a debug version I should run (on Jessie).

Thanks!
Scally
Snap!
Been using the jukebox regulatory and until yesterday it's been fine and all of a sudden the lag reappears from nowhere....

Really need to get it sorted before the 16th as me and the wife are renewing our wedding vows and the jukebox will be providing the music for the after party....

Cheers
Jon
I've managed to capture a couple of debug files (on Jessie), but I'm not sure how to attach them to this message (.dbg files not allowed?) or PM them to you.

I ran this from the command line. I ran it twice, the first one was quite short, just using the joystick to move pages, but there was already a noticeable delay after a handful of events, but before the autoplay kicked in. On the second file, the last few joystick/button events take around 10-15seconds, though I've had much longer delays build up. This happens every time I run fruitbox.

fruitbox

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Mayki wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm
Hi Mike,
I would like to adjust skin Wurly for a 4: 3 screen(1600x1200) . I can not find where to set bitmap size "page_bkgnd.png". I still see my basic size. Can you please advise me?

Hi,

Hopefully I understand you correctly...

In the existing Wurly skin, the page_bkgnd.png is the background image for the song pages. The size of these as displayed on the screen is set by the PageSize parameter in the [general] section.

The actual size of the image in the png file doesn't matter...fruitbox will scale it to the size specified by PageSize.

Hope this answers your question?

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. I noticed the lightning bolt in the top corner of the display - this indicates a GPU power brown-out, and will probably result in sluggish graphics (especially if you decide to play music videos), so it's maybe worth considering using a better power adaptor with a higher current rating...
Last edited by fruitbox on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitbox

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Scally wrote:
bernyone wrote:
Scally wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi Mike - I'm hoping that you might still have some time to look at this delay problem? Just let me know if there's a debug version I should run (on Jessie).

Thanks!
Scally
Snap!
Been using the jukebox regulatory and until yesterday it's been fine and all of a sudden the lag reappears from nowhere....

Really need to get it sorted before the 16th as me and the wife are renewing our wedding vows and the jukebox will be providing the music for the after party....

Cheers
Jon
I've managed to capture a couple of debug files (on Jessie), but I'm not sure how to attach them to this message (.dbg files not allowed?) or PM them to you.

I ran this from the command line. I ran it twice, the first one was quite short, just using the joystick to move pages, but there was already a noticeable delay after a handful of events, but before the autoplay kicked in. On the second file, the last few joystick/button events take around 10-15seconds, though I've had much longer delays build up. This happens every time I run fruitbox.
Hi,

I don't think we can PM anymore in the forums :(, so I wander if you could just cut and past the debug file into a reply here?

Cheers,
Mike

Scally

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Scally wrote:
bernyone wrote:

Snap!

Cheers
Jon

Hi,

I don't think we can PM anymore in the forums :(, so I wander if you could just cut and past the debug file into a reply here?

Cheers,
Mike
I think the files are way too large to paste here, but the end of the second file is thus:

5b2bec65 ALLEGRO_EVENT_JOYSTICK_AXIS 0
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 ALLEGRO_EVENT_JOYSTICK_AXIS 80000000
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 2
5b2bec65 ALLEGRO_EVENT_JOYSTICK_BUTTON 0
5b2bec65 INPUT QUEUE PUSH 1 0
5b2bec65 INPUT QUEUE POP 0 0
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1

I don't know how well this captures the delays that I see. Happy to run a more specific test if necessary.

Mayki

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 pm
Hi,

Hopefully I understand you correctly...

In the existing Wurly skin, the page_bkgnd.png is the background image for the song pages. The size of these as displayed on the screen is set by the PageSize parameter in the [general] section.

The actual size of the image in the png file doesn't matter...fruitbox will scale it to the size specified by PageSize.

Hope this answers your question?

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. I noticed the lightning bolt in the top corner of the display - this indicates a GPU power brown-out, and will probably result in sluggish graphics (especially if you decide to play music videos), so it's maybe worth considering using a better power adaptor with a higher current rating...
Thank you for your quick reply, this is exactly what I was looking for ... :D
Power is test only, so I fine-tune everything you need to make it stronger.

fruitbox

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Scally wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Scally wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
Mike
I think the files are way too large to paste here, but the end of the second file is thus:

5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 2
5b2bec65 ALLEGRO_EVENT_JOYSTICK_BUTTON 0
5b2bec65 INPUT QUEUE PUSH 1 0
5b2bec65 INPUT QUEUE POP 0 0
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1
5b2bec65 INPUT EVENT 1

I don't know how well this captures the delays that I see. Happy to run a more specific test if necessary.
Hi,

At first glance it seems that the delays are not in fruitbox (the first number in each debug line are the CPU time in seconds - as they are all the same, the events above all occur very close together (within one second). However, it seems that only the JOYSTICK BUTTON event is being PUSHed onto the button queue, and POPed off by the main engine, whereas the JOYSTICK AXIS (stick) movements are not being picked up. This doesn't sound correct (unless you are not mapping stick directions to buttons?)...

I will have a think and get back to you, either with a request for more debug or give you a new debug version of fruitbox to try...

Cheers,
Mike

colinstahl

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Hello.
First off I'd like to say thank you to Mike and everyone else here. This is an incredible project, and the community here is awesome. With the help of this forum, I've been able to create a device to modernize my Rowe/AMI CD100 jukebox with the ability to add mp3 music to its functionality without destroying the old-school charm of the CD changer. My plan is to place a small touchscreen in an existing opening in the front panel of the juke where there was previously only a price list, and have the option of old school CD music or utilize Fruitbox to access my modern mp3 library. I've come to the point, however, where I need some help.

I'm using a non-standard touchscreen, as the official 7-inch pi screen is too large to fit in the opening and I'd prefer to not alter the front panel. I purchased a 5" LCD touch screen from DealExtreme, and was able to make it work in the gui of a full install of Raspbian.

I created my Fruitbox install using Raspbian Stretch Lite, and installed the touchscreen driver. The driver appears to be loading properly; when it boots, I get a status 'NOTE: Opened input device 'ADS7846'(dev/input/event2)' during startup.

My problem is when I run '--config-buttons --touch-device ADS7846' and try to assign the inputs for Left, Right, skip, random, Vol+ and Vol-, when I touch the screen anywhere it generates 'GPIO 25'on the display, and when the fruitbox.btn file is created, all of these buttons are assigned 'GPIO 25' and Fruitbox halts with an 'ERROR: Duplicated Button mapping'

I've read through the forum and the user guide, but can't seem to find a reference to a solution. I would appreciate help from anyone who has experienced this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Let's Rock!

fruitbox

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:37 pm

colinstahl wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm
Hello.
First off I'd like to say thank you to Mike and everyone else here. This is an incredible project, and the community here is awesome. With the help of this forum, I've been able to create a device to modernize my Rowe/AMI CD100 jukebox with the ability to add mp3 music to its functionality without destroying the old-school charm of the CD changer. My plan is to place a small touchscreen in an existing opening in the front panel of the juke where there was previously only a price list, and have the option of old school CD music or utilize Fruitbox to access my modern mp3 library. I've come to the point, however, where I need some help.

I'm using a non-standard touchscreen, as the official 7-inch pi screen is too large to fit in the opening and I'd prefer to not alter the front panel. I purchased a 5" LCD touch screen from DealExtreme, and was able to make it work in the gui of a full install of Raspbian.

I created my Fruitbox install using Raspbian Stretch Lite, and installed the touchscreen driver. The driver appears to be loading properly; when it boots, I get a status 'NOTE: Opened input device 'ADS7846'(dev/input/event2)' during startup.

My problem is when I run '--config-buttons --touch-device ADS7846' and try to assign the inputs for Left, Right, skip, random, Vol+ and Vol-, when I touch the screen anywhere it generates 'GPIO 25'on the display, and when the fruitbox.btn file is created, all of these buttons are assigned 'GPIO 25' and Fruitbox halts with an 'ERROR: Duplicated Button mapping'

I've read through the forum and the user guide, but can't seem to find a reference to a solution. I would appreciate help from anyone who has experienced this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Let's Rock!
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Which version of fruitbox are you using?

Thanks,
Mike

colinstahl

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi Mike. I'm using V 1.12.1

mamer999

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 am

Hi colinstahl,

how is the display connected to the raspberry?
What happens if you manually replace the entries "GPIO 25" with "Touch" in fruitbox.btn?

Cheers

Jürgen

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”