karrika

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Markal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 am
I have just ordered the HiFiBerry card with the RCA connectors as the only reference reading through this post is that you Mike, say that you have tested and Fruitbox works with the HiFiBerry Amp+ so I am hoping it will work with the whole HiFi Berry range.

Has anyone else got Fruitbox to work with any of the other Audio boards?
I am using Fruitbox with AudioInjector cards. I have both the large card intended for RPi 3 and the PiZero sized card.

You need to run the AudioInjector-setup script that creates the right device tree for AudioInjector.

The AudioInjector runs the audio using alsa.

The card has potentiometers for adjusting the volume. You can also use the digital volume control directly from fruitbox.

The PiZero version was very cheap - around 10€ and the sound is great.

Currently I am using the Fruitbox on a daily basis when I come home from work. So there is at least one daily user :)

Perhaps I get the energy to create a beautiful cabinet some day - who knows. But today it is in my library to run some music to dance to. Mainly old stuff like Elvis, Boogie Woogie and Swing.

GeoffB

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Mike,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your last post.

Re: the database anomaly that I was experiencing. From what I can work out, in a song where the first character of the artist or the first character of the title is a '1' (number one) Fruitbox always displays it as a letter 'I' irrespective of the sort order. In fact the database sort routine obviously sees it as what it is a number one because the sort order is always correct. it treats the number one as a number one but Fruitbox displays it on the screen as a letter I (if you get my drift).

Not that any of this matters at all it just looks strange on the display.

Shame I can't get you to accept donations for your excellent work. I too use lots of free software both at home and at work but where possible if I use a piece of software regularly or find it invaluable I generally try to make a donation really just to say thank you to the author.

kind regards
GeoffB

fruitbox

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:55 pm
Mike,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your last post.

Re: the database anomaly that I was experiencing. From what I can work out, in a song where the first character of the artist or the first character of the title is a '1' (number one) Fruitbox always displays it as a letter 'I' irrespective of the sort order. In fact the database sort routine obviously sees it as what it is a number one because the sort order is always correct. it treats the number one as a number one but Fruitbox displays it on the screen as a letter I (if you get my drift).

Not that any of this matters at all it just looks strange on the display.

Shame I can't get you to accept donations for your excellent work. I too use lots of free software both at home and at work but where possible if I use a piece of software regularly or find it invaluable I generally try to make a donation really just to say thank you to the author.

kind regards
GeoffB
Hi GeoffB,

That definitely sounds like a font issue to me...if fruitbox is treating it as a number '1' during the sort, then it's definitely a number and not a letter. One thing you could try is either look at the font its using in a font editor or document, or change the skin font for something different, to make it more obvious. Changing the font in a skin is easy enough...you just need to edit the fruitbox.cfg for the skin your using.

Out of interest, do you know what font it is?

Cheers,
Mike

sasquatch001

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Hifiberry AMP2 arrived today. Very impressed what such a small card can pump out!

Is there a way to reduce the start up volume? It's too loud for the small room it's currently in and freaking out the kids :o

Also I can't turn down too much before it gets silent/mute. Hard to tell if bug or a big jump from minimum volume to mute....perhaps a future version can have an onscreen volume slider? Even if it's only visible once the volume keys have been pressed.

As always, thanks for the software and ongoing help.

Dave

GeoffB

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Mike

I'm using the WallJuke skin as provided with release 1.5 of fruitbox so I assume that the font is Typewriter.ttf for the song cards.

As you suggested I will have a look with a font editor/viewer and let you know.

Regards
GeoffB

GeoffB

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Mike

Nice one mate! you were on the button with that, it is the font (Typewriter.ttf) the numeric 1 is in fact a letter i

The reason that I never spotted that is that I'm not as clever as you.

regards
GeoffB

fruitbox

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm
Hifiberry AMP2 arrived today. Very impressed what such a small card can pump out!

Is there a way to reduce the start up volume? It's too loud for the small room it's currently in and freaking out the kids :o

Also I can't turn down too much before it gets silent/mute. Hard to tell if bug or a big jump from minimum volume to mute....perhaps a future version can have an onscreen volume slider? Even if it's only visible once the volume keys have been pressed.

As always, thanks for the software and ongoing help.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes you can change the initial volume...in the skin config file you can use the 'SongVolume' parameter (0 to 100). This defines the initial volume for the music. For sound effects the volume is the first number on the lines where the sound effect files are defined (in the [sounds] section).

I will admit that I was a bit lazy implementing the volume control...0 to 100 in steps of 10 on a linear scale is why it changes quickly at lower volumes than higher. I really need to make the steps a dB logarithmic scale, which I'll try and do for the next release.

Regarding a volume display, you can do this in the skin file...take a look at the 'TouchOne' skin as an example (the bitmap object on line 93 of fruitbox.cfg)...I encourage you to add one to the skin you are using ;)

As always, it's worth checking out the user guide!

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm
The reason that I never spotted that is that I'm not as clever as you.
...I'm OK at software...pretty useless at most other things...

mamer999

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Mike, hello together, information for those who are interested. I managed to pair the Elgato Stream Deck with Fruitbox. I use a Python library from https://github.com/abcminiuser/python-elgato-streamdeck and simulate keystrokes with uinput. With a few adjustments in the sample program of the Python library it works!

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3

#         Python Stream Deck Library
#      Released under the MIT license
#
#   dean [at] fourwalledcubicle [dot] com
#         www.fourwalledcubicle.com
#

import StreamDeck.StreamDeck as StreamDeck
import threading
import random
import uinput
#import time

def get_random_key_colour_image(deck):
    key_image_format = deck.key_image_format()

width, height = (key_image_format['width'], key_image_format['height'])
    depth = key_image_format['depth']

random_color = [int(random.random() * 0xFF) for b in range(depth)]
    for i in range(width * height):
        for b in range(depth):
            yield random_color[b]

def key_change_callback(deck, key, state):
    #print("Deck {} Key {} = {}".format(deck.id(), key, state), flush=True)

if state:
        deck.set_key_image(key, get_random_key_colour_image(deck))
        if key == 4:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_A)
        elif key == 3:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_B)
        elif key == 2:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_C)
        elif key == 1:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_D)
        elif key == 0:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_E)
        elif key == 9:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_1)
        elif key == 8:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_2)
        elif key == 7:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_3)
        elif key == 6:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_4)
        elif key == 5:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_5)
        elif key == 14:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_LEFT)
        elif key == 10:
            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_RIGHT)
#        elif key == 3:
#            device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_B)
#        elif key == 3:
#        elif key == 3:
#        device.emit_click(uinput.KEY_A)
#        if key == d.key_count() - 1:
#            deck.reset()
#            deck.close()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    manager = StreamDeck.DeviceManager()
    decks = manager.enumerate()

events = (
        uinput.KEY_A,
        uinput.KEY_B,
        uinput.KEY_C,
        uinput.KEY_D,
        uinput.KEY_E,
        uinput.KEY_1,
        uinput.KEY_2,
        uinput.KEY_3,
        uinput.KEY_4,
        uinput.KEY_5,
        uinput.KEY_LEFT,
        uinput.KEY_RIGHT,                
        )
    device = uinput.Device(events)         
    #print("Found {} Stream Decks.".format(len(decks)), flush=True)

for d in decks:
        d.open()
        d.reset()

#print("Press key {} to exit.".format(d.key_count() - 1), flush=True)

d.set_brightness(30)

for k in range(d.key_count()):
            d.set_key_image(k, get_random_key_colour_image(d))

current_key_states = d.key_states()
        #print("Initial key states: {}".format(current_key_states))

d.set_key_callback(key_change_callback)

for t in threading.enumerate():
            if t is threading.currentThread():
                continue

t.join()

sasquatch001

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 pm

fruitbox wrote:

Regarding a volume display, you can do this in the skin file...take a look at the 'TouchOne' skin as an example (the bitmap object on line 93 of fruitbox.cfg)...I encourage you to add one to the skin you are using ;)
Got this working tonight - thanks Mike.

I will print out a copy of the user guide :D

Did you recreate the pause issue i have or is that just effecting me? I'll do a clean install if nobody else has experienced it.

Regards
David

fruitbox

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 pm

sasquatch001 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 pm
fruitbox wrote:

Got this working tonight - thanks Mike.

I will print out a copy of the user guide :D

Did you recreate the pause issue i have or is that just effecting me? I'll do a clean install if nobody else has experienced it.

Regards
David
Hi David,

I've not managed to recreate the pause issue yet :(, but will maybe re-code the offending bit of software as it's obviously a real problem you have seen...

Mike

RainbowJuke

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Mike thanks for a great program.
I have built three full size jukebox' s using DWJuke. Was looking for a replacement as windows units getting harder to find.
Could you include the numerical keys in the key layout.
I found that it is easy to take the printed circuit out of a usb wired numerical key pad for push buttons on the carcase of the jukebox.
It also meant that a wifi numerical keypad could be used with only keys renamed as a remote control.
Looking forward to making a few more Jukeboxes especially a modern Splat.
Thanks again for a great program. Antony

shhammer5634

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Mike,

Well said in one of your previous posts about why you have been doing this Fruitbox project. I'm much the same, doing things for the challenge and learning possibilities.

My take on your wonderful piece of software will be to interface it with a Seeburg 3W1 (Wall-O-Matic 100) as the front end without substantially altering the 3W1 internally or externally. Meaning it will still accept coins and do all the things it's supposed to do and physically look the same without drilling any extra holes or modifying the case. The only real change will be to replace the title strip holder with a small monitor that Fruitbox can use as a display. The remainder of the project will be housed in an external box of some sort that the 3W1 will rest on. The external box will handle all the other bits needed to run the 3W1 and interface with Fruitbox. Since the wife and I had to move into smaller quarters several years ago, I had to give up my last jukebox due to lack of room. This project will give me back my jukebox while maintaining the nostalgic look and feel that I like so much. I'm at the stage in my project where I have a working 3W1 and its management system prototyped.

My question to you is whether you've made any progress or determination in externalizing the "Now Playing" and songs in queue information including the titles. I would like to show that info on a small screen external to the rPi and the 3W1.

Thank you so much for making this software available. I'm looking forward to watching it evolve over time.

Steve

fruitbox

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am

RainbowJuke wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 am
Hi Mike thanks for a great program.
I have built three full size jukebox' s using DWJuke. Was looking for a replacement as windows units getting harder to find.
Could you include the numerical keys in the key layout.
I found that it is easy to take the printed circuit out of a usb wired numerical key pad for push buttons on the carcase of the jukebox.
It also meant that a wifi numerical keypad could be used with only keys renamed as a remote control.
Looking forward to making a few more Jukeboxes especially a modern Splat.
Thanks again for a great program. Antony
Hi Antony

You can remap the keys so you can use the keypad...

sudo ./fruitbox --config-buttons
Then just follow the instructions!

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am

shhammer5634 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am
Hi Mike,

Well said in one of your previous posts about why you have been doing this Fruitbox project. I'm much the same, doing things for the challenge and learning possibilities.

My take on your wonderful piece of software will be to interface it with a Seeburg 3W1 (Wall-O-Matic 100) as the front end without substantially altering the 3W1 internally or externally. Meaning it will still accept coins and do all the things it's supposed to do and physically look the same without drilling any extra holes or modifying the case. The only real change will be to replace the title strip holder with a small monitor that Fruitbox can use as a display. The remainder of the project will be housed in an external box of some sort that the 3W1 will rest on. The external box will handle all the other bits needed to run the 3W1 and interface with Fruitbox. Since the wife and I had to move into smaller quarters several years ago, I had to give up my last jukebox due to lack of room. This project will give me back my jukebox while maintaining the nostalgic look and feel that I like so much. I'm at the stage in my project where I have a working 3W1 and its management system prototyped.

My question to you is whether you've made any progress or determination in externalizing the "Now Playing" and songs in queue information including the titles. I would like to show that info on a small screen external to the rPi and the 3W1.

Thank you so much for making this software available. I'm looking forward to watching it evolve over time.

Steve
Hi Steve

Your project sounds fascinating and it would be good to see it when ready...

For status output, I was considering adding dbus support. However I haven't got any experience of that yet and so it will be a while yet before that gets put in.

I am thinking of adding a quick and easy solution for adding status output though. I'm not sure if you've had chance to read the user guide yet and learn about the status objects and the $variables, but these are the way that you can define what is shown on the fruitbox display. If I enhance this feature so that the status can be sent to text files as well as the display then you could have access to any status you like (such as song now playing for example) just by reading a text file(s).

Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Mike

shhammer5634

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 pm

shhammer5634 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 am
Hi Mike,

Steve 
Hi Steve

Your project sounds fascinating and it would be good to see it when ready...

For status output, I was considering adding dbus support. However I haven't got any experience of that yet and so it will be a while yet before that gets put in.

I am thinking of adding a quick and easy solution for adding status output though. I'm not sure if you've had chance to read the user guide yet and learn about the status objects and the $variables, but these are the way that you can define what is shown on the fruitbox display. If I enhance this feature so that the status can be sent to text files as well as the display then you could have access to any status you like (such as song now playing for example) just by reading a text file(s).

Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Mike
Hi again Mike,

I believe reading a text file would actually be perfect for my application. That would give me an opportunity to massage and format the data before sending it off to other parts of my system. I'll be very interested in seeing what you come up with as a solution.

As far as the user manual goes, no I haven't seen it yet. It's one of those things on my to-do list. I had wanted to get the 3W1 functioning before I tackled the Fruitbox side of the project. As it happens I've only got one more quick test to do on the 3W1 lash-up, so I'll be starting with Fruitbox this weekend. I can't wait!

Cheers,
Steve

Markal

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi All. Please can I ask for some assistance. I have spent most of the weekend trying to get Fruitbox to run but keep hitting different problems.

In the spirit of giving back, here are the problems so far and the solutions that will hopefully help others.

I am using a Raspberry 3 with the HiFiBerry DAC+ RCA and Fruitbox 1.6

1 - installed Raspberry Stretch lite 2017-11-29. Booted up OK. Logged in as User Pi, Password Raspberry.
2 - SUDO Raspi-config and set up screen memory split to 256. Also enabled SSD to allow access from Windows Computer.

Now the rest I can work on from my windows computer via Putty -

3 - Installed Fruitbox as per instructions.
4 - Configure audio - SUDO NANO /boot/config.txt
Remove the line dtparam=audio=on
add the following line
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

5 - Disable bluetooth which may clash with Hifiberry (according to HIFIBerry website) by SUDO NANO /boot/config.txt
add the line dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

6 - Mount USB which has some .mp3 files. -
SUDO mkdir -p /mnt/usb
SUDO nano /etc/fstab
add the line at the end of the table
/dev/sda /mnt/usb vfat defaults 0 0

NB My Set up does not respond to sda1 or 2 or 3 or 4 and only responds to sda. I got stuck here as when it was changed, I could not get the PI to boot up and had to start from scratch again...a few times until I worked out why it was getting stuck and not rebooting.

Did a reboot

7 - Tried to run Fruitbox - Get error - "Fruitbox: Error while loading shared libraries: libSM.so.6, Cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Solution - sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev

8 - Now I can get fruitbox to fire up but I come now to the next problem. - I can see the .mp3 files if I cd to usb/mount and type ls -l but Fruitbox cannot create the .cfg file.

I have edited SUDO NANO skins/WallJuke/fruitbox.cfg and changed

Database = ../mnt/usb/fruitbox.db
Musicpath = ../mnt/usb/music/

I am in the rpi-fruitbox-master directory

Now when I run - ./fruitbox --cfg skins/WallJuke/fruitbox.cfg

I get fruitbox V1.6 by Mike Kingsley ...

Detecting Display ...1280x1024
Reading configuration '/skins/Walljuke/fruitbox.cfg ...

[General]

[Sounds]

[Font]

[Page]

[Status]

[Bitmap]

etc

Initialising audio
Database '../mnt/usb/fruitbox.db ' not found so creating it for you...
Creating new database /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db''...

More of the message until it comes to

Alternatively if you are feeling brave you can edit the database directly .........

"ERROR: Couldn't create ' ~'

and each time I try it, I get different characters between the ' ' marks.

I am stuck now and please can someone put me out of my misery.

sasquatch001

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm

My guess is that your usb mount does not have write privileges so is unable to create the fruitbox.db file.

sasquatch001

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Markal wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm

6 - Mount USB which has some .mp3 files. -
SUDO mkdir -p /mnt/usb
SUDO nano /etc/fstab
add the line at the end of the table
/dev/sda /mnt/usb vfat defaults 0 0

I think I needed to change that last line. Adding uid=1000 and gid=1000 was involved.

I'll try to find the link I found explaining it and post it up a bit later.

Edit: If you scroll back over this thread you will see I'm not really the guy to be giving advice. If anybody offers alternative advice....take it. :D

fruitbox

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi Markal,

I will try and re-create your issues to try and work out what's going on.

In the meantime, you could try a couple of things...

1) run fruitbox as sudo, and
2) make sure your database and music path are defined exactly as follows...

Database = /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db
MusicPath = /mnt/usb/music/
Cheers,
Mike

Markal

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Mike,

Wow that was quick response. Thank you for your trouble.

I tried running as SUDO but no change.

I have changed the music path as I am guessing that it is looking for a subdirectory called music on the USB and I have them all in root.

MusicPath = /mnt/usb/

Now I get a new ERROR so at least we are in the right area.

I am now getting

"loading database /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db 0 songs found"

ERROR Database file /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db contains no songs. Please delete it and re-run fruitbox making sure .........

I have tried to RM /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db but get the response

cannot remove '/mnt/usb/fruitbox.db ' permission denied

I have gone onto the drive and can see the mp3 files but no fruitbox.db file

Does that give any clues?

Thank you for your time and trouble

Best regards

Mark

fruitbox

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Markal wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 pm
Hi Mike,

Wow that was quick response. Thank you for your trouble.

I tried running as SUDO but no change.

I have changed the music path as I am guessing that it is looking for a subdirectory called music on the USB and I have them all in root.

MusicPath = /mnt/usb/

Now I get a new ERROR so at least we are in the right area.

I am now getting

"loading database /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db 0 songs found"

ERROR Database file /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db contains no songs. Please delete it and re-run fruitbox making sure .........

I have tried to RM /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db but get the response

cannot remove '/mnt/usb/fruitbox.db ' permission denied

I have gone onto the drive and can see the mp3 files but no fruitbox.db file

Does that give any clues?

Thank you for your time and trouble

Best regards

Mark
Hi Mark

Try

sudo rm /mnt/usb/fruitbox.db
And then try again...

Cheers,
Mike

Markal

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi Mike

I have resolved it I think.

I have taken the USB drive out and stuck it back in my windows machine and moved all the files to a 'music' subdirectory

I did find the fruitbox.db file while I was there and deleted it so I just could not see it when viewing in Putty

I put the drive back into the pi and booted up.

I then reedited the skins/walljuke/fruitbox.cfg file to change the /mnt/usb/Music

Try to run fruitbox - Still no joy.

I go back and edit the skins/walljuke/fruitbox.cfg and changed 'Music' to 'music' and hey presto, it works. its finding my mp3's.

I did not know that things were case sensitive so that was the problem.

Now I just need to set up the boot up side and we can rock.

Thank you.

Regards

Mark

Markal

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Got it working. Excellent. Love the record noise between tracks, real attention to detail there.

Important to note that if using auto start, the sudo raspi-config needs to be changed to allow the pi to boot up without having to log in. Its a challenge to do it once you have done the auto start as it keeps booting straight into fruitbox.

Also I noted that the bashrc file needs editing to read

sudo nano ~/.bashrc
cd rpi-fruitbox-master
sudo ./fruitbox --cfg skins/WallJuke/fruitbox.cfg

And NOT the sudo ./fruitbox --cfg /mnt/usb/fruitbox.cfg as this just bombs out saying it cannot find the file.

The keyboard is very unpredictable though. Need to check the hardware if its the Pi or the usb keyboard. Can take up to 3 or 4 pushes to get it to read.

Going to give it select buttons once I got a cabinet.

Thanks mike for a great piece of software. Now to make a cabinet to give it justice.

klaus.raspberry

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Good evening Mike,

you wrote in an older post that run fruitbox on a Pi Zero. I bought a Pi Zero W and installed raspbian stretch lite and fruitbox 1.6. I adjusted the memory split (256) , updated the firmware and and upgrade the OS. Sadly it doesn't run stable.

After a few songs(sometimes one, sometimes 2 or more ) the system is freezing and I have to restart it. For testing I installed a mp3 player (mpg123). This could I run in a "loop" without problems. Have you made any further configuration steps to run it on your Pi?

@All,
has someone else run it successfully on a Pi Zero W?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards Bernd

P.s. @Mike Many thanks for your work and spending your time on this hugely useful piece of software.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”