bryanbailes
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:10 am
Contact: Website

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 am

carlos.rodriguez wrote:First of all, I've "solved" my issue with the GoPro Hero 5 and the B101 board. I don't know the reason but if I connect an HDMI switch between the GoPro and the board everything works great. (link to the switch used: http://www.tecknet.co.uk/hdmi03.html). No need to power the switch with the MicroUSB included.
I've been sniffing EDID data and the switch does not change it so the issue is not there. I also tried with a GoPro Hero 3 and it works fine without the need of the switch. Anyway, I can live with that.
The reason is because the GoPro Hero 5 utilizes HDCP, while the GoPro Hero 3 does not (nor does the Hero 4). Your HDMI switch is then stripping out the HDCP. The B101 board does not support HDCP.

bortek
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Can anyone confirm that Auvidea B102 is working?

ChrisR20XX
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 pm

I am using EZ-Wifibroadcast which is a software solution to broadcast video wireless between Pi's. It's using raspivid and as such it does work with the B101.
However when I connect my Laptop to the B101 is being recognized as a Toshiba device with a highest resolution of 720p.

From reading this thread up and down I understand that this is because the EDID information being fed by raspivid to the tc358743 is not correct. Using raspi_tc358743.c would make more resolutions up to 1080p25 selectable on my Laptop? Does raspi_tc358743.c behave like raspivid apart from sending more EDIDs to the chip? Is it supporting all the parameters you can use on raspivid? Or is raspi_tc358743.c a rather different application just for displaying the video from the B101?

A rather different approach that came to my mind was using raspivid and an EDID Override Tool on my Laptop. Has anyone got experience in doing that or is there a reason why this expected to fail?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4244
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 pm

ChrisR20XX wrote:I am using EZ-Wifibroadcast which is a software solution to broadcast video wireless between Pi's. It's using raspivid and as such it does work with the B101.
However when I connect my Laptop to the B101 is being recognized as a Toshiba device with a highest resolution of 720p.

From reading this thread up and down I understand that this is because the EDID information being fed by raspivid to the tc358743 is not correct. Using raspi_tc358743.c would make more resolutions up to 1080p25 selectable on my Laptop? Does raspi_tc358743.c behave like raspivid apart from sending more EDIDs to the chip? Is it supporting all the parameters you can use on raspivid? Or is raspi_tc358743.c a rather different application just for displaying the video from the B101?

A rather different approach that came to my mind was using raspivid and an EDID Override Tool on my Laptop. Has anyone got experience in doing that or is there a reason why this expected to fail?
Using raspivid, if the source produces anything other than 720P you will get corruption. The GPU side is set up only to handle 720P input.

raspi_tc358743.c is a totally separate app at https://github.com/6by9/userland/blob/h ... tc358743.c. It displays and optionally encodes the stream from the TC358743.
No it doesn't have all the options of raspivid, although it can be modified to support many of them. None of the image controls (eg saturation, contrast, brightness, etc) are currently supported by the pipeline, and it will require firmware mods to do so. Nor does it have circular buffering, inline motion vectors, or the other encoding parameters, but those can probably be copy and pasted fairly easily.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Glurt
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place.

I was looking at buying the B101 but I couldn't find any available, I did find these Aducam modules however https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Extensio ... B06XDNBM63

The problem is that I can't get them to work, which is how I found this thread.

I've installed OSMC and connected one of the modules to the board and then plugged a Chromecast/Laptop into the hdmi port. Running

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_camera
gives me
support=1 detected=0
. I've also tried using a HDMI splitter in case it was a hdcp issue.

I'm starting to think these might not be suitable as a replacement to the B101 as they don't appear to have the TC358742 chip but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.

Could someone let me know if those modules aren't going to work and if not, why?

Similarly, if they should work, what I can try to detect input on the Rpi?

Thanks

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4244
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 am

Glurt wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 pm
Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place.

I was looking at buying the B101 but I couldn't find any available, I did find these Aducam modules however https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Extensio ... B06XDNBM63

The problem is that I can't get them to work, which is how I found this thread.

I've installed OSMC and connected one of the modules to the board and then plugged a Chromecast/Laptop into the hdmi port. Running

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_camera
gives me
support=1 detected=0
. I've also tried using a HDMI splitter in case it was a hdcp issue.

I'm starting to think these might not be suitable as a replacement to the B101 as they don't appear to have the TC358742 chip but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.

Could someone let me know if those modules aren't going to work and if not, why?

Similarly, if they should work, what I can try to detect input on the Rpi?
Those aren't going to work. They are a pair of boards that allow the use of an hdmi lead to place a Pi camera module further away from the Pi. They do not convert hdmi to csi2.
I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually blown part of the Pi, or potentially even your hdmi source.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Glurt
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 am

Those aren't going to work. They are a pair of boards that allow the use of an hdmi lead to place a Pi camera module further away from the Pi. They do not convert hdmi to csi2.
Thanks for the straightforward reply, looks like they were a waste of money then! If I was to find one of the B101 boards is it still going to be a pain to setup like this thread indicates or have things progressed recently?
I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually blown part of the Pi, or potentially even your hdmi source.
What makes you say this? My Chromecast/Laptop are still working fine as is the Pi.

Thanks again for the help.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4244
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 am

Glurt wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 am
If I was to find one of the B101 boards is it still going to be a pain to setup like this thread indicates or have things progressed recently?
Finding is easy enough, though not cheap - https://auvidea.com/b101-hdmi-to-csi-2- ... 5-pin-fpc/ and https://auvidea.com/product/70501/
The drivers are still under development. It depends what exactly you want to do - the raspi_tc358743 app does a reasonable job at automatically switching to the appropriate input, and encoding the data.
Even once we have kernel support, that isn't the end of the story as something has to consume that data and do something useful with it.
Glurt wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually blown part of the Pi, or potentially even your hdmi source.
What makes you say this? My Chromecast/Laptop are still working fine as is the Pi.
Have you checked the Pi camera input using a camera module? IIRC The HDMI and CSI2 signal levels differ by several volts, and there is certainly only minimal input protection on the CSI2 input on the Pi. Push it too far and you will have fried things.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RpiName
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:14 am

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Glurt wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 am
If I was to find one of the B101 boards is it still going to be a pain to setup like this thread indicates or have things progressed recently?
In case you missed this one:
https://www.linux-projects.org/2017/07/ ... -tc358743/

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests