bryanbailes

Re: HDMI to CSI-2 via TC358743 on kernel 4.1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 am

carlos.rodriguez wrote:First of all, I've "solved" my issue with the GoPro Hero 5 and the B101 board. I don't know the reason but if I connect an HDMI switch between the GoPro and the board everything works great. (link to the switch used: http://www.tecknet.co.uk/hdmi03.html). No need to power the switch with the MicroUSB included.
I've been sniffing EDID data and the switch does not change it so the issue is not there. I also tried with a GoPro Hero 3 and it works fine without the need of the switch. Anyway, I can live with that.
The reason is because the GoPro Hero 5 utilizes HDCP, while the GoPro Hero 3 does not (nor does the Hero 4). Your HDMI switch is then stripping out the HDCP. The B101 board does not support HDCP.

bortek

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Can anyone confirm that Auvidea B102 is working?

ChrisR20XX

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 pm

I am using EZ-Wifibroadcast which is a software solution to broadcast video wireless between Pi's. It's using raspivid and as such it does work with the B101.
However when I connect my Laptop to the B101 is being recognized as a Toshiba device with a highest resolution of 720p.

From reading this thread up and down I understand that this is because the EDID information being fed by raspivid to the tc358743 is not correct. Using raspi_tc358743.c would make more resolutions up to 1080p25 selectable on my Laptop? Does raspi_tc358743.c behave like raspivid apart from sending more EDIDs to the chip? Is it supporting all the parameters you can use on raspivid? Or is raspi_tc358743.c a rather different application just for displaying the video from the B101?

A rather different approach that came to my mind was using raspivid and an EDID Override Tool on my Laptop. Has anyone got experience in doing that or is there a reason why this expected to fail?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 pm

ChrisR20XX wrote:I am using EZ-Wifibroadcast which is a software solution to broadcast video wireless between Pi's. It's using raspivid and as such it does work with the B101.
However when I connect my Laptop to the B101 is being recognized as a Toshiba device with a highest resolution of 720p.

From reading this thread up and down I understand that this is because the EDID information being fed by raspivid to the tc358743 is not correct. Using raspi_tc358743.c would make more resolutions up to 1080p25 selectable on my Laptop? Does raspi_tc358743.c behave like raspivid apart from sending more EDIDs to the chip? Is it supporting all the parameters you can use on raspivid? Or is raspi_tc358743.c a rather different application just for displaying the video from the B101?

A rather different approach that came to my mind was using raspivid and an EDID Override Tool on my Laptop. Has anyone got experience in doing that or is there a reason why this expected to fail?
Using raspivid, if the source produces anything other than 720P you will get corruption. The GPU side is set up only to handle 720P input.

raspi_tc358743.c is a totally separate app at https://github.com/6by9/userland/blob/h ... tc358743.c. It displays and optionally encodes the stream from the TC358743.
No it doesn't have all the options of raspivid, although it can be modified to support many of them. None of the image controls (eg saturation, contrast, brightness, etc) are currently supported by the pipeline, and it will require firmware mods to do so. Nor does it have circular buffering, inline motion vectors, or the other encoding parameters, but those can probably be copy and pasted fairly easily.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Glurt

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place.

I was looking at buying the B101 but I couldn't find any available, I did find these Aducam modules however https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Extensio ... B06XDNBM63

The problem is that I can't get them to work, which is how I found this thread.

I've installed OSMC and connected one of the modules to the board and then plugged a Chromecast/Laptop into the hdmi port. Running

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_camera
gives me
support=1 detected=0
. I've also tried using a HDMI splitter in case it was a hdcp issue.

I'm starting to think these might not be suitable as a replacement to the B101 as they don't appear to have the TC358742 chip but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.

Could someone let me know if those modules aren't going to work and if not, why?

Similarly, if they should work, what I can try to detect input on the Rpi?

Thanks

6by9

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 am

Glurt wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 pm
Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the right place.

I was looking at buying the B101 but I couldn't find any available, I did find these Aducam modules however https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Extensio ... B06XDNBM63

The problem is that I can't get them to work, which is how I found this thread.

I've installed OSMC and connected one of the modules to the board and then plugged a Chromecast/Laptop into the hdmi port. Running

vcgencmd get_camera
gives me
support=1 detected=0
. I've also tried using a HDMI splitter in case it was a hdcp issue.

I'm starting to think these might not be suitable as a replacement to the B101 as they don't appear to have the TC358742 chip but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.

Could someone let me know if those modules aren't going to work and if not, why?

Similarly, if they should work, what I can try to detect input on the Rpi?
Those aren't going to work. They are a pair of boards that allow the use of an hdmi lead to place a Pi camera module further away from the Pi. They do not convert hdmi to csi2.
I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually blown part of the Pi, or potentially even your hdmi source.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Glurt

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 am

Those aren't going to work. They are a pair of boards that allow the use of an hdmi lead to place a Pi camera module further away from the Pi. They do not convert hdmi to csi2.
Thanks for the straightforward reply, looks like they were a waste of money then! If I was to find one of the B101 boards is it still going to be a pain to setup like this thread indicates or have things progressed recently?
I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually blown part of the Pi, or potentially even your hdmi source.
What makes you say this? My Chromecast/Laptop are still working fine as is the Pi.

Thanks again for the help.

6by9

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 am

Glurt wrote:
If I was to find one of the B101 boards is it still going to be a pain to setup like this thread indicates or have things progressed recently?
Finding is easy enough, though not cheap - https://auvidea.com/b101-hdmi-to-csi-2- ... 5-pin-fpc/ and https://auvidea.com/product/70501/
The drivers are still under development. It depends what exactly you want to do - the raspi_tc358743 app does a reasonable job at automatically switching to the appropriate input, and encoding the data.
Even once we have kernel support, that isn't the end of the story as something has to consume that data and do something useful with it.
Glurt wrote:
What makes you say this? My Chromecast/Laptop are still working fine as is the Pi.
Have you checked the Pi camera input using a camera module? IIRC The HDMI and CSI2 signal levels differ by several volts, and there is certainly only minimal input protection on the CSI2 input on the Pi. Push it too far and you will have fried things.

RpiName

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Glurt wrote:
If I was to find one of the B101 boards is it still going to be a pain to setup like this thread indicates or have things progressed recently?
In case you missed this one:
https://www.linux-projects.org/2017/07/ ... -tc358743/

paolohu

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Orbital6 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:29 pm
auvidea wrote:...
Hi Jurgen, I've been trying to get 4 lanes working to allow 1080p50 to work, as i've also been helping Dave with the beta testing, as far as i know i'm the only one that's got audio working too so it won't be a bad idea if you redirect your offers for beta testing to me ;) (you seem to have ignored my previous emails).
Orbital6,

Have you documented getting audio to work anywhere? If not could you share? I've gotten other I2S audio input boards to work but am not having a lot of luck with the auvidea one thus far.

bryanbailes

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:06 am

paolohu wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:52 pm
Orbital6 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:29 pm
auvidea wrote:...
Hi Jurgen, I've been trying to get 4 lanes working to allow 1080p50 to work, as i've also been helping Dave with the beta testing, as far as i know i'm the only one that's got audio working too so it won't be a bad idea if you redirect your offers for beta testing to me ;) (you seem to have ignored my previous emails).
Orbital6,

Have you documented getting audio to work anywhere? If not could you share? I've gotten other I2S audio input boards to work but am not having a lot of luck with the auvidea one thus far.
+1. Has anybody been able to do this successfully? I have also had no luck.

acayulao

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi guys,
I read a bit in this thread and I have this situation:

1) I have connected raspberry Pi 3 to B101 to HDMI wire to GoPro Hero 4 Black using the micro hdmi port and I have video signal output using gstreamer. I use the software 'Companion Computer' from ArduSub and I have the video stream when I open QGroundControl in my computer. I have connected Raspberry Pi and my computer using ethernet port and with a static ip direction.

2) I have three problems:
2.1) When I push the buton to record in the gopro camera, the video signal is lost. I can feed the gopro camera using usb port and I still have video stream, but if I want record in gopro camera (this record of video remains in ultraHD and I need). the stream video is lost and the only way to recovered is restarting de raspberry Pi, not works killall with raspivid and gstreamer.

2.2) When I want reload the program to send video this not works, and sometimes have a strange behavior. Also when the raspberry connect to (temporarily) a raspi monitor this device also is frozen when the program is stopped or when I start record in Gopro camera.

2.3) If I want see the video in the raspberry -with a monitor connected- using VLC I can't find where is the device. I use for this:
$ ls /dev/

I also updated the raspberry Pi today with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot

I think that the problem is the software raspivid for my first problem, but I don't know how detect that this is stopped and reload it with success.
The most strange for me is that sometime ago, the record of video in gopro camera hero 4 worked fine.

About recharge the raspivid I don't know why this happen.

And when the device is not detected in Raspberry Pi, to be show in vlc, but I still have the video stream in my computer is very weird for me and I don't know what think.

Sorry if the problem is not for here, I hope that someone can help me.
Greetings!

bryanbailes

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I think that the problem is the software raspivid for my first problem, but I don't know how detect that this is stopped and reload it with success.
I think all of your problems are because of raspivid. Quit using it. 6by9 has posted several times that raspivid is not supported, and has released userspace applications to replace it.

acayulao

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 pm

bryanbailes wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm
I think all of your problems are because of raspivid. Quit using it. 6by9 has posted several times that raspivid is not supported, and has released userspace applications to replace it.
I was searching and I couldn't found some app that make this, Do you suggest that I use pycamera instead?

I need make only this:

raspivid --nopreview \
--mode 5 \
--bitrate 15000000 \
--intra 1 \
--awb auto \
--brightness 55 \
--saturation 10 \
--sharpness 50 \
--contrast 15 \
--drc medium \
-roi 0.02,0.0,0.81,0.85 \
-fl \
--timeout 0 \
--output - | \
gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! \
udpsink host=192.168.2.1 port=5600

Any suggestions? please :c
Greetings

6by9

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 pm

acayulao wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 pm
I was searching and I couldn't found some app that make this, Do you suggest that I use pycamera instead?

I need make only this:

raspivid --nopreview \
--mode 5 \
--bitrate 15000000 \
--intra 1 \
--awb auto \
--brightness 55 \
--saturation 10 \
--sharpness 50 \
--contrast 15 \
--drc medium \
-roi 0.02,0.0,0.81,0.85 \
-fl \
--timeout 0 \
--output - | \
gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! \
udpsink host=192.168.2.1 port=5600

Any suggestions? please :c
Greetings
Read this thread and you will be directed at https://github.com/6by9/userland/blob/h ... tc358743.c

git clone https://github.com/6by9/userland.git
cd userland
git checkout -t -b hdmi_in_hack origin/hdmi_in_hack
./buildme
raspi_tc358743
Options of "-o <filename> -n" to encode and save the data.

Almost certainly your issue is that raspivid will ONLY work with 720P input, and from previous reports the GoPro decides that it wants to put out 1080P. As already stated there will be no updates to the firmware to change the behaviour of raspivid in this regard.

The CSI-2 receiver driver is on v4 of code review for merging in to the mainline kernel, so all being well that should happen in the next couple of weeks. That'll then give you a full V4L2 driver for the TC358743, and then people can do whatever they like with it as it is all fully open source.

Torna

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the whole thread and i'm still a bit confused.

I have RPi 3 running Jessie and the B101 rev 4 connected to a GoPro4. I can get the images with raspivid and v4l2-ctl.

But, I'm trying to save a video file in mp4, in 1080p25/30 or 720p25/30 but I don't get any result.

I always get slow videos, and one minute recording produce a 1m20s video file :/

Is their something i can test to see what's wrong ?

Thank you very with anticipation,

6by9

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:24 am

Torna wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm
I have RPi 3 running Jessie and the B101 rev 4 connected to a GoPro4. I can get the images with raspivid and v4l2-ctl.
Which V4L2 driver are you using? If bcm2835-v4l2 then you are using the firmware driver for the TC358743 the same as raspivid. That is not a supported option, and will only ever accept 720P60.
Torna wrote:But, I'm trying to save a video file in mp4, in 1080p25/30 or 720p25/30 but I don't get any result.

I always get slow videos, and one minute recording produce a 1m20s video file :/

Is their something i can test to see what's wrong ?
raspivid (and v4l2-ctl if using bcm2835-v4l2) will be saving an H264 elementary stream. Elementary streams have no timestamp or frame rate information within the stream. The application you are using to convert it into a container is therefore having to make an assumption, and that is normally 25fps. 60seconds * 30 / 25 = 72, so I would expect 1min12secs of video.
Add an appropriate flag (normally "-r 30" for avformat or ffmpeg) to tell the application the correct frame rate for the stream.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”