geekinthesticks

Re: Weather Station now running

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks, I'll order the rain gauge and anemometer. Any idea how accurate the rain gauge is? I have looked at quite a few tipping rain gauges and they are all > £100. I don't need it to be super accurate, but don't want to fiddle about setting one up if it's totally inaccurate.

TechColab

Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 am

The replacement parts for weather gubbins that Maplin do very cheaply seem to be the same as the quite expensive kit from SparkFun (who have a manual for it !!) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8942
I have the rain gauge - reed switch changes once per bucket full (details in the manual above).
I have the wind vane - 8 reed switches each with a different resistor. Adjacent reeds can be closed at the same time, giving 16 possible directions (details in the manual but note the table amendment in the discussion).
I found that my 5v isn't, so I have 1 ADC channel measuring the vane (from 5v via 10k) and 1 ADC channel measuring the 5v line. Comparing the two should give me a reliable percentage to identify the direction regardless of 5v load.
I also have 1 of the cup anemometers (also in the manual) and the other on order for comparison.
Having dismantled them all, the SparkFun manual is 100% so I'm certain that it's the same kit.

geekinthesticks

Wed May 01, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for the information, especially the link to the datasheet. I have ordered them from Maplins, now I just need to find a pole of suitable diameter to mount them on.

bcre3306

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi

Does anyone know a way to set up events based off certain criteria? For example if the indoor temp gets to say 35 degrees then it would send out an email letting me know?
Thanks!!

geekinthesticks

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Depends on how you are monitoring your temp. I read my sensors every 5min using a python script run via cron. It would be easy to add a check for temp > 35 and fire off an email.

bcre3306

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:30 am

geekinthesticks wrote:Depends on how you are monitoring your temp. I read my sensors every 5min using a python script run via cron. It would be easy to add a check for temp > 35 and fire off an email.
I run it with livelogger, unless I log out a bunch and grep the output, I don't see a way to do it.

bcre3306

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Does anyone know why the rain shows a negative value in the 1 hour page? In all the others it pulls it correctly.
Thanks

PaulCheffus

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm

bcre3306 wrote:Does anyone know why the rain shows a negative value in the 1 hour page? In all the others it pulls it correctly.
Thanks
Hi

Yes it's because the calculation appears to be the wrong way around. I changed mine to the line below

Code: Select all

prevdata['rain'] - data['rain']
from

data['rain'] - prevdata['rain']
This is in the 1hrs.txt file which will be in your text directory

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

bcre3306

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Thank you!

pingu512

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks to everyone who has added their RPi connected weather station to the map at http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk

pingu512

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks to all those who contacted my about a problem adding their weather stations to the map at www.weather.dragontail.co.uk
I have now fixed it by changing the database from PostgeSQL to MySQL
The problem was cause by my hosting company doing an upgrade.

bcre3306

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi

I am really enjoying this setup but I am having one minor issue I am hoping someone can help me with. On the 24 Hours Full page my rainfall graph is messed up for the "total rainfall". As soon as I get any rain it pretty much shoots right off the charts. Obviously it's calculating something incorrectly but I just can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated.

FYI my 24hrs_full_features.png.xml has this for that calculation:
<ycalc>data['rain'] + last_ycalc</ycalc>
<title>Total rainfall (in)</title>

pingu512

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:25 pm

I cannot see anything wrong with the lines you have displayed, but there may be something else wrong in the file.
Suggest breaking the problem down to a much simpler case.
Create an XML graph template of just the total rain for a specific date.
Test it using the command line

usage: python -m pywws.Plot [options] data_dir temp_dir xml_file output_file
options are:
-h or --help display this help
data_dir is the root directory of the weather data
temp_dir is a workspace for temporary files e.g. /tmp
xml_file is the name of the source file that describes the plot
output_file is the name of the image file to be created e.g. 24hrs.png

Ben2013

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi, has anyone had any problems with the dragontail image, I've tried with two different cards, but the pi does nothing apart from showing a red light. It seems to work fine with the standard raspbian image. Had problems with installing the software while following the guide as well, things wouldn't install etc.

Anyone else had problems installing it.

Pi is only a month old.

Ben

pingu512

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Ben
A couple of questions.
Did the image write to the card without errors?
Do you have a monitor connected to the pi at boot up.
Are there any errors?
The image should boot to a command prompt and is based on 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian with the pywws application preloaded.
What size SD card are you using?

Ben2013

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 am

Hi,

There are no errors when I write the image.
Monitor is connected, but shows nothing.
Tried it with 4 & 16 gb cards.
I do have a model A as well, and it boots on that.
The model B, does nothing with that image on it.
Any suggestions welcome.

pingu512

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi
I just tried downloading the image file, unzipped it, wrote the weather_raspberry.img to a 4gb SD card (formatted to fat32) using "Win32 disk manager" and the Raspberry Pi booted straight up.
Did you unzip the downloaded file?

Link address https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/972 ... pberry.zip
from www.dragontail.co.uk

jondave

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi I have also tried the dragontail image on a model B with no success.
Ive downloaded the image from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/972 ... pberry.zip
Unzipped and wrote weather_raspberry.img a SD card using Win32 disk manager and the pi does nothing only a red light and no output to the monitor.
Any suggestions please.

pingu512

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with the image, but I am in the process of updating the tutorial to make it a bit simpler, plus I will be creating a new image with the latest wheezy and pywws preconfigured.
Should be ready in about a week for all those Christmas present weather stations.

Just in case its a power issue, try booting with no usb devices attached, just the power supply and monitor.

pingu512

Maplin Weather Station now running

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Revised tutorial at weather.dragontail.co.uk, based on the latest version of pywws. As well as a new preconfigured image.
I have tried to make the tutorial a little bit simpler.
Comments please on this post.
Last edited by pingu512 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Your URL is incorrect.
I assume you meant http://weather.dragontail.co.uk/index.p ... tion_setup

Also which of the thirty one models of Maplin weather station are you using?
How about a direct link to the part number on Maplin.co.uk?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

jondave

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks, the new image works for me, you have to use the Pi though ssh using putty or similar as the monitor output is not set on first use.

pingu512

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 am

Correct
The web site is http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk
The Maplin weather station I am using is the USBWireless touch from Maplin. Currently £59.99
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wir ... ster-n96gy

pingu512

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Sorry about dropbox blocking the pre built image, but too many downloads. Its now back working, but I have an alternative it it stops working again.

Niall101

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi pingu,

Thanks for your tutorial - being totally new to Linux, it was a godsend!!

However, I did have a few issues, specifically with the Cython install - I could not get this to work at all. Eventually I found that Cython is now on version 0.19.2 (or something), and I managed (somehow !!) to modify your tutorial to get things to work.

By the way, for any others who are new to Linux, and who (like me) could not get the <wget> commands to work, then "STOP".... and get your partner/best friend/pet dog to type in the instruction instead. You will utterly fail to spot, on your own, where you were repeating (endlessly) the same typo that was causing the command to fail every time. This is a hard lesson to learn but, once encountered, will be unlikely to be forgotten!

I am still struggling with the tail end of your tutorial, where the Pi starts to download data from the Weather Station. I think that your tutorial might benefit from describing what files are going to be created at each stage, and where they are going to be stored. I ended up using the <startx> GUI to 'sniff around' inside the created folders and files, convincing myself that valid data had actually been obtained from the Station (I ended up with bi-hourly data, or one line of acquired data every 30-minutes - all verified by 'scrolling back' on the TouchScreen of the main Station, and also by looking at the data downloaded into the supplie PC software).

In the (currently) third section of your tutorial, referrring to "weather.ini" configuration, there are two references to the following command:

python -m pywws.LogData -vvv ~/weather/data
The first reference seems (to me, with my limited experience in Linux and Python) to be 'out of place'. Am I missing something?

I then finally reach your reference to the <pywws.Process> command - and this is where I am stalling. I seem to get a huge list of output, none of which is very reassuring, and most of which seems to suggest that, if I continue, very bad things will happen to me an my family !!

Naturally, I believe that teh error is all my doing, but that (so far) isn't helping.

When I get home, I'll try and capture the output (no idea 'how' exactly !!) and will post it here to see if it means anything to the 'guri' amongst you.

And, that's where I'm up to now. Delighted and still enthusiastic!

Cheers,
Niall
Scatch-built BBC B in 82: blank PCB+scavenged plastics& PSU. Sinclair Calc & ZX81 kits in 74&82. PONG (AY-3-8500) in 77. 1st PC in 89: 386/25+387&10MbHDD. Have previewed pictures with my PiCam. I'll maybe save one next week (new to Linux)!

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”