pingu512

Re: Weather Station now running

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

SD card failed again. Last time I should have changed it for a new one, but just used one that had been lying around. Luckily my RPi copies the rawfiles to the server every week and it did email me as soon as there was a problem.
I had to follow my own instructions at www.weather.dragontail.co.uk which do work! Hooray :D

PaulCheffus

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 pm

pingu512 wrote:SD card failed again. Last time I should have changed it for a new one, but just used one that had been lying around. Luckily my RPi copies the rawfiles to the server every week and it did email me as soon as there was a problem.
I had to follow my own instructions at http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk which do work! Hooray :D
Hi

I backed up the sd card once I'd set it all up so I can just image a new one if it dies. I plan to copy the data to a USB drive plugged into the Pi but I need to get another powerline adaptor so I can connect the Ethernet cable and remove the wireless dongle. At the moment I am using FileZilla to copy the data to my PC on an ad hoc basis so long as I do it at least every ten days I should be fine.

I forgot to thank you for your guide without which I doubt I would ever have got it all working.

I have a few plans for the future as I would like to include moon phases and sunset / sunrise times plus it would be nice too get the website to display a snow symbol in the forecast (the head unit seems to manage this so there must be an algorithm to do this). I'll need to learn Python first though.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

pingu512

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Add your weather station connected RPi to the map at
www.weather.dragontail.co.uk

PaulCheffus

Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:20 pm

pingu512 wrote:Add your weather station connected RPi to the map at
http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk
Hi

I have now done so.

Cheers

Paul

600stu

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm

I've followed all the instructions to set pywws up on my RasPi but can't get it set up to post to twitter.

i'm following: http://jim-easterbrook.github.com/pywws ... itter.html

Step 5 gives me the following:

Code: Select all

python Template.py ~/weather/data ~/weather/templates/tweet.txt tweet.txt cat tweet.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Template.py", line 22, in <module>
    from .conversions import (
ValueError: Attempted relative import in non-package

I'm brand new to python so don't know what this could be - any ideas?

600stu

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 pm

problem sorted.

Instead of running Template.py i had to change it to RunModule.py Template.

Jim over on the pywws messageboard said this was something to do with making it compatible with python 3...

bcre3306

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 pm

anybody else having a problem that after running for a while (several days or weeks) it just stops reporting? I still see the process running, no errors in the log and a simple restart gets everything working again and all missing data is caught back up so no gaps in the charts? I figured I could just cron out a nightly reboot to help address this is need be but would like to get root cause if possible.
Thanks

pingu512

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 pm

make sure your running the latest version of pywws. The newer versions sync the clocks.

pingu512

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Following a number of requests, I have created an image file already set up with pywws, crontab and shell scripts to interface to the Maplin USB weather station.
Full details on my web site at http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk
Have fun

geppetto

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Many thanks for the image..

You're a star 8-)

Philip

toaken

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Did you have a script or something so I can send out weather from pywws to APRS-IS?

MaddogBattie

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the process of sorting myself out a weather station and just have to make a decision on which one to get. Obliviously, the Maplin N96FY is one to consider but is there anything else better under £150?

Top Tip: For those thinking of getting the Maplin N96FY it is currently showing as £99.99 online but my local Maplin store has it on special at £59.99 until mid May. I think I'll be getting one - unless anybody can suggest something better.

MaddogBattie

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking for the ultimate and can live with a certain amount of faff in keeping it running I guess.

edit - thanks for the tip off regarding part numbers. Both are on the maplin site with N96GY being on special off so you can get it at discount via the website. The N96FY doesn't have the discount.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-touchscreen ... ter-228825
http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless-to ... ter-223254

I can't see any differences in the spec between the two.
Last edited by MaddogBattie on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rj999

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 pm

"I'd be interested to know if anyone else has suffered from 'sticky' aneomometers that refuse to spin and if so how the fixed the problem."
I've seen the same issue posted elsewhere, and mine suffered from it within a few weeks of starting. It would appear the bearings come from China in an un- or poorly lubricated condition. Carefully prise off the top to expose the bearing and give it a drop of 3 in 1 oil. It's been OK since. I did the same on the wind vane since that uses the same bearing.
How long it will last remains to be seen. If the lubricant is short lived, I might try with some graphite loaded oil, or maybe a bit of Molybdenum Disulphide grease diluted with oil. It's clearly quite important that the lubricant does not cause too much drag and thus affect the speed reading.
My N6GY actually came from a Maplin outlet on Ebay and cost £44.99: it seemed brand new.

PaulCheffus

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Yfory wrote:
However, also, some feedback; I've had not one but two anemometers (Maplin call them simply 'wind speed recorders') fail on me. At £2.50 they're not expensive replacement parts, but 2 failures in less than a year suggests something wrong with the hardware and it's a cost that could add up. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has suffered from 'sticky' aneomometers that refuse to spin and if so how the fixed the problem.
Hi

The only time mine has stuck was earlier this year when it froze. It's been alright since.

Cheers

Paul

pingu512

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Anyone tried the weather station image at www.weather.dragontail.co.uk
It would be useful to have some feed back!

rj999

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

"Anyone tried the weather station image at http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk"
Yes. Me!. Very nice, but sadly I had to hack it all about a lot since my free ISP provided web space doesn't support server side php stuff.
And on mine, which is not public, I've added in graphs for my light recorder.
Edit: Actually I've realised you are talking about your prebuilt image. I used the instructions that were there before you built this.

Zodiac69

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi Yfory

I tried to use your "Git" install but got a bit confused...
It seems that my install did not go well as my folder structure looked incomplete.
I had quite a bit of errors at the end.

I would like to start from fresh again, is there something else i need to do before i use your install script?

Z69

Zodiac69

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 am

I am using Raspbian “wheezy” as downloaded from the download section on http://www.raspberry.org
The only thing i did before i ran your install was:
1. Install tightvnc
2. Setup usb wifi adapter

I shall do a "Fresh" start again and keep you informed.
I am using Rev.1 of the R-PI, part of the 1st ones they shipped, do not think that it should make a difference.
I am using Fine Offset WH3080, it has UV and solar sensors as well

Z69

Zodiac69

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Yfory

I did a clean install again, all went fine up to line 57 of you script.
See Git for error log
Z69

aideen

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:22 am

Yfory wrote:
rj999 wrote:give it a drop of 3 in 1 oil.
I apologise if this sounds silly, but what is 3 in 1 oil? I'm a software engineer learning a lot about the hardware side thanks to Pi. ;) At any rate, I took your idea but substituted it for WD40 and it is spinning perfectly now. (A third replacement is somewhere in the post anyway, so if you scream WD40 was a bad idea, it's okay.)
See: http://www.3inone.com/
[I'm a computer person who spent too many hours playing with full size meccano sets :-) (Triumph GT6, Toyota MR2 (try finding 'lithium soap base glycol grease' for the rear calipers), Caterham 7)]

I had the same problem with the wind speed sensor and was impressed with the efficiency that Maplin replaced it for free (arranged by the local Cambridge shop).

rj999

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 pm

I think my can of 3 in 1 was one of the last purchases I made in the late Woolworths! Sorry I missed the post questioning it.
One does need to be a bit wary about the effect of some oils on some plastics. Some years ago I got a plastic bottle of the Castrol equivalent to 3 in 1 light machine oil. It was very cheap and I found out why about a year later when the bottle just disintegrated. Excessively Biodegradable!
Curiously, while the wind vane and anemometer continue to work OK, the remote humidity and temp sensor ceased working yesterday morning having been running for a couple of months. It was frozen in some way and sent a constant 7.5C and 86% humidity back all the time.
Eventually, I took the remote unit apart. The sensors are on a little daughter board. Removing this caused the station to cease transmitting the relevant information completely, though the wind recorders were still operative. Fortunately I have a temp controlled soldering iron with a 1mm bit, so I reflowed all the joints I could find on the daughter board and put it all back together again. I hate working with these tiny little surface mount components, but the fix worked!!!

geekinthesticks

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 am

Does anyone happen to know how the Maplin rain gauge, etc work. I was thinking of just buying the cheap replacement ones, as I have everything else I need for my weather station, so don't need the full Maplin USB gizmo. I am assuming that they just generate a pulse each time the rain bucket tips, or the wind vane spins.

rj999

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes the rain gauge is a pair of tipping buckets on an arm with a magnet and reed relay, which is why mine used to read wrongly when it was up on a wobbly pole. The anemometer is the same, 1 magnet and a reed relay. Not looked inside the wind vane. but it's all only run from a single pair of wires.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”