stidrvr

Pi to CNC

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm super excited for my B to get here today. I originally bought for a project but my brain got back onto a CNC project that fizzled out a few years ago. I been looking all over for the best way to link up the Pi and CNC. I then realized that because of the 3.3v and 5v debacle, an Arduino would be better. Granted, I'd then have to use multiple motor shields, via and Alamode or some other Arduino. I need the shields because of the amperage need for the Nema23 steppers (2A+). I just stumbled on the TinyG this morning and this really does everything that I need, the only thing is the cost ($125). Granted adding up the Alamode or an Arduino along the shields raises the cost too ($65 via Adafruit).

Is there anything that I may be missing? Or some other method that I haven't found yet?

The reason for the lower cost is because this machine is intended to be used only to build a better one. I plan to use this machine to cut parts for a better one. I know I can reuse the electronics, but ideally Id like to get a TinyG or better done the road and use these components for a 3D Printer.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”